Comments

• edited September 2012 Posts: 366
    Got mine!

2ryrji0.jpg
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 655
    Kananga wrote:
    Got mine!

2ryrji0.jpg

where did you get yours, if you dont mind me asking. mine was from hmv.
    Theres no point in trying to persuade the luddites that they should upgrade if they dont want to. I bet they were gutted when they had to trade in their VHS players and cathode ray TVs as well.

It's not that I think the DVDs are better quality, it's that I don't see the point in buying the whole boxset for £70-£100 when I already have all the films on DVD. f I only had one or two Bond films or none at all, then I'd buy this.

I'm getting the Indiana Jones boxset because I don't have The Last Crusade or Crystal Skull on DVD.

I have all the bonds on dvd. I have the steelbox edition odl one. But i still had to get this, upgprade them, and its a 50th anniversary which is cool.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,874
    Kanaga. Lucky you, mine's not even been dispatched by Amazon yet! I had an email ages ago to say they were able to get them out on the Friday for delivery on the Monday release date, but nothing yet. They better get their skates on I've earmarked Monday night for high def viewing of OHMSS!
    Kananga wrote:
    Got mine!

2ryrji0.jpg

Theres no point in trying to persuade the luddites that they should upgrade if they dont want to. I bet they were gutted when they had to trade in their VHS players and cathode ray TVs as well.

It's not that I think the DVDs are better quality, it's that I don't see the point in buying the whole boxset for £70-£100 when I already have all the films on DVD. f I only had one or two Bond films or none at all, then I'd buy this.

I'm getting the Indiana Jones boxset because I don't have The Last Crusade or Crystal Skull on DVD.

I have all the bonds on dvd. I have the steelbox edition odl one. But i still had to get this, upgprade them, and its a 50th anniversary which is cool.

HMV also :-)
    Side shot of box
    14l8gj.jpg
  • @Lancaster007

Was that amazon us or uk
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    I've cancelled my Amazon.co.uk order due to lack of Greek subtitles (or I should say lack of information about Greek subtitles) and ordered it from a Greek online store. The box set itself is only 20€ more, but has free posting which covers the difference with Amazon. It's released next Friday over here, which means I'll have it by October 1st. Can't wait!
    AussieBond wrote:
    @Lancaster007

Was that amazon us or uk

Amazon UK - I keep checking the Order page no luck yet!
  • Mine still says dispatch estimate - 24th
  • Mine is on it's way, recieved the dispatch e-mail from Amazon. I hope it arrives tomorrow!
  • Kananga wrote:
    Kananga wrote:
    Got mine!

2ryrji0.jpg

Hmm. I wonder why mind didnt come then. Was yours sent out on Wednesday. Normaly, they take at least 3 days for anything from HMV. Did you pay extra 6 pounds for express deliver?.
  • Kanaga. Lucky you, mine's not even been dispatched by Amazon yet! I had an email ages ago to say they were able to get them out on the Friday for delivery on the Monday release date, but nothing yet. They better get their skates on I've earmarked Monday night for high def viewing of OHMSS!

I canceled mine on amazon. They are pritty slow when sneding out preorders. If you preorder on play.com, they send them out normaly on a tuesday, to get here for monday. as they take 3 days from play. I always get items on saturday. but i got the 007 boxset from hmv becuase they was 20% off code for everything, hence why i got it for 74.pounds.
    AussieBond wrote:
    Mine still says dispatch estimate - 24th

Mine says 'delivery' estimate 24th!
    I think HMV may get into trouble for dispatching before the 21st. I know some companies can be very tight about release dates. Didn't someone get hauled over the coals for an early release of one of the Harry Potter books?
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 655
    well, play.com 99.9& send out preorders on a wednesday, for the next monday. I have bought tons of items, and i get them all on saturdays, instead of the following monday. its great lol

I would never trust amazon for preorders anymore, they are very slow at times.
    I don't have Bond50 yet - but have just taken delivery of the new audiobook of OHMSS as read by Sir David of Tennant. It is across a mighty 8 discs! - my other box set audio Bonds only manage 3 discs each. It lacks Thunderball and OHMSS, hence the recent purchase - will have to put TB in my basket for later purchase I think.
  • I thought YOLT and OHMSS seemed very good but with TLD there is barely any difference.
    Why is it the 60s films look the best? Apart from CR and QOS the best bluray I have seen is DN.

Is it just because they are older so the contrast is more marked whereas the 80s films werent that bad to start with so dont benefit so much from the bluray treatment?

I answered this earlier. Basically, films in the 50s and 60s generally used more expensive, higher quality film than in the 70s and 80s, so they normally turn out looking better on blu-ray.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    And also, it's hard to judge on those comparative screencaps, since they are so zoomed. You don't sit 3 inch from your 40"+ TV when you watch a film.

• For those of you that have already received it, is there any "unreleased" skyfall
    video blog ?
    Kananga wrote:
    Kananga wrote:
    Got mine!

2ryrji0.jpg

Hmm. I wonder why mind didnt come then. Was yours sent out on Wednesday. Normaly, they take at least 3 days for anything from HMV. Did you pay extra 6 pounds for express deliver?.

Hi, postage was free of charge.
    The Blu-Ray menus are the same as the UE 2006 dvd's and the first releases of blu-rays. the bonus disc menu is the same but with a gold effect and nothing really special on it, no unseen blogs and it's full of stuff from the films (it has all 22 opening title credits...A bit pointless i think) and has a reserved space for Skyfall 'This space is reserved for Skyfall. In cinemas autumn 2012 Look out for it on blu-ray and dvd in 2013. for placement purposes only. this is not an actual dvd or blu ray :D

Being bond only has new interviews with Daniel no other 007 actor.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Kananga wrote:
    The Blu-Ray menus are the same as the UE 2006 dvd's and the first releases of blu-rays.

You mean like this?

Now that's a bit depressing... Couldn't they make new menu screens? It's the 50th anniversary for God's sake...
    gt007 wrote:
    Kananga wrote:
    The Blu-Ray menus are the same as the UE 2006 dvd's and the first releases of blu-rays.

You mean like this?

Now that's a bit depressing... Couldn't they make new menu screens? It's the 50th anniversary for God's sake...

Yep. sames one only the bonus Blu-Ray has a Gold tint effect to it all.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I really like the menu screens. Not everything has to be new people. It is the films that are important, after all.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2012 Posts: 9,117
    Kananga wrote:
    ...has a reserved space for Skyfall 'This space is reserved for Skyfall. In cinemas autumn 2012 Look out for it on blu-ray and dvd in 2013. for placement purposes only. this is not an actual dvd or blu ray :D

Phew thanks for that tip! I thought they were going to include SF on bluray in the box set - a film that they are just about to release - and therefore destroy its box office performance. I'm glad I read that before I went and wasted my money.
    Kananga wrote:
    Being bond only has new interviews with Daniel no other 007 actor.

Are you joking again here?

This is the blurb from Amazon (I've highlighted the key sentence in bold):

Being Bond (NEW)--there's only one James Bond--but he's proven too much for only one actor to play the role. In the franchise's 50-year run, six distinguished actors have taken on the part and secured a spot in cinematic history. Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig each reflect on the impact and importance of taking on such a famous role. Gain insight into what each actor brought to the character and discover how they shaped the world's most timeless secret agent.

Now if Kananga is right and Dan is the only one 'reflecting' and that passage appears anywhere on the official publicity I will be suing EON for false advertising. And I really cant see where Amazon would have got it from otherwise.

Yet another 50th slap in the face from Babs and MGW - not only do we give you a mediocre box set release of the exact same discs youve already got but on the paltry bonus disc we're offering as an inducement to buy we are going to lie about what you get.

I'm feeling such a mug having sold all my UE DVDs and Blurays I'm pretty much forced to buy this even though I dont want to.

I think I might have to treat myself to the impressive Indy collectors edition to take away the bitter taste of his pile of crap we are being served up by EON.
    The menus are quite good I think, and I couldn't see them doing new menus for the 50th as this would be an added expense and would probably push up the price per unit.
    From what i've seen on the Being bond the interviews are taken from the 'Inside' - Making of. and the footage of Timothy from 1986/7 has been stretched to widescreen and looks really nasty.

195tm0.jpg
    Just looking at the info on Amazon and TheWizard is right about all the actors being promoted as being in the featurette Being Bond. Also noticed, and hope this is wrong, that the first three films are 'letterboxed' - the original blu-rays I had the films were 'pillar boxed', being that the aspect ratio is slightly less wide than a 16:9 telly. Hope that's just amazon or whoever supplied the information thinking that any widescreen presentation is letterboxed! I want all films in the original aspect ratio, whatever it maybe.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    @Kananga, how many Skyfall videoblogs are?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Mine had a dispatch estimate of Thursday and then I thought I'd change it to paid rather than super saver and I shouldn't of bothered because it's just sitting there with a delivery estimate of Monday.

It appears by paying for it to be dispatched I would be getting this quicker but no I won't, not paying again I'll go with the free dispatch. I questioned one of their staff via a live chat on the site and they told me they are not allowed to release things before their release date, well we all know that is bollocks because I've had products from Amazon at the weekend when they've been a new release on the following Monday.

I remember pre ordering The Smiths Vinyl set last year at £120 and it was only just before it was to be dispatched that I received an email saying it was O/S. I suppose the fact they don't take payment from you until they dispatch is OK but something like Bond 50 I want on release day or maybe earlier, now I can see this not even turning up Monday.