Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    I always thought Tim was the tallest? He looks quite long in the gunbarrel (whereas Danny looked a little short, 😂)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 26 Posts: 14,957
    I also have a photo of me stood with Caroline Munro too, who also attended. I also managed to chat with Peter Franks (the actor who played him in DAF).

Oh that's lots of fun, it's good you've kept that photo.
    That reminds me I had a photo with Shirley Eaton at some Bond event at the NFT (as it was then) and we chatted about her knickers! :D Her GF ones had been up for sale that day at a big auction (the one where Oddjob's hat sold).
    I can't remember what that NFT thing was for now, but I remember getting Michael Wilson and John Glen's autographs, I'll have to dig them out.
    The first time I realised how tall Tim really was, it was during Hot Fuzz. He looks massive during that film.

Yes I know what you mean; he does seem more imposing in that than in his Bonds. I guess everyone else in Bond films is generally quite tall as well!
    peter wrote: »
    I always thought Tim was the tallest? He looks quite long in the gunbarrel (whereas Danny looked a little short, 😂)

Interesting: to me it didn't really come across onscreen but I guess so.
    mtm wrote: »
    I also have a photo of me stood with Caroline Munro too, who also attended. I also managed to chat with Peter Franks (the actor who played him in DAF).

That reminds me I had a photo with Shirley Eaton at some Bond event at the NFT (as it was then) and we chatted about her knickers! :D Her GF ones had been up for sale that day at a big auction (the one where Oddjob's hat sold).
    I can't remember what that NFT thing was for now, but I remember getting Michael Wilson and John Glen's autographs, I'll have to dig them out.

Yes, cool.

B-)

It's nice if you get chance to attend these events. I remember my friend and I sat at the back of the cinema, listening to various stories about Cubby from people who came on stage - Moore, Maxwell, Llewelyn, etc. and we were pinching ourselves, not quite believing we were in the same room as this lot. Shame it was on a sad occasion, but as a Bond fan it was priceless.

My friend managed to annoy Christopher Lee too, who was signing the Cubby memorial programmes and when it came to my friend's turn, he suddenly got distracted by taking a photo of me and Caroline Munro, so Lee had to take out his own pen to sign it. I remember saying to him afterwards `you just pissed off Dracula!'
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 26 Posts: 14,957
    Haha! Sounds like a very memorable day; fun memories.

The one thing that still stays with me from the Ian Fleming centenary thing was that Paul McCartney sent a recorded message which they played on the screen, and he ended his little speech with peace signs and said "live and let die!" as if it was a sort of 'stay lucky!' positive sign off, perhaps missing the meaning of the words slightly! :))
  • mtm wrote: »

Yes, cool.

B-)

It's nice if you get chance to attend these events. I remember my friend and I sat at the back of the cinema, listening to various stories about Cubby from people who came on stage - Moore, Maxwell, Llewelyn, etc. and we were pinching ourselves, not quite believing we were in the same room as this lot. Shame it was on a sad occasion, but as a Bond fan it was priceless.

My friend managed to annoy Christopher Lee too, who was signing the Cubby memorial programmes and when it came to my friend's turn, he suddenly got distracted by taking a photo of me and Caroline Munro, so Lee had to take out his own pen to sign it. I remember saying to him afterwards `you just pissed off Dracula!'

Did Sir Christopher use his own golden pen?
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited March 27 Posts: 565

Either Tim or Sean, but there aren't any pictures of them together so we can't know who's taller.
    mtm wrote: »
    Interesting: to me it didn't really come across onscreen but I guess so.

Maybe because he got saddled with baggy late-80s tailoring.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The best Bond films have a relatively grounded first hour or so and then somewhere around 2/3rds mark completely let rip, and turn into an all out romp. OHMSS does this after Bond escapes Piz Gloria, TSWLM does this after Bond and XXX join forces, Goldeneye does this once Bond meets up with Natalya. Once you get to the 90 minute mark of a Bond film essentially all the peices are in place, the characters journeys are essentially complete, and its just about enjoying the ride from that point on. Like slowly climbing a slide, and getting the reward of the rush on the way down. The trick of a Bond film is earning the right to go so over the top, for the audience to go along with it. You need that investment because without it all the spectacle would be like a soufflé that never rises, people would probably walk out.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The best Bond films have a relatively grounded first hour or so and then somewhere around 2/3rds mark completely let rip, and turn into an all out romp. OHMSS does this after Bond escapes Piz Gloria, TSWLM does this after Bond and XXX join forces, Goldeneye does this once Bond meets up with Natalya. Once you get to the 90 minute mark of a Bond film essentially all the peices are in place, the characters journeys are essentially complete, and its just about enjoying the ride from that point on. Like slowly climbing a slide, and getting the reward of the rush on the way down. The trick of a Bond film is earning the right to go so over the top, for the audience to go along with it. You need that investment because without it all the spectacle would be like a soufflé that never rises, people would probably walk out.

I agree. And it's important that we can, indeed, enjoy the final ride and not doze off. Fortunately, few Bond films pose that risk for me, but at least TWINE, LALD and AVTAK can be challenging sometimes.
  • edited March 27 Posts: 704

The best film is FRWL, IMO , i don't think this is true.

And every movie has clímax. I don't understand the point.

FRWL illustrates my point perfectly. By the time Bond takes the lector and boards the train all the pieces are in place, and there's nothing else that needs to be explained to the audience. It's just about watching the domino's fall one after the other, starting with kerims death.

FRWL illustrates my point perfectly. By the time Bond takes the lector and boards the train all the pieces are in place, and there's nothing else that needs to be explained to the audience. It's just about watching the domino's fall one after the other, starting with kerims death.

Every movie have that. It's the climax. The last 30 minutes are the resolution.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Exactly. That's what @Mendes4Lyfe is saying too. All the chess pieces are in their place, the stakes are clear, the characters are on their proper journeys. From here on, the puzzle can be completed -- the resolution, if you will.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Exactly. That's what @Mendes4Lyfe is saying too. All the chess pieces are in their place, the stakes are clear, the characters are on their proper journeys. From here on, the puzzle can be completed -- the resolution, if you will.

Indeed.
    https://variety.com/2024/film/news/pierce-brosnan-aaron-taylor-johnson-james-bond-1235953078/

Pierce Brosnan Gives Aaron Taylor-Johnson His Blessing to Be the Next James Bond: ‘The Man Has the Chops, Talent and the Charisma’
    https://variety.com/2024/film/news/pierce-brosnan-aaron-taylor-johnson-james-bond-1235953078/

Pierce Brosnan Gives Aaron Taylor-Johnson His Blessing to Be the Next James Bond: ‘The Man Has the Chops, Talent and the Charisma’

Brozza has spoken. ^:)^
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Thankfully George and Pierce have absolutely nothing to do with the casting of the next Bond.
  • edited March 27 Posts: 486

Btw, if ATJ were cast as Bond, The Greatest would become the first movie EVER in which two official Bond actors appear (although one of them before becoming a Bond actor).
    talos7 wrote: »
    Thankfully George and Pierce have absolutely nothing to do with the casting of the next Bond.

I don't care about their opinions but it seems that Variety and Deadline do.

Another ripple from the original Sun story…
    Come on Mr. Dalton say it should be an unknown.

Yeah, I Know but Deadline and Variety are following that story.

Because the Pierce quote is real, despite the ATJ story not being real at all. Not rocket science, this.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The narrative is shifting incrementally:

“…..with The Sun reporting on March 18 that he was officially offered the role and is expected to sign a contract soon. Sources close to Taylor-Johnson, however, downplayed the report and said he has not been cast as Bond.”

Read the original article from The Sun. It clearly stated EoN expected him (as did other “sources”), that ATJ was signing last week.

They want us to forget this point.

They want us to forget that lawyers were negotiating a three or four pic deal, but miraculously, ATJ was also being measured for suits (those two things would not be happening, not during negotiations).

So now the goalposts shift, the narrative slides, and NOW ATJ’s expected to sign “soon” (considering he was cast in 2022, what’s taking so long?).

The only thing that’s been consistent ARE the reports that ppl close to ATJ says he’s not been cast as Bond. I would say that’s about the only relevant info amongst the floating garbage of these articles.

The media was absolutely certain about Princess Catherine. Until they weren’t (read those conspiracies and how it spread like a virus. Disgusting).

And this is very similar: a rag, with no sources, drops a bomb, similar to the “sources” and “close advisors” to Buckingham Palace, and all media outlets are reporting on no wedding rings, affairs, eating disorders. All of it wrong, wrong, and wrong.

And it spread.

This is the same media-virus.

But in the end… they were absolutely wrong, when this was reported as absolute truth.

The media, especially the rags, are repugnant.

(And p.s. when a Bond actor is asked about any actor as James Bond, are they expected to say: that guy? He sucks!

So….)…

Univex wrote: »

Because the Pierce quote is real, despite the ATJ story not being real at all. Not rocket science, this.

And...?

The quote is pointless without the ATJ story.

• peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 27 Posts: 8,502

And...?

The quote is pointless without ATJ story.

Gobble-gobble, @DEKE_RIVERS .. does Brosnan’s opinion about an actor make the “story” truthful? No. Absolutely not.

This is all manufactured, as the Princess Catherine stories were grossly out of line.

And...?

Let me put it like this. Pierce Brosnan reacted to fake news, and that was reported as real news, because it is. Real reaction to fake stuff. Like I said, not rocket science.

I gather the eagerness for any type of news and advances regarding Bond26, and a bit of love for ATJ as Bond (by some), are pushing for this. Horses pushing no cart. I get it. I really do. But it is delusional. So, I'm just saying that you should protect yourselves from disappointment. That's all. And if I'm wrong and ATJ ends up being James Bond, I won't loose any sleep over it. Not the worst choice, IMO, if he modulates that voice of his.

And...?

Gobble-gobble, @DEKE_RIVERS .. does Brosnan’s opinion about an actor make the “story” truthful? No. Absolutely not.

This is all manufactured, as the Princess Catherine stories were grossly out of line.

My point is... Variety doesn't know more than us. Neither Deadline.
  • edited March 27 Posts: 6,677

And...?

And you're probably right. And when they do know more than us, they'll report it as truth, and we'll believe them for their record and reliability. But that is not the case here. Not now. Not so far.

And if this turns up to be true, the way things were done will never be hailed as right. Most media, nowadays, are an embarrassment. @peter has written more than enough on the matter, and he is absolutely right.
    The responses given by George and Pierce are nothing more than both being gracious when being asked a for an opinion concerning a hypothetical casting possibility , which was based on a discredited story oriented in a dubious tabloid. Whew…

Also, the fact that so many legitimate outlets ran with the Sun story makes me question the reliability of the media as a whole.
  • peterpeter Toronto

And...?

Oh. That’s your point.

Okay.

Deadline has likely put one of their top columnists on this, like Mike Fleming— the guy who breaks the big stories.

I’m gonna guess he did his job. Had a sniff around and discovered there’s no meat to this at all, and he’s gone back to reporting breaking news (the Mike Flemings write about Chamalet signing a first look deal with Warners, and the Mike Flemings would have written an article about Bond, if it had any truth. But he hasn’t. So these media are giving the daily news of what The Sun is reporting (note: The Sun), and they’re reporting on the daily news of what Brosnan’s thoughts are, based on what The Sun insists is happening (note: not deadline).

When the Mike Fleming-types break the news or report on it, there will be genuine weight to the story.

Until then, they’re doing what everyone else is doing (The Sun reported….).

Gobble-gobble….