Will the 50 year jubilee help pushing the boxoffice of 'SkyFall' to a gross 900 million worldwide?

Comments

• edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @BondBug Just watch the trailer to see it's not a popcorn film.

Like I said, I think it'll be successful and I'm happy as long as it keeps the series going but 900 million is wishful thinking. If it does make that much, brilliant, proved me wrong, but I honestly don't think it will.

You keep talking about these world wide celebrations but aren't mentioning what they are, so I'll tell you. A Bond day where next to nothing is happening, a documentary that's only in limited Odeon cinemas here in the UK, an auction nobody can afford to go to, yep, world wide celebrations!

You are right about Adele, that is good publicity, but I doubt she would push it over 900 million. People won't go and see the film just because of the song, they can get that anyway, if they're intested in Adele but not the film they won't go and see it, they'll just get the song of Itunes.

My guess is 700 to 800 million.
    The term "Popcorn Movie" means a film that appeals to a mass audience. Are we saying that this film won't appeal to a mass audience then because it's directed by Sam Mendes and he won't allow it to be popular? I think you're totally wrong about that and @BondBug is closer to the mark.
  • RC7RC7
    bondsum wrote:
    The term "Popcorn Movie" means a film that appeals to a mass audience. Are we saying that this film won't appeal to a mass audience then because it's directed by Sam Mendes and he won't allow it to be popular? I think you're totally wrong about that and @BondBug is closer to the mark.

It will appeal to a large audience but it won't be a popcorn flick in the way something like Avengers is - to use a very successful comparison. Skyfall will undoubtedly have some emotional weight to it, something redundant from the Avengers. I think the consensus is that while incorporating some classic traits it won't be a comic book movie.

All that aside, it doesn't really matter, it still won't gross 900m.
    The mainstream American audience never seems to buy into Bond as much as Europe and Asia IMO. If it did then we may be talking Dark Knight-esque BO proportions.
  • RC7RC7
    LeChiffre wrote:
    The mainstream American audience never seems to buy into Bond as much as Europe and Asia IMO. If it did then we may be talking Dark Knight-esque BO proportions.

Totally agree. This is what I tried to imply in a previous post but it was misconstrued.
    750 Mill
    RC7 wrote:
    BondBug wrote:
    All I am arguing is that it is "quite possible." I am being open minded and laying out some reasons why I wouldn't rule it out. Who would have predicted Mission Impossible 4 would go to $700m worldwide from MI3's $400m? I have been following box office forums for fifteen years, and one thing I have learned is that the people who insist they are right can end up looking like fools, because this isn't an exact science and there are always movies that outperform or underperform from expectations.

It's not 'quite possible' at all. There's being open minded and there's being ridiculous. I'm quite happy to look a fool, however, I bet you here and now £20 that it won't make £900m. I'll transfer you the money the day it hits it. Deal?

With all due respect, I think you are being a little too serious over this matter.

• RC7RC7
    Not serious, just realistic. I was countering the blasé comments about Skyfall being a box office behemoth based purely on personal appreciation and not much else.
    actonsteve wrote:
    BondBug wrote:

Daniel Craig has said this would be a return to the classic Bond. I am expecting to see the return of Q, gadgets, the Aston Martin, a larger than life villain and "all the ingredients of a classic Bond movie," as Sam Mendes has stated. In other words, the producers are determined to give audiences what they want to see from a Bond movie after the disappointing reception to the last movie. You have every right to think that does not make it more of a popcorn movie.

It wont be a popcorn movie. Its just not in Craigs or Mendes nature to make a popcorn movie. Their brain automatically kicks in. There will be exploring Bonds psyche because that's the kind of thing which interests them (and me). Also, with
    Judis last one
    they are going to wring every last opportunity to use her and her character.

There will be the Bond "crutches" ie Q, Aston Martin etc but those expecting another Moonraker are going to be sorely disapointed.

Personally, I don't think Moonraker would be such a big hit today. That movie was of its time. It was arguably the most jokey Bond flick, never taking itself seriously. I really don't think that will work as well with the current audiences.

RC7 wrote:
    bondsum wrote:

It will appeal to a large audience but it won't be a popcorn flick in the way something like Avengers is - to use a very successful comparison. Skyfall will undoubtedly have some emotional weight to it, something redundant from the Avengers. I think the consensus is that while incorporating some classic traits it won't be a comic book movie.

All that aside, it doesn't really matter, it still won't gross 900m.

With all due respect, The Avengers made over one and a half BILLION dollars. It is the highest grossing movie outside Titanic and Avatar (unadjusted for inflation). Probably not a fair comparison to make the point that Skyfall isn't a popcorn movie.

• RC7RC7
    @BondBug Sorry I don't understand the point you're trying to make?
    bondsum wrote:

Thank you Bondsum for making that point. I salute you for making that point, because if the argument is that this is not a popcorn movie and it will lack mass appeal, we could be looking at a flop that could spell the end of the series! Let's hope that this will not be the case!

BondBug wrote:
    Personally, I don't think Moonraker would be such a big hit today. That movie was of its time. It was arguably the most jokey Bond flick, never taking itself seriously. I really don't think that will work as well with the current audiences.

I think that can be applied to a lot of movies and is as such not much of a reasoning when talking old 007 movies.

I always have blast when people complain about Titanic & Avatar, it might not be their taste but loads of people have a different taste and they went and saw the movies in large crowds. Cameron must know something about making movies for the masses that a lot of folks want to know. ;)

• RC7RC7
    BondBug wrote:
    bondsum wrote:

Thank you Bondsum for making that point. I salute you for making that point, because if the argument is that this is not a popcorn movie and it will lack mass appeal, we could be looking at a flop that could spell the end of the series! Let's hope that this will not be the case!

This isn't the argument. The argument is over how much money it will make. Or it was until you realised you'd wildly overestimated it's potential.

Germanlady wrote:
    750 Mill

Yeah I'd put my money on it earning about that.
    RC7 wrote:
    BondBug wrote:
    bondsum wrote:

This isn't the argument. The argument is over how much money it will make. Or it was until you realised you'd wildly overestimated it's potential.

You can't say I overestimated its potential until we start seeing the figures, unless you are saying it is already a fact you are right about this. And I haven"t realized I"d wildly overestimated its potential. I think the potential is there, all my above points considered, if the movie itself also delivers.

Best Bond film ever, over 900 million dollars, Oscar nominations, etc.

SF looks great and will make money but I think some people are really getting ahead of themselves.
    650-700 Million...No more then that, the only way Bond will ever break 800-1Billion will be in 10 years when ticket prices go up and by then all the other big movies will be on 2Billion.
    As long as Skyfall blows the "pretender to the spy-genre throne" Bourne Legacy out of the water I'll be happy and as that film has to date only grossed $220 million on a $120 million budget after months on release (somwhat of a flop) it's odds on that'll happen. Let's not forget also that Bond movies don't have the inflated 3D prices to fall back on (thankfully) that alot of superhero flicks depend on and that blue thing directed by Cameron.
  • LeChiffre wrote:
    As long as Skyfall blows the "pretender to the spy-genre throne" Bourne Legacy out of the water

Oh God here we go again. People please, stop comparing Bond and Bourne! It only causes trouble and they're not even really in competition with eachother.
    SaintMark wrote:
    BondBug wrote:

I think that can be applied to a lot of movies and is as such not much of a reasoning when talking old 007 movies.

I always have blast when people complain about Titanic & Avatar, it might not be their taste but loads of people have a different taste and they went and saw the movies in large crowds. Cameron must know something about making movies for the masses that a lot of folks want to know. ;)

Yes, I agree. Personally, I loved Moonraker, but blockbuster movies generally seem to have got darker. Moonraker was a movie kids could enjoy, not so sure about the violence and darkness of the recent Bonds as family films.

I do think that the Jubilee and the Olympics have created a 'cool Britannia' (hated New Labour phrase) vibe about the country again and SF could well tap into some of that.

If it is as strong a film as it seems then I expect it to be Daniel Craigs biggest box office quite comfortably. Obviously its not going to get anywhere near TDK but I think upper 700m to 800m is definitely viable.

I watched MI4 for the first time the other day and have to say I wasnt blown away. Seemed rather more convoluted than usual and the Burj Al Kalifa stunts apart I cant say the set pieces blew me away at all.

That combination does it: The Golden Jubilee and the actual performance of HMS The Queen as the oldest Bond girl in history during the Great Brittain Olympics. Add the 5th of October as Official James Bond Day and Adele's roaring title theme hitting the charts and indeed we could reach the 900 million Dollar gross worldwide.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 158
    Yes Gustav, Adele's Skyfall could be number one in 30 countries. You can't buy publicity that good (other than paying Adele millions to sing the song).
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,778
    I'm not sure about 900 mil but I have no doubt it will outgross CR and QOS. I'm guessing maybe 700 mil given the hype and prolonged gap between films.
    It will make 700,007,007.. Exactly.
  • OddJaws wrote:
    It will make 700,007,007.. Exactly.

That'd be pretty awesome.

But as a previous poster mentioned you never can really predict it until the film opens. Who would've thought Fast Five would make over 600 mil last year. Or that Alice in Wonderland would've grossed a billion dollars with an April release in 2010. A lot of it has to do with positive word of mouth which I believe Skyfall will have. Plus it's IMAX showings will rake in extra dollars. 900 mil is a stretch but stranger things have happened with box office numbers.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,119
    'Mission Impossible IV: Ghost Protocol' brought in a gross $694,713,380 worldwide. Arrived at the final boxoffice numbers for 'Skyfall' we're already in the spring of 2013. We tend to forget the biggest starcast ever for a Bond film (Judi Dench, Oscar winner Javier Bardem, Albert Finney, Ralph Fiennes, cute Ben Whishaw). Even Barbara Broccoli admitted it. Taking into account ticket inflation, and the bigger buzz surrounding 'Skyfall', I am pretty certain the movie will propell itself easily towards $875,000,000 to maybe $900,000,000. It's a very small part wishfull thinking from my side, but for the overwhelming part it's just plain commercial common sense.
  • I'm not sure about 900 mil but I have no doubt it will outgross CR and QOS. I'm guessing maybe 700 mil given the hype and prolonged gap between films.

This is what I think. It'll probably be the highest grossing Bond film, but it won't make 900 million.
  • RC7RC7
    It's a very small part wishfull thinking from my side, but for the overwhelming part it's just plain commercial common sense.

I think you have these two mixed up.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The millions will take care of itself just si long as the film doesn't suck.

Bourne Legacy was barely mediocre and has underperformed extraordinarily. Taken 2 will make just about or slightly less than the first one, assuming the film's bad word of mouth does the rounds. Honestly, as long as SF is a strong and entertaining flick, it'll make around the high 60million mark.