Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

CrabKey wrote: »
    This older fan doesn't need TD or PB resurrected. Rather than nostalgia, it would be another reminder of how old I am. I am nostalgic for classic Bond elements, not a particular actor or decade. I want a Bond film that feels like a Bond film rather than something that could easily be an MI film or Jason Bourne. As for mother and father figures, leave it alone. I am way beyond Bond having his hand slapped for being a bad boy. Disagreement is fine, but keep it adult to adult rather than parent to child.

As much as I don't want to see the regularly destroyed DB5 again, I'll take it any day over a BMW or some other product placement car. A Bentley and Aston have always been Bond cars. Let's keep it that way. As for music, Bond is Barry. It's fine to use modern interpretations and variations of his work. Keep some of the Bond DNA.

What I'd like to see more of in Bond films is suspense. There's plenty of action, but not much in the way of suspense. Having watched North by Northwest again this weekend, I am reminded of what fun a suspense film can be.

Bond always hops on trends even in the connery days…. But you are suggesting a bond film can make money without trend hopping

Its a bold move lets see if it will pay off
    For me Bond was more fun when the films were creating trends instead of hopping on trends.
    I can’t think of a single Bond film that hasn’t in some way taken influence from other films… not sure if I can think of any film in general that hasn’t taken influence from another film either.

I’d also say that I can’t think of any Bond film I’d describe as not feeling like a Bond film in some way.
    For me Bond was more fun when the films were creating trends instead of hopping on trends.

Bond films from Day 1 were cribbing from other films, and that's okay. Everyone steals from someone else and filters it through their own perspective.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    I do think a distinction should be made between inspiration and trend hopping.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I’m not a big fan of the homage in Bond films.
    Jinx recreating Honey Ryder in DAD, or Fields covered in oil in QOS.
    The use of the DB5 has been done to death in the Craig era.
    In CR it was warranted, in SF tolerated.
    From SP onwards it was overkill.
    It’s a beautiful and iconic car that screams Bond. But it needs to be retired along with any other past cars or gadgets
    Time for something new and fresh.
  • edited March 25 Posts: 704

They can't create trends if they are doing pastiches.
    So, anyone watched Road House? I feel we need that kind of vibe for the next one; a fun feel-good movie.
    So, anyone watched Road House? I feel we need that kind of vibe for the next one; a fun feel-good movie.

Ya know, I was one of those who actually preferred a fun feel-good movie a couple of years ago, after all of those soap opera family shenanigans of daddy-Bond and step siblings, and personal, betrayal issues, ... And I quoted as model the uncle film, way back then. But I must say that, a couple of years later, and with the prospect of someone like Villeneuve directing the new film, I want the proper deal; a full blown Bond epic in the veins of CR and GE, with splashes of 60s exoticism and nonchalant attitude mixed with 80s bravado and hardness and 90s seriousness, with, of course, whatever the current times bring to it, except for any sort of in-your-face agendas or gratuitous shock factor. I want a film we can put up there with GF/FRWL/OHMSS/TLD/GE/CR. One that sets the trend for the future whist being proud of the past. Yes, I said PROUD, not nostalgic or referencial, but proud, as in non apologetic.

So, that's what I want. Asking too much? Maybe ;)
    Personally, I think Bond should always be what the Fleming novels and essentially all the films are: easily consumable, escapist fare with a dose of fantasy, mixed with a good splash of intelligence, nuances of character, and even darkness. They’re not strictly high brow by any means, nor should they be, but they are not simply disposable popcorn flicks/pulp novels either.

What is done within that description can vary. But that’s very broadly what Bond is. Certainly was throughout the Craig era and will be going forward.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Personally, I think Bond should always be what the Fleming novels and essentially all the films are: easily consumable, escapist fare with a dose of fantasy, mixed with a good splash of intelligence, nuances of character, and even darkness. They’re not strictly high brow by any means, nor should they be, but they are not simply disposable popcorn flicks/pulp novels either.

What is done within that description can vary. But that’s very broadly what Bond is. Certainly was throughout the Craig era and will be going forward.

I endorse this message ;)
    Well said, @007HallY.
    Univex wrote: »

Ya know, I was one of those who actually preferred a fun feel-good movie a couple of years ago, after all of those soap opera family shenanigans of daddy-Bond and step siblings, and personal, betrayal issues, ... And I quoted as model the uncle film, way back then. But I must say that, a couple of years later, and with the prospect of someone like Villeneuve directing the new film, I want the proper deal; a full blown Bond epic in the veins of CR and GE, with splashes of 60s exoticism and nonchalant attitude mixed with 80s bravado and hardness and 90s seriousness, with, of course, whatever the current times bring to it, except for any sort of in-your-face agendas or gratuitous shock factor. I want a film we can put up there with GF/FRWL/OHMSS/TLD/GE/CR. One that sets the trend for the future whist being proud of the past. Yes, I said PROUD, not nostalgic or referencial, but proud, as in non apologetic.

Sure that's a lot to ask for haha.

I'm calling for an action-packed thrilling ride. His job is a serious matter but remember, Bond is a thrill-seeker who loves a sense of danger. There should be a balance between excitement and seriousness. If it's too dark it will be dour.

I also don't want a beach scene in the next one. Bond can display his figure in another original way.
  • edited March 25 Posts: 6,677

Sure that's a lot to ask for haha.

I'm calling for an action-packed thrilling ride. His job is a serious matter but remember, Bond is a thrill-seeker who loves a sense of danger. There should be a balance between excitement and seriousness. If it's too dark it will be dour.

I also don't want a beach scene in the next one. Bond can display his figure in another original way.

Or not at all. Can't recall seeing Dalton shirtless, and I sure don't want to recall seeing Moore shirtless either :) with that broad hairless tanned chest of his. I say keep his shirt on.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Univex, we do see both of them shirtless actually - Dalton waking up at Sanchez's estate, and Moore showing off that superfluous papilla.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Univex, we do see both of them shirtless actually - Dalton waking up at Sanchez's estate, and Moore showing off that superfluous papilla.

Oh yes! Damn it, now you've made me remember that :D Years and years working on forgetting it. Kidding.

Oh yes! Damn it, now you've made me remember that :D Years and years working on forgetting it. Kidding.
    How could you forget the third nipple!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Send me your address, I'll get you some gigantic posters of both moments to hang on your walls!

How could you forget the third nipple!

With due effort ;)

Send me your address, I'll get you some gigantic posters of both moments to hang on your walls!

@-)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sorry, this is just spam on my behalf.
    But I couldn't resist when I found out about @Univex ...condition. ;)

j4pkuhw4xngb.jpg

We'd better hurry, if @Univex hears about this, I'm done for. They've got Brosnan on speed dial you know.

vrx3ska3gap2.jpg

I don't know what you're crying for? They're just man boobs!

25fjsug5lpvh.jpg

Okay, okay, I'll put my shirt on. @Univex doesn't like seeing me topless either.

74qrgkhtbtd5.jpg

@Univex is a shot like this going to cause you to need therapy?

mwxu6nrth43b.jpg

How about if I have a third nipple?

c1p2t5fxmkwm.jpg

Yeah, what was I thinking? Stupid Rog, stupid. Urrggghhh.

dv81c0tqy8uv.jpg

You're not like @Univex are you and don't want too see my chest?

3x7lzooo3jqc.jpg

Believe it or not, there are some that don't like seeing me shirtless.

zwh19iapvdnx.jpg

I knew it, he doesn't like seeing me shirtless, but will use snooper when I'm in the shower with Tanya Roberts.

I'd like to thank @Univex for allowing me to torment you.
    Please forward any payment for your therapy to -:

The mod house
    James Bond avenue
    London
    W12 007

• edited March 25 Posts: 6,677
    Bloody hell, @Benny! The trauma @-) :-SS :((

Never gonna recover from those.

That's actually quite the detriment to those who claim Bond was only sexualized by the time Craig popped up in Jamaica's Ocean Club beach, or took his shirt off in QOS (although I still would have preferred that Miss Fields took that overcoat off on camera). Bond's been taking his shirt off since Dr. No (aka, rug days).

That being said, you do understand I was only kidding, don't you, you spammer you [-X >:D<
  • edited March 26 Posts: 704
    They tried it with Moore but he was not Connery.
  • Who is the most dad bod Bond? I'd say it's a tie between Moore in general and Die another day Brosnan.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Connery in DAF.
  • edited March 26 Posts: 2,900
    Who is the most dad bod Bond? I'd say it's a tie between Moore in general and Die another day Brosnan.

I actually don’t think Moore looked bad at all (ok, a shirtless Moore isn’t exactly what I watch his Bond films for, but still). Not the most naturally athletic Bond actor by any means, but he had quite a naturally wide chest and a relatively big frame.

Brosnan from what I can remember slowly gained weight throughout his era (which isn’t a bad thing and not to say that he wasn’t lean - he was quite slim in GE especially). I will say that during the fencing scene in DAD it’s tricky not to notice that they’ve given Bond a long sleeved jumper which hides Brosnan’s arms, while Toby Stephens gets a sleeveless vest and looks much more lean and muscular.

Even Connery in DAF doesn’t look bad, even with some weight on him. I think he was someone who, being quite tall and muscular, came naturally with a lot of weight anyway (wasn’t he like 86 kilos in DN or something?)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Who is the most dad bod Bond? I'd say it's a tie between Moore in general and Die another day Brosnan.

I actually don’t think Moore looked bad at all (ok, a shirtless Moore isn’t exactly what I watch his Bond films for, but still). Not the most naturally athletic Bond actor by any means, but he had quite a naturally wide chest and a relatively big frame.

Did you ever see him in real life? I remember seeing him for the first time when he walked in a room and he was almost comedically cartoon-shaped: a bit like Johnny Bravo with oversized shoulders, very tall, and relatively short legs- he was all torso. Onscreen you kind of accept it but when he's in the room with you it was quite striking how unusual his build was. With his big chiseled chin he was almost like a drawing of a handsome man come to life, quite amazing genetics.
  • edited March 26 Posts: 2,900
    mtm wrote: »

Did you ever see him in real life? I remember seeing him for the first time when he walked in a room and he was almost comedically cartoon-shaped: a bit like Johnny Bravo with oversized shoulders, very tall, and relatively short legs- he was all torso. Onscreen you kind of accept it but when he's in the room with you it was quite striking how unusual his build was. With his big chiseled chin he was almost like a drawing of a handsome man come to life, quite amazing genetics.

Can't ever say I ever got the chance to see him IRL. But that does sound quite funny and I can sort of see it. Perhaps the flares/longer trousers in some of his films were not only an outdated fashion choice but something to make his legs seem longer too, haha.

What was the event where you saw him if I may ask? Never actually been to anything where I'd ever get to see any of the Bond actors (closest for me would be inadvertently blocking the door as Chrstoph Waltz was leaving in Berlin once... not exactly life changing but oh well).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Can't ever say I ever got the chance to see him IRL. But that does sound quite funny and I can sort of see it. Perhaps the flares/longer trousers in some of his films were not only an outdated fashion choice but something to make his legs seem longer too, haha.

What was the event where you saw him if I may ask?

I think the first time was one of those Q&As he was doing to promote his first autobiography- it was at a little theatre in the Barbican and he walked down the steps in the auditorium to the stage past everyone and that's when it really struck me how kind of unique his body shape was! Then me and a mate went to see him a few times as he had a few books out after that and was popping up all the time! The last time we went was on a lunch break where he was doing a signing at St Pancras, which wasn't far from where I was working. Lovely to go and meet Roger Moore and go back to work for the afternoon :)
    We went to that Ian Fleming centenary thing at the Palladium too: that was fun because amongst quite a few stars who turned up, Roger and Daniel Craig appeared together too- I think that's the only time I've seen more than one Bond at once. Daniel had his arm in a sling, I think from the shooting of QoS.

I managed to get (fairly) up close to Moore, Dalton and Brosnan. They were stood together in Leicester Square for Cubby's memorial, which a friend and I managed to blag tickets for, back in the mid-90's.

I remember them all being of fairly similar height when stood next to each other.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's fun (apart from it being a memorial of course!); I've seen them separately but never together :) I think Tim just edges it as tallest, doesn't he? Slightly surprisingly as well; he doesn't look like a massive guy.
  • edited March 26 Posts: 3,279
    That's fun (apart from it being a memorial of course!); I've seen them separately but never together :) I think Tim just edges it as tallest, doesn't he? Slightly surprisingly as well; he doesn't look like a massive guy.

Yes, I didn't really get a sense of that when the 3 of them were stood together, arms round each other. I have a photo of them somewhere (before the days of iPhones, so it's a real photo, not digital). I also have a photo of me stood with Caroline Munro too, who also attended. I also managed to chat with Peter Franks (the actor who played him in DAF).

The first time I realised how tall Tim really was, it was during Hot Fuzz. He looks massive during that film.