James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• Does anyone know why Bond Girls are Forever has been dropped as an extra from the Casion Royale disc?

Might be a rights issue, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your reply! There seems to be a lot of debate about having the mono soundtracks or not and whats the best region to get based on inclusion of the tracks.

Does anyone know why the mono tracks are held in such regard? Also any opinions on the quality of the Mission Control feature that was dropped would be interesting.
  • RyanKint wrote:
    Release day is finally HERE!!!!

Just waiting for citysprint to deliver mine :)]
    Know how you feel...its gonna be a looooong morning!! "looks like I picked the wrong week to quit anphetamines"

Hi, I dont feel mine will come today. I ordered on HMV and they are sneding it with a currier named Hermies. I rang them and they said they havent received it, but HMV said they must have as i have a tracking number. The tracking isnt even updating. But HMV said that it should arrive today, they have had lots of people ringing up about it. Oh well, i think mine is going to be a bit longer. I dont trust this Hermes :(
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Does anyone know why the mono tracks are held in such regard? Also any opinions on the quality of the Mission Control feature that was dropped would be interesting.

Mono tracks are the original way the film was made and heard. Blu-ray has enough 'space' for both 5.1 (or 7.1 whatever) HD Master audio and the mono track, and so you can choose which one you wish to hear. Most 5.1s of original mono recordings sound a bit off, so it is nice to have it as originally made.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well the missus got me up at 8.30 to take her to the tube as it was pissing down and after that it didn't seem worth going back to bed so to my credit I trekked down to HMV.

I decided to park my cynicism for the day and although it cost £100 when obviously I could get it cheaper, I am now the proud owner of a new box set signed by Mr Richard Kiel.

Had to go to work so couldn't hang on for Britt who was doing interviews.
    Well the missus got me up at 8.30 to take her to the tube as it was pissing down and after that it didn't seem worth going back to bed so to my credit I trekked down to HMV.

I decided to park my cynicism for the day and although it cost £100 when obviously I could get it cheaper, I am now the proud owner of a new box set signed by Mr Richard Kiel.

Had to go to work so couldn't hang on for Britt who was doing interviews.

I was contemplating going down there yesterday but decided against it.

Well done though.
    I don't think it's something I'll repeat to be honest.

At least just coming on this website every day you can maybe convince yourself you're not a geek but actually fronting up in the rain with a paltry 20 odd other bedraggled souls does make you question what you are doing with your life (no offence to any of the 10 other people in the queue for Richards signature).

I felt sorry for poor old Richard - he's been sitting doing this shit for 30 odd years now and he did look pretty bored by all the retarded questions ('Can you see Jaws returning?' Priceless answer from Mr Kiel 'well it would take some creative writing but I'd consider it.') Cant blame him as there was an underlying air of tragedy about the whole thing. I was a bit reminded of An Afternoon With Alan Partridge.

'Its a TV show that's just not on the TV with Wagon Wheels and Sue Cook.'
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Roger Moore interviewd by the Sunrise.

Were there many people there @ Wizard?
  • RC7RC7
    I don't think it's something I'll repeat to be honest.

At least just coming on this website every day you can maybe convince yourself you're not a geek but actually fronting up in the rain with a paltry 20 odd other bedraggled souls does make you question what you are doing with your life (no offence to any of the 10 other people in the queue for Richards signature).

I felt sorry for poor old Richard - he's been sitting doing this shit for 30 odd years now and he did look pretty bored by all the retarded questions ('Can you see Jaws returning?' Priceless answer from Mr Kiel 'well it would take some creative writing but I'd consider it.') Cant blame him as there was an underlying air of tragedy about the whole thing. I was a bit reminded of An Afternoon With Alan Partridge.

'Its a TV show that's just not on the TV with Wagon Wheels and Sue Cook.'

Work got in the way of a 10:00 visit this morning. Just popped down to pick up a copy. I have to say, what remained of the stage looked pretty tragic. There was the Bond 50 trailer on loop on a poor quality big screen behind a tiny stage that seemed to have a few twilight box sets discarded on it.

I did an entire loop of the store looking for the box set, I was expecting some form of display but no. Just a couple of display cases on the chart section. That was it. I'm glad I got a copy, if only to see OHMSS but EON really could up their game. The marketing is utterly abysmal.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't think anyone on this forum expected such a droll return on advertising/Bond celebrations this year. Especially with all the ads that forget about George and barely show Tim. And now Sean is barely being featured, no doubt stemming from his comments about Cubby. :-<
  • Mine arrived this morning, courtesy of Amazon. I am so far very impressed. Both the box and the two books of discs are of high quality, the printing is good and the images are presented in a nicely designed way. The "extras disc" is dissappointing as the exclusive videos are only about 4 mins each. Popped in FYEO (one of my faves) and the HD quality is superb. Something I never noticed before is how cold it is when Bond visits Tracy's grave at the beginning. You can see the condensation when they breath and everything.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 9,117
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Were there many people there @ Wizard?

Err in a word no.

About half a dozen paparazzi, half a dozen publicists/hangers on (presumably employed in some way by EON or the studio), another half dozen HMV staff with not a lot to do, a couple of quite tasty looking bouncers and about 15-20 geeks/bemused HMV customers/losers/intelligent fans with a keen sense or irony. (FYI I am in the latter group. Anyone else who was there - you know to which group you belong.)

The shocking thing was at 10 all the paps and losers would stood out in the rain waiting so I perused HMV. Then the Bond music piped up and there were signs of something happening so I went to the door. As the numbers attending were so piss poor I found myself right at the front stood next to some HMV staff inches away from the Aston and as Britt got out I realised I was in direct line of the paps lenses and if they used that shot it would look like just tragic case me and the HMV guy had turned up. Hopefully my dodge behind a column inside was in the nick of time but I'll be mortified if I wind up in the Standard tonight.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Just got back to work after lunch and mine's here! Am a happy camper now. Well done Amazon, faith restored. OHMSS tonight, oh yes.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Very nicely done @TheWizardOfIce, thanks for braving the rain for us all.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Do they sell the films individually or just in the boxset?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Just in the box set, as of now.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited September 2012 Posts: 3,277
  • Arghhh 3pm and no sign of mine :(

Citysprint........ Only half right
    In the 3rd to last photo with Britt in the car and a bloke who looks like Liam Gallagher standing behind it there is a column with the 007 logo written on it. I dodged behind this column literally a second before this picture was taken.

A narrow squeak.

I'm hoping it was too much of a non event for The Standard or London Tonight to bother covering.
    BAIN123 wrote:

No mate. And even the box set you have to ask behind the counter for as all the display boxes were dummies. More brilliant marketing from EON.
    Actually why didn't EON wait till the 5th to release this on Bond day? Might have got a few more people turn up rather than a handful of HMV staff, a sprinkling of social misfits and my good self.
    In the 3rd to last photo with Britt in the car and a bloke who looks like Liam Gallagher standing behind it there is a column with the 007 logo written on it. I dodged behind this column literally a second before this picture was taken.

A narrow squeak.

I'm hoping it was too much of a non event for The Standard or London Tonight to bother covering.
    BAIN123 wrote:

No mate. And even the box set you have to ask behind the counter for as all the display boxes were dummies. More brilliant marketing from EON.
    Actually why didn't EON wait till the 5th to release this on Bond day? Might have got a few more people turn up rather than a handful of HMV staff, a sprinkling of social misfits and my good self.

You're a social misfit too. Don't deny it :)

• edited September 2012 Posts: 83
    Okay my set just arrived :)

OHMSS has both DTS Master HD and Mono

Had a quick play and the gunshots in mono sound like the original cut. The DTS effects are not as bad as the DVD UE release

It also seem that the Moore films have the original Dolby surround soundtrack as well
    RyanKint wrote:
    Arghhh 3pm and no sign of mine :(

4pm now and no box set... bloody HMV... never get anything right...
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 655
    TPM007 wrote:
    RyanKint wrote:

My boxset wont be coming today. very disapointed. Nothing wrong with HMV, but they have a terrible courier serivce. Hermies are total rubish. Do no recommend Hermies. Very unreliable and dont even update their tracking

I got mine from hmv, but they have used a realy bad courier. HMV are looking into it.
    TPM007 wrote:
    RyanKint wrote:

My boxset wont be coming today. very disapointed. Nothing wrong with HMV, but they have a terrible courier serivce. Hermies are total rubish. Do no recommend Hermies. Very unreliable and dont even update their tracking

I got mine from hmv, but they have used a realy bad courier service that doesnt even give you a time slot. Isnt yours with Hermes. ?

Yeah, and if I remember correctly, yours was sent on the same day as mine (Wednesday) so I certainly hope that I'll be doing some unwrapping tomorrow instead...
  • zb007zb007 UK
    TPM007 wrote:
    TPM007 wrote:
    RyanKint wrote:

I got mine from hmv, but they have used a realy bad courier service that doesnt even give you a time slot. Isnt yours with Hermes. ?

Yeah, and if I remember correctly, yours was sent on the same day as mine (Wednesday) so I certainly hope that I'll be doing some unwrapping tomorrow instead...

I hope everyone who ordered from HMV gets them soon very annoying this to say the least
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 655
    zb007 wrote:
    TPM007 wrote:
    TPM007 wrote:
    RyanKint wrote:

I hope everyone who ordered from HMV gets them soon very annoying this to say the least

Yes, i mean, HMV did send them out in enough time. Wednesday, ready for monday. Its the courier that i blame. I will be ringing hmv back up soon to ask them if they have followed up on it. They said they have had loads of people ringing up about it. :( Theres still a possability mine could come as it does say delayed at 11:00.

Its the last time i used hmv. Plam.com is a totally different story. They have a courier that lets you know when it will be delivered . Hermes are just total crap.
  • RC7RC7
    This is why I never pre-order.
  • RC7 wrote:
    This is why I never pre-order.
    I always preorder, it's only HMV that have issues. Proerdering online can actually be better as you get them early. On play, i receive preorders 3 days before day. Its only HMV that are not great.

• zb007zb007 UK
    According to someone on another site

I ordered mine from HMV.com and they dispatched it last Wednesday. It hasn't arrived so I phoned them, and it turns out that there was a mix-up with the courier. Apparently they thought they weren't allowed to begin the shipping process until today, whereas they were actually supposed to have delivered all of them today.

• I didn't realise you also got a free coaster because that's all the so called bonus disc is useful for :(

At least CR does have all the extras :)

Slightly amused at the UA logo on GE. It's the 1995 music but with the recent logo!!!!!

The transfers look AMAZING especially the 1962-1989 period. The 1995 films onwards don't seem to be much of an improvement over the UE.