Exactly WHY was Ernst having 'doubles' of himself made in DAF? (and other evil plot movie nonsense)

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited December 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,698
I was never quite clear on what the actual purpose of the doubles was in the overall plot of diamond smuggling & laser-refracted extortion was.
Can anyone clue me in?

Comments

• I didn't get that either. It seemed to me like just a convinient way of throwing in a plot twist. "Blofelds dead... NO HE'S NOT IT WAS A DOUBLE!!!" *dramatic music*
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 14,053
    So he can live twice, Mr. Bond! :P

No idea, really. Although it would be extremely handy to have multiple copies of yourself, when carrying out diabolical plans. You can commit crimes in one place, and be seen in another, giving you a solid alibi. I know that's what I'd do in his position.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    It must be terribly difficult to run a crime syndicate and run a legitimate business, at the same time. Perhaps he needed a hand...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    QBranch wrote:
    You can commit crimes in one place, and be seen in another, giving you a solid alibi. I know that's what I'd do.
    Makes sense, or, maybe even so you could 'die' in public to get law enforcement agencies off your tail... but at the beginning Bond crashes a 'plastic transformation' procedure; that he believed it was actually Blofeld he was dumping in the hot mud in that surrounding seems like incredibly lazy writing/directing to me.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I like his comment 'you killed my only other double. After that volunteers were understandably hard to find.'

Like they would have been queuing up beforehand! Honestly how much money would it take you to be turned into Charles Gray?

No wonder Blofelds has to constantly keep coming up with dastardly money making schemes - the amounts he just pisses away are ridiculous: hollowing out volcanoes and implementing a space programme on a par with NASA and the Soviets, setting himself up in a mountaintop lair, paying several blokes millions to have their face changed.

Why not just spend all the money you fritter as part of your schemes to make millions Ernst? I suppose he's just a workaholic.
    the amounts he just pisses away are ridiculous: hollowing out volcanoes and implementing a space programme on a par with NASA and the Soviets
    I estimate nearly a decade of design & construction, and nearly 100 billion dollars (a quarter being hush money/assassination of potential whistle-blowers)...
    ...somehow I don't get what kind of return they were expecting for that investment...
    Ooops! Thinking too much again! ;)
    Improve his chances of survival? Fake his own death like he did for a while in DAF.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 14,053
    This topic makes me wonder...

The Blofeld double seen in DAF's PTS could be the Blofeld from OHMSS- explaining why he at first didn't recognize Bond in OHMSS after the original Blofeld meeting him in YOLT. And never mind the accident Blofeld had at the end of OHMSS- if he can clone himself, surely he has the technology to walk again. Not sure how 'wheelchair villain' could fit into this. This is not my opinion by any means- just having a bit of fun. ;) I'm not really bothered by a lack of continuity in the films.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I like his comment 'you killed my only other double. After that volunteers were understandably hard to find.'

Me too. I just don't care for Charles Gray in general. And the DAF plot holes compared to those being discussed in the SF thread are far more egregious in comparison. DAF has more than a brick of swiss cheese.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 17,698
    DAF has more than a brick of swiss cheese.
    I get the impression that the script for DAF was thrown together relatively quickly... OHMSS didn't do too well (get un-serious fast!), Lazenby gone, Connery snagged for another... then on set re-wrights... :-O
    well i believe that Blofeld made doubles of himself so that it would be harder for assasians (like Bond) to target him- he no doubt indoctrinated the fellow "volunteers" to think like him and include the audio chip into his neck so they could speak like him...

probarly due to the fact that his Volcano Base and The Alps Base was destroyed he wanted to create "Cannon Fodder" clones so that Bond would believe he was dead and so the real Ernst could still continue for his world domination plans

well thats my opinion though
    To try and make sense of DAF is such a waste of time, even if you like it, because in the end this one is just there for fun.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    chrisisall wrote:
    I was never quite clear on what the actual purpose of the doubles was in the overall plot of diamond smuggling & laser-refracted extortion was.
    Can anyone clue me in?

It can only be attributed to one thing. DAF was steaming pile of crap.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    All the other glaring issues with DAF, and this is what we are talking about? Fair enough. I see the double as Blofeld covering his bases. He could have his double go and do his dirty work while he is safe and secure, and also to throw off Bond into a mass of paranoia. Every time he kills Blofeld, did he REALLY kill the real Blofeld? Stuff like that. But that may be a bit too clever for DAF.
    QBranch wrote:
    This topic makes me wonder...

The Blofeld double seen in DAF's PTS could be the Blofeld from OHMSS- explaining why he at first didn't recognize Bond in OHMSS after the original Blofeld meeting him in YOLT. And never mind the accident Blofeld had at the end of OHMSS- if he can clone himself, surely he has the technology to walk again. Not sure how 'wheelchair villain' could fit into this. This is not my opinion by any means- just having a bit of fun. ;) I'm not really bothered by a lack of continuity in the films.

I like this little fun theory, we could say the Blofeld that had the accident at the end of OHMSS was another double and was then wheelchair bound and had nothing to do with DAF but original Blofeld thought he was dead as he never see him again, so when Bond killed his other double at the start of DAF Blofeld thought he only had one double left and that is why he said you killed my only other double because he believed the one from OHMSS was already dead. Bond then killed the double with the piton gun which left original Blofeld who died in the Bath-o sub at the end of DAF. Then wheel chair bound double of Blofeld from OHMSS hears about the death of original Blofeld and decides to try and take revenge for all of this at the start of FYEO. I've got a headache now but it was fun.
    Outstanding effort there, mate!!!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Okay, my thoughts:

OHMSS Blofeld broke his neck, deciding (like FDR during WWII) that his handicap would prohibit him from being intimidating. He then decides to clone himself.

DAF Blofeld(s) are ALL clones of Blofeld, but look different to confuse his enemies. Bond recognizes the clones as Blofeld because he has already revealed himself in this form, though it isn't the real Blofeld. We never see the actual Blofeld, the one who dies on the offshore platform is a clone trained to carry out the mission and be the 'image'.

FYEO 'Wheelchair Villain' Blofeld is indeed the original, broken into insanity by his failures due to Bond's successful thwarts. In a last ditch effort, out of some insane fit of rage, Blofeld makes one last attempt on Bond's life, only to get the shaft.

I have a feeling saying the real Blofeld was never in DAF is a bit controversial.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I have a feeling saying the real Blofeld was never in DAF is a bit controversial.
    Actually, it makes all the sense in the world IMO!!!
    =D>
  • This is a statement I posted on TvTropes a while back, and in my opinion, makes a lot of sense:
    The Blofeld seen in ''From Russia With Love'' and ''Thunderball'' is indeed the real Ernst Stavro Blofeld. The one in ''You Only Live Twice'' (Donald Pleasence) is just a stand-in, and died during the eruption. The real Blofeld (Telly Savalas) and Bond finally come face-to-face in ''On Her Majesty's Service'' That can explain why they do not recognize each other. After killing his wife, Blofeld goes into hiding, and puts another stand-in in charge. (Charles Gray) The stand-in is killed in the opening teaser, as HIS stand-ins are left in charge. That wold explain why Blofeld acts so strangely in ''Diamonds Are Forever''. He's just an actor suddenly in charge of a terrorist organization. Finally, the Blofeld in ''For Your Eyes Only'' is the real Blofeld again, notice the heavy similarities between that one and the Telly Savalas Blofeld, last time we saw him. Bond finally has his revenge on Blofeld, dropping him down the smokestack.
    Excellent!
    But what explains the "delicatessen in stainless steel" line?
    Total madness?? :-?
  • Kerim wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Can anyone clue me in?

It can only be attributed to one thing. DAF was steaming pile of crap.

True, but a small pile compared to MR and DAD ;)

• chrisisall wrote:
    Excellent!

Thanks. I guess he just went a little crazy!
    MaxRebo120 wrote:
    Or near psychotic level crazy.... @-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MaxRebo120 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Excellent!

No, Blofeld didn't go crazy. The screenwriters did.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    DAF is a complete mess so trying to find any reason or logic in it is futile. For the record, he made doubles of himself because Cubby thought it was a great idea after having dreamt someone was impersonating his friend Howard Hughes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 23,671
This discussion has been closed.