The Score of Skyfall

Comments

Actually the whole score of Newman is quite easy to listen to and an improvement on DA's attempts post Brosnan. I think it is the 1st OST from the franchise I have liked in some time.
  • It's not bad but I don't think it's as good as most of Arnolds stuff. I really hope they bring back Arnold for Bond 24.
    Sandy wrote:
    Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (Paramount)

Jack Reacher is going to be a terrible film.
    It's not bad but I don't think it's as good as most of Arnolds stuff. I really hope they bring back Arnold for Bond 24.

I disagree, DA is no composer and his soundtracks show that clearly. Newman is a composer and the music on this OST is a proof of that. I wanted some new vision and a new sound and while DA's OST's sound like a collection of thoughts the Newman attempt has a far more cohesive sound to it.

But to be honest I have listened only once to it. Must load it on my Ipod so I can listen to it some more on my way to and from work.

Not happy with the casting of Tom as Jack Reacher then, @thelivingroyale?

I've only read a couple of Lee Child's books but can fully understand why he doesn't fit the character or description. It seems a shame that a studio wouldn't back a complete unknown or a rising star in the part, but then studios seldom take risks anymore.

Still not sure why you think DA should have had a crack at Skyfall rather than Newman though? I think what Newman's done sounds fresh and exciting, plus a welcome change from what's been delivered recently. For once I'm actually looking forward to hearing the music accompany the imagery.
  • @bondsum Yep. I'm a fan of the books and I think they've ruined what could've been a great film franchise by turning it into another generic Tom Cruise film. This is a man who's known for being small, and he's playing Jack Reacher. Like I said in the film thread, it's hilarious but also sad.

Anyway, I don't mind Newmans score but after all this hype I feel a bit let down. I prefer most of Arnolds stuff (seems like I was one of the only people who was sad when he wasn't doing SF), and I'd like him to return.
    @bondsum Yep. I'm a fan of the books and I think they've ruined what could've been a great film franchise by turning it into another generic Tom Cruise film. This is a man who's known for being small, and he's playing Jack Reacher. Like I said in the film thread, it's hilarious but also sad.

Anyway, I don't mind Newmans score but after all this hype I feel a bit let down. I prefer most of Arnolds stuff (seems like I was one of the only people who was sad when he wasn't doing SF), and I'd like him to return.

I like the fact that you have a strong opinion on here :-). Nice to discuss with you.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited October 2012 Posts: 3,277
    The soundtrack is available on the internet, just found the real deal.
  • @bondsum Yep. I'm a fan of the books and I think they've ruined what could've been a great film franchise by turning it into another generic Tom Cruise film. This is a man who's known for being small, and he's playing Jack Reacher. Like I said in the film thread, it's hilarious but also sad.

I like the fact that you have a strong opinion on here :-). Nice to discuss with you.

Cheers, same with you :)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Good or bad I think giving someone else a chance instead of constantly going back to Arnold can only be a plus, if Arnold thinks it's his gig for the foreseeable future he might be likely not to be challenged, by having another composer break his streak up might do him some good. When he returns he's likely to feel more fired up and wanting to prove himself.

I personally like Newman's score the 30 minutes or so I've heard and look forward to hearing it in the film, I did actually think it was going to be a bit bland and generic after the few reviews which actually mentioned it but was pleasantly surprised by what I heard unless Mendes returns I think it will be a one off and Arnold will return unless the next director like Mendes decides to bring their own composer with them.

• MrBondMrBond Station S

Where?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited October 2012 Posts: 8,028
    I too have had a listen, and I am letdown by it as well. BUT, there's quite a lot of good bits in there. Newman's rendition of the Bond theme is rather good and the 'Severinè' track is quite beautiful. But, there's a lot of unmemorable stuff too. Tracks that remind me of the less interesting parts of Powell's Bourne music, like the title track 'Skyfall'. There's a lot of filler in there that could have been taken out with no loss to the listener. The action cues are quite good, especially the opening track and 'The Bloody Shot.'

I like it though, not as much as Arnold's stuff but it'll grow on me I'm sure. If Mendes returns, I'm sure Newman will, and I'll have no issue with that. Although I would like Arnold to do another one. I'm sure he'll feel that he'll have something to prove now, and that's when most musicians work at their best.
  • MrBond wrote:

Where?

Any downloads without torrents?

• edited October 2012 Posts: 11,119
    I have the entire soundtrack downloaded now. Listening to it NOW! All .m4a QuickTime format, but works perfect!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm going to start searching for it now...
    Samuel001 wrote:

Check IsHunt. You can't miss it. It's a 150 MB file. I just loveee track 2, 'Voluntary Retirement'.
    8->
    xolani wrote:
    8->

=P~ =P~ =P~
    I believe I have found it. Thank you. Though you shouldn't really post that type of news here, it's frowned upon.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I got it, and it sounds pretty mediocre. Nothing to special.

Where is a full rendition of the James Bond Theme?
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    Just listened to "welcome to Schotland", it sounds like Mr. Bond's up for a cold reception...
    MrBond wrote:
    I got it, and it sounds pretty mediocre. Nothing to special.

Where is a full rendition of the James Bond Theme?

Be patient....and just start the music score ride from track 1. It's 77 minutes.
    I think he has listened to the full thing ;)
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I really can't see what Arnold couldn't have done on this soundtrack.

Should be downloaded in ten minutes but I'll have to listen to it tomorrow. I'll post my views on each track then. Bye for now.
    MrBond wrote:
    I really can't see what Arnold couldn't have done on this soundtrack.

I will come back to you later ;-). Because I think Arnold could not have done this, because this oozes Thomas Newman sound with a slight Barry flair.
    edited October 2012 Posts: 858
    I think it's good, very fresh, and it has the barry trick of adjusting the instruments to the location, but I haven't heard anything yet that is 100% different from Arnold's work. I for one, am also missing the Bond theme as a whole. It's included in a number of tracks for about 10 seconds, but no big blaring full orchastration, wich is a shame really...

Who knows though, maybe if he'll return for B24 he can give us the full blaring one, with track 1 called "Gunbarrel"? ;)
    MartinBond wrote:
    I think it's good, very fresh, and it has the barry trick of adjusting the instruments to the location, but I haven't heard anything yet that is 100% different from Arnold's work.
    Who knows though, maybe if he'll return for B24 he can give us a jewel like "Moonraker" ;)

I never said that Newman would indeed be very different from Arnold. Though I think Newman's rhytmn's and percussion parts are much more effective than Arnold's. Percussion is Thomas Newman's thingie. Have you actually heard his previous soundtracks?

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Samuel001 wrote:

Check IsHunt. You can't miss it. It's a 150 MB file. I just loveee track 2, 'Voluntary Retirement'.

One thing I do like is how Newman seems to be channeling "Thunderball" in particular with his Barry references. That's quite good.

Samuel001 wrote:

One thing I do like is how Newman seems to be channeling "Thunderball" in particular with his Barry references. That's quite good.

Track 20) 'Tennyson' is my favourite so far. I don't see how conductor Thomas Newman can make strings sound so smoothly blended together. A nice original bit of melody too. 21) 'Enquiry' actually follows track 20 straight away; they belong to each other. Track 21 is again a track that David Arnold couldn't do. How Thomas uses the flutes (german flutes to be precise) is so suave and smooth and indeed a bit Thunderball-esque.

Hmmm, track 23) Skyfall...very interesting. Must be the only track where Thomas Newman seemed to use vocals from a choir. Actually, bit 'American Beauty'-esque. Kinda sad piece of music :-( *sniff*. And track 24) 'Kill Them First'...I adore this one! Lots of dramatic cello's. I can't remember David Arnold using cello's like this. Sounds like a prelude to a explosive fighting scene.

Track 26) 'She's Mine' is the bigger, bolder mixture of some James Bond theme elements and track 24. Sub melodies from 'Kill Them First' surrounding the main core melody of The James Bond theme. Lotsss of Barry-esque strings. Climax kicks in at 3min05sec. LOVE IT! Best so far!

One remarkable thing about Newman's score: The pace, the rhytmn seems very constant in each track, much more constant than all those rhytmn changes from Arnold's scores. I think you can compare Newman's action themes a bit better with John Powell instead of David Arnold...IF you really need to compare.

And IF you really want to compare with previous Bond scores from John Barry, I would compare it with the scores for 'From Russia With Love' and 'Thunderball'. Those were more of the rougher, bolder, climax-building attempts from Barry.
    FIRST IMPRESSIONS: (the ones I love are bold)

- Grand Bazaar, Istanbul - suspense! Turkish tunes! wonderful intro...
    - Voluntary Retirement - only Newman can do emotions like the first 1 minute
    - New Digs - already discussed - very atmospheric IMO
    - Severine - already discussed - Arnoldesque, sweeping, beautiful, calm & exciting, but too short!
    - Brave New World - first surprise: first 30 seconds very Barry-like, then some Asian influences
    - Shanghai Drive - cold, "modern", should fit very well with Shanghai's blue lights
    - Jellyfish - pulsating, dark, but a little repetitive.
    - Silhouette - somewhere between Zimmer's epic, dark Batman scores and Newman's experimentation
    - Modigliani - very Barryesque, stylish, TOO SHORT!!
    - Day Wasted - again very atmospheric, pulsating, versatile - love the different instruments, the Bondian feel - so satisfying!
    - Quartermaster - typical Newman for lighter moments, percussion, wonderful strings - 2:20 and 4:20 onwards are i-n-t-e-n-s-e! almost has this hip-hop beat to it :)
    - Someone Usually Dies - Arnoldesque (if there is such a thing) + Bond theme elements at the end - I like it!
    - Komodo Dragon - everybody's favourite for a reason: perfect mix of old and new, Barryesque, still very much Thomas Newman, some "exotic" elements, sometimes almost melancholic
    - The Bloody Shot - conveys urgency, but too repetitive, IMO - one of the few I don't like...but might be ok with the movie, especially the Bond theme + cufflinks combo ;)
    - Enjoying Death - soft, atmospheric
    - The Chimera - very dramatic, love the wind section! 1:25 onwards - creepy Newman goodness....
    - Close Shave - light-hearted, but a little formulaic
    - Health & Safety - strings! could be good with the movie
    - Granborough Road - wohoo, suspense! epicness! love how it still has a very Bondian feel to it and doesn't succumb to the Zimmer style too much! 2:15 onwards - beautiful little gem of a Bond theme
    - Tennyson - bo-bo-boom, BASS! again has that perfect mixture of Barry, Newman & Zimmer! and melody!
    - Enquiry - Bond theme! Action! Suspense! Drama! Flute! this is the most versatile track, IMO. one of my favourites!! how I actually thought a Newman Bond score could be!
    - Breadcrumbs - already discussed - Gunbarrel? love how the Bond theme dissolves into the style (and melody) of the soundtrack
    - Skyfall - second surprise: kind of electronic, ambient-like...sad.....conveys shock, failure, dark mood, on a very personal level - wonderful oboe! Top 5!
    - Kill Them First - again has the theme that is a thread throughout the score + feels like the end is coming closer. also, more Batman vibes...
    - Welcome to Scotland - I picture a foggy landscape, an Aston Martin....then BOOM! perfect buildup, perfect action score. reminded me a little of the Sherlock Holmes OST...
    - She's Mine - most Zimmer-like track of the score. just compare it to the TDK soundtrack. a little too much IMO. but a wonderful Bond theme for the last 50 seconds!
    - The Moors - already discussed - should make a perfect action scene!
    - Deep Water - alternating between "ambienty", very dark & creepy and very Bondian, Arnoldesque parts - love it!
    - Mother - I have stated my love for this track before. very emotional, typical Newman. has a heroic quality and BEAUTIFUL melody to it.
    - Adrenaline - again has this "Turkish" vibe, with a cold, electronic edge. Feels like something from the beginning or the end credits.
    - Old Dog, New Tricks - Barryesque, jazzy, relaxed, very stylish.

FIRST CONCLUSION: I was surprised how much Zimmer I could hear from this. Which wasn't a bad thing, usually, just added to the epicness of the score. Some repetitive tracks, some very bland parts could be heard. But alltogether - WOW. What differentiated this from an Arnold soundtrack? Its versatility! Newman manages to be himself, but infuses some other styles, more melody than I expected, and a whole lot of suspense. And there even seems to be a thread running through about two thirds of the tracks, a common theme...

Favourite track so far (maybe something else grows on me): 21. Enquiry

Thank you, Thomas Newman! Bond (music) is back! (*) (*) (*) (*) (*)