The Score of Skyfall

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    xolani wrote:
    James Southall review at Movie-Wave here

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=2884#more-2884

I completely agree with this assessment. :)

New favourite track: 28. Deep Water! Showcases almost all the styles of the score in one piece.

I also agree with the review (thanks for posting it @PeterGreenhil) and Deep Water is also my favourite track :-bd
  • Glad to hear that Adele's SF theme was used by Newman. I had been told this confidentially by a board member in advance and to you who know who you are, thank you for being honest and as you have no doubt been reading, you know I kept my word as well.

Lot of commotion around here today so I haven't been able to hear the full effort, but I will say that it sounds like the best and most complete Bond soundtrack since Arnold's first effort, of which I am a big fan. Newman is doing many of the same things in this one with the use of the 007 theme, main title theme, and a romance theme used in varied pieces. This is how it ought to be done every time, a Bond movie needs this to establish a musical identity. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy watching how the music matches the images, which is the real litmus test as far as I am concerned.

• Glad to hear that Adele's SF theme was used by Newman. I had been told this confidentially by a board member in advance

@MrEon?
  • Glad to hear that Adele's SF theme was used by Newman. I had been told this confidentially by a board member in advance

@MrEon?

I will PM you as this was a confidential conversation.

• Great picks guys! My personal favorite track at the moment is Jellyfish. I love it!
  • MartinBond wrote:
    Erm, my imagination? ;)

Well you have a pretty "accurate" imagination and should definitely spoiler tag that.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    In that case, we should also spoiler tag the Bond 24 thread as things in there might be correct as well... :/ anyway, done.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,215
    MartinBond wrote:
    In that case, we should also spoiler tag the Bond 24 thread as things in there might be correct as well... :/ anyway, done.
    Well I can't say for those ones, but I can say yours does sort of spoil the ending for Skyfall. Thanks for spoiler tagging it though.
    edited October 2012 Posts: 858
    You've seen it then I assume?
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,817
    After listen to the whole ost, I think it's an OK... Nothing superb, but not too bad either. It has some very interesting cues and uses of the Bond theme but it lack thematic coherence, like having one important recurrent theme.
    As I'm a fan of John William's Leitmotif, I really missed it here.
    On the other hand, more in the Bond trend, I like the big bassy sounds of Barry, which SF lacks.
    So in the end, this soundtrack doesn't stand out, not only in the whole musical history of the franchise but even in the non-Barry group of composers.
  • MartinBond wrote:
    You've seen it then I assume?
    No, but I know some who have.
  • Wow nice run down. Ive got the soundtrack but dont want to listen to it until after ive seen the movie. I've found before that if i listen to the music before the movie it take away from whats happening on screen because im sitting there thinking 'oh this is track x'
  • Actually, I take back my earlier comment. The SF score is growing on me now that I'm listening to it more. Plus, there's more Bond Theme in the SF score than the QOS score, at least. I'll take that as a significant improvement.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 13,350
    It's a good, solid enough score but not as good in some areas as I thought it would be. The action tracks are very well done and should work well on screen.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It's a good, solid enough score but not as good in some areas as I thought it would be. The action tracks are very well done and should work well on screen.

Tell me something, can you hum a theme presented? Because I can't. Overall is not bad but doesn't have a theme that stand out.
  • tqbtqb
    Does it have to be hummable? They always say in the industry that music should be seamless in the background, non distracting, just adding to the movie- I think this score does that.
    From my point of view, yes!
    I mean, I can hum the Empire's March, Casablanca's Time Goes By, Gone with the Wind, ecc. If you listen it in the supermarke you can remember the movie. That's what stands out from a soundtrack. The quality is important of course, but for that we have a legion of pieces by the classical masters, which I like and listen.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Parts of the Istanbul section of the film's score are hummable but maybe that wasn't the intention. If you are able to hum a tune does it lose it's edge. I wonder what Newman thinks and his and Mendes' thought process was while scoring?
  • Someone posted each track off the soundtrack on Youtube, I don't know how long they'll be up though. Search 'Skyfall soundtrack' and filter it for today.

That said, there are some fantastic tracks. The 'love theme' with the main title song is seen in just one track, but it sounds great. The "Bond sound" is heard in over 75% of the songs I would say.

If the last minute on this track doesn't get you pumped for some action, preferably in the finale, something's wrong.

Istanbul tracks have that "Istanbul feel", like it should. You hear ALOT of the fast violin heard in The Dark Knight movies. It's a Top 10 soundtrack, but I don't know its place just yet.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 198
    I'm listening now and must say that Skyfall sounds way more exciting than most of Arnold. That's because there is no annoying drum 'n' bass, the sound is powerful and warm, and there are no loose cues and themes.

I can imagine this soundtrack works very well in the movie!
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited October 2012 Posts: 3,277
    Sandy wrote:
    [url]<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/AEESmHXUUjM?version=3&hl=pt_PT"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/AEESmHXUUjM?version=3&hl=pt_PT"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/url]

We can hear this music in a very nice part of the movie.
  • The first minute of Breadcrums = EPIC!!! Classic bond to the max! it even starts out with a trumpet squawk that sounds like it came from Goldfinger or Thunderball. Cant wail!!!

The first minute of Breadcrums = EPIC!!! Classic bond to the max! it even starts out with a trumpet squawk that sounds like it came from Goldfinger or Thunderball. Cant wail!!!

I wouldn't call it classic but it is nice. The start is just like 'The Names Bond' from CR.
    Personally, I would have liked them to have gone on longer in the big build up brass section which IMO is the best part of the theme.
  • Just bought it on Amazon.de -- downloading as I speak, uh, write . . .

;)

Can't wait to listen to it -- so exciting . . !
    dchantry wrote:
    I wouldn't call it classic but it is nice. The start is just like 'The Names Bond' from CR.
    Personally, I would have liked them to have gone on longer in the big build up brass section which IMO is the best part of the theme.

When I heard it in the movie I thought they'd re-used the David Arnold cue. On hearing the soundtrack album though I now realise it's a re-recording - at least in terms of the muted trumpets bit at the start.

Guess the editor had the DA track in there as a guide and TN was asked to keep it.

No surprise since it really works - big crowd pleaser.
  • Personally, I love the soundtrack. Newman, from what I can tell, has offered a thoughtful, layered and interesting score. There's lots of texture in there...and it's exactly what I expected and hoped from Newman.

In reference to "hummable motifs"...I can understand the want for that. The John Williams approach ads to a film and gives it a "sonic identity" if you will...however...in the case of a Bond movie...it already has a sonic identity: The James Bond theme. When we talk about Gone With The Wind, or Star Wars...those are the themes that are unique to them. So when it comes to a James Bond score...it can be brassy...it can be subtle...it can be whatever the film needs it to be...and as long as we have those chord progressions hinting at the Bond theme...or a full out balls to the walls guitar twang moment...I'm happy.

I think in that sense Thomas Newman has succeeded. This is a modern and refreshing change from Arnold. While Arnold has been fantastic post-DAD...I'm happy there is a brief breath of fresh air from a new composer.
  • My thoughts:

Voluntary Retirement - The transition took me by complete surprise, and definitely hints of suspense there. Interesting to see where its being used in the movie.

Brave New World - Does not sound like it should belong in a Bond movie...which is, IMO, fantastic.

Modigliani - Very Barry-esque, Arnold-Romantic. Nice to see this be consistent through the composer changes.

Komodo Dragon - This...this is taking the best of Arnold and bringing it to another level.

Tennyson/Inquiry - Immense buildup followed by a distinct melody that is nothing original, but still sounds very fresh to my ears. Brilliant by Newman to include that pause/delay between the two tracks.

Breadcrumbs - Already talked about, but damn, what a good Bond theme rendition!

She's Mine - Hans Zimmer composing the Bond Action theme? Also, managed to hear some LALD in there...

Mother - Very quiet, very emotional. Curious to see where this will be used in the movie. Sounds like something from Danny Elfman and Spiderman!

In conclusion, I can't really give out a grade based on how Newman uses this in the movie. But what I can tell you is that I think half the tracks in this OST does not seem "Bondian", which has my curious as to how the movie can incorporate it while retaining the roots of Bond!

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i think my favorite track off the entire soundtrack thus far, is Skyfall... there is something very ethereal about it.... no bombastic brass, no pounding drums - and really no melody.. it's just a track, that for me, feels like you're being transported to another reality... it's beautiful, ghostly, and haunting...
    edited October 2012 Posts: 858
    HASEROT wrote:
    it's just a track, that for me, feels like you're being transported to another reality... it's beautiful, ghostly, and haunting...

spoiler tagging this as pretty much everything needs to be spoiler tagged nowadays:
    I think that is exactly the point, taking us to Bond's personal world, a world he has left behind him to stay clear of being hurt by it again. And of course, an old scottish mansion is those 3 words by default ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    When watching the movie, the score imo is great. The first notes that open the movie will put a smile on your face!