Anyone love Craig as an actor, but can't buy him as James Bond?

Comments

Yet after, Brosnan's OTT version souring audiences' feelings for that type of Bond, and Craig's brooding version taken to it's full extent. I personally wouldn't mind seeing this type of Bond character successfully achieved.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Jarrod wrote:
    Maybe, it is all set up for Bond 24. But it doesn't change the fact that maybe the cliche Bond is not Craig's strongest suit. For example, I think Lazenby is awesome in O.H.M.S.S. playing a lesser confident (than Connery) Bond. But would he have worked for Goldfinger, probably not. I feel the same way about Craig, who I believe is best when emotionally conflicted. But maybe he wouldn't be as interesting or successful as the overly charming hero type.

I don't think he wants to play that character.

He doesn't want to be your buddy Brozzer, that's for sure. But some cliches aren't always a bad thing. SF was full of good ones to me, such as-

1. The regulars are back and all look to be relatively normal.
    2. No more smutty dialogue from Moneypenny (I hope).
    3. More gadgets than the prior two films combined.
    4. Bond shagging more than one girl.
    5. M's regular office.
    6. Plenty of humorous one liners.

All we need now is a gunbarrel at the beginning and a babe in the end and it's all good.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    He doesn't want to be your buddy Brozzer, that's for sure. But some cliches aren't always a bad thing. SF was full of good ones to me, such as-

1. The regulars are back and all look to be relatively normal.
    2. No more smutty dialogue from Moneypenny (I hope).
    3. More gadgets than the prior two films combined.
    4. Bond shagging more than one girl.
    5. M's regular office.
    6. Plenty of humorous one liners.

All we need now is a gunbarrel at the beginning and a babe in the end and it's all good.

Well, here's hoping anyway.
    Why is one extreme or the other? It's either gritty Daniel or over the top Brosnan. Bond has a larger history than the last two actors to play Bond. Just because the writers & directors kind of it blew it with Brosnan, doesn't mean that that type of Bond incarnation is impossible to achieve properly. I love a gritty Bond, but I feel Dalton/ Lazenby kind of nailed it with more finesse. I'd love to see a Bond film in the vein of O.H.M.S.S., because that feels more like a bona fide Bond film than say Quantum of Solace.

I like that all the old cliches have been set up, but I still question whether Craig will suit that incarnation. Of course I'll be there opening day to see if he does, because I'm a life long fan, this doesn't mean each film and actor are above criticism though.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    Jarrod wrote:
    Maybe, it is all set up for Bond 24. But it doesn't change the fact that maybe the cliche Bond is not Craig's strongest suit. For example, I think Lazenby is awesome in O.H.M.S.S. playing a lesser confident (than Connery) Bond. But would he have worked for Goldfinger, probably not. I feel the same way about Craig, who I believe is best when emotionally conflicted. But maybe he wouldn't be as interesting or successful as the overly charming hero type.

The cliché Bond ran rampant through Moore's and Brosnan's tenures.

But the era between GE-DAD took it too far at times, like the wodka martini in every single film. It was not even said in all those before 1995, and Moore NEVER said it (himself that is).

I remember the outcry when Bond didn't say it in CR.
  • I completely buy Craig as James Bond. It's Roger Moore I sometimes have trouble accepting as Bond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I completely buy Craig as James Bond. It's Roger Moore I sometimes have trouble accepting as Bond.

I buy Roger Moore as an international playboy, something that Bond really is not.

Bond is a spy, a hit-man and tbh, Craig, although my second favorite Bond (lets be real, every actor has to live up to the version of Bond Young and Connery created) is by far the most convincing Bond imo. I actually love everything about him. His look, his stature, the way he walks, his style of clothing and the fact that he has chivalrous, good manners. Craig as Bond often says, please and thank you. If Craig hadn't redefined Bond in CR, he sure as Hell did so in a devastating way in SF.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    I buy Roger Moore as an international playboy, something that Bond really is not.

Bond is a spy, a hit-man and tbh, Craig, although my second favorite Bond (lets be real, every actor has to live up to the version of Bond Young and Connery created) is by far the most convincing Bond imo. I actually love everything about him. His look, his stature, the way he walks, his style of clothing and the fact that he has chivalrous, good manners. Craig as Bond often says, please and thank you. If Craig hadn't redefined Bond in CR, he sure as Hell did so in a devastating way in SF.
    I buy Roger Moore as The Saint; I think Craig's take on Bond is the best for me personally for a lot of the reasons you mention. In some ways, I think he's channeling Fleming's vision of the character.

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    At least Moore did his own thing.

And, he has two of the most coldhearted kills in the entire series (Stromberg, Locque).
  • Moore definitely had his own interpretation of the character!
    edited November 2012 Posts: 11,139
    Those were good kills but imo they pale in comparison to Connery Killing Dent, Connery killing Jacques Bouvare, Craig killing Fisher and especially Craig killing Slate.

Seriously, I can't believe some people can't buy this man as Bond.

daniel_craig_ew_photoshoot_04.png
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Well, different strokes and all that, but for me, Craig's interpretation of the character is the best I have seen thus-far.

• doubleoego wrote:
    Well, different strokes and all that, but for me, Craig's interpretation of the character is the best I have seen thus-far.

• doubleoego wrote:

Craig's casting was a master stroke I think. I just wish he had a Cubby to guide his tenure.
    Craigs a grate Bond gritty .hard edge, dangerous just what you want from a man with a license to kill the others was too soft. Apart from Connery he is the best Bond for me but Craigs a close second
  • Getafix wrote:
    Craig's casting was a master stroke I think. I just wish he had a Cubby to guide his tenure.
    I don't know; he seems to be managing quite well as things are.

• oorogers wrote:
    Craigs a grate Bond gritty .hard edge, dangerous just what you want from a man with a license to kill the others was too soft. Apart from Connery he is the best Bond for me but Craigs a close second
    In terms of ranking them, mine would look like this:

1. Craig
    2. Dalton
    3. Connery
    4. Brosnan
    5. Lazenby
    6. Moore
    7. Niven :P
    oorogers wrote:

1. Craig
    2. Dalton
    3. Connery
    4. Brosnan
    5. Lazenby
    6. Moore

You've got Dalton as No. 2, I'm loving that. My first three are the same, except for a little tweak.
    Connery
    Moore
    Dalton
    Craig
    Laz

Brozza
  • Regan wrote:
    You've got Dalton as No. 2, I'm loving that. My first three are the same, except for a little tweak.

I think Dalton is very much unappreciated for what he did with the role.

Connery
    Craig
    Dalton
    Lazenby
    Moore
    Brosnan
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Dalton
    Connery/Brosnan
    Craig/Moore
    Lazenby
    JamesCraig wrote:
    At least Moore did his own thing

If Brosnan didn't do his own thing then neither did Craig. What Brosnan did had been done by Connery and Moore, what Craig is doing has been done by Connery and Dalton.

They are all playing the same character and I don't have any problem with Bond actors doing things similarly.

I also don't get why everyone is raving about how Craig is just like Connery, but then with Brosnan it's "pffft, Connery/Moore hybrid", bit hypocritical imo.
    JamesCraig wrote:
    And, he has two of the most coldhearted kills in the entire series (Stromberg, Locque).

Brosnan had Alec and Elektra. And I think the difference there is, Moore didn't like his darker moments, he said so himself (which I think is fine btw, not bashing him for it). Brosnan though wanted more of them.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Connery
    Moore
    Dalton
    Craig
    Laz

Brozza
    Loved what Sean did with his first two movies; after that he seemed to become sort of a caricature of James Bond, I thought. Moore never was able to convince me he was tough enough for the role, though he had moments I enjoyed watching.

Thankfully he's experiencing a resurgence. Since Craig's era people have realized how good his interpretation really is, going as far as revising his movies and understanding how underrated he's been. The new emerging consensus is he was damn good.
    Getafix wrote:
    Connery
    Moore
    Dalton
    Craig
    Laz

Brozza
    Loved what Sean did with his first two movies; after that he seemed to become sort of a caricature of James Bond, I thought. Moore never was able to convince me he was tough enough for the role, though he had moments I enjoyed watching.

Moore did his own thing, which IMO was a great blend of suave and tough when he needed to be. He is I think, one of the most entertaining Bonds to watch. It is enjoyable to be in his company for an hour or two (at least that's what his leading ladies say!)
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    oorogers wrote:

1. Craig
    2. Dalton
    3. Connery
    4. Brosnan
    5. Lazenby
    6. Moore

I like the Craig era for finally appreciating Dalton's contribution which was ahead of his time. And sure, I understand that Craig has put his own stamp on the character. Craig is no carbon copy Bond and that I respect.

I remember Dalton saying he wished for scripts like Craig got. He loved the dirty fighting in the PTS of CR. He said he wanted to do it but it was not approved at the time.

When I watch CR, I can visualise a similarly aged Dalton in that film.

• Regan wrote:
    Thankfully he's experiencing a resurgence. Since Craig's era people have realized how good his interpretation really is, going as far as revising his movies and understanding how underrated he's been. The new emerging consensus is he was damn good.
    The Living Daylights in particular holds up very well, I think.

• acoppola wrote:
    I like the Craig era for finally appreciating Dalton's contribution which was ahead of his time. And sure, I understand that Craig has put his own stamp on the character. Craig is no carbon copy Bond and that I respect.

I remember Dalton saying he wished for scripts like Craig got. He loved the dirty fighting in the PTS of CR. He said he wanted to do it but it was not approved at the time.

When I watch CR, I can visualise a similarly aged Dalton in that film.
    Hard to believe Dalton initially turned down the role because he thought he was too young, isn't it?

• edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Regan wrote:

It is such a relief to see this taking place. Dalton was my first cinema Bond and for me he completely nailed the part from day one. I don't feel that any one else apart from Sean ever really did that.

For me Dalts was showing exactly where the character needed to go after Sir Rog. I do think the DC era is giving people a new found respect for Dalton. Had Tim done a 3rd I'd be tempted to place him higher in my rankings, but given that Sir Rog gave us 7 outings of almost unadulterated pleasure, I feel I have to place Tim in 3rd. People used to say that Tim misunderstood the role - now they're saying he was ahead of the curve. People are now praising DC for doing exactly what Dalts was doing 25 years ago (and with a deal more charm, if you ask me) ;)