Comments

• Sounds great!
  • Wow, Komodo Dragon is fantastic.
  • tqbtqb
    Bond theme isn't bad at all. Yes it's a rendition of Arnolds but not bad
  • tqbtqb
    (Breadcrumbs)
  • I can't wait to hear the whole score! =D>
    Mother just sounds epic and spectacular.
  • Listen to 30 minutes of the Skyfall score here.
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/skyfall-and-50-years-of-james-bond/
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Wonderful work all. Thanks. I like the sound of this score very much. Even if, it's a one off.
    If you go to the Swedish iTunes, you can listen to different previews of all the songs!
    To be honest?
    I. ADORE. IT. It's so much more crisp and clear and composed in such a tender way. Less 'overblown' sound than David Arnold's Bond scores. The various members of the orchestra sound much more 'rehearsed'. And surprisingly, almost a complete absence of Arnold's 'electronic noice'. It's certainly very Thomas Newman, as it sounds more romantic, but it has a better 'John Barry' vibe.

My favourite score since John Barry's 'The Living Daylights'. Period!
    Does Vic Flick play on this soundtrack?
  • Those 30 minutes are awesome. I'm really starting to believe in this score again, after early reviews lowered my expectations. Newman's version of Arnold's "The Names Bond" is awesome, AND he incorporates Adele's theme (see about 17 min into part 1 of podcast). Some other parts sound very Barry like, and the rest that doesnt stand out I imagine perfectly compliments the movie!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,168
    Every Bond movie has some sort of melody attached to it which is played more than once during the movie. Barry used the melody from the title song, for example, and Arnold came up with some of his own when not involved in the title song (like TND and DAD)

Any ideas which Newman track(s) carries the "Skyfall melody", ie repeating theme?

• edited October 2012 Posts: 20
    Wow, just listened to the Facebook samples, and definately raises my opinion of the score so far. They sound so much better than the reviews have stated. It does sound like Bond, and, apart from not having a repeating theme, sound bold, brassy and different, yet fitting. It reminds me very much of the TSWLM score.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 501
    I like the fact that Adele's song is introduced in score mode in the movie. And the Bond theme is quite phenomenal
    I love this OST could be the best one since the Barry days
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Listen to 30 minutes of the Skyfall score here.

Thanks for the link, I have to say I like these 30 minutes, they are definitely Newman but still undoubtedly Bond. I'm feeling tempted to buy the soundtrack when it comes out!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I like it and I think I'll be buying the ST also.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    My iTunes still says expected oct 19th but still says pre order , stop playing with me apple!!
  • Is it just me or is Newman's version of the James Bond theme called "Breadcrumbs" on the soundtrack? From what I've heard, this soundtrack is going to be very exciting and a great listen. Each song seems to perfectly match the action and locations that have been revealed in Skyfall's trailers. Sounds good!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Did anybody else notice a little bit of LALD and TB in the soundtrack?
    Sandy wrote:
    Did anybody else notice a little bit of LALD and TB in the soundtrack?

No, but I did notice lots of the Dark Knight.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 3,168
    Here's someone from FilmTracks who has listened to the full album, and their reaction.
    http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/index.cgi?read=117420&expand=1#117420
    "More interestingly, Newman doesn't really show any enthusiasm for the concept in this work. Much of his music here is procedural. He doesn't try particularly hard to leave his comfort zone, and that zone isn't exactly similar to the Bond sound to begin with. Arnold, on the other hand, slipped into the franchise without much alteration to his style necessary, and you could tell in each of his scores, even the poorer ones, that he loved what he was doing. He's a fan. Conversely, there is no passion from Newman. The lack of passion is devastating."
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,021
    Listen to 30 minutes of the Skyfall score here.

thanks for the link. currently listening to it and I take everything back i said about the music after those small clips previewed...so far my faith as been completely restored. the opening track is superb!
  • Talk about mater of taste... I don't get what makes Newman's score so superior to the Arnold ones.... I honestly hear nothing special. From what I've heard, I would still prefer Arnold, who is really underrated imo.
    No, he is not Barry...nobody is. But I don't get a feeling we are getting recognisable and memorable themes with Skyfall's score. "Severine" for example doesn't stick out to me and lacks a strong melody imo. How is it better than Arnold's Vesper theme?

I still don't think it sounds bad and I enjoy a fresh take on the Bond music. But after all the praise for Newman...I am really disappointed.
    For what it's worth I like the part that starts about 17 minutes into part 1. And one thing I like is, how playful Newman is.

I'll wait til I hear the whole score and see how it fits the movie. But at the moment: Not bad but disappointing and I see no reason why Arnold's efforts should be regarded as worse.
  • I have completely changed my mind about the score based on the 30 minute preview above. There are some really good pieces in there. I think it will fit the film well. As I said earlier. My faith in the score has been restored. i have always enjoyed Arnolds work for the series and his score to TND is amongst one of my favourites. Newman does bring something new and interesting to the table and the score is very Newmanesque in places but from the 30 minute preview not as heavy though as I thought it would be. Luckily a catastrophic score à la GE has thankfully been fully avoided!!!
  • I don't think Newman's score (form what I've heard of it) is any better or worse than Arnold's, in fact I really like DA's work in general. What I do like about it is a change in style. I did find Arnold using similar themes in TWINE and DAD, and similar ones in CR and QoS (for good reason I might add). But with someone new to the table it does allow new themes to be heard without resorting to same old ones. Only Barry seemed to be able to bring new unique themes to each score.

For Bond 24 I'd welcome back Arnold as much as I'd welcome back any Newman or any new composer.
  • The complete opening track on Cinematic Sound is a stunner. The 30 odd minutes is very strong IMO and more 'Barryish' at times than was apparent from the Amazon and Sony samples. I still need to hear the complete CD and see how it works in the movie. However, this could be the best Bond score since 'The Living Daylights'.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I hear absolutely nothing special in this soundtrack. I am under-whelmed.
    Even the fact that they will use Arnolds Bond theme in the film get's me worried.
  • I have completely changed my mind about the score based on the 30 minute preview above. There are some really good pieces in there. I think it will fit the film well. As I said earlier. My faith in the score has been restored. i have always enjoyed Arnolds work for the series and his score to TND is amongst one of my favourites. Newman does bring something new and interesting to the table and the score is very Newmanesque in places but from the 30 minute preview not as heavy though as I thought it would be. Luckily a catastrophic score à la GE has thankfully been fully avoided!!!

That was definitely my biggest fear in all of this. Some people were so anxious to get rid of the "devil they knew" in Arnold that they would have accepted almost anyone and acted like it was better even if it wasn't. Fools. I won't get to hear the above link until tonight but I have gotten to listen to the 30 second clip German sampler and heard enough potential in there to safely agree that we won't be getting 1995 garbage again.

I am still far from convinced that this is demonstrably better than Arnold, especially in terms of Bondian feel. Arnold could have written some of this material but not all of it. The romantic pieces I've heard thus far are not up to what Arnold has brought in terms of emotional content although "Modigliani" is something I need to fully hear before I can say this is 100% true. On a strictly technical level though there is no question that Newman is clearly more skilled, as was Serra to be truthful if he had just paid attention to the fact he was writing for Bond and not Luc Besson. This could be really good if the music matches the scenes. But it isn't the "second coming of Barry" or George Martin for that matter.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 824
    Hopefully, it'll signal the end of Arnold, as a Bond composer, though.