Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    45 is the new 30 and 30 is the new 20 when it comes to casting Bond
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've either asked and not been answered or asked and the only response was the one I expected, but any recommendable films or non-Vikings projects I should check out to get a feel for Suter's talents?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Thought I'd just post the top five from the who should be James Bond next elimination game, not including "none of the above" which is technically in fourth place.

pokodOR.jpeg

1) Leo Suter
    2) Theo James
    3) Callum Turner
    4) Aiden Turner
    5) Sam Claflin

I wholeheartedly believe that if these 5 were actually auditioned and screentested, one would stand out and be cast.

While I have a current favorite, I could be happy if any of those gents were cast.

Most of them are too old.

Respectfully I disagree.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    We're judging on looks which if fair, you must look the part. However I think that they won't be able to play the part correctly, I think none of them have their own interpretation.
    That’s why we have auditions. Like @talos7, while I have my doubts about a couple of them for various reasons, there’s no reason why any of them couldn’t audition, where EON will find out for themselves.
    I know, mate. The screentests are crucial. I look back at Sam Neill thinking he sort of acting like ConneryBond. Screentest them all, see who stands out, who wants it and find out what EoN can do with the actor.
    We keep saying it, but those screentests are our holly grail as Bond fans. If only they'd release them for public viewing. At least some, with the approval of the actors.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've either asked and not been answered or asked and the only response was the one I expected, but any recommendable films or non-Vikings projects I should check out to get a feel for Suter's talents?

Not many films. He's been on Vikings: Valhalla since 2022 and season 3 is coming out this year. Personally I haven't watched it but he has some good fighting choreography.
    More Bond auditions would be cool to see, but at the same time I understand why we only have a select few. I doubt specific permission is needed from the actors but I think EON know most wouldn’t necessarily want some of these auditions made public, even more than a decade after the fact. That and I’m not sure how much interest there is beyond the fandom seeing such tapes of often lesser known (or even outright obscure) actors. Usually when auditions are released from those who don’t get high profile roles they tend to be a) actors who became famous or highly regarded later, b) are from a very small pool/selection of candidates and alongside the actor who did get the role, usually featuring more from the latter in order to imply they were by far the strongest contender, or c) are outright oddities such as James Brolin or Roger Green. That or the role is so associated with the actor who got the part, and indeed after a long period of time, that alternative auditions are more historical documents at that point.

I think another reason EON don’t tend to release all of their auditions from more recent Bonds is also because it’s not entirely fair to the actors who got the part. In a closely contented process especially you don’t want fans combing over several auditions and thinking ‘wouldn’t x have made a better Bond than Brosnan or Dalton’ without having a handle on why exactly they didn’t get the part. So while cool, I think they might be better in their entirety in the vaults. Still, would be cool to see more snippets here and there after time has passed.

Not many films. He's been on Vikings: Valhalla since 2022 and season 3 is coming out this year. Personally I haven't watched it but he has some good fighting choreography.

He’s excellent in this…

He’s excellent in this…

Looks quite good. Does he sing in it? £2.99 to buy on Amazon Video.

He’s excellent in this…

Looks quite good. Does he sing in it? £2.99 to buy on Amazon Video.

I suspect that the vocals in the film aren’t him, but, he can sing

http://illfindyoufilm.com/cast/leo-suter.html#:~:text=He is also a singer,turning him into a baritone.
    According to the insider, an event will be held where the remaining living Bonds – including George Lazenby, 84, Timothy Dalton, 78, Pierce Brosnan, 70, and Daniel, 56 – will be asked to attend to pass on the torch.

67837629-e1f6-4aa8-886b-3b1ef26d0b43_text.gif

;))
    I can’t think of what’s worse - a new Bond actor having their ‘unveiling’ overshadowed by having their predecessors nearby, or dragging all those poor old actors out for such an elaborate publicity event.

Needless to say it’d be ill conceived. The precedent is there’s an announcement and then press conference for the new actor and by extension the film. The closest we tend to get to Bond reunions is when previous Bonds attend opening screenings and are maybe snapped with the producers or maybe the new Bond. Even then I don’t think Lazenby attends those.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    bondywondy wrote: »
    According to the insider, an event will be held where the remaining living Bonds – including George Lazenby, 84, Timothy Dalton, 78, Pierce Brosnan, 70, and Daniel, 56 – will be asked to attend to pass on the torch.

67837629-e1f6-4aa8-886b-3b1ef26d0b43_text.gif

;))

Nope, that's what the Daily Mail reported, lol.

It's all BS... all of it.

And, since it was also reported that EON expected ATJ to sign last week, when is the announcement?

He's being measured for suits, according to this rag, so, this week, right? I mean, if he's signed, and is being suited up, lol, they can't keep this announcement too much longer. After all, it's a done deal, according to the rags, and this will no longer be the big announcement that, surely, EON truly wants.

Using a little common sense, if any of this is true, and this has all happened, EoN, like they did with Craig when the wolves got a sense that he got the role, expedited their announcement to the world.

But so far, no such announcement is on the horizon. Not last week. Not this week. Not next week.

I'll go back to what I've been saying for a few weeks:

There's something happening at EON HQ:

A script is being written with the hope they attach Villeneuve, IF, it fits into his schedule...

And why do I say this? A few quick points:

He dropped a tv series he’d been developing with Jake Gylenhaal two days after being at an event with Broccoli. He’d been attached to this since 2016, and it really picked up steam over Covid.

But he dropped it. It’s no longer on his slate.

And then a couple days after he dropped this from his slate, he stated he’d like to do another film BEFORE Dune 3 and Cleopatra (and the Clarke project hasn’t been written yet).

THEN, after saying this, he said he wants to do “a secret project “ that he’s “not at liberty to speak about”, BUT, he was clear: it needs to “see the light of day soon,” or he won’t be able to do it.

It’s Bond 26 (anyone want to wager?).

Something is afoot at EoN, but I’m saying it’s not about the casting yet. It’s about the script and the director (front runner, Villeneuve).

And ATJ could still get the role (although I’ve really gone all in that he won’t— but that’s my own arrogance on display), but it’ll be via the proper procedures.

Nothing has been written in stone, but I do believe if the B26 script is written with enough runway for Villeneuve, he will be the next director. Or, this will end when he and EoN see, like they did for NTTD, that once again his schedule killed any chance of him directing once again.

But right now I think we should be looking at any news on the script and Villeneuve’s next attachment…
    April 1 is a good date.

I mean, if it happens. ;)
    A Daily Mail reader gave this reason why Aaron Taylor-Johnson shouldn't be Bond:
    Alfi123
    SYDNEY, Australia
    17h ago
    His hair is too woke to be Bond

;))

I dunno if he was serious or not. 🤭 Never heard of woke hair!
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    bondywondy wrote: »
    A Daily Mail reader gave this reason why Aaron Taylor-Johnson shouldn't be Bond:
    Alfi123
    SYDNEY, Australia
    17h ago
    His hair is too woke to be Bond

;))

I dunno if he was serious or not. 🤭 Never heard of woke hair!

I lol'd. Also, all hail @peter for spreading some sanity between all the insanity, coming from the rags.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »
    More Bond auditions would be cool to see, but at the same time I understand why we only have a select few. I doubt specific permission is needed from the actors but I think EON know most wouldn’t necessarily want some of these auditions made public, even more than a decade after the fact. That and I’m not sure how much interest there is beyond the fandom seeing such tapes of often lesser known (or even outright obscure) actors. Usually when auditions are released from those who don’t get high profile roles they tend to be a) actors who became famous or highly regarded later, b) are from a very small pool/selection of candidates and alongside the actor who did get the role, usually featuring more from the latter in order to imply they were by far the strongest contender, or c) are outright oddities such as James Brolin or Roger Green. That or the role is so associated with the actor who got the part, and indeed after a long period of time, that alternative auditions are more historical documents at that point.

I think another reason EON don’t tend to release all of their auditions from more recent Bonds is also because it’s not entirely fair to the actors who got the part. In a closely contented process especially you don’t want fans combing over several auditions and thinking ‘wouldn’t x have made a better Bond than Brosnan or Dalton’ without having a handle on why exactly they didn’t get the part. So while cool, I think they might be better in their entirety in the vaults. Still, would be cool to see more snippets here and there after time has passed.

I think you're right: I think it's perhaps also not fair on the actors who did win the part too- maybe they don't want people to see the sort of early unfinished version of their performance.
    There may also be contractual issues- they weren't actually signed up to play Bond when they did the auditions (although I expect there's some sort of agreement signed) and their agents may ask for their clients to be paid again if the audition were to be released as it's a new scene with (e.g) Daniel Craig playing James Bond that he didn't get paid for at the time.
    If it is Villeneuve, I'll open a bottle of champagne. Damn happy if it's him. Fingers crossed, @Peter, my friend.
    @peter , IF Villeneuve left the television project because of this “ secret project “, which may be Bond26, does that indicate the the are close to having an acceptable script? I can see him exiting a project for something else that isn’t fairly well developed.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 25 Posts: 8,501
    @peter , IF Villeneuve left the television project because of this “ secret project “, which may be Bond26, does that indicate the the are close to having an acceptable script? I can see him exiting a project for something else that isn’t fairly well developed.

@talos7

IF this is B26, I have to believe that a script must be incoming (I’m guessing, purely guessing, but the WGA strikes ended in late September. Let’s say that EoN started chatting with, for the sake of argument, P and W (both MGW and BB said they’d go back to these two), in November and December. And the writers got to work in earnest after Christmas, some time in January, then they could have outlines and a workable script sometime between June and September(?). Maybe sooner?…. (Seriously, I’m guessing on all of months, but I believe the script must be coming soon. And IF this IS B26, Villeneuve has said the secret project “must see the light of day soon”, so if a script doesn’t get delivered in a sufficient time, Villeneuve will have to move on (this happened after Boyle left B25: Villeneuve would have done Craig’s last but he was too deep in preproduction for Dune and declined the gig, he just couldn’t do it. So we know the appetite is there for both parties, but it WILL come down to this race: can a script get done, giving Villeneuve the time to continue developing the story as they audition actors, preproduction, production, then supervising post? Time is the factor, not the desire of the parties, methinks…).
  • edited March 25 Posts: 6,677
    Oh, for Pete's sake, I've written an entire novel in three weeks. I can work the script on time for Villeneuve. Call me up, EON, I'm here, damn it. Willing to do it for the cost of coffee, a kiss on Bab's cheek and a handshake with Michael. Let's do it.

Waiting.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @peter thanks for the insight as always mate.
    Interesting times ahead it seems
    Things are starting to happen…..
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    @peter thanks for the insight as always mate.
    Interesting times ahead it seems

Just some sleuthing, @Jordo007 … trying to be like our man Bond…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I still can't see any sign of a holding company on Companies House though.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    mtm wrote: »

Yep, that’s the one thing bothering me at the moment @mtm .

I believe it will be harder to find this one, as usually these holding companies are simply named B22 or B23 or B24.

But it’s clear B26 was opened several years ago, and has nothing to do with the actual Bond 26 film.

So I have no idea what to look for, as the letter and number was taken before it could be used for this specific project.
    peter wrote: »

I believe it will be harder to find this one, as usually these holding companies are simply named B22 or B23 or B24.

But it’s clear B26 was opened several years ago, and has nothing to do with the actual Bond 26 film.

So I have no idea what to look for, as the letter and number was taken before it could be used for this specific project.

Are things like this even done covertly?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 25 Posts: 14,957
    peter wrote: »

I look at the appointments of the directors of the company- that shows what other companies they are directors of. This one seems a good bet to keep an eye on:
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/Yf1BxHNvo5ENIUFZKDNY6ghxArU/appointments

There are sometimes multiple listings for the same person though. I can't see NTTD on her list of previous, so there may be another page somewhere.
    EDIT: yes, here's the one with B25:
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/S-fn_wwzDoscAiw7KWl-vIwbtD4/appointments

B25 ltd seems to still be active, so maybe they're using that, although I wouldn't have thought so.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @talos7 , I don’t think they do it covertly, but it’s also not something readily advertised. And not something the average fan would be searching for— although we aren’t average fans, are we??

@mtm I wouldn’t think so either, although the accounting stuff in general isn’t my area of passion at all (doing my taxes is quite enough, 😂).

I mean, they want to keep everything neat and one company per project. Everything goes in and out of this one holdings.

But I’m also surprised B25 isn’t closed yet— so maybe?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    B24 is still open too- maybe there are various earnings from the film they have to address even years after it being released.

Just looking through their appointments and I see James Higgins was only removed from being a director of Eon in 2021, upon his death aged 98. I guess he wouldn't have been very active and more advisory if anything, so it seems nice they kept him on the payroll.