Would you rather EON adapt the continuation novels OR continue to develop their own adventures?

Comments

On my most recent rewatches, I must say I have a lot of admiration for Lewis Gilbert’s directing. I guess YOLT has gone up in my opinion of it then.

SP definitely has its moments though.

Probably YOLT by a hair, but it depends on my mood.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    YOLT
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    YOLT
    For the sake of balance, I will go with SP.
    YOLT starts well but drags badly in mid section until it picks up for the spectacular finale.
    SP gets a bad rap. For me, it's great up until it returns to England for the final 20 mins, and even parts of that are enjoyable!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ok, I wanted to balance things, as Lea is.. well, Lea, but then I remembered the things I really don't like: the ludicrous chase with a completely destroyed aircraft, a boring chase through Rome, the foster-brother-psychology thing. It's way, way too much.

YOLT isn't logical, but it's still interesting. Mie Hama is cute as can be.

I'll go for YOLT.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 22 Posts: 2,930
    Y'know what? I'll have to go with SP! I know, I know, but...yeh.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Spectre is basically Craig's YOLT.

Crater base

Meeting Blofeld

Coming off the most successful and profitable Bond film and yielding lower results.

Disenfranchised lead with Connery and Craig.

Hunky silent henchman.

It's a toss up but I'll go with YOLT
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    YOLT. Though it's one of my not-so-favourite Connery films. But then SP is sort of tying with QOS for the honour of being my least-appreciated Craig film.
    YOLT.

It's the worst Connery movie but it has charm.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    YOLT. Great Barry score. Great Sinatra title song. Like Thunderball, Connery is also on autopilot here, but is always in command of the screen.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited March 23 Posts: 2,627
    YOLT.

In addition to the points already made, YOLT really makes good use of its' Japanese locations. Plus, it has .......
    w780_yyooKuVECPdc3IlPFVlGvoMEmBd.jpg
    :x
    Aki alone gives YOLT the edge.
    YOLT is my next to least favorite Connery film. So much not to like, and yet I want to revisit it from time to time, whereas with SPECTRE nothing really ever stays with me.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    YOLT, if only for John Barry and Ken Adam.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    delfloria wrote: »
    Aki alone gives YOLT the edge.

+1. She's so underrated in the series!

YOLT for me.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Interesting how these two films both feature Blofeld and have a Bond actor who may be less engaged. Hadn't thought of the similarities.

Okay our final match off,

Would you rather watch MR or DAD?

Both films push the realm of realism. We have Bond in space with "fricking lasers". (channeling my Dr. Evil). We have an American agent helping Bond in his mission. We have excess in the globetrotting in both films.

Which one is likely to be found in your Blu-Ray player.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    MR is probably the Bond film I watch the most in recent years, stunning sets and locations this film is arguably the best looking Bond film of the series.

DAD I view as a comedy (Carry On Bond) I can have fun with it until the dismal final act.

MR wins easily for me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Oh, this is an easy one for me: MR it is.

Yes, it's a silly film. But,

1) it has a killer score;
    2) it is a technical marvel in which everything you see on screen physically happened thanks to excellent stunt and special effects teams;
    3) its locations are real, and beautiful on top of that;
    4) not one line of dialogue in MR was as cringeworthy as "Yo' momma", nor did the film need 3 -- yes, three! -- poor "point" puns;
    5) while it lacks the delicious presence of Rosamund Pike, it offers enough beautiful girls to (almost) match the many lovelies CR67 allowed us to indulge;
    6) Roger Moore was on fire;
    7) the film is tonally even, unlike DAD which tries to be serious as well as nutty;
    8) no-one asked Sigmund Freund to analyse this;
    9) no-one had to lay down;
    10) no-one... oh, you get the -- wait for it -- point!

So yes, MR all the way. Perhaps it's more of a Derek Flint flick than a Bond film, but the entire picture brings me more joy than TWINE and DAD combined.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    MR!
  • edited March 24 Posts: 2,904
    I always find there’s a wonderful ‘anything goes’ quality to MR. Like it’s some sort of half remembered dream of a Bond film. The closest I can describe it for me is it’s a lighthearted version of how I see NTTD.

It’s very enjoyable though, and of course well made (as I said before I’ve come to really appreciate how good a director Gilbert was).

DAD on the other hand is a film of missed opportunities and doesn’t quite have the talent behind it that MR does. It has its moments, but MR wins this one for me.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    MR... Wonderful score, great sets, DRAX is so dry he's a cracker and Moore is fun in the role.
    MR without a doubt. Great fun for all the reasons mentioned.
    DAD is...well...lets not beat around the cgi bush,
    Worst Bond Ever!
    MR every time. It's the film that made me the Bond fan I am today and never fails to entertain. I don't dislike DAD as much as some, I'd rather watch it than TWINE, but also don't put it up there either.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 24 Posts: 8,034
    Both bottom tier films for me but what saves MR is the music and Lonsdale's performance as Drax, which is just delicious. The way he says "cucumber sandwich" makes it almost appealing, when cucumber sandwiches most definitely are not.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Both bottom tier films for me but what saves MR is the music and Lonsdale's performance as Drax, which is just delicious. The way he says "cucumber sandwich" makes it almost appealing, when cucumber sandwiches most definitely are not.

I'm glad we agree, @CraigMooreOHMSS. Cucumbers are the still water of vegetables. Boredom in a green jacket. ;-)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Two pretty daft films, in all honesty. But MR.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    As with many of you, both films are bottom tier for me. That said, MR is more fun. Drax is a witty villain and you have John Barry's score - one of his best IMO.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Oh, this is an easy one for me: MR it is.

Yes, it's a silly film. But,

1) it has a killer score;
    2) it is a technical marvel in which everything you see on screen physically happened thanks to excellent stunt and special effects teams;
    3) its locations are real, and beautiful on top of that;
    4) not one line of dialogue in MR was as cringeworthy as "Yo' momma", nor did the film need 3 -- yes, three! -- poor "point" puns;
    5) while it lacks the delicious presence of Rosamund Pike, it offers enough beautiful girls to (almost) match the many lovelies CR67 allowed us to indulge;
    6) Roger Moore was on fire;
    7) the film is tonally even, unlike DAD which tries to be serious as well as nutty;
    8) no-one asked Sigmund Freund to analyse this;
    9) no-one had to lay down;
    10) no-one... oh, you get the -- wait for it -- point!

So yes, MR all the way. Perhaps it's more of a Derek Flint flick than a Bond film, but the entire picture brings me more joy than TWINE and DAD combined.

LOL on 8)-10).

MR for me. The PTS alone clinches it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've always had a soft spot for DAD but MR is the winner for me here. It's risen in my rankings considerably in the last decade and now I really, really love it.
    Easily MR for me too. As a young one, it would have been more debatable, but now I feel like MR has DAD beat at just about every category. Even though MR still ranks towards the bottom of my list, mostly because of the third act, it’s got some great qualities in particular like the PTS, the score, and the cinematography.