Goldfinger vs Octopussy

Comments

• edited June 2011 Posts: 4,619
    GF is a classic and one of the best Bond films - still I think it's a tad overrated. OP on the other hand is a complete disaster. Rubbish. I absolutely despise it. Seriously, every potential Bond director should watch it just to know how *not* to make a Bond film. Even AVTAK is a lot better.
    @PanchitoPistoles: Too bad you didn't like OP! Personally, I think it's got everything a good Bond movie needs. It has Roger Moore, fantastic, memorable villains, epic action scenes, worthy allies, and a gripping Cold War plot. When I first saw OP, I thought the same thing, but now I love it! It has #6 on my Top Ten!
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 533
    I would rather cut of both off my arms than choose "GOLDFINGER" over "OCTOPUSSY". It's the 1983 movie I prefer.
    I was expecting the majority votes to go to GF, but I'm glad to hear how many people prefer OP!
    GF no question.

Far more memorable: Jill Masterson in gold, the golf scene, Oddjob, the Fortknox set, Pussy Galore, the laser scene, the first tricked out Aston Martin, Swiss Alps, the aerial raid, Auric Goldfinger, John Barry penned classic theme belted out by Shirley Bassey, Sean Connery!

OP by contrast has slightly less memorable characters: Vijay, Gobinda, General Orlov. Kamal Khan does not have the character quality of Goldfinger. The locations are nice, but they feel like Bond in random exotic location. Roger Moore is great, but he doesn't have the panache of Connery. To it's credit, Octopussy is a fine Bond girl, the plot is interesting, the Barry score is excellent.

OP is ranked about 10 or 11 for me, but GF is just far more classic of a film
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    This is a bit off topic, but did anyone notice how much older Roger looked in OP than in AVTAK? It's as if OP was his last Bond movie!
    I wish it was!

But yes, Moore looked a lot older in A View To A Kill to me. The opening with the blonde girl in the sub....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
  • I concur with @Samuel. To me it is like night and day between Moore in OP and Moore in AVTAK. He looks like he aged about ten years between those two films.
    The humor in op tweaks me at time (the tarzan yell, shaking my head), and the opening sequence not related to the rest of the movie, but the near end has real suspense. Still gf wins out with some of the most iconic bond images, laser beam painted lady.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 533
    I prefer "OCTOPUSSY" over "GOLDFINGER". I feel that the 1964 flick is one of the worst Bond movies I have ever seen and definitely overrated.
    DRush76 wrote:
    I prefer "OCTOPUSSY" over "GOLDFINGER". I feel that the 1964 is one of the worst Bond movies I have ever seen and definitely overrated.

THANK YOU!!!! Another member agrees with me that Goldfinger stinks!!!!! YES!!! I have so waited for this moment!
    Neither are favorites by any stretch of the imagination. But Octopussy wins, because, although it is embarrassing to watch sometimes, it doesn't send me to sleep when I watch it - Goldfinger is a narcoleptics dream I-)
  • DB5DB5
    Let's see. The incomparable John Barry score, the gadget laden DB5, Jill Masterson, the fight with Oddjob at Fort Knox. And then we've got the Tarzan yell, Bond in a clown suit, and something about a Baberge egg. Goldfinger is the better film, obviously.
    Very interesting. This is truly the battle of the Bonds.
    Sir Sean and Sir Roger made 13 of the 22 films (or 14 of the 23 if you count NSNA).
    Which do I chose between (IMO) their best film?

GF had it all. Bigger than life villian, super tough henchman (the best), beautiful girls, and Sean in his prime! A great plot and a fast pace. That title song is the best remembered of any Bond title song and most people would know it when they hear it. The opening title credits were weak and Binder's nudes are missed but who cares?

I have great affection for OP and it is by far Moore's best film but I have to cast my vote for
    GF
    DRush76 wrote:
    I prefer "OCTOPUSSY" over "GOLDFINGER". I feel that the 1964 is one of the worst Bond movies I have ever seen and definitely overrated.

Ha Ha Ha.
    I understand where you guys are coming from. To not love GF is sacriledge to some of us Bond purists. It's like fans of Jethro Tull who does not consider Aqualung as the best Tull album. A lot of fans may disagree with you but I like hearing your opinions and slamming on GF. I find it most amusing. Keep posting.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    HASEROT wrote:
    as much as i believe Bond to completely useless and inept in Goldfinger, it still remains as one of my all time favorites - so i have to go with Goldfinger.... i do like Octopussy though..

for me, there aren't as many silly moments in Goldfinger as in Octopussy - like charming the Cobra to the Bond theme, the tennis racquet part with the crowd, the Tarzan yell, telling a wild tiger to "SIT!", Bond hiding in a gorilla outfit, and then dressing up like a clown.. just a bit too much for me..

Saves me having to write that! Agree with everything re Octopussy, had they cut those bits they would have had a really good film. Probably Moore's best, but that still remains FYEO.
    GoldFinger for me, as much as i like Octopussy? GF has the music and two very classic villains for me personally.
    GOLDFINGER
    RogueAgent wrote:
    GoldFinger for me, as much as i like Octopussy? GF has the music and two very classic villains for me personally.

See, I just don't understand where the love for the Goldfinger soundtrack comes in. Is it really that good? Honestly, it doesn't do a thing for me. It's sort of annoying in many places actually!
    00Beast wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

See, I just don't understand where the love for the Goldfinger soundtrack comes in. Is it really that good? Honestly, it doesn't do a thing for me. It's sort of annoying in many places actually!

I hear you. It is a classic song and the instrumental versions are quite good and it was Barry's personal favorite. However, most fans, including myself, will say that OHMSS has the all around best soundtrack of any Bond film.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I hear you. It is a classic song and the instrumental versions are quite good and it was Barry's personal favorite. However, most fans, including myself, will say that OHMSS has the all around best soundtrack of any Bond film.

Except for me, hahaha. The soundtrack to OHMSS is one that just grates on me, I can't stand it. I know that opinion just isn't welcome here, haha, but it's true. Too many soft and melodical sounds and not enough rock-out tracks like "He's Dangerous", "Necros Attacks", "Caviar Factory", or "Runaway", to name a few from other Bond soundtracks.
    Let's see. The incomparable John Barry score, the gadget laden DB5, Jill Masterson, the fight with Oddjob at Fort Knox. And then we've got the Tarzan yell, Bond in a clown suit, and something about a Baberge egg. Goldfinger is the better film, obviously.

When you have a movie with more holes in its plot than Swiss cheese, a Bond who acts like a schoolboy, a villain in which the actor is better than the character, and something close to a rape scene inside a barn, I'd rather stick with the Tarzan yell and clown suit from "OCTOPUSSY".
    00Beast wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Except for me, hahaha. The soundtrack to OHMSS is one that just grates on me, I can't stand it. I know that opinion just isn't welcome here, haha, but it's true. Too many soft and melodical sounds and not enough rock-out tracks like "He's Dangerous", "Necros Attacks", "Caviar Factory", or "Runaway", to name a few from other Bond soundtracks.

It is just my own humble choice. Besides? If we all agreed? There would not be much point to this thread? ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited June 2012 Posts: 16,331
    Octopussy It was perfect, had an epic PTS, then cut to some solid suspense, granted the clown suit may look silly but (It's a disguise!) spies use disguises! It's a real espionage film with great tension. I Ignore the tarzan yell, and I rather liked the SIT! because If I was in Roger's shoes, I would have done the same.

Goldfinger is booooring, It's very overated. It didn't create the "Bond style" It created the "over the top" Bond. Goldfinger isn't threatening, he comes off as a bumbling bully, constantly being told how his business is doing from his henchmen. Goldfinger and Guy Hamilton are overated, give me Octopussy and John Glen any day.
  • DB5DB5

"When you have a movie with more holes in its plot than Swiss cheese, a Bond who acts like a schoolboy, a villain in which the actor is better than the character, and something close to a rape scene inside a barn, I'd rather stick with the Tarzan yell and clown suit from OCTOPUSSY."

When does Connery's Bond EVER act like a schoolboy?? And i wouldn't characterize the sex that Bond has with Pussy Galore in the barn as "close to a rape scene." He just needed to convince her to switch teams (and not just from Goldfinger to Bond, if you get my meaning).
  • Murdock wrote:
    Octopussy It was perfect, had an epic PTS, then cut to some solid suspense, granted the clown suit may look silly but (It's a disguise!) spies use disguises! It's a real espionage film with great tension. I Ignore the tarzan yell, and I rather liked the SIT! because If I was in Roger's shoes, I would have done the same.

Goldfinger is booooring, It's very overated. It didn't create the "Bond style" It created the "over the top" Bond. Goldfinger isn't threatening, he comes off as a bumbling bully, constantly being told how his business is doing from his henchmen. Goldfinger and Guy Hamilton are overated, give me Octopussy and John Glen any day.

Wrong. Look at the first two films and then look at the films after GF. The influence is huge and would be evident even to a blind man. Personal preference has nothing to do with this. If you or anyone else really thinks GF didn't influence not only EON but the entire world, then you people don't know Bond like you think you do.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited June 2012 Posts: 16,331
    Murdock wrote:
    Wrong. Look at the first two films and then look at the films after GF. The influence is huge and would be evident even to a blind man. Personal preference has nothing to do with this. If you or anyone else really thinks GF didn't influence not only EON but the entire world, then you people don't know Bond like you think you do.

(First) I'm not disagreeing with you, Yes it was influential but not perfect. GF isn't as great as people make it out to be.

(Second) I'm not saying I know Bond well, It's just my opinion. Bond being captured for half of a movie isn't as exciting as Bond doing some real spy work for 80% of the movie.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    OP because Orlov was a more menacing nuclear threat than Auric.
    Goldfinger

Bond rating - 7
    Teaser rating - 4
    Song (Bassey) - 4
    Action - 2
    Suspense - 3
    Nonsense - 4
    Stamina - 2
    Villains - 7.5
    Satisfaction - 3
    Value for Money - 4.5

Octopussy

Bond rating - 4.5
    Teaser rating - 9
    Song (Coolidge) - 7
    Action - 6.5
    Suspense - 4
    Nonsense - 7.5
    Stamina - 6.5
    Villains - 5
    Satisfaction - 6.5
    Value For Money - 6
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm surprised how close this is for me; rather a toss up.
    Octopussy it is. But Bassey's song trumps most of the Bond films; it is truly iconic.
  • Goldfinger for me. That's another classic.