Coke back for 'Skyfall' partnership, details firmly under wraps

Comments

• RC7RC7
    edited September 2012 Posts: 10,512
    That is trippy! It's like a 60's pastiche.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    That commercial is stupid. You could have done way better, Coke.

Wasn't Daniel Craig supposed to be in the commercial? Or is it another one?
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2012 Posts: 10,512
    gt007 wrote:
    That commercial is stupid. You could have done way better, Coke.

Got to agree. It's almost like something a first year media student would come up with (conceptually). With the bonus of a decent camera crew.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    gt007 wrote:
    Wasn't Daniel Craig supposed to be in the commercial? Or is it another one?

I agree, it's a lame ad. Too boyish in my opinion. And Mr. Craig will be in the Heineken one, if I'm correct. ;-)

• gt007gt007 Station G
    And Mr. Craig will be in the Heineken one, if I'm correct. ;-)

Oh, but of course! I mixed them up. Thanks for the correction, @marketto007.

• Well, that was crap. Lets hope the Heineken one will be better.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Yep, crap is the right word. I remember the one for QoS was actually quite nice! I must have it stored in my old computer now that I think about it.
    I have to admit I like the part where he skipped the aston for a moped.

But overall it was lame. I swear I though it was Ben Wishaw (Q) for the first 30 seconds straight.
    References to Bond:

Theme
    Gunbarrel
    Red car convertable chase(in france)
    Red car convertible flying through air
    Aston martin
    Running on boats (crocodiles)
    Eyebrow raise
    and sliding under a semi (? not sure if this was in a Bond film)
    The commercial.

funny, bit that made me laugh the most was the running across the boats sequence ala LALD :))
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:

It was in Never Say Never Again I believe, and Everything or Nothing.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    That was truely dreadful. Hopefully, this is the only Bond letdown this year.
    DamnCoffee wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

It was in Never Say Never Again I believe, and Everything or Nothing.

So indeed it wasn't in a Bond film ;)
    It was lame but funny. The best part is when he tooks the bike next to the Aston.
  • Are you guys serious?
    That was actually a damn good ad.
    The Quantum one was terrible. Some silhouettes driving around and punching each other...what on earth does that have to do with Coke?
    This ad used it's James Bond licensing in a clever way, not just a wannabe title sequence with a coke bottle floating around.

Very nice indeed
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Are you guys serious?
    That was actually a damn good ad.
    The Quantum one was terrible. Some silhouettes driving around and punching each other...what on earth does that have to do with Coke?
    This ad used it's James Bond licensing in a clever way, not just a wannabe title sequence with a coke bottle floating around.

Very nice indeed

It's Grease meets Back To The Future humming James Bond. Who the flip thinks of that?
    To compare:
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 140
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Who the flip thinks of that?
    Well exactly! It stands out. It's different. And yes, it's silly and funny.
    And yeah the Quantum one is completely boring. It isn't an advert. It's a minute of a title sequence. It's terrible.

EDIT: After re-watching the Quantum one...SEE! It's just like...what? So there is a coke bottle flying around whilst two silhouettes try and chase it. I'm sorry that's just not good advertising.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 153
    Enough! All of you! A Bond-themed Coke ad should be like this:

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love the strong swallow Brosnan always seems to take when having a drink. I copy him all the time when I drink anything, it seems.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I love the strong swallow Brosnan always seems to take when having a drink. I copy him all the time when I drink anything, it seems.

And like your wrist is broken ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @JamesPage, that too. I have to rub the lips occasionally, as well. I don't know why, Brosnan doesn't know why, but you...just...do.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I must be one of the few who liked the new ad. It's silly, but then it doesn't claim not to be.
    Maybe I'm just mellowing in my old age, but I like the way it's simple and fun.
    I think, what it means is, you take a geeky guy, who wouldn't be considered much of a womans man, you give him this coke and he is capable of all sorts of things all of a sudden. Its a different angle instead of having THE man doing it. How many can rely to that?

In the other adds its - the coolness everything is there already. What does drinking a Coke adds? Nothing. It only says, that a cool man also drinks it. And how many of you are really THAT cool. Not even the actors playing Bond..

So - its a nice change to take this guy and see, what Coke does to him.

• I actually think it's really good. It's unique, a sweet idea, gives coke a purpose and has some funny little tributes. The bit with the aston was priceless!

I really like it! They dared to do something different and it turned out to be a sweet and funny add.

I am surprised by all the negative comments to be honest, but hey, different points of view are what keeps the discussions going :-)
    edited September 2012 Posts: 3,277
    So, no Skyfall theme leaked this time.
    If only I got the merchadise from coke at work rather than some office bod getting it !
    All I get is the products to put out for sale ! ~X(
  • Agree with Germanlady, for me the reason the ad works is precisely why so many people don't like it - it features a "regular guy" imagining being like Bond. To me a lot more guys relate to that in the real world than relate to watching Bond himself do something (they may relate more to that in their heads, but as I said in the real world it's different).

To be fair I would have hated this ad when I was 12. I wanted *everything* to do with Bond to be in aid of me living vicariously through him and the films and I had no patience for anything that seemed to be poking fun at my heroes (and I felt the same way if anything "made fun" of Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc).
    This commercial is really great actually.
    2jebxjm.jpg