Roger Moore claims ex-wives bashed him

QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
edited September 2012 in News Posts: 13,924
James Bond star Sir Roger Moore claims he was the victim of domestic abuse by two of his former wives.

Moore, who married four times, said his first wife physically attacked him regularly while his second wife turned on him after twigging that he had been unfaithful.

The 84-year-old claimed his first wife ice-skater Doorn van Steyn left him with scars and once threw a teapot at him.

"She would scratch me," the 84-year-old said in an episode of Piers Morgan’s ITV show Life Stories that has not yet been aired.

"My mother was always petrified when I went home to see that I had more scars," he said.

Moore divorced van Steyn in 1953 and married his second wife singer Dorothy Squires the same year.

But the actor said he soon found out Squires had "a great temper" and she once broke a guitar over his head.

"She was ranting on about something and I wasn't taking any notice," he said.

“Next thing I know I could feel the guitar coming out of my hands and see it up above my head and 'bash!' it came down."

The actor said Squires, who was 13 years older than him, threw a brick through his window after finding out he was having an affair with a young Italian actress.

"She reached through the glass and grabbed my shirt and she cut her arms doing it," he said.

"The police came and they said, 'Madam, you're bleeding' and she said, 'It's my heart that's bleeding'."

Moore played James Bond seven times between 1973 and 1985.

Article source: The Sun
Author: Alys Francis. News editor: Nick Pearson.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4533484/James-Bond-legend-Roger-Moore-reveals-he-suffered-domestic-violence-at-the-hands-of-TWO-ex-wives.html
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/8531864/roger-moore-claims-ex-wives-bashed-him

Comments

• Poof.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 774
    Poof.

I go to the gym 5 times a week, I weigh 80kgs; but today I lost an arm wrestle to a woman literally half my own weight. Highly embarrassing.

Don't let their feminine charms fool you. Woman are tougher and stronger than they look.

I have great empathy for Sir Roger at this time. I know how you feel, Sir Rog :(
    Why didn't he write this in his autobiography.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Poof.

:))
    Poof.

Using such a term is homophobic.

Not cool.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    How is it Roger manages to make some of the most serious inflictions he's endured abd make it sound so entertainingly funny. I don't condone violence towards your fellow person but it does sound somewhat funny, especially the guitar attack. Poor guy.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    How is it Roger manages to make some of the most serious inflictions he's endured abd make it sound so entertainingly funny. I don't condone violence towards your fellow person but it does sound somewhat funny, especially the guitar attack. Poor guy.

I guess it's all in the telling. If most guys said "Oh, my wife found out I was cheating on her and she attacked me" we'd think they were an a-hole. But with him we go "Oh, that *Roger*!" ;-)

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Yes, he's a character alright.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    This programme should make an interesting watch on Friday!
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 2,782
    actonsteve wrote:
    Poof.

Using such a term is homophobic.

Not cool.

Come on Steve my openly gay cameraman - calls me a poof every time I can't lift a bit of kit. In fact his partner calls me a poof for being married to a woman...

We're all friends here...and in the context of Roger's misfortune it was ok Steve, really it was ok.

In fact domestic violence against men by their partners is on the rise, and I admire Roger for not fighting back, that takes real guts but he's still a poof for staying with her so long.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I told my grandad that Rog was going to appear on Pierce Morgan's show this Friday:

His response...

"God, why would he prostitute himself to that man? He must be out of money"

:)) :))
    [

Come on Steve my openly gay cameraman - calls me a poof every time I can't lift a bit of kit. In fact his partner calls me a poof for being married to a woman...

We're all friends here...and in the context of Roger's misfortune it was ok Steve, really it was ok.

In fact domestic violence against men by their partners is on the rise, and I admire Roger for not fighting back, that takes real guts but he's still a poof for staying with her so long.

Just because "your cameraman" uses such a word doesn't mean its OK. It derogatory slang.

Your using it in an offensive way. That anyone who shows weakness is a poof ie a gay man. Your using it as a put down. As if he has done something wrong.

Sorry,but when I see such homophobic language bandied around so casually I have to say something.And the "my gay friends do it too" doesn't wash with me.

I don't know your age group or context but such language ain't cool with me.

• actonsteve wrote:
    [

Just because "your cameraman" uses such a word doesn't mean its OK. It derogatory slang.

Your using it in an offensive way. That anyone who shows weakness is a poof ie a gay man. Your using it as a put down. As if he has done something wrong.

Sorry,but when I see such homophobic language bandied around so casually I have to say something.And the "my gay friends do it too" doesn't wash with me.

I don't care if it doesn't wash with you, i don't care that ain't cool with you. My age has nothing to do it. In my world the real world we know the difference from being offensive and tongue in cheek. That's the real world. I'm comfortable and really happy with my own disposition and how I view and talk to my fellow human beings.

My world is eclectic, I meet and talk to people from all over the world every day. Their personal beliefs and their private lives I don't pass judgement on at all. It's their life and how they live it is up to them.

I find your patronising manner both ill viewed, nauseous and out-dated. I suggest keeping off the PC button and join the real world.

'Doesn't wash with me' indeed. Who are you to say that to anyone; god or a queen?

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    doubleoego wrote:

I guess it's all in the telling. If most guys said "Oh, my wife found out I was cheating on her and she attacked me" we'd think they were an a-hole. But with him we go "Oh, that *Roger*!" ;-)

:)) That's actually about what I thought! :))
    My respect for Sir Roger has just increased as my respect for Connery plummets. I'd rather admit being a male victim of spousal abuse than, in Connery's case,thann allegedly advocating domestic violence.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 4,813
    QBranch wrote:
    WOW, is that a current picture of Rog? He looks fantastic!!
    001 wrote:
    Why didn't he write this in his autobiography.
    He did mention at least one time he cheated, but nothing about these beatings-- wow that's so surprising!
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,924
    WOW, is that a current picture of Rog? He looks fantastic!!
    Agreed. In fact, Sir Rog could return for Bond26 ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    From inferior to superior:

bugs < pets < people < Roger Moore

These women were nuts. You don't try to harm a god.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,924
    ARE YOU A GOD?
    gozer_mid.jpg
    arts-graphics-film_1189757a.jpg
    Do you know what? More power to him for openly talking about this. Domestic violence is not just about women, but men too, and sadly i am sure? children as well so he should not be mocked on a subject such as this.
  • This was pretty sad to read. Part of me respects Roger for his restraint, but the bigger part of me doesn't respect anyone willing to be bullied like that. Personally, I would have never put up with it. A couple of times I had women who I thought might go that way. I told them flat out, I'll never beat you but if you ever raise a hand to me I'll make sure you don't have use of it for quite some time. Thankfully, no one ever did. Some may not respect that I would do that, but a bully is a bully no matter what their sex and there's only one sure fire way to deal with one where I come from.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 115
    He did mention at least one time he cheated, but nothing about these beatings-- wow that's so surprising!

I can see why he cheated. Probably a way to stay away from his psycho ex.
    Poof.

If men had to go through childbirth the human species would be extinct, I wager.

Women can be more powerfull and vicious as men can be, we do not have the sole market for domestic violence even if we a leader in that market.

• edited September 2012 Posts: 4,813
    I can see why he cheated. Probably a way to stay away from his psycho ex.
    A good point! I have to admit, when I read that in his book a few years ago, I initially thought 'Oh Roger, I thought you were better than that....' but now it does make sense!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Well, what this story shows is that things like this happen where they are least expected. Domestic violence is an ugly thing no matter who is the aggressor. It is quite courageous of him to tell this story now but not surprising, it's the Sir Roger we love and respect so much.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    actonsteve wrote:
    [

I don't care if it doesn't wash with you, i don't care that ain't cool with you. My age has nothing to do it. In my world the real world we know the difference from being offensive and tongue in cheek. That's the real world. I'm comfortable and really happy with my own disposition and how I view and talk to my fellow human beings.

My world is eclectic, I meet and talk to people from all over the world every day. Their personal beliefs and their private lives I don't pass judgement on at all. It's their life and how they live it is up to them.

I find your patronising manner both ill viewed, nauseous and out-dated. I suggest keeping off the PC button and join the real world.

'Doesn't wash with me' indeed. Who are you to say that to anyone; god or a queen?

Wow, I had no idea the "real world" was a day care center. Oh, don't forget to put the cap on your milk. You don't want to spill it before bed time. :|
    I'm not surprised that Rog didn't want to physically hurt either of his 2 ex-wives. I recall Rog saying that in the movie, "The Man With The Golden Gun", he didn't like having to twist Maud Adam's arm in the hotel room. Rog is a gentleman. He probably still holds the door open, moves the chair, etc for his wife.
  • The Piers Morgan show is on ITV tonight folks, 9pm for those of us in the UK.

I'll watch it of course, it's just a shame I'll have to sit and listen to that detestable oxygen thief while trying to enjoy Sir Rog....
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ellis wrote:
    I'm not surprised that Rog didn't want to physically hurt either of his 2 ex-wives. I recall Rog saying that in the movie, "The Man With The Golden Gun", he didn't like having to twist Maud Adam's arm in the hotel room. Rog is a gentleman. He probably still holds the door open, moves the chair, etc for his wife.

I don't see Moore as the wife beating type either. Personally, I find it hard to understand what caused these women to malfunction in such a way that they wanted to physically hurt Roger Moore...