Skyfall: Worth multiple viewings or not?

13»

Comments

Sandy wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    So surviving after falling 50 meters from a moving train after being shot is realistic?
    It's actually not inconceivable.

[url]<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/mwOTDxgavvY?version=3&hl=pt_PT"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/mwOTDxgavvY?version=3&hl=pt_PT"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/url]

Here's one example, I've heard more.

I assume she'd just been shot as well?

Did Bond fall into a crocodile infested river? I was just giving an example.

Now that would have been worth watching!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    I have watched it five times. The first left me very dissapointed, but usually the Bond-movies get better after multiple viewings. Didn't happen here though. Quite the contrary. Maybe in a few years I will appreciate it.
    the craig bond movies are known for being REALISTIC
    So surviving after falling 50 meters from a moving train after being shot is realistic?

Don't forget the man-eating lizards!

Well Bond does fight off a man eating squid in the Dr No book so I don't think the lizard fight is that ott by comparison.

I suspect once the dust has settled SF will still be considered as one of the better films in the series?

Why? Look at the acting and the heavyweight cast. No Halle Berry or Teri Hatcher in sight.

Look at the photography. Surely that must elevate it somewhat too.

Look at the theme song. Probably one of the best in the series.

There are many many beautifully shot films that are utter garbage. And I can't actually remember Adele's song, so I'm not really convinced it's going to go down as an all time high, if you know what I mean? What's the melody again...? No, me neither.
    I liked Adele's song. Downloaded it and have listened to it many times.
  • You're going to get me into trouble..

Just to add, the opening in Skyfall was a bit far fetched, Yes, it's only a fictional movie, but Bond gets shot off a moving train, falls (a bit too much Broken Arrow) off a high suspension bridge, plummets down a waterfall, not quite Angel Falls, but still significant, and sinks down to the depths..

Craig really is the most robust of all the Bonds..
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    The main thing going on in several threads here is, that some people did not like SKYFALL. That's fine. But they can't stop telling this those users, who liked the movie and try to insinuate, that those users, who like the movie, are lacking in taste, etc... And they keep on posting in all threads, which titles lead them to the conclusion, that pople posting there, actually have a positive feeling about SF. If the guys I emntioned had to throw up when watching SF, I hope they managed to get to the toilets before they actaully did.
  • RC7RC7
    The main thing going on in several threads here is, that some people did not like SKYFALL. That's fine. But they can't stop telling this those users, who liked the movie and try to insinuate, that those users, who like the movie, are lacking in taste, etc... And they keep on posting in all threads, which titles lead them to the conclusion, that pople posting there, actually have a positive feeling about SF. If the guys I emntioned had to throw up when watching SF, I hope they managed to get to the toilets before they actaully did.

And those who like it can't stop telling those who don't to go and watch DAD. Six and half a dozen.
  • RC7 wrote:

And those who like it can't stop telling those who don't to go and watch DAD. Six and half a dozen.

Exactly. Both sides are being as bad as eachother.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Incisor wrote:
    Getafix hit the nail on the head! Skyfall is a tad boring. Lighten up Jim, I'm not denigrating anyone, it was tongue in cheek. In answer to the O.P's question, once is definitely enough I am sad to say

I think you need to head over to Michael Bay's forums, not MI6's, mate.

You seem to be missing the general thrust of the criticism of SF, which is not that it didn't have enough death-spewing lasers or man-eating lizards, but that it has an implausible and weak story and overly long and badly generic action scenes.

I have to remind you that this supposedly classic plot was dreamed up by the same muppets that gave us TWINE and DAD. Now, most of what I've been reading on this site for the past year has cast Purvis and Wade as utterly useless (who am I to argue). And yet those who were calling for their instant dismisal now expect everyone to believe that they've magically transformed overnight into Oscar-worthy screenwriters.

I'm afraid it's just not true. At the heart of this film is a very, very weak story and script (with some good isolated scenes). Worthy, some might say, of a Michael Bay movie.

Any way, this argument will go on for years. Once the dust settles though I think SF will be a sinker in terms of popularity. DAD was a big hit with the kids when it came out but is now widely derided, along with most of the Brosnan films (the previous 'as good as Connery' candidate).

Any one who imagines that future Bond fans will be returning to this film with as much enthusiasm as they rewatch early Connery or the best of Lazenby, Moore and Dalton is sadly deluded. CR and QoS are far superior to this film.

Michael Bay's films have no intelligence or characterization. THEY ARE JOKES. Skyfall has all that and more. You can be as pouty about the film as you want, but comparing it to an effort made by that misogynistic pig that any five year old with a camcorder could top is inconceivable.

Do I detect an inability to take your own medicine?

If you don't want people comparing your prescious Skyfall to a Michael Bay flick then you might avoid denigrating other posters with this lazy and over-used tactic of implying that someone who disagrees with you must be a fan of mindless trash.

I was massively disappointed with SF not because it didn't have enough action or machine guns, but because I thought it was a poorly conceived and dull piece of film-making masquerading as high-concept cinema.
    Hmmm... Kind of like how SOME PEOPLE do that with Bond and Bourne. I wonder where that has happened before?!
    :-\"
    Another thread hijacked. Great. Really getting sick of this.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Volante wrote:
    Another thread hijacked. Great. Really getting sick of this.

Quite. Back on topic then, folks.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    How much farther can it all go? It's a 50/50 choice, and after that all there is to do is argue.
  • Yeah, it was a great film. Some movies are just fun... This is one of them.