And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Bondie: TLD (one of the very best PTS)
    Klebbie: LTK (but a great and mean introduction of the main villain)
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    There are no "true" Klebbies among the three Lazenby and Dalton PTS as all of them do a good job at setting up the film to come - as well as being exciting in their own right. That said, if I had to choose one it would be (reluctantly) LTK.

As for the Bondie: OHMSS as it introduces my favorite Bond actress. Plus you have a string of exciting fights and Barry's "This Never Happened to the Other Fella." Superb.

On-Her-Majestys-Secret-Service-0020.jpg
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I really wish Glen hadn't decided on having some slow motion running in the PTS. That scene of Leiter and the DEA agents running on the runway always makes me laugh and takes me out of the scene. I suppose it was an 80's trope to do it but boy it looks amateurish. I give it the Klebbie for that reason.

My Bondie is going to be for OHMSS I like how this PTS sets up the story to unfold. The fight here feels real and more gritty than what we got in YOLT. I could do without the screeching beach tires, but it is the golden one here for me.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Bondie: TLD
    Klebbie: OHMSS
    Flapping my wings to the main stage, this was truly a tough one and some of our academy abstained from a Klebbie vote. Truly they are all top notch PTS candidates.

The winner for best PTS in a Dalton or Lazenby Bond film is...The Living Daylights accepting the award is a Barbary Macaque.

The voting reveals that it was a two film race with TLD getting 10 votes and OHMSS fetching 5 votes. No votes for LTK being the best of this lot.

Now we shall give a kick in the shins to...Licence to Kill accepting the award for this film is one of the Hemmingway cats.

The voting reveals LTK receiving 6 votes and OHMSS receiving 5 votes. Is OHMSS the only Bond PTS to feature the main Bond lady in the PTS?

Now on to another category. Lets do a fun category with a Bondie for best under-rated performance by an actor. On paper these casting choices might have looked odd, but within the film it works.

The Bond films were known for casting some odd characters to fill out the cast lets look at a few. Which performance is an under-rated gem, or one that shouldn't work but does.

The nominees are:
    • Wayne Newton as Professor Joe Butcher from LTK Newton had often appeared as himself in films and TV shows. In this serious film his casting might have been a misstep. But surprisingly he does a good job of conveying the smarminess of a TV Evangelistic minister who is okay with being the front for a drug cartel.
    • Jimmy Dean as Willard Whyte from DAF The country music singer does a great job of bringing Willard Whyte to life. The performance is a guilty pleasure of the film. His dialogue delivery is spot on. Jimmy seems to have some nice on-screen chemistry with Connery.
    • Ricky Jay as Henry Gupta from TND a magician of some renown, Ricky plays the part of the slimy associate of Carver quite well. A shame his cards slicing the walls were deleted from the film as this would have added to the character.
    • Vincent Schiavelli as Professor Kaufman from TND this actor was an inspired casting choice and one that works in his scene with Bond in the hotel. Some have suggested it's too bad he only appeared in the one scene.
    • Robbie Coltrane as Valentin Dmitrovich Zukovsky in TWINE the producers wisely brought back Robbie for another turn as the Russian agent who had gone into business for himself. His death at the end of the film hits hard a sign of the performance and how he humanized a character that in lesser hands might have been a caricature.

Feel free to add in some write in votes as there are some I have likely overlooked. I kept our list to those who have limited screen time but make the most of what they have.

We will do a female category next.
    My head says Coltrane as Zukovsky, but my heart says Schiavelli as Kaufman…

I’ll go with my head on this occasion and say Coltrane but man it’s close for me.
  • “Willard Whyte Speaking!”
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Out of this list, I easily go for Jimmy Dean as WW.

I'd also like mention Vijay as played by Vijay Artiraj... To me he was so likeable and genuine. He had great chemistry with Moore, and I believed he was actually cracking up in a few scenes. I always enjoy his scenes, and I always feel his death.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Obviously, the best casting choices were Peter Cushing, Elke Sommer and Victor Buono.

Oh, wait. These people were never cast in a Bond film! Shame.
    Is OHMSS the only Bond PTS to feature the main Bond lady in the PTS?

No. Anya Amasova appears in the PTS of TSWLM, and Madeleine Swann appears in the PTS for NTTD.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited April 24 Posts: 5,985
    peter wrote: »
    Out of this list, I easily go for Jimmy Dean as WW.

I'd also like mention Vijay as played by Vijay Artiraj... To me he was so likeable and genuine. He had great chemistry with Moore, and I believed he was actually cracking up in a few scenes. I always enjoy his scenes, and I always feel his death.

+1, for a non-actor he was better than a lot of the sacrificial lambs. I don't know if OP was an easy or difficult shoot but that cast really seemed to get along.
  • edited April 24 Posts: 6,825
    Jimmy Dean as WW "BAAAAAAHAAAA?!!"
    Gerard wrote: »
    Is OHMSS the only Bond PTS to feature the main Bond lady in the PTS?

No. Anya Amasova appears in the PTS of TSWLM, and Madeleine Swann appears in the PTS for NTTD.

Of course, I have tried to purge NTTD from my memory. LOL! Not sure why I didn't think about Spy.
    Oh, yes, almost forgot : if we count secondary Bond Girls, Andrea Anders appears in the PTS for TMWTGG.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Solitaire and Kananga appear very briefly in the PTS’ UN segment.
    And lastly, Lupe in LTK PTS.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Jimmy Dean. He was convincing. His dialogue is memorable and voice easy to re-enact.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Bondie goes to Wayne Newton for me. Just my opinion, but hard to compare non-actors/entertainment performers like Jimmy Dean and Wayne Newton to trained actors like Schiavelli and Coltrane (the latter two I'd say performance did work but should have worked in the first place).
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    For the ones who have been nominated I'll vote for Jimmy Dean as Willard Whyte.
    However, I'd vote for Vijay Amritraj if he was on the list. Great character and chemistry for a non actor.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Doctor Kaufman. Great guy.
    I like Vijay Artiraj but there were too many tennis jokes.

At least Jimmy Dean and Wayne Newton didn't sing.

edited April 25 Posts: 13,972
    Kaufman would make up for any underratedness in the following video game by throwing Predator-like shurikens at Bond! The Doc was a boss.
  • SeanoSeano Minnesota. No, it's not always cold.
    I'll take Newton out of this list. Delightfully slimy and smarmy and used in just the right amount.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I absolutely love Coltrane as Zukovsky. But I'll stick to the non-actors and give it to:
    Wayne Newton as Professor Joe Butcher from LTK
    edited April 28 Posts: 4,989
    Time for the award to be handed out for our Bondie.

The Bondie for under-rated performance goes to Jimmy Dean as Willard Whyte in DAF! Jimmy is currently in BAAAAHAAAA and can't accept his award.

Now lets flip the script to the female side and see which actress delivered an under-rated performance.

These actresses either hadn't appeared in a major film or were better known for other talents beyond acting. Lets see who we think deserves a Bondie for their performance:
    • Lotta Lenya as Rosa Klebb in From Russia With Love known more for her singing career the producers cast her as the primary villain in From Russia With Love. She was able to deliver one of the most memorable performances in the series.
    • Ursula Andress as Honey Ryder in Doctor No believe it or not, Ursula wasn't known as an actress when she appeared in Doctor No. She was the striking figure that struck the right amount of sexuality with vulnerability.
    • Olga Kurylenko as Camille in Quantum of Solace Olga had a starring role in QOS and it was one of her biggest roles in her early career. Olga delivers a multi-layered performance and is one of the highlights of the film.
    • [/b]Claudine Auger as Domino Derval in Thunderball[/b]Claudine had acted in some French and Italian films, but Thunderball was her first big break. A beauty with grace, Claudine holds her own with Connery on screen. They share great chemistry.
    • Bérénice Marlohe as Severine in Skyfall Berenice delivers a haunting performance and makes the most of her limited screen time. She is a beauty, but her performance hints at the dark backstory of her character and holds her own on the screen with Craig.

Small note, Ursula and Claudine were dubbed for their performances.

Feel free to write in someone that I missed.

Which one is the best under-rated performance for a female?
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Definitely Claudine.
    I'm gonna go with Olga, she isn't talked about as much as the others perhaps, and other than dialogue, did quite a bit of hands-on stuff with the fighting, weaponry, driving etc.
    Olga Kurylenko as Camille
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    MADONNA!!! :D [ducks and runs]

No, but seriously: Olga Kurylenko, given how the question is worded. Though if we strictly thought of best performance by those candidates, it would have to be Lotte Lenya.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited April 28 Posts: 3,392
    Lotte Lenya, she definitely got the menacing and intimidating aspect of the character, she nailed the character in spades! Not even close with others, Lotte Lenya is the best of the bunch here, the way she calculated things she acted so intelligent and very believable in the role, a great character acted by a great actress.

I can see the others being acted by other (or maybe even better actresses) in those Bond Girl roles, but with Lotte Lenya, it's hard to imagine any other actresses owning the role like she did, she's irreplaceable in the role, so because of that, she's an inspired casting choice, an underrated performance, especially, when it's always Robert Shaw whose always being looked at as the one who delivers a perfect performance, but Lotte Lenya also brought a great performance, she's perfect in the role, that the other candidates doesn't, and doesn't even come close.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’ve never seen Lenya’s performance as underrated.

She and Shaw, combined, and apart, have always shared a major reason why FRWL is a brilliant Bond film.

I also think Marlohe has been nearly universally praised, at least on this site, for her performance as Severine.

So, I’ll vote Olga. I thought she was incredibly strong, and, as others have pointed out, rarely gets discussed.