Sam Mendes doesn't understand James Bond

edited November 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 1,661
In a recent interview Sam Mendes (Skyfall director) compared the James Bond films to the Cary Grant/Alfred Hitchcock film North By Northwest...

""North by Northwest' is the first true Bond movie, I think," Mendes says, referring to Alfred Hitchcock's 1959 classic starring Grant as an ad executive involved in a cross-country cat-and-mouse with spies, national security and a Bond-girl precursor (Eva Marie Saint). "To me, Cary Grant is the father figure, a man who never changes his suit, incredibly suave, sophisticated, sexy."

But this is totally wrong. If you've seen North By Northwest you'll know the hero (played by Grant) isn't a secret agent, in fact he's not even a regular hero. He's mistaken for a spy and chased around America. If anything North By Northwest is similar to The Fugitive (the tv show and film) than it is any Bond film. And since when is James Bond meant to be a father figure? He's more of an action man type (not the action doll!) than a father figure. I can sort of see some comparisons with Grant's acting and Bond (as played by Connery) but overall there's very little of James Bond in North By Northwest. I can't even recall any fist fights in North By Northwest! They're a standard element of all Bond films.

Comments

I agree with Mendes. North by Northwest, in my opinion, set the tone for the early Connery films and seems to have been an inspiration to Terence Young and crew. I'm sure Mendes wasn't hyper-analysing and comparing the two bit-by-bit as you seem to be doing, though...
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 114
    I think you'll find all of the first 3 James Bond films were heavily influenced by the style and atmosphere of North by Northwest. While, yes, Cary Grant was by no means a spy, his style and suaveness is echoed in the Bond films. Also by father figure he means someone we as an audience look up to, or admire for their spirit and heroic nature.
    DarthBork wrote:
    Also by father figure he means someone we as an audience look up to, or admire for their spirit and heroic nature.

And his protectiveness when it comes to the leading ladies and allies. Think of Bond's reaction to Felix's predicament in LTK or of him comforting Vesper in CR.

• Mendes isn't talking about the similarities in terms of the story and the characters, but more the style and feel of the films.

Like others have said, he's 100% right.
  • oo7oo7
    Agent005 wrote:
    DarthBork wrote:
    Also by father figure he means someone we as an audience look up to, or admire for their spirit and heroic nature.

And his protectiveness when it comes to the leading ladies and allies. Think of Bond's reaction to Felix's predicament in LTK or of him comforting Vesper in CR.

or when he put mathis in the bin or the waste of a good whiskey in skyfall.

to think that dr no first published a whole year before north by Northwest was the sixth bond novel. I suspect this line of thought of both characters wearing suits is as paper thin. perhaps bond wears a suit because grant wore one in His Girl Friday.

the images of bond where quite vividly sketched out by Fleming. if I see anything of a connection it is the battle with the chopper in frwl, if anything it was a dig at north by north west.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    North by Northwest obviously had a great influence in the early Bond films, of course! The style is all there, there are things in FRWL that look almost like a carbon copy of scenes in NBNW. Fleming even wanted Hitchcock to direct a Bond film.
    Mendes truly understands Bond, perhaps like few directors before him.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This isn't news...

Come one, guys, this is the fourth time this evening I have to redirect threads to the appropriate sections... Have IQ's just dropped or something?
  • it's because you go to community and you see a list of posts, rather than threads / themes (which are obscured on right of page). In 'old' mi6 era, the differentiation was there and THAT is why NEW members (like myself) made mistakes today. It is a hobby post work / between coffees etc for most of us, afterall.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,699
    it's because you go to community and you see a list of posts, rather than threads / themes (which are obscured on right of page). In 'old' mi6 era, the differentiation was there and THAT is why NEW members (like myself) made mistakes today. It is a hobby post work / between coffees etc for most of us, afterall.

Admittedly, yes, it is different to the old forum in that respect, but really it's not that difficult to start a new thread in the relevant section, is it?

We are a community, after all, we should do things 'right' for everyone's sake; not just expect the mods to do it, shouldn't we...? ;)

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Agent005 wrote:
    DarthBork wrote:

Surely by 'the father figure' he means Grants portrayal in NBNW was the the template for Bond - particularly the 'classic' Bond of GF, TB etc.

I can see this as there are some superb Roger Moore-esq Bond moments in NBNW such as the auction scene or the bit when he breaks into that woman's room.

Now in terms of the 'classic' Bond film (ie in the publics mind) NBNW is certainly in that vein but whether it or said classic Bonds have much to do with Ian Flemings character is an entirely different debate altogether.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Mendes is right, although I'd say it goes as far back as the marvellous Robert Donat in Hitch's gripping 39 Steps. And the 39 Steps is of course essentially the template for NBNW any way. The railway encounter between Donat and the leading lady is the prototype for Grant and Saint in NBNW and Bond and Vesper in CR.

I would have liked to see some refs to The 39 Steps in SF. The perfunctory and under exploited trip up to Skyfall was an opportunity for Mendes to reveal something new and profound about the relationship between Bond and M but we get almost nothing. For me, apart from Silva's entrance, there is little dialogue to savour in SF. I know practically everyone on here disagrees but I found the SF climax in Scotland weak. People are saying it references Straw Dogs, which may well be true. It made me think of John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13, but without any of the tension. In SF all the goons seem to politely come in through the front door.

For me, as with most of the film, I can see what they were trying to do and I approve, but it just doesn't work on screen. Obviously I'm in a minority of about 1% on here but just my view.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    I've had a nice conversation with James Bond at a posh restaurant this weekend.

I could understand everything he said, especially when he said he was going to pay the bill.
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote:
    The perfunctory and under exploited trip up to Skyfall was an opportunity for Mendes to reveal something new and profound about the relationship between Bond and M but we get almost nothing.

I too genuinely thought, 'right, this is it, we're going to get some real meat on the bone now'. But it never really came. I even thought after the car journey 'ah, maybe there's some exposition now they're at Skyfall'. I really thought there would be quite a chunk of exploratory dialogue before the final fight.

• Getafix wrote:
    For me, apart from Silva's entrance, there is little dialogue to savour in SF.

I kind of agree. There was definitely more potential for some powerful character scenes in SF that was never explored. The whole thing about M's past coming back to haunt her: there could have been way more tension built-up around her not wanting her past mistakes to come out into the open, and then Silva's confrontation with her, whilst being good, should have been absolutely dynamite - particularly given that both actors are capable of that. Equally, the thing about Bond's loyalty to M being tested was really underplayed too.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Guys, don't get me started! So much unrealised potential. However, I have already managed to contribute to getting the fan reviews thread semi-frozen this morning by daring to voice criticism of SF. Am desperately trying to hold my tongue now and see how the dust settles.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Threads don't get frozen because people criticise Bond films, they get frozen when members start getting abusive towards each other
    "The name's Kaplan... George Kaplan."

Whilst Roger 'O. for nothing' Thornhill is a mere ad exec caught in a mystery beyond his understanding, the makebelieve secret-agent Kaplan who he 'becomes' could very easily be the hollow mould that OO (Double Nothing!) 7 came from.

Plus the style that Cary Grant drips is pure Bond.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    Getafix wrote:
    Guys, don't get me started! So much unrealised potential. However, I have already managed to contribute to getting the fan reviews thread semi-frozen this morning by daring to voice criticism of SF. Am desperately trying to hold my tongue now and see how the dust settles.

You have done nothing than throwing dust into people who want to be reasonable. When someone gets warned that he or she doesn't voice his or her criticisms in a respectful way, it's "they kan't accept my disliek for dis film".

So old fashioned.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    JamesCraig wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

You have done nothing than throwing dust into people who want to be reasonable. When someone gets warned that he or she doesn't voice his or her criticisms in a respectful way, it's "they kan't accept my disliek for dis film".

So old fashioned.

I think there is a misunderstanding. @Getafix was not being rude to anyone or throwing dust. He did nothing more than express how he felt about the new film.

Whenever a new Bond films comes out, I find that when you criticise it immediately, some take it personally against them. Had he said the same thing a few years later, no one would really be bothered as the dust has settled in regards to the hype.

Hopefully it is all cool. The written word can sound harsher when we do not hear a tone of voice.

He wasn't rude, I'll admit that.

And I'm cool. :)>- B-)
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    JamesCraig wrote:
    He wasn't rude, I'll admit that.

And I'm cool. :)>- B-)

Cool. Good to hear. Believe me, I have been on forums where the true meaning of rude is revealed. @Getafix is cool. He backs up his points and I like his honesty. He is reasonable to debate with.

""North by Northwest' is the first true Bond movie, I think," Mendes says, referring to Alfred Hitchcock's 1959 classic starring Grant as an ad executive involved in a cross-country cat-and-mouse with spies, national security and a Bond-girl precursor (Eva Marie Saint). "To me, Cary Grant is the father figure, a man who never changes his suit, incredibly suave, sophisticated, sexy."

But this is totally wrong. If you've seen North By Northwest you'll know the hero (played by Grant) isn't a secret agent, in fact he's not even a regular hero. He's mistaken for a spy and chased around America.

I have also recently seen "NORTH BY NORTHWEST". Mendes is right. Hitchcock's movie is more or less the first Bond movie, despite its hero being something other than an agent. So much of its style was borrowed by writers of the Bond films.
    Interesting, I couldn't stop thinking of Hitchcock during Skyfall. It shines through.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Fleming wanted Hitch for the first Bond film! And Cary Grant, good friends with the Broccolis (best man at their wedding) was considered for the role of Bond but as he would only do one film the producers had to look elsewhere for someone who would commit to a series of films.
  • Far from showing Mendes doesn't have a good understanding/feel for Bond movies, I think all that has happened here is we've been able to highlight that Mendes indeed does have a great feel for the Bond films.
  • Fleming wanted Hitch for the first Bond film! And Cary Grant, good friends with the Broccolis (best man at their wedding) was considered for the role of Bond but as he would only do one film the producers had to look elsewhere for someone who would commit to a series of films.

That's all true bro. But I feel that Fleming really didn't understand the movie business either. This is a man who if he had his way would have doomed the series from the start by having Hoagy Carmichael and Noel Coward as Bond and Dr. No respectively.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I first saw NBNW 6 months ago, and was surprised at how Bondian it was- although I'll admit I did watch it knowing it was very influential to the way cinematic Bond would be like a few years later. There is definitely some Hitchcock influence in the early films. One does wonder how different cinematic Bond (espec. FRWL) would've been if NBNW didn't exist.

Regarding differences to Bond: Cary Grant's character was not a spy, but he briefly poses as one, which is contrast to Bond. IIRC he didn't touch a gun throughout the entire film.

Pretty much everything else in the film has Bond written on it:

interesting locations
    unique stunts (crop duster scene)
    antagonist's home
    decent train sequence
    shoot out finale near Mt. Rushmore.
    the structure of the plot- which is actually simpler than it seems

Remember Fleming initially wanted Cary Grant for Bond. That has to mean something. When it comes to Bond, Mendes knows what he's talking about. Let's put a little faith in him for Bond24, shall we? ;)
    If he dosen't under stand bond then...
    Why is his the first Bond Film to deal with Bond's Childhood and pearents!
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was based on NBNW, not James Bond and it shows. So in a way Mendes tried to make Bond look like The Man from U.N.C.L.E.. I guess that's not much of stretch because several of the plots and gadgets from the Bond films showed up on U.N.C.L.E. first.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    delfloria wrote:
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was based on NBNW, not James Bond and it shows. So in a way Mendes tried to make Bond look like The Man from U.N.C.L.E.. I guess that's not much of stretch because several of the plots and gadgets from the Bond films showed up on U.N.C.L.E. first.

What?