From Russia With Love Appreciation

X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
edited September 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,635
I watched FRWL yesterday at night, and i thought it was an amazing movie. I noticed that, in this movie, what it lacked in action it had compensated in story. A great story. It could have not so many action like GE, or TSWLM, But it is a great movie. In my own "analysis", just like TWINE, FRWL was more based on the Ian Fleming's book, not to make a complete action movie like the nowadays Bonds. (Just saying, because more action ain't exactly a problem.)

Connery acted very well imo, and i got some laughs with his quotes and scenes too. My favourite was the Lektor's description being sent to M's office. One of the best scenes i've seen and that probably will be on the list after i see all Bond movies.

And then, now i may understand why there are some people on the MI6 Community that hates the FRWL game. I played it before seeing the movie, and i really am disappointed with EA. The game has invented plots and even mixed the story out, and now actually i don't like that game so much at all. The movie is a classic, shouldn't be changed as they did back at 2005.

Now may i see Dr No. Maybe this week i'll see it, i'm having a good free time.

Tell your compliments for this great film.

Mods, i needed to create this new thread because the old FRWL one is not bumping for some reason.

Comments

Here's one created by the mods..

*cough cough* Under Fan Creations -> Reviews.
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3462/from-russia-with-love-1963#Item_2

Right there on the right hand side.. yep.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
    As if such a great film wouldn't already have its own thread. ;)
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Oh... Sorry.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,907
    The thread title should be renamed 'From Russia With Love Love' :P as I feel 'appreciation' is a bit of an understatement for such a classic film. It's been sitting in the number 1 spot on my list since I first discovered Bond 18 years ago.
    So glad you've finally got round to seeing a proper Bond film, @X3MSonicX. ;))
    still my favorite, and IMO the closet it ever got to what Mr Flemming would of wanted to be adapted from his books.

it has a fantastic feel to it. when i watch it i think how it is years ahead of it's time.

there was no corners cut with FRWL and a fantastic cast as well.

You can see why people have been extolling its virtues now?

Now make another step and read the novel. Its just as good as the film.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:

I must admit, while I love the novel, I actually think the film is better. Klebb's "lesbian-ism" isn't shoved down your throat in a laughable manner (Fleming couldn't really be subtle to save his life) and the showdown between Bond and Grant plays out in a more believable way.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

I must admit, while I love the novel, I actually think the film is better. Klebb's "lesbian-ism" isn't shoved down your throat in a laughable manner (Fleming couldn't really be subtle to save his life) and the showdown between Bond and Grant plays out in a more believable way.

Respectfully disagree. The novel has the best opening ie setting up the decision to kill Bond by introducing Grant, Klebb, Kronsteen and even General G in the series. Their backgrounds are beautifully described as is Kerims and the geopolitics of the whole area described by Fleming is fascinating.

I am wary of the term "shoving in someones face" as it connotates them forcing you to acknowledge something you don't want too. Very wary.

• edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

Respectfully disagree. The novel has the best opening ie setting up the decision to kill Bond by introducing Grant, Klebb, Kronsteen and even General G in the series. Their backgrounds are beautifully described as is Kerims and the geopolitics of the whole area described by Fleming is fascinating.

I am wary of the term "shoving in someones face" as it connotates them forcing you to acknowledge something you don't want too. Very wary.

I really like the novel, don't get me wrong and, yes, I agree that the office in which the meeting is held is beautifully described. I like the way they go through Bond's file and make references to the previous adventures. I just think that, as a whole, the film doesn't feel quite as dated and seems a bit more "timeless" if that makes sense. That might have something to do with the change of SMERSH to SPECTRE.

I didn't mean to sound offensive when I said "shoving it in someone's face". All I meant was that Klebb's sexual preference was hinted at in the film which IMO was more effective. This could be down to Lenya's teriffic portrayal. I remember my jaw dropping when I read the equivilent passage in the book.

I've also had trouble accepting the whole "putting the cigarette case to the chest" scenerio. Ok it's not as over-the-top as some of the stuff in the later films but it's still fairly improbable. To me the way Bond tricks Grant in the film just seems a bit more believable.

Also the book doesn't have the stuff on Siamese fighting fish, which is probably one of my favourite scenes in the film.

FRWL is a great book (I've read it twice in the last four years) but I think its one of the few occasions I prefer the film slightly.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Always has been my favourite Bond since first seeing it on TV in 1976 (I think, May of that year - Dr No had premiered Oct '75). This and OHMSS get closest to Fleming and I never tire of watching it. Also one of my favourite books, have just recently finished it and am half-way through Dr No!
    Long live FRWL - the best of the best.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    bondsum wrote:
    So glad you've finally got round to seeing a proper Bond film, @X3MSonicX. ;))

Thanks. Yeah, i've been searching to do that, i'll need to see more Bond movies. And i'm loving doing that.
    actonsteve wrote:

I'd read the novel if: 1 - they were sold in Brazil. 2 - if i had money to do that. :/ (yeah i'm still not working, focused on the studies first.)
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Here's one created by the mods..

*cough cough* Under Fan Creations -> Reviews.
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3462/from-russia-with-love-1963#Item_2

Right there on the right hand side.. yep.

Just so it's fresh in everyone's minds.
  • That's a review thread though, not an appreciation thread. We have appreciation threads for other films still open even though the reviews section is there.

I really like FRWL. I don't think it's Connerys best film because I prefer TB, but it's still a great, top 10 worthy Bond film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Sonic did post in there but he said in his first post it wasn't bumping for some reason.

EDIT: Yep I just tried, doesn't bump.
    Hey there.
    This is my favorite Bond movie for so many reasons. Best henchman,(Shaw) best bond girl, best Bond(Sean), beautiful locations, gadgets, fights, 'that' train trip, it has the lot. Still unmatched for me. I just voted it my favorite on Facebooks poll. Love it.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 299
    From Russia With Love has the distinction of being one of the rare examples in the series where the film transcends the genre. And that is perhaps its greatest strength. Even though it is obviously a Bond movie, unlike most of the others, if you watch it and know nothing about Bond, it is just as enjoyable as a well-made, taut espionage thriller. You can't really say that about most of the others I'm afraid.

But this one does just about everything right. Even the quips and one-liners seem less forced here and more in character. It also helps that it has the best cast of the entire series (SkyFall may arguably be an alternative), and everyone is perfect in their respective roles. Add to that one of the best stories and a pretty flawless execution... what more do you need? This is the real deal Bond!
  • If the above link doesn't work, then why not go with the one from the second response i.e. created by Admin and for fan reviews with the year (1963) supplied. There are already about three or four Russia threads knocking about the pages I know of

In any event, From Russia With Love, could be the most serious entry of the entire series, always something I appreciate in James Bond. No Tarzan yells, double taking pigeons, crocodile disguises, sailing over San Francisco on the end of a mooring rope etc etc, just a very good Bond at what could be an ideal age, putting on a superlative performance. It does get a bit dull here and there maybe, but the strength of characters more than componsates. It is a release familiar with young and old, and even those who aren't that familiar with the James Bond series. For a serious, no nonsense Bond adventure you won't find one better. A polar opposite of say A View to a Kill or Moonraker in that respect
  • DB5DB5
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

I'm afraid I have

I really like the novel, don't get me wrong and, yes, I agree that the office in which the meeting is held is beautifully described. I like the way they go through Bond's file and make references to the previous adventures. I just think that, as a whole, the film doesn't feel quite as dated and seems a bit more "timeless" if that makes sense. That might have something to do with the change of SMERSH to SPECTRE.

I didn't mean to sound offensive when I said "shoving it in someone's face". All I meant was that Klebb's sexual preference was hinted at in the film which IMO was more effective. This could be down to Lenya's teriffic portrayal. I remember my jaw dropping when I read the equivilent passage in the book.

I've also had trouble accepting the whole "putting the cigarette case to the chest" scenerio. Ok it's not as over-the-top as some of the stuff in the later films but it's still fairly improbable. To me the way Bond tricks Grant in the film just seems a bit more believable.

Also the book doesn't have the stuff on Siamese fighting fish, which is probably one of my favourite scenes in the film.

FRWL is a great book (I've read it twice in the last four years) but I think its one of the few occasions I prefer the film slightly.

Totally agree with you Bain. I really like the novel, one of my favorites. You really get a much better sense in the novel of exactly how evil Grant is, and what makes him tick. And I like the way Fleming did something different, with the first half of the book simply being "The Plan." That said, the movie is better. The attache case, the helicopter, the boat battle. But most of all, as has been stated, the way that Bond escapes from Grant on the train is FAR more believable in the film than in the novel!
  • DB5DB5
    Always has been my favourite Bond since first seeing it on TV in 1976 (I think, May of that year - Dr No had premiered Oct '75). This and OHMSS get closest to Fleming and I never tire of watching it. Also one of my favourite books, have just recently finished it and am half-way through Dr No!
    Long live FRWL - the best of the best.

Well I don't know about the UK, but Dr. No was shown on network tv in the US for the first time on Sunday November 3, 1974. I know this for a fact because I had come home from college for the weekend and actually left the following Monday morning so that I could watch it!

The best Bonds in the series emphasize story rather than spectacle. No big set pieces here, but a great story in which Bond's relationship with a woman is better developed here than in most films. Which is why I like OHMSS and CR so much.
    CrabKey wrote:
    The best Bonds in the series emphasize story rather than spectacle. No big set pieces here, but a great story in which Bond's relationship with a woman is better developed here than in most films. Which is why I like OHMSS and CR so much.
    Actually, I find Bond and Tatiana's so called relationship to be one of the weakest parts of the film.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,817
    CrabKey wrote:
    Actually, I find Bond and Tatiana's so called relationship to be one of the weakest parts of the film.

It's not a deep relationship like with Vesper or Tracy... but in the Bond tradition of casual relationships it's very good in my opinion. They have chemestry, very funny together, and kulturny.
  • It wasn't even a deep relationship with Lynd I always found, seemed a bit rushed, and even the Rigg love story seemed a bit forced sometimes. Yes there was a certain level of chemistry evident, as with Bond and Romanova, they worked well together, even though I found the Bianchi character a bit bland, but this was early days in the series. The more conspicuous and shining ladies of Bond were still some way ahead, but she did work well with Bond
    Well you can't expect in a 2.5 hours action-thriller film to develop a deep romantic and emotional as in Casablanca, Rocky, Walk the Line (that's as far as I go in romantic flicks)... So in Bond context, the Vesper and Tracy relations don't seem to be rush to me.
    She was and still is the most beautiful Bond girl for my money. I think she was not the greatest Bond girl, in terms of character, but in the stunning stakes, she's top of my list.
    I though Daniela Bianchi captured Tanias innocence very well. Also the script allowed her to go from acting on Klebbs orders to falling for Bond in real life.

Also, Daniela had a kind of elegance about her (the way she used to brush her hair out of her eyes) that fitted the character.
    I gotta agree, Daniela Bianchi is one of the best Bond girls in the series. There is something very honest about her performance that seperates her from the rest and elevates her above the later Bond girls. I think her performance is spot on.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,817
    I love when she puts her hair like a moustache, she looks childlike or naive and at the same time very sexy.
    Also her laugh is beautiful. Simply one of my favorite Bond girls!