Are you a pacifist with a TV/movie-induced weapons fascination, like me?

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited November 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 17,691
Phasers, I own a bunch from the movies and the series.
TOS BSG blasters- I have them too.
I own nunchucks, and a tonfa because of Bruce Lee movies.
I have a Samurai sword because I loved the first Highlander so much.
I made a stormtrooper blaster from SW.
I purchased three PPK's & one P99 airsoft BB guns because of Bond.

Yet I am basically a pacifist at heart...

Thoughts?

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,926
    Not sure if this topic is unique enough to exempt it from the numerous other prop/weapon threads already in existence. Either way, I'm putting in my two cents. :D

Yep, I'm a pacifist- the majority of us on this site are. To what degree of Pacifism- well that's a whole other conversation.

I like the idea of gathering household items and making film props out of them. Back in '97, Bond inspired me to make a rubber band gun out of paddle-pop sticks. I used some coat hanger wire for the trigger guard. The mechanism was mostly hidden- you couldn't see the rubber band from the side view. Most recently, I bought a P99 cap gun, and have plans to paint it black and make a silencer out of a rather chunky permanent marker. The size and shape is ideal for a silencer.

I guess it's just the Bond films that inspired me to make/buy props. I've owned numerous real weapons over the years, but not because I saw them in some film.
  • I have a collection of over 300 spring assisted and combat knives and a 12 bore shotgun but i'm a nice bloke.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't care for real guns but fake ones are nice.

I own a nice assortment of Airsoft guns including a PPK and P99. I have alot of cheap dollar store guns and now starting a collection of N-Strike Nerf guns because they look like they were ripped out of "Perfect Dark". I'm currently writing a script for a character driven action drama that will utilize a good chunk of my collection. :)
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 624
    I am not a pacifist, I love guns, firing them, and I love gun movies.

To answer the thread title, no.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I am not pacifistic, and if I ever get a gun permit, it'll be for a PPK. ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    As a pacifist I must say that non-pacifists need their butts kicked IMO.

Okay, that was funnier in my head before I typed it....
    edited November 2012 Posts: 17,691
    QBranch wrote:
    I'm a pacifist- the majority of us on this site are.
    This thread's not very old and already 2 people have identified as not being pacifists, I'm wondering how you figure that the majority of people here are? However, at nearly 2000 posts, you may just know everyone here very well- is that it?
    Murdock wrote:
    I own a nice assortment of Airsoft guns including a PPK and P99.
    Any pictures?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I own a nice assortment of Airsoft guns including a PPK and P99.
    Any pictures?
    Here's my PPK's
    577069_437564969614793_1367066936_n.jpg

But I don't have any other pics of my collection yet. I'll take a few pics in my spare time soon but I have 2 full metal Airsoft rifles. An AK-47 and Thompson. ;)

My nerf gun collection consists of a...
    Stampede
    Rayven
    Alpha Trooper
    Long Strike
    Recon
    Deploy
    Spectre
    and Raider
    Murdock wrote:
    The left one is REALLY nice, but the right one's handle seem a bit longish- for CO2 cartridges I presume?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    The left one is REALLY nice, but the right one's handle seem a bit longish- for CO2 cartridges I presume?

Yeah the Left one is a green gas Airsoft gun with silencer made of a Receipt paper tube. and the Right PPK is the Co2 BB gun. However it broke ages ago so I cut off the turn knob on the bottom and use it as stunt prop since it's very durable. where the Left one is a bit more fragile and is used for closeups and in film shooting. :)
    Murdock wrote:
    the Left one is a bit more fragile and is used for closeups and in film shooting. :)
    Ahhhh, a movie-maker! Any films we can see??
    Yes sir. :)

Ha ha, nice work. The seeds of future franchises! Keep makin' stuff Murdock!!!!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ha ha, nice work. The seeds of future franchises! Keep makin' stuff Murdock!!!!

Thanks, I'm currently rewriting the first video Agents of Illusion and plan on making it an indy feature length film. ^_^
    A friend of mine does the Super 7 online video series- it CAN be done!!
    chrisisall wrote:
    A friend of mine does the Super 7 online video series- it CAN be done!!
    Interesting, got a link to them? :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,926
    @chrisisall You make a valid point- and I'll admit I may be jumping to conclusions. I don't know everyone here personally. However, there are many different morals and principles to consider when deciding if you're a pacifist. IMO, owning toy/prop weapons, or weapons for sports/self-defence purposes- as well as enjoying war and violence in fictional films/literature etc. doesn't necessarily disqualify someone from being a pacifist. Someone like myself- who strongly opposes war, violence and any other negative actions in the real world- with the exception of using violence for self-defence/defence of others, should be considered a pacifist. Based on this personal belief, I feel the larger percentage of us here feel the same way. I cannot, and do not speak for everyone, of course. That would be rude of me. Just my opinion. ;)
  • I served in the United States military for a little over 20 years; pretty sure while I am a fan of peace, I'm not what one would call a pacifist.
  • I served in the United States military for a little over 20 years; pretty sure while I am a fan of peace, I'm not what one would call a pacifist.

Peace through superior fire power......?

I've shot numerous weapons, some in anger, large & small calibre, semi & full automatic, long range & CQB, I'm not what most would call a pacifist. I have an extensive knowledge of ballistics & weaponry but I'm not fascinated by them.

Basically I know what they can do to the human body, so if anything I'd say my interest is out of respect, however I do understand peoples fascination.

• Peace through superior fire power......?

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."

Weapons are tools, like any other, only as "good" or "bad" as the person holding them.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 129

Peace through superior fire power......?

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."

Weapons are tools, like any other, only as "good" or "bad" as the person holding them.
    Agreed.

Both in the moral or competency context.

However sometimes in seeking peace through military intervention, we end up embroiled in a pointless war?
  • Agreed.

However sometimes in seeking peace through military intervention, we end up embroiled in a pointless war?

Well, I'm not a fellow who is typically an advocate for "intervention". I'm much more of the Star Trek Prime directive mindset.

• Agreed.

Well, I'm not a fellow who is typically an advocate for "intervention". I'm much more of the Star Trek Prime directive mindset.

If only your average head of state was a Trekker.
  • If only your average head of state was a Trekker.

Shoot, if only the average person acted more in keeping with that outlook the world would be a far, far better place.

• If only your average head of state was a Trekker.

Shoot, if only the average person acted more in keeping with that outlook the world would be a far, far better place.

No disagreement here, live long & prosper.
  • No disagreement here, live long & prosper.
    LOL! No worries, though the two I prefer from those shows are:

1. Noninterference is the prime directive, and,
    2. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.

Zero zero zero...destruct........
    zero.