And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    NTTD. The music is great. However, Billie just whispers. At least Smith/White/Keys tried
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    NTTD. The music is great. However, Billie just whispers. At least Smith/White/Keys tried

Exactly. Also, I'm sure some remixes of this song sound better than the original.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Thanks for the votes for the tiebreaker! Lets see who takes home the Klebbie for worst theme song of the Craig films.

The Klebbie goes to The Writing's On the Wall from Spectre it pulled away in the tie break with 8 votes.

Surprisingly No Time To Die from No Time To Die, garnered 5 votes in the tie break. Another Way to Die from Quantum of Solace received 4 votes in the tie breaker.

That was rather fun so lets do the same for the Connery films! Give me your Bondie for Best Theme Song and Worst Theme Song. The nominees are:
    • From Russia With Love from From Russia With Love a crooner Matt Munro certainly didn't do anything groundbreaking but it is a serviceable song and is used by Barry within the soundtrack.
    • Goldfinger from Goldfinger Dame Shirley Bassey throws down a great track here and defines the "Bond sound" for future songs to be judged.
    • Thunderball from Thunderball Tom Jones delivers a ballsy, bold song with a lyric that makes no sense, but it doesn't matter as Tom sings with conviction.
    • You Only Live Twice from You Only Live Twice sure they had to splice different vocals to get the finished song but what a beauty of a song. Barry features this song within his beautiful score.
    • Diamonds are Forever from Diamonds Are Forever Harry didn't much care for this song calling it vulgar. However Bassey does a wonderful job delivering the cheeky lyrics. A fan favourite to be sure.

Dear academy members, time for you to select the best and worst from this group of songs from the Connery era. To my ear and mind they are all pretty good songs so settling on the worst might cause some challenges, but lets see how the academy feels.
  • Bondie: You Only Live Twice. Beautiful song and John Barry's use of it (and a precursor to the OHMSS theme) throughout the film makes it one of the top five Bond film scores.
    Klebbie: Thunderball does nothing for me to be completely honest
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    There is no worst Connery theme song as all of them are absolutely fantastic.
    But if I have to choose the one I listen to less often then it’s probably FRWL.
    The best is of course YOLT. Perfection on every level.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Bondie: You Only Live Twice. Quite possibly my favorite Bond song and has such amazing and lush orchestration, it really is operating on another level.

Klebbie: Sadly FRWL. Not that it is a bad song or anything but it isnt what my mind goes to when I think of a Bond song, unlike all the others, and I would likely skip it on a Bond theme playlist.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Smith tried.... infamously Sam claimed it was written in 30 mins and it was done and dusted. Writings on the Wall has a lush orchestration but the lyrics and vocal performance are really poor.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Deciding this on the songs of the Connery era is really hard. I very reluctantly vote for YOLT as the top song, over both(!) of the Shirley Bassey entries, in spite of the fact that Nancy Sinatra is really not nearly as good a singer and "Goldfinger" epitomizes not just Bond movies, but also Bond themes. The other two by male crooners are top-notch among the franchise, but don't quite stack up here. I'll give the Klebbie to TB since you can tell from the movie soundtrack that it was a marketing-oriented afterthought, replacing the originally intended theme that was "Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" - kind of like Sheryl Crow replacing k.d. lang's superior theme later - , while FRWL (though composed by Lionel Bart) is employed to great effect by John Barry. So yes: YOLT = Bondie, TB = Klebbie.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    There is no worst Connery theme song as all of them are absolutely fantastic.
    But if I have to choose the one I listen to less often then it’s probably FRWL.
    The best is of course YOLT. Perfection on every level.

I would have to agree, though the one I listen to the least would be GF...

YOLT gets my vote for the best, no doubt. Though DAF is a close second.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Give me DAF for the Bondie and FRWL for the Klebbie
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Bondie: GF. That whole film is criminally classic and iconic.

Klebbie: I have to go with TB here, I'm afraid. It's probably one of my lesser favorites of the lot - not to knock Tom Jones' powerful voice or anything, I've just never cared for this one.
    YOLT for the Bondie..FRWL for the klebbie!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The little boy in me has always been blown away by GOLDFINGER...as @Creasy47 said: it's so iconic. Big and strong, and playful and sexy. It shakes one up. Goldfinger for the Blondie...

The little boy in me gives the Klebbie to TB... I am not musically trained nor gifted, but ever since I fell in love with Goldfinger's theme song, I simultaneously accepted Tom Jones and Thunderball. It was in the same style as the previous song, but Tom Jones just didn't do it for me. A little too on the nose for me, if that's even possible.

Bassey made the diaphram-bursting notes sound effortless, Jones not so much.
    God, the songs for Connery's films are all brilliant.

I guess the worst would have to be FRWL. Nothing against it, just my least favourite of the bunch.

Best... I'm gonna go YOLT. But it's close.
    I must say that I'm a bit surprised here by the absence of my candidate for the Klebbie : Never Say Never Again. Even at the time, after having watched all of Sir Sean movies, I thought that one was underwheming at best. So, why wasn't it nominated, I'll probably never know.

As for the Bondie, well, to quote another of Sir Sean's movies, "There can be only one" : Goldfinger. A classic, and you can quote me on that.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    My Bondie goes to Goldfinger. Great. But I also like TB a lot and YOLT and DAF are also strong songs.

FRWL gets the Klebbie. Solid but definitely weaker than all other Eon Connery era songs.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Bondie goes to Diamonds Are Forever for me.

And I'll be the one guy who gives the Klebbie to Goldfinger. It's a pretty obnoxious, grating recording, and the lyric is flat out stupid. "Golden words he will pour in your ear; but his lies can't disguise what you fear"? What does this have to do with the Goldfinger character presented in the film? Nothing whatsoever.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Bondie: You Only Live Twice. I go back and forth between Goldfinger and You Only Live Twice as my favorite Connery era Bond song.

Klebbie: Thunderball.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Bondie: You Only Live Twice. Beautiful song and John Barry's use of it (and a precursor to the OHMSS theme) throughout the film makes it one of the top five Bond film scores.
    Klebbie: Thunderball does nothing for me to be completely honest

I second both of these!
    Gerard wrote: »
    I must say that I'm a bit surprised here by the absence of my candidate for the Klebbie : Never Say Never Again. Even at the time, after having watched all of Sir Sean movies, I thought that one was underwheming at best. So, why wasn't it nominated, I'll probably never know.

As for the Bondie, well, to quote another of Sir Sean's movies, "There can be only one" : Goldfinger. A classic, and you can quote me on that.

Purely selfish reasons! LOL! I wanted it to be a difficult choice for the Klebbie. I was also keeping it to the official series. Maybe we do a "un-official film best and worst song."

The Connery films had solid theme songs, difficult to throw shade on one.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Thunderball definitely takes the top spot. The song is fantastic and nobody but Tom can actually sing it properly (according to my neighbours).

Klebbie, well, the songs are all better than the Craig era save for ykmn, so it isn't much of a true klebbie, but frwl will take it for now, solely because it's probably as good as gf or dad but it has Russia and love in the same sentence, and I haven't been able to put it on for the last two years, Kerim notwithstanding.
    We have heard from the academy and we have a Bondie and a Klebbie...

The Bondie for best theme song of a Sean Connery film is You Only Live Twice from You Only Live Twice accepting the Bondie is Nancy Sinatra!

The Klebbie for worst theme song of a Sean Connery film is From Russia with Love from the film From Russia with Love accepting the award is Vladimir Putin!

Now onto the Brosnan songs. A mixed bag and not quite as strong as Connery's films.

The nominees are:
    • Goldeneye from the film Goldeneye the Goldeneye soundtrack is definitely different, but the theme song is a call back to the traditional Bond songs. Tina belts out lyrics from Edge and Bono!
    • Tomorrow Never Dies from the film Tomorrow Never Dies warbled by Sheryl Crow this song has some interesting lyrics. It fits the rest of the sound of the film. Is it worthy of a Bondie?
    • The World Is Not Enough from the film The World is Not Enough Arnold teams up with Don Black and provide an updated theme song to a different type of Bond song. Garbage does a credible job handling the lyrics.
    • Die Another Day from the film Die Another Day after years of rumours, Madonna finally lands a Bond tune! She brings the techno/disco beats to Bond. Some love it, others not so much. Will it earn a Bondie?

So dear academy members, who is taking home the Bondie and the Klebbie from the Brosnan films?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Same as those movies overall, the Bondie goes to Tina Turner. Can't help mentioning, though, that if they had kept k.d. lang's song (renamed Surrender when they relegated it to the closing titles) as the TND theme, it would have been my choice over the GE theme.

The Klebbie, for the Brosnan period and the rest of the franchise plus NSNA as well, can only go to DAD, and I should be very surprised if any other song gave it a run for that questionable honour.
    Bondie: GE

Klebbie: DAD

I have a soft spot for all four songs from Brosnan's tenure though and enjoy them for one reason or another, some more than others.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Bondie can go to either of the first three imo, but since I expect TND to struggle, I'll vote for that one.

Given the above, the Klebbie can only go to DAD, even though I like it more than most.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Goldeneye gets the Blondie, but, I actually enjoy all of the Brosnan era songs. GE comes the closest to an all out classic, the rest don't, but none, to me, are terrible. DAD, to my ear, is cheesy and silly, but still fun, so, I think based on what I just said, Crow's song, although not bad, was outdone by KD Lang's, and isn't as interesting as the other themes. It's somewhat sleepy, so I'll go with TND for the Klebbie (reluctantly so)...
    peter wrote: »
    Goldeneye gets the Blondie, but, I actually enjoy all of the Brosnan era songs. GE comes the closest to an all out classic, the rest don't, but none, to me, are terrible. DAD, to my ear, is cheesy and silly, but still fun, so, I think based on what I just said, Crow's song, although not bad, was outdone by KD Lang's, and isn't as interesting as the other themes. It's somewhat sleepy, so I'll go with TND for the Klebbie (reluctantly so)...

I'm now trying to picture 'Goldeneye' performed by Blondie.
  • Bondie for TWINE, Klebbie for DAD
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

I'm now trying to picture 'Goldeneye' performed by Blondie.

😂 😂 😂… however…. In an alternate universe, could be cool, 😂?!!
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Bondie: TWINE
    Klebbie: DAD