Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• Live and Let Die. Been meaning to see it again for some time, and yesterday I finally did. Though it's not Sir Roger's best film, it's still very enjoyable. After watching the action packed ones with Daniel Craig lately, it was nice to go back to one of the more "laidback" ones.
  • A View To A Kill

Sure it's not a great Bond film but I enjoyed it.
  • Finished up the Bond movie marathon yesterday with 'Quantum of Solace'.

What could have been a good, if not great, Bond movie instead turned out to be a befuddling mess. Which is too bad, because there are redeeming qualities in the film. They just get lost in the chaos.
  • watched Quantum of solace soon as i got home after watching skyfall.
    Skyfall

The greatest James Bond film of all time.
  • 'Skyfall' in IMAX. Outstanding. Top 5 Bond film for me.
  • Today I watched For Your Eyes Only, which is my favorite. :)
    BangOnTime wrote:
    Today I watched For Your Eyes Only, which is my favorite. :)

It is a high ranker for me as well! Not quite number 1, but definitely in the top five or at least around six or seven! Glad to see you enjoy it, I think it gets a little forgotten around here!
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Thunderball. I watched it to properly decide if SF had entered my top 5 or not. I thought it had when I saw it at the cinema but then I rewatched this amazing film, and as good as SF was, TB has taken back it's place.

1) LTK
    2) TLD
    3) GE
    4) TSWLM
    5) TB
    6) SF

7) TWINE
    8) OHMSS
    9) FRWL
    10) OP
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Skyfall. Nuff Said. :D
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Diamonds Are Forever

Sean Connery adds to lot of presence to a decidedly lightweight cast. Jill St. John plays the role of Tiffany Case, better than it was written, alas. The role starts out tough, resourceful and intriguing, but as the film goes on... I like Charles Grey, what with his campy, “come here sailor eyes”, and he would have worked better, if he didn't play Blofeld. He doesn't have any menace about him.

From the first moments of this film, it seems the director has lost interest in the film, merely “that will do, on to the next scene” ethos, that undermines the entire film. Sloppy is the word I’m looking for. Also the Guy Hamilton trio of Bond movies seems to be devoid of any tension, any danger. Perhaps the absence of Peter Hunt has something to do with this; he filled, particularly the action scenes, with a certain dynamic energy.

Still, Diamonds succeeds as an entertaining comic strip Bond adventure, and the contributions of John Barry and Ken Adam are up to standards, although in the case of the latter setting the climax on board an oil rig, hems in Adam's creativity, somewhat.

Diamonds is an entertaining film, but when one compares it to the illustrious brethren, of the Bond movies, it falls, down to, unfortunately, overt humour and spectacle.

Live and Let Die

Continuing on with my random Bond movie marathon. Very understated entrance for Roger Moore. Very good cast, especially the heavies, (“You’re entering Harlem, baby!”), ingenious plot; cunning in its simplicity, and some very delicious lines.

Unfortunately, the word is becoming a bit of a habit, a soon as Bond climbs aboard the Cessna, with Mrs Bell, spectacle and wanton destruction becomes the order of the day. There is little ingenuity, and danger, about the scene. Worst of all is the speedboat, with Sheriff Bloody Pepper. I'm afraid this removed me from the film, for a little bit. Well, at least until Bond is back in Jamaica.
  • Tomorrow Never Dies

I'm a big supporter of Brosnan and absolutely love GE. I really enjoy this film until the free fall when Bond investigates the site where the Devonshire sank. At that point it starts to go over the top with some pretty cheesy lines, poor performance from Michelle Yeoh and some way too OTT action sequences. Great PTS as well. The lines:

Kauffman: "Mr. Bond, I'm just a professional doing my job"
    Bond: "So am I"

Is my favorite part of the film. More of that was needed in the Brosnan era.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Thunderball

Let me tell you a story, gentle readers. Sitting comfortably? Good, I'll begin.

It's the late nighties. ITV had a “00-Heaven” Season on T.V. I rushed back from my friend to see Thunderball, after staying up all night playing Mario Cart on the N64. I settled down and prepared to watch Thunderball, and promptly fell asleep.

Thus I never had a good recollection of Thunderball. That's until 2000/01ish, Christmas Day, I watched Thunderball, and I was blown away by it. The sheer epicness, lushness of it. This was Bond, with a capital “B”.

I complained that Terence Young's shot selection, in the part of concealing the Vulcan, was anal. I still think it could do with a few minutes chopped off, I didn't mind it this time, but as a whole, Thunderball is magnificent, top-flight entertainment.

Oh, by the way, how cool was Sean Connery is this film? I could watch him walk around Tesco!

I loved the exchanges between Bond and Q;

(on the mini-flare)

Q - “I want to keep that on you, day and night”

Bond - “I resent that”

• Just watched Octopussy. Definitely one of Sir Roger's better films, in my opinion. :)
    SkyFall

Man, Bond most definitely IS BACK! 2012 has not disappointed us Bond fans, I mean what a release we got! Daniel blew away the role this time with real epicness, Silva ranks as one of the greatest main villains of the series, the action scenes are deliciously exciting and explosive, the locations are nicely varied and suit the movie greatly, and the storyline is very intriguing, with plenty of good twists to keep you on your toes and a classic appeal that lets you know that you are watching BOND. I'd be lying if I said SF was not worthy of being in the top ten!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Thunderball. I watched it to properly decide if SF had entered my top 5 or not. I thought it had when I saw it at the cinema but then I rewatched this amazing film, and as good as SF was, TB has taken back it's place.
    TB is my hands down favourite Connery movie, even the excellent Dr. No doesn't displace it (often). :)>-
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Skyfall. Before that, OHMSS.

These two films kind of parallel each other. Death scene, hellicopter raid, isolated hideout...
  • Skyfall -- for the fourth time. :)
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Second time for me yesterday-- I saw it opening night with my girlfriend and now I've seen it with my dad & sister. Everyone loved it!

*exact quote from my sister after the movie: 'Daniel Craig sure wears some tight pants in that movie! Awesome!'
  • I have just bought the entire DVD collection. I had 8 films on DVD before, but now my nephew can inherit those. I saw "A view to a kill" yesterday. Although Moore is my favourite Bond, I think he should have stopped after the brilliant "For your eyes only". The only drawback with Moore was his age. He is in fact almost three years OLDER than Connery. Later today I will see "The living daylights".
  • Last night i watched

For Your Eyes Only

Always a fav of mine, thoroughly enjoyed it after the PTS. In my opinion this was Moore's finest performance as Bond, really nailed it. Only draw back is the score, dates the film ...badly.

Over the next few days i'll be watching Octopussy and Licence to Kill
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    TMWTGG:

Not as bad as my last viewing but still at rock bottom of my list.
    Skyfall seeing it again tomorrow
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    LTK, just finished it now. The Daltonator rocks like no other as Bond...
    GoldenEye

Can you spell PERFECTION? I can! G....O....L....D....E.....N.....E....Y.....E.....

2012 Bondathon Rankings

1. GoldenEye
    2. License to Kill
    3. A View to a Kill
    4. For Your Eyes Only
    5. The Living Daylights
    6. From Russia with Love
    7. Octopussy
    8. SkyFall
    9. Live and Let Die
    10. The Man with the Golden Gun
    11. The Spy Who Loved Me
    12. Thunderball
    13. Diamonds Are Forever
    14. Moonraker
    15. Dr. No
    16. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    17. You Only Live Twice
    18. Goldfinger
  • The last was The living Daylights. Not a great fan, but it is ok, far better than the crappy "LIcence to kill".
  • Skyfall -- seen it four times so far, and I'll likely go and see it again. Just a wonderful, wonderful film.
    The last was The living Daylights. Not a great fan, but it is ok, far better than the crappy "LIcence to kill".

Not a fan of LTK? It's actually a top five favorite of mine! Might I ask why you don't dig it?
    Tomorrow Never Dies

After Brosnan's perfect-in-every-way debut with GoldenEye, TND had a lot to meet up to in order to not look like a flop. Thankfully, it definitely delivered, in multiple aspects! It did not surpass GE by any means, but it got extremely close! The pacing of Brosnan's second entry is absolutely stunning. You can blink at the pre-title sequence and be already on the Stealth Boat for the finale! This really helps the movie a lot, because you never feel any dragging, and it's a great thrill ride of enjoyability all the way! The action accompanying this pacing is greater than almost any we've seen so far in a Bond movie to this point, and is so explosively entertaining! Add to this Brosnan's outstanding performance as our favorite secret agent, a remarkable soundtrack by David Arnold (one of his finest), and an excellent cast of characters, particularly Jonathan Pryce's Elliot Carver, and you have a grade A Bond movie right here.

Bondathon Ranking

1. GoldenEye
    2. License to Kill
    3. Tomorrow Never Dies
    4. A View to a Kill
    5. For Your Eyes Only
    6. The Living Daylights
    7. From Russia with Love
    8. Octopussy
    9. SkyFall
    10. Live and Let Die
    11. The Man with the Golden Gun
    12. The Spy Who Loved Me
    13. Thunderball
    14. Diamonds Are Forever
    15. Moonraker
    16. Dr. No
    17. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    18. You Only Live Twice
    19. Goldfinger
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Skyfall for the first time the other night. Not as good as CR but a vast improvement over QOS. A bit overlong but an interesting change of pace from the usual Bond formula. A solid *** out of ****.