MASS KILLINGS AT SCHOOL in Newtown, Connecticut, USA

WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
edited December 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 784
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/us/connecticut-school-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

My thoughts and prayers go out to those poor children and their families in Connecticut. What a terrible tragedy. We live in a sick world!

I don't understand how somebody could brutally kill innocent children...what the hell?

Comments

Terribly, terribly sad. My thoughts and deepest sympathies to the children, teachers and families. My mother is an elementary school teacher in CT, so this really hits close to home.
    It's Dunblane all over again. Really not the kind of news you want to start or end your day with. Those poor kids :(
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 165
    Sad, but how can anyone be surprised? Remember the big discussion we had after the Batman movie shooting earlier this year? I said then that something like that would happen again, and soon. And so it did. Because that's what we've become here in the USA. This is regular occurrence here in America. I'll say again, those of you who want to do nothing about guns and our culture are willing to sacrifice these lives every 6-8 months. We know it's going to happen, yet we don't have the guts to change.

So now we'll have big to-do on this board and others like it. Liberals will scream for gun control, conservatives will shout about their freedom being taken away and holding to a law that was passed before there was even electricity or street lights, let alone semi-automatic weapons. And in the end, what will be done to save the lives of the next group of schoolchildren or mall shoppers? Nothing.
    Grinderman wrote:
    Sad, but how can anyone be surprised? Remember the big discussion we had after the Batman movie shooting earlier this year? I said then that something like that would happen again, and soon. And so it did. Because that's what we've become here in the USA. This is regular occurrence here in America. I'll say again, those of you who want to do nothing about guns and our culture are willing to sacrifice these lives every 6-8 months. We know it's going to happen, yet we don't have the guts to change.

So now we'll have big to-do on this board and others like it. Liberals will scream for gun control, conservatives will shout about their freedom being taken away and holding to a law that was passed before there was even electricity or street lights, let alone semi-automatic weapons. And in the end, what will be done to save the lives of the next group of schoolchildren or mall shoppers? Nothing.

And you started it all. Keep this comment to yourself and maybe no discussion will begin.

Prayers go out to those affected, but this isn't the place to discuss gun control, so please don't start.
  • Yes, because the last thing we want is to discuss how to prevent tragedies like this from happening. Good grief.

I'll stay out of this thread from now on, if only to save myself the frustration of dealing that kind of nonsense.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 202
    Grinderman wrote:

It's tasteless when liberals use tragedies like this to shove more of their gun control rhetoric down everyone's throats.

Horrible tragedy, though. Cruel world. Thoughts go out to those who lost loved ones.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Grinderman wrote:
    Yes, because the last thing we want is to discuss how to prevent tragedies like this from happening.
    Treat mental illnesses and a lot of this sort of thing will never happen. BUT, we as a nation will never face the causes of a sad thing like this, we will just focus on the particular tools the sick person used.
    Because that's easier.
    It is tasteless when anybody blames the liberals' view when once again so many people have died in another senseless massacre. Everybody should be on the same page when it comes to keeping weapons out of the wrong hands.
    SaintMark wrote:
    It is tasteless when anybody blames the liberals' view when once again so many people have died in another senseless massacre. Everybody should be on the same page when it comes to keeping weapons out of the wrong hands.

Anyone with half of a brain understands this.

And I know that liberals aren't the only ones to blame, they just become particularly vocal during tragedies like this. Conservatives aren't any better, thinking people should be able to keep a bazooka and an AK-47 in their gun cabinet. Why? Just in case? =))
    And they should be vocal the madness of the US weapons market should be adressed, and it never does get adressed. It is at times when massacres happen that people are more liable to listen. And still many rather close their ears and blame the liberals for their bad timing and end up doing exactly nothing.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Everybody should be on the same page when it comes to keeping weapons out of the wrong hands.

But it can't be done.
    Better to make sure the sick minds that would misuse guns or axes or gasoline are treated or (if sadly necessary) indefinitely hospitalized.
    Liberals and Conservatives are equally lazy & stupid regarding this issue, and all too ready for the fun political 'gun' fight rather than discussing the actual solution to the problem.
    Well the actual solution would be take away the right to carry weapons unless your job requires you to, hunting rifles are different from the stuff being sold as meant for hunting. Make gun possesion illigal, and jack up the sentences for that (the war on drugs is nonsensical, this one could fill up the jails just as easily).
    SaintMark wrote:
    And they should be vocal the madness of the US weapons market should be adressed, and it never does get adressed. It is at times when massacres happen that people are more liable to listen. And still many rather close their ears and blame the liberals for their bad timing and end up doing exactly nothing.

The gun control debate has been on-going in the US, especially since the theater massacre over the summer.

Liberals blame conservatives just as much as conservatives blame liberals. This is part of the reason why nothing gets done in this country.

It's just a real shame that kids were involved in this. Truly sad.

edited December 2012 Posts: 17,691
    SaintMark wrote:
    Well the actual solution would be take away the right to carry weapons unless your job requires you to, hunting rifles are different from the stuff being sold as meant for hunting. Make gun possesion illigal, and jack up the sentences for that

ENNNN! Sorry, suicidally psychotic people will use whatever they can get, and care nothing for the laughable penalties as they do not expect to survive their last lash out at society, Mommy, women, bullies (whatever).

Funny that people will comment that this is a sick world, then care to do nothing about the sickness....
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It'll never stop. RIP. My thoughts are with the victims' families.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MrBrown wrote:
    Grinderman wrote:

It's tasteless when liberals use tragedies like this to shove more of their gun control rhetoric down everyone's throats.

Horrible tragedy, though. Cruel world. Thoughts go out to those who lost loved ones.
    It's also tasteless when republicans pretend things like this don't happen so they can still keep their fingers on the trigger.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    RIP. My thoughts are with the victims' families.
    Mine too; it happened less than an hour away from me.
    chrisisall wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Well the actual solution would be take away the right to carry weapons unless your job requires you to, hunting rifles are different from the stuff being sold as meant for hunting. Make gun possesion illigal, and jack up the sentences for that

ENNNN! Sorry, suicidally psychotic people will use whatever they can get, and care nothing for the laughable penalties as they do not expect to survive their last lash out at society, Mommy, women, bullies (whatever).

Blame it on the suicidally psychotic people, who already got chucked out of their facilities when the goverments were cuting costs.
    People do go nuts occasionaly and if you have easy acces to weaponery the chances of doing some real damage are rather larger. Someody with a baseballbat is dangerous but less likely to cause a massive bloodbath.

The availability of military weaponary and stuff like bullitproof vest and all kinds of gismo's make life easier for those who want to do harm but has litlle positive to offer for any society. the only ones benefitting are the weapons manefacturers and they spend lots of money making sure they can always pander their weapons and such to the US society. Who could do with some serious restrictions.

That said my heart goes out to the victims and their families.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 129
    As a Brit who once owned handguns, after the Dunblane school massacre however our government decreed that no one could hold handguns, now we have some of the most restrictive gun laws in the world. This doesn't stop however the loan assh**e who wakes up hating the world EG: Raoul Moat in 2010.

I feel so sorry for the families of the victims especially considering the time of the year, hell of a time to come to the realisation that if there is a god, then he so doesn't care.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 17,691
    SaintMark wrote:
    Blame it on the suicidally psychotic people, who already got chucked out of their facilities when the goverments were cuting costs.
    The point is that really sick people should not be able to walk the streets, let alone go about purchasing a weapon.
    The sad truth is that it's cheaper to let an incident like this happen every so often, then alter our health care system in any meaningful way to prevent it.
    And as along as money rules, absolutely nothing will change. An individual on the way out & willing to take as many as possible with him is unstoppable once his mind has been set.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,189
    As tasteless as it may seem to bring up politics so soon after a tragedy like this, when there's two shootings in the span of a week, one cannot help but think of how gun control is going to be entering the mainstream discussion. Anyway, it's a horrible tragedy and my thoughts go out to those who are parents and relatives of the victims, as well as the parents of the children who will be forever scared by such a senseless and horrible act.
  • It's a horrible tragedy that I've already spoken too much of... my heart aches so badly for the lives that will never be had. The beautiful little souls that did not deserve to die by the hand of a coward...

But at the same time, I find disgust with people like this:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-Gw3YOCEAAizZz.jpg:large

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    It's a horrible tragedy that I've already spoken too much of... my heart aches so badly for the lives that will never be had. The beautiful little souls that did not deserve to die by the hand of a coward...

Bloody hell. What selfish imbeciles. I bet they never lost someone close to them in a tragic accident, as if they'd care anyway, unless it cut into their TV time.
  • ^ Some people and their priorities, I tell you....
  • They're about as useless as the gunman. Just a waste.

I live in Danbury CT and have a neice around the same age thankfully she is fine but its is terrifying to think and then to see those tweets

The world has pure evil in it and it sadens me to see this kind of thing happen.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 129
    It's a horrible tragedy that I've already spoken too much of... my heart aches so badly for the lives that will never be had. The beautiful little souls that did not deserve to die by the hand of a coward...

Bloody hell. What selfish imbeciles. I bet they never lost someone close to them in a tragic accident, as if they'd care anyway, unless it cut into their TV time.

What do you expect from modern society, basically we're all screw'd unless we start to live & let live, as Louis Armstrong said we have all the time in the world, only for love, so let's find love especially at this time, forgive & forget, agree to disagree & get on with living.
    The bone-headed US media blamed the wrong Lanza for the shootings:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/the-wrong-ryan-lanza-pictured-on-cbs-2012-12?0=law

Nice of them to ruin an innocent person's life.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The NRA/gun lobby gives the same stock responses with each shooting tragedy:

"This is not the proper time to discuss gun control."

"Guns don't kill people. People do."

"If everyone could carry a gun, then the tragedy would not have happened."

The NRA's justifications are a joke, except it's not funny.
    echo wrote:
    The NRA/gun lobby gives the same stock responses with each shooting tragedy
    I think too many people are issued driver's licences, much less GUN licences.
    And for the record (as an American), YES, guns are entirely too easy to legally purchase here.
    I mean, how come it's SO hard to purchase a flame-thrower? Or dynamite?