And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    OP for the bondie, love it, short, thrilling, and done with bravado. I also could have gone with MR!
    TSWLM for the klebbie, a shocker, yes I know, but apart from the sublime ski jump, the rest is a borefest?

I agree with this completely. Bondie to OP, Klebbie to TSWLM.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Love MR. The best stunt in the series.

AVTAK is the worst.
  • The Freefall music from Moonraker I think takes it above Bond 77 and TSWLM. AVTAK is the worst, but also has great music until the Beach Boys
    Bondie : TSWLM

Klebbie : AVTAK
    MR for the Bondie. I never saw TSWLM on it's release so I heard a lot about the ski jump, but I sure saw MR and the freefall was just about the coolest stunt I'd seen to that point.

AVTAK for the Klebbie. As the film is near the bottom of my list, this just fits. When I first saw it in the cinema, I could've sworn when the Beach Boys cover came on that the soundtrack from the film showing in the next auditorium somehow leaked into AVTAK's. Sadly, it wouldn't be the only low point to come.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited April 21 Posts: 4,398
    Bondie: TSWLM
    I love the PTS formula in TSWLM and MR. MR is a very good copy of the TSWLM PTS and the beginning is even better. But the ski action isvawesome and the jump absolutely stunning. The last few seconds before the MR titles are a bad tonal shift (as it happens more often later in the film).

Klebbie: OP
    It isn't bad at all ( only the DAF PTS is bad, imo) but it somehow never amazed me as much as it should. AVTAK only wins by an inch because I prefer the stuntwork and the Barry soundtrack there.

Does someone know if the Bondgirl in the OP PTS really was only 17 years old? I read this several times but she doesn't look that young at all and I still don't believe it.
  • edited April 21 Posts: 5,818
    Well, according to the production notes (which I happen to own), Tina Hudson was in fact 18 at the time the movie was released. But rumour has it that she hadn't gotten her driving license yet.

Here's a link to an article about the production of OP which gives the anecdote :

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/octopussy-seven-production-history-stories?id=05209
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Thanks @Gerard . She is definitely a highlight of the PTS.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well I must say I’m loving all the votes for OP :D

Bondie - OP, a great mini movie.

Klebbie - AVTAK, despite some nifty stunt work, let down by a musical gag.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Well, I'll be the odd one here and actually write-in both my Bondie as well as my Klebbie.

I love TMWTGG, it's the perfect set-up for Scaramanga, his funhouse, his golden gun, Nick Nack and Andrea. It's moody and creative and I adore it.

I also want to write-in LALD, while I don't dislike it and it's not conceptually bad, it's by far my least favourite and since I at least love, though certainly like all the other ones, I have to write this one in as my Klebbie.

One final thought, is Rodney the only character in the Moore era who uses a silencer?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    One final thought, is Rodney the only character in the Moore era who uses a silencer?
    Interesting question. I believe the men chasing Bond on skis in TSWLM PTS have silencers on their rifles, but I may have to double-check that.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    MR- Bondie
    FYEO- Klebbie
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Wow very interesting voting in this category. We have a clear Klebbie but the Bondie is a more heated battle. Shall we see if others wade in?

Goes to show that the Moore era seemed to get the PTS just right. I find it odd that both LALD and TMWTGG didn't give us a Bond centric PTS. Though Gun has a great set up of Scaramanga within it.
    Bondie: TSWLM; runner up: OP
    Klebbie: MR

I like the AVTAK PTS a lot: snow action, Soviet threat, new location, great range of Q equipment. The comparisons to GF continue with Bond's mini square backpack, and just like when Bond reveals the tux beneath a wetsuit, here he pulls an unbroken bottle of vodka out of said backpack, after swinging it around in every direction on the snowmobile and then leaping across iceberg stepping stones.
    QBranch wrote: »

I like the AVTAK PTS a lot: snow action, Soviet threat, new location, great range of Q equipment. The comparisons to GF continue with Bond's mini square backpack, and just like when Bond reveals the tux beneath a wetsuit, here he pulls an unbroken bottle of vodka out of said backpack, after swinging it around in every direction on the snowmobile and then leaping across iceberg stepping stones.

Well he does like it shaken, not.......ok, I'll get me coat!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »

Well he does like it shaken, not.......ok, I'll get me coat!
    "Perfect."
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Bondie: TSWLM
    Klebbie: AVTAK. Not that bad actually (minus the cringy "California Girls" insertion), but still a step below the others.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    And with that the voting for Best PTS in a Moore film comes to an end. The winner of best PTS of a Roger Moore film is The Spy Who Loved Me. It received 6 votes. Moonraker and Octopussy both received 5 votes. Also a write in vote for TMWTGG.

On to the Klebbie, the worst PTS in a Moore film goes to A View to a Kill it received 10 votes. All PTS that feature Moore also received at least one vote. Spy and Ees received 2 votes each. Octopussy, MR and LALD all received one vote each.

Lets wrap it up with our final battle Dalton and Lazenby vie for the best and worst. Only 3 nominees in this category. 2 of the nominees introduce a new Bond to viewers. Lets see who reigns supreme.

The nominees are:
    • On Her Majesty's Secret Service this never happened to the other fella. Bond left abandoned on a beach while the girl drives away screeching tyres in the sand.
    • The Living Daylights hang on you're dead! Audiences weren't dead but thrilled by the danger that was back with a new Bond.
    • Licence to Kill if they hurry they just might get the bastard. Bond goes fishing and reels in the villain of the movie.

So which one deserves some love and which one gets a kick to the shins?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Oh, picking a Klebbie for this one is very tough. All three are very strong openers.

The Living Daylights gets my vote for the Bondie, anyway.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Easy.

TLD-Bondie
    LTK- Klebbie
  • edited April 23 Posts: 2,952
    Bondie goes to TLD for me. It just hits the right notes for a PTS and as an introduction to a new Bond.

Klebbie goes to OHMSS. The cinematography and choreography are very good, but it’s a bit clunky at the beginning, both pacing and script wise (Q is waffling on about some sort of lint for little reason which leads into this rather forced ‘where’s 007’ segway). Lazenby unfortunately isn’t given anything too special to introduce him, and he gets a clunker of a line at the end which he can’t quite deliver well, and only makes you think of his predecessor (a major no-no for a new Bond). Even the shots of his hands/lighting the cigarette seem to harken back to Connery’s introduction, and the biggest sins this PTS commits is it doesn’t make you forget about the previous Bond, and it doesn’t succeed in giving the new one his own identity. It’s not a bad opening necessarily, but I think it shows the importance of carefully considering how to introduce a new Bond. The series really hadn’t quite perfected it yet.
    It"s the only Q scene before the wedding. I think they needed to introduce the character.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm of the camp that TLD is not only a great PTS (my favourite), but an exciting way of introducing our new 007.

The Klebbie goes to OHMSS, for the reasons @007HallY already stated... It's the pacing and flow which hinders it, and then once Bond is revealed, Lazenby didn't have the strongest delivery of the signature line, IMO...
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Three quality pts's, love all of them.

For the Bondie, I'll vote for TLD.

For the Klebbie, I honestly cannot choose since I consider all three of them to be in the top 10, or at least in the top half, of the entire franchise. Can I vote for CR67? :))
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    TLD - Bondie
    OHMSS - Klebbie
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Three quality pts's, love all of them.

For the Bondie, I'll vote for TLD.

For the Klebbie, I honestly cannot choose since I consider all three of them to be in the top 10, or at least in the top half, of the entire franchise. Can I vote for CR67? :))

I'm with you @GoldenGun
    Three great pts, TLD for Bondie, but the other two are excellent, so opting out of klebbie!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    OHMSS
    LTK
  • Bondie: TLD
    Klebbie: OHMSS
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    OHMSS
    LTK

+1
  • I’m gonna go with OHMSS for the Bondie, because I absolutely love and adore “This Never Happened To The Other Fella” as a musical track. Can’t give any of these choices a Klebbie however.