MASS KILLINGS AT SCHOOL in Newtown, Connecticut, USA

Comments

chrisisall wrote:
    echo wrote:
    The NRA/gun lobby gives the same stock responses with each shooting tragedy
    I think too many people are issued driver's licences

Too true. :))
    Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.
    We are going to keep on playing these scenes and mourning our dead until our lawmakers grow some spines.
    They are so afraid of that friggin gun lobby. We had an assault weapon ban during Clinton's administration then the war criminal George Bush let it expire in 2004.

An assault weapon has an effective range of over 400 meters. Why sell those things? You can't hunt with them and you sure as hell can't use them for home defense. You shoot at an intruder and miss and that round will travel three houses down and kill a neighbor. We can limit them and the number of rounds a clip will carry and stil some sicko is gonna get thru the cracks. What to be done?
    Do we want to go the route of Latin America where armed security is everywhere? hotels, schools, shopping malls?

Some politicians say today is not the time to have this discussion. I say we need to address this now while this tragedy is fresh in people's minds.

The right to bear arms? Right-wing nutters! Charlton Heston has alot to answer for. You can do the States and be interrogated over buying alcohol if you look younger than you actually are (happened to me in the past) but any kid can walk around with a hand gun. Crazy place America.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    My favourite is the Onion headline: "Right To Own Handheld Device That Shoots Deadly Metal Pellets At High Speed Worth All Of This."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2012 Posts: 17,687
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    We had an assault weapon ban during Clinton's administration then the war criminal George Bush let it expire in 2004.
    Yes and yes.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    An assault weapon has an effective range of over 400 meters. Why sell those things? You can't hunt with them and you sure as hell can't use them for home defense. You shoot at an intruder and miss and that round will travel three houses down and kill a neighbor. We can limit them and the number of rounds a clip will carry and stil some sicko is gonna get thru the cracks. What to be done?
    Make the sale of illegal guns punishable by a life sentence.
    Make selling a legal gun at least as hard as getting a driver's licence.
    Banning assault weapons.
    But MOST importantly, overhauling the health care system to take care of PEOPLE, specifically for the purposes of this discussion, the severely mentally ill.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited December 2012 Posts: 2,629
    I hate to say this, but I think that America has gotten to the point where if this happened at another high school or another college instead of an elementary school, we probably would have barely batted an eye over this.

Scream and holler about changing laws all you want, but is the wording of a law really going to prevent a tragedy? If someone wants something bad enough, they are going to get it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I rarely comment on these threads. It's really quite silly I know, but we live in a world now where we have to be careful what we say. Or when we say it. It might offend someone.
    Well not today I'm afraid. If you're offended by my comments, then you're the one with the problem.
    Yes we all have different opinions, and beliefs. But surely we all know that killing people is wrong. Don't we?
    Again and again these horrific shootings occur, and again and again, nothing changes.
    My nine year old son inspired me to write this post. When my wife and I were discussing the tragedy that has happened in Connecticut, my son asked what had happened.
    We explained the story, and he asked how someone would obtain a gun. You see here in Australia we don't carry guns, and have very tight gun laws.
    We told him that in America you can buy a gun in K-Mart, or certainly alot more easily than it is here, and his reaction was.

'Why would you need to carry a gun?'

I wonder why so called adults and the people who are supposed to care about us, and protect us don't see it the same way?
    Another sad day for America, and my heart goes out to those who have lost a loved one.

Kerim wrote:
    I hate to say this, but I think that America has gotten to the point where if this happened at another high school or another college instead of an elementary school, we probably would have barely batted an eye over this.
    I disagree.
    It's fairly horrifying in every instance. :O
    Benny wrote:

Yes we all have different opinions, and beliefs. But surely we all know that killing people is wrong. Don't we?
    My Buddhist side agrees entirely. My Shaolin side says not to temp the tiger if you do not wish to be clawed. My logical side says that you draw upon yourself that which you aim at others. My Liberal side says we need to use progressive utopianism as our guide. My Conservative side says kill the social parasites ASAP.

My total self says there are no B&W answers to that statement.
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    chrisisall wrote:
    My total self says there are no B&W answers to that statement.

This should be shouted from the rooftops across the world. Something so simple, yet everyone forgets that there isn't a clean answer to most questions.

• Every time I go to bed at night, I thank the Lord for having given me such a beautiful family, such beautiful children. I thank him for our hapiness and security.

Every time I hear such horrendous news as we got today, I just can't understand how human beings can lower themselves to that depth. I'm without words to express the sorrow I feel. Such despair, such pain, why?

I wish the family of the victims all the comfort in the world, but I doubt it will do much good.

God, have mercy for those afflicted, please.
    I just can't understand how human beings can lower themselves to that depth. I'm without words to express the sorrow I feel. Such despair, such pain, why?
    It's called an infection. Passed on by genetics or early training. Or both.
  • My thoughts & prayers go out to the family's that lost their love ones. Horrible tragedy.
    My thoughts & prayers go out to the family's that lost their love ones. Horrible tragedy.

Amen.
  • The right to bare arms.... What's right about that? Makes me so angry that a young man can have such easy access to such things. This was a massacre that should not have been able to happen, but it did and will continue to. I love America but wish the Gun culture could be taken to task.

I'm not naive to believe there's a simple answer and here in the UK this has happened before but thankfully is a very rare event.

My heart goes out to all those people that lost their lives. It is incredibly hard with so many little ones lost. I am a Dad of a little boy and I cannot comprehend what the parents must be going through especially just before Christmas.

Such an evil and wicked act against little ones that could not defend themselves. I hope the guy responsible rots in hell.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    Absolutely terrible and a truly disgusting act. What would make someone do this is beyond me. But the history of the world has many truly terrible stories regardless of the era.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 774
    In Australia there was a single mass shooting, the Port Arthur Massacre, and new gun restrictions were implemented. In the US there are multiple mass shootings a year, often targeting schools, and yet nothing is done?

I very much respect America but the 'gun culture' - a culture that allows events like this to happen - needs to change. I understand and respect the constitutional right to bear arms, but when children are murdered as a result of that constitution; something needs to change.

It seems that people think the only two options are to ban high powered weapons or to allow high powered weapons. How about mandatory mental health evaluations for anyone looking to purchase assault weapons and annual check ups following that? Although to me, anyone who thinks they need an assault rifle probably shouldn't pass that evaluation. How about limits on the rate of fire of weapons sold? How about no guns being sold to those under the age of 25? Something needs to change.

Though I suspect that sadly nothing will come of this and these tragic events will be repeated. Absolutely shocking, sympathies and thoughts with the families of those touched by this. So close to the holidays too. Tragic.
    My condolences to all those affected by this horribly unspeakable act.
  • bond50bond50 Banned
    Ever wonder why these mass shooters favor the Glock more than any other handgun, Probably because of the many long interchangeable clips they make. Could you of heard the outcry on the news channels if a Walther PPK had beeen used.They would of been showing old clips of DR.NO and taking or blaming James Bond for the incident. I don't think many mass shooters would really consider the Walther after watching SKYFALL anyway notice how Bond got disgusted with his on the train in Turkey and just tossed it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bond50 wrote:
    Ever wonder why these mass shooters favor the Glock more than any other handgun, Probably because of the many long interchangeable clips they make. Could you of heard the outcry on the news channels if a Walther PPK had beeen used.They would of been showing old clips of DR.NO and taking or blaming James Bond for the incident. I don't think many mass shooters would really consider the Walther after watching SKYFALL anyway notice how Bond got disgusted with his on the train in Turkey and just tossed it.

Bond was angry because he ran out of bullets. It wasn't the gun's fault.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Why are we talking about Skyfall? This isn't the thread for that.

RIP to the victims and my thoughts are with everybody (families, teachers, etc) affected by this.

@Benny I live in the UK (Wales to be more precise, although I'm English) and I agree with you completely.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    hell of a time to come to the realisation that if there is a god, then he so doesn't care.

I find that kind of reasoning to be utterly stupid.
    RIP to those who were killed in Newtown my thoughts are with all those affected by this, What kind of world do we live in?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited December 2012 Posts: 11,139
    We live in a world where people are willing to repeat the same mistakes to satisfy their reluctance to change in order to keep outdated laws, their wallets filled and their egos stroked. Fact is, in the grand scheme of things people don't care. Yeah, short term, it's a tragedy, their hearts bleed, tears are shed but selfishness in the long run always takes home the gold. It's sad and quite pathetic.
    doubleoego wrote:
    We live in a world where people are willing to repeat the same mistakes to satisfy their reluctance to change in order to keep outdated laws, their wallets filled and their egos stroked. Fact is, in the grand scheme of things people don't care. Yeah, short term, it's a tragedy, their hearts bleed, tears are shed but selfishness in the long run always takes home the gold. It's sad and quite pathetic.

You are right, and I agree.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,243
    doubleoego wrote:

It's sadly true. I remember Bowling For Columbine where Marilyn Manson was blamed for the shootings initially and then it turned out the killers hated Marilyn Manson. He was the preferred target as it meant no change of culture or attitude.

There have always been terrible stories of mass killings throughout history. But before they were hushed up and not reported.

The truth is people will forget just as the Batman shootings just a few months ago have gone quiet.

And the gun lobby is so politically powerful that only thin surface change or rhetoric will be the answer. In fact, in the USA, gun sales have shot up in recent years. Pun not intended.

• mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    What happen yesterday is horrible and a big tragedy. My heart goes out to the family and victims of yesterday shooting. However, I don't think banning guns (that means bye bye 2nd amendment) or put anymore gun control is not going to stop massacres like what happen yesterday. You can still have massacre even without guns. Anybody familiar with the Akhibara massacre and the Osaka School massacre, Japan outlawed ownership of guns and yet these 2 massacres happen without guns.

More info about these 2 massacres in Japan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akihibara_Massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_school_massacre

If the killer that did Osaka School massacre had knife lace with deadly poison, the death toll could've been higher. So you see you don't need guns to commit massacre, there's other ways to commit massacre without guns.
    mdo007 wrote:
    What happen yesterday is horrible and a big tragedy. My heart goes out to the family and victims of yesterday shooting. However, I don't think banning guns (that means bye bye 2nd amendment) or put anymore gun control is not going to stop massacres like what happen yesterday. You can still have massacre even without guns. Anybody familiar with the Akhibara massacre and the Osaka School massacre, Japan outlawed ownership of guns and yet these 2 massacres happen without guns.

If the killer that did Osaka School massacre had knife lace with deadly poison, the death toll could've been higher. So you see you don't need guns to commit massacre, there's other ways to commit massacre without guns.

Your point being???

the gunlaws in the US are good??

Lets go hunting with automatic weapons and flakjackets just in case the deer is armed??

The excuse of massacres happen whatever so lets not talk about some form of guncontrol can only happen in the US. You should read up on Huckabee who blames the massacres on the choice of taking "God out of our schools", the man is a moron as is anybody who believes such drivel. Organised religion does make the world a bettre place as we have witnessed the last 2000 years.

:-((
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    edited December 2012 Posts: 259
    SaintMark wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:

Your point being???

the gunlaws in the US are good??

Lets go hunting with automatic weapons and flakjackets just in case the deer is armed??

The excuse of massacres happen whatever so lets not talk about some form of guncontrol can only happen in the US. You should read up on Huckabee who blames the massacres on the choice of taking "God out of our schools", the man is a moron as is anybody who believes such drivel. Organised religion does make the world a bettre place as we have witnessed the last 2000 years.

:-((

I'm not saying gunlaws in US are good (what made you think I'm saying gun control is good???), no matter what kind of gun control we put in order to buy weapon, it's not going to stop massacre. Remember on the news they said that the gun Adam Lamza used was purchased by his mother. Do we blame the mother for that? I'm saying that even if the ownership of gun is outlaw, there's other way to commit massacre. Like Lamza could've made IED or the same type of bomb that Timothy Mcveigh used in the 1995 bombing to commit massacre. Japan prohibit ownership of guns but yet massacre still happen in Japan even when the ownership of guns is prohibited. if we outlaw guns or put more gun control, there's other weapon to commit massacre.

• Yeah, there are other ways to kill people so what's the point in getting rid of one of the most common ways? (sarcasm).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 40,459
    Things like the tragedy in Connecticut will never change. Take away the guns all you want, but people will still find a way to get their hands on a firearm and do what they want to do. It's that line that gets crossed that makes these psychos react by killing young, innocent children, and if they are going to go so far to murder a group of kids who only know love, fun, and innocence, they will certainly go the extra stretch to acquire a gun and carry out what they feel they need to do.

I just read that the US premiere of 'Jack Reacher' has been delayed because the film contains, in a way, the same material of the shooting yesterday.

RIP, those who lost their lives yesterday. It's so sad to hear of young ones who had a day of fun and learning planned, and instead lost their lives at the hands of a monster who was beyond sick.