MASS KILLINGS AT SCHOOL in Newtown, Connecticut, USA

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Volante wrote:
    As Moby said, "if stricter gun control saves even one child's life isn't it worth it?"
    And that's not a lot to ask, it's NOT banning! Just safeguards...
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 129
    chrisisall wrote:
    Volante wrote:
    As Moby said, "if stricter gun control saves even one child's life isn't it worth it?"

Why can't the USA accept gun laws like the UK, we still have shotguns & hunting rifles, just no handguns or automatic weapons in civilian hands, yes criminals or more specific big city gangs have handguns but they tend to kill their own, with the odd tragic exception. The UK isn't perfect, far from it, we have a major knife problem, but the thing about knifes are you can't indiscriminately kill multiple innocents before someone could intervene. This will make Americans laugh we even have a register for airsoft replicas, that's how tough our gun restrictions are.
  • RC7RC7
    edited December 2012 Posts: 10,512
    chrisisall wrote:
    Volante wrote:

Why can't the USA accept gun laws like the UK, we still have shotguns & hunting rifles, just no handguns in civilian hands, yes criminals or more specific big city gangs have handguns but they tend to kill their own, with the odd tragic exception. The UK isn't perfect, far from it, we have a major knife problem, but the thing about knifes are you can't indiscriminately kill multiple innocents before someone could intervene. This will make Americans laugh we even have a register for airsoft replicas, that how tough our gun restrictions.

Exactly, pull any kind of firearm, even a brightly coloured water gun and you're in serious trouble.
  • RC7 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Volante wrote:

Why can't the USA accept gun laws like the UK, we still have shotguns & hunting rifles, just no handguns in civilian hands, yes criminals or more specific big city gangs have handguns but they tend to kill their own, with the odd tragic exception. The UK isn't perfect, far from it, we have a major knife problem, but the thing about knifes are you can't indiscriminately kill multiple innocents before someone could intervene. This will make Americans laugh we even have a register for airsoft replicas, that how tough our gun restrictions.

Exactly, pull any kind of firearm, even a brightly coloured water gun and you're in serious trouble.

I've got a mate who's French, doesn't speak great English, works with a Michelin Stared Chef, he was stopped & detained by Police because he couldn't explain easily why he had 5 knives in a roll up carry pouch, I had to go down the station & explain, almost cost him his job, we had a laugh afterwards plus I got a cracking meal for nothing as a thank you, but Jesus our authorities are at the opposite extreme of the USA.
  • RC7 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Volante wrote:

.... but Jesus our authorities are at the opposite extreme of the USA.

Yes, and so are your school children - yours are all still alive.

The problem here in the USA is far too many people feel we never have anything to learn from any other country. Because the idea that we're 'the greatest country in history' is so consistantly drilled into our heads from such a young age, the thought that any other country has a better idea than us, or is better at something than us, becomes a ridiculous thought not even worth considering.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just wonder how many more of these incidents have to occur before something drastic is done to hamper them.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just wonder how many more of these incidents have to occur before something drastic is done to hamper them.
    Can you count to infinity?
    Really, it's a monetary issue.
    CREAM.*

*cash rules everything around me.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I never wanted this thread to become an argument about gun laws.....just a place to give condolences to the victims and their families.

Having said that. I shall give my two cents on the subject.

Taking away guns in this country would go against the very basic principles our founding fathers wished for this great land. Taking them away would cause so much turmoil and ultimately possibly riots and outbreak (especially in Texas..were they do things their way).

Although the way people get these guns must change across the board. There has to be a better way!

5 days after this tragedy I think the media needs to start giving this a break and stop shuffling it down our throats. It's becoming to repetitive.
    I never wanted this thread to become an argument about gun laws.....just a place to give condolences to the victims and their families.

Taking away guns in this country would go against the very basic principles our founding fathers wished for this great land. Your 2nd amendment speaks about REGULATED militia and was made with flintlocks and not automatic and or assault rifles in mind Taking them away would cause so much turmoil and ultimately possibly riots and outbreak (especially in Texas..were they do things their way).

Although the way people get these guns must change across the board. There has to be a better way!

5 days after this tragedy I think the media needs to start giving this a break and stop shuffling it down our throats. It's becoming to repetitive.

I am sorry the press get repetitive about the death of a bunch of six and seven years old because adults and their decisions make no sense whatsoever. But yes, I agree you should have the right to quickly forget this so you can go on with your life.
    Those basterds of the press are really out to be nuissance, don't you think?

• I never wanted this thread to become an argument about gun laws.....just a place to give condolences to the victims and their families.

Taking away guns in this country would go against the very basic principles our founding fathers wished for this great land. Taking them away would cause so much turmoil and ultimately possibly riots and outbreak (especially in Texas..were they do things their way).

The Founding Father's lived in a different time, a new frontier that was very hostile, they had single shot smooth bore black powder flintlock pistols & rifles, I'm sure James Madison would have thought twice about adding the 2nd amendment had he had a crystal ball.

If you don't mind me saying your attitude is part of the problem, people today are too quick to forget, people talk of a civilised society, put there is no such thing, everyone is so self absorbed in their own little world that your reaction is only to be expected.
    We should not forget.
    And if this doesn't make you feel like crying, at least a tiny bit, you may need to fine tune your emotion chip.
    Yeah we should never forget...but can I watch my local news with out seeing the same things over and over again. Some people myself included will not forget the incident but by god do we have to hear about it 24/7?

The Founding Father's lived in a different time, a new frontier that was very hostile, they had single shot smooth bore black powder flintlock pistols & rifles, I'm sure James Madison would have thought twice about adding the 2nd amendment had he had a crystal ball.

If you don't mind me saying your attitude is part of the problem, people today are too quick to forget, people talk of a civilised society, put there is no such thing, everyone is so self absorbed in their own little world that your reaction is only to be expected.

Your getting the wrong impression from me.......
    A sixth grader brought a gun to school to defend himself in the case of a Newtown-type attack happening to him:

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/national/6th-grader-brings-gun-to-school-says-he-brought-it-to-defend-himself-from-newtown-type-attack
    Like I said, no end to this nonsense.
    Yippi-kai-yea, ************.
  • Damn, that was a crisis averted. It's terrible- I almost can't blame the kid for thinking the way he did. The main issue here is how in the hell did he get a gun in the first place??? If this gun belonged to his parents, they are in deep trouble I bet....
    Damn, that was a crisis averted. It's terrible- I almost can't blame the kid for thinking the way he did. The main issue here is how in the hell did he get a gun in the first place??? If this gun belonged to his parents, they are in deep trouble I bet....

Just another case of incompetent parents who keep guns lying around for children to pick up and do whatever they want with.
  • I understand the argument that you need a gun to protect yourself against intruders. But that's all it does, in a situation where you have home advantage. Does this ever really happen though, is there any evidence of this? I mean, it's not the Wild West. If you hear someone break in in the night, well, are you really gonna have your gun handy? And if so, wouldn't it be as likely to be picked up by a kid and used on his or her sibling (and there is evidence of that happening).

Otherwise, well, frankly if you want to just take a gun and murder someone out of sheer evil revenge, well, there's nothing anyone can do about it! It's not even like Gunfight at OK Corral, where victory goes the one quickest on the draw. It's not like the kids are gonna be armed now is it? Or the teachers. You know, 'Better check my gun today in case there's a massacre..."

So I cannot see how liberal gun laws protect anyone, I mean these guys don't forewarn anyone do they?
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 129
    Basically these NRA types just want to act macho with their mates, with bigger & badder weapons, it's boys with toys, bloody dangerous toys which they won't accept caused this tragedy.
    Basically these NRA types just want to act macho with their mates, with bigger & badder weapons, it's boys with toys, bloody dangerous toys which they won't accept caused this tragedy.

Actually while I do have some serious contempt for those NRA lads they are not opposed against a ban on assault and military weapons or munitions like metal piercing bullits. They are in favor of weapons and such but not at all costs. This time they are appauled by what happened as most folks with common sense would have.

You'll find that the lobbyists for the big weapons manufacterers are mostly opposed against a ban on anything they can make money on, they do not care at all who dies as long as they make a buck.

I have to give kudos to Judd Apatow for keeping a sarcastic joke about child murder in 'This Is 40.' I've read that both Kesha's 'Die Young' and that 'Pumped Up Kicks' song are being pulled off of radios because it resembles the Newtown massacre too much. Same thing happened with the 'Gangster Squad' delay for reshoots after the Aurora massacre. I know they're tragic, but why should an artist/film have to change something that was created months before an incident occurred? I can understand, in a way, them pulling the songs, but don't trash the people who did it.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Why wouldn't one reconsider, 200 years later, those principles that were used when the country was formed? I can see 3 major differences:
    - You're not fighting a British occupation anymore, and you're not very likely to be invaded by them either.
    - There are no Indians anymore who might try to kill you in your frontier home/village/settlement
    - Fire arms have evolved from 1 shot per 5 minutes into 5000 shots a minute. One man with a semi-automatic is a 25.000 man army of the time of your founding fathers!

And your news has always been repetitive. I remember beeing in Florida and seeing a crane that had fallen over on the beach. on tv. all day long. Nobody was hurt. no really, no-one was. No. Six hours after the incident, still no-one was hurt! no really! Six helicopters were constantly flying over this crane, as it obviously was 'breaking news', a fallen crane, where no one was hurt. Nobody died. No, really, .......

But the thing is... you really don't have to watch TV. You can also use your time in productive ways.
    If you hear someone break in in the night, well, are you really gonna have your gun handy?
    Excuse me Mr. Burgler sir, whilst I unlock my gun safe...

Unless you hunt to put dinner on the table, or unless you live in an area with endless break-ins, or live in an outlying area far from civilization, guns are a hobby. So cool, go target shooting to your heart's desire, but leave bizarrely awesome firepower to the military & Halo.

When deer or mountain lions mutate to 10 times their size, gimme a call.

The way I see the whole 'defending my house against burgulars' thing is this:

Someone breaks into your house to steal your TV. So you shoot at them with an automatic weapon. The bullets go through the walls and you endanger your family more than a man after some quick cash ever could.

Defend your family, sure. But no one needs automatic weapons. And the hunting excuse is just as stupid, why would anyone need an assault rifle to take down a deer? The deer isn't going to shoot back.

These children should not die in vain. They lost their lives, and no child should ever lose their life again because of easy access to guns.

Why wouldn't one reconsider, 200 years later, those principles that were used when the country was formed? I can see 3 major differences:
    - You're not fighting a British occupation anymore, and you're not very likely to be invaded by them either.
    - There are no Indians anymore who might try to kill you in your frontier home/village/settlement
    - Fire arms have evolved from 1 shot per 5 minutes into 5000 shots a minute. One man with a semi-automatic is a 25.000 man army of the time of your founding fathers!

And your news has always been repetitive. I remember beeing in Florida and seeing a crane that had fallen over on the beach. on tv. all day long. Nobody was hurt. no really, no-one was. No. Six hours after the incident, still no-one was hurt! no really! Six helicopters were constantly flying over this crane, as it obviously was 'breaking news', a fallen crane, where no one was hurt. Nobody died. No, really, .......

But the thing is... you really don't have to watch TV. You can also use your time in productive ways.

you people are missing my point entirely.....

Is this a sad event?? Absolutely yes it is....I was at work when it happened and was glued to the TV the entire day shedding tears when the number of children killed was growing. Was it painful to watch... absolutely yes!!!!! 5 days later having to hear about the same event and the 20 children and 6 people killed...is it hard to still watch?? yes absolutely it is......are you getting my point??? It is hard to keep watching this on every news channel, even on my local news channels. I am devastated that such a massacre happened and my heart is heavy with frustration and sadness especially for those 20 innocent children.

They can reconsider about changing the amendment but the right to bear arms will live on. Can changes be made? absolutely...like making it harder for people to obtain firearms, and the mental health checks/background checks that must go along with them (this is a must). But purchasing and owning a hand gun will never go away ( and it should not)......I am completely willing for assault rifles and any other war weapon to be banned from owning and selling.
  • In 1791 when the second amendment to the US constitution was enacted, the intention was that people pioneering and settled in a largely lawless country be allowed to keep "muzzle loaders" for self protection. It was proportionate and nececerey.
    How this relates to people living in a modern society being allowed to keep weapons of modern warfare in their homes with their children having open access is extremely difficult to understand.
    I lived in the US, UK, France and Scandinavia. The latter have different but sensible gun laws.
    All have had tragedies but the sheer scale and repetition of the massacres in the US are proof positive that their laws are completely inadequate and they owe it to their children.
    Perhaps the UK have gone too fare with their outright pistol ban (we can no longer compete in the Olympics) but I'd rather have that than live next door to somebody who possesses weapons of war, unlimited ammunition and a mentally unstable son that has open access to all the aforementioned.
    The citizens of America owe it to their children to change.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So, since the day of the shootings, sales of firearms have increased a great deal due to fear of "harsh" gun regulations....incredible.
    doubleoego wrote:
    So, since the day of the shootings, sales of firearms have increased a great deal due to fear of "harsh" gun regulations....incredible.

Yeah, I checked, every gun dealer within a hundred miles of me is totally sold out of plasma rifles in 40 watt range; I'm out of luck. :-<
  • chrisisall wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Yeah, I checked, every gun dealer within a hundred miles of me is totally sold out of plasma rifles in 40 watt range; I'm out of luck. :-<

Yeh we in the UK have sold out of nerf guns, you know in case the world ends tomorrow! :))
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    chrisisall wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

What about Uzi 9mms or .45 long slides?