Best Shot Per Decade - GE , DAD & SP (The Finals pt:1)

Comments

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited March 22 Posts: 2,609
    Including Last Rat Standing's vote, GE has 4 votes
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    With mine, it now has five: GE, quite clearly.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    marc wrote: »
    Including Last Rat Standing's vote, GE has 4 votes

Sorry, @LastRatStanding ;) I forgot to refresh.

GE - 5
    DAD - 2
    SP - 2
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DAD
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    GE
    And SP for myself, so that makes:

GE - 6
    DAD - 3
    SP - 3
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    GoldenEye
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    GoldenEye for me.
    GE - 8
    DAD - 3
    SP - 3
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited March 23 Posts: 1,691
    Spectre, easily.

I like the composition in the shot, and it's also out of a scene absolutely full of beautiful and imaginative camerawork. The other two, while they obviously look nice, are completely standard "look at the hero" shots that you would get anywhere. Oh, hes's in the dark and there's a bit of light on him! I've seen William Shatner in that Goldeneye position, and a thousand private dicks in the DAD position.

I didn't vote in the last round because all the shots were kind of like that. I love TLD, and I love Tim's reveal, but there's nothing terribly impressive or novel about how that shot looks.

GE - 8
    DAD - 3
    SP - 4

GE comfortably in the lead it seems.

I'll give it two more days, see if the tension rises. If not, we have our two finalists by Monday at midnight CET :)
    One semi-final is not like the other. Our second finalist is GE:

GOLDENEYE
    Goldeneye-0029.jpg

I'll be back soon to open the big final voting lines :)
  • edited March 26 Posts: 646
    Spectre, easily.

I like the composition in the shot, and it's also out of a scene absolutely full of beautiful and imaginative camerawork. The other two, while they obviously look nice, are completely standard "look at the hero" shots that you would get anywhere. Oh, hes's in the dark and there's a bit of light on him! I've seen William Shatner in that Goldeneye position, and a thousand private dicks in the DAD position.

I didn't vote in the last round because all the shots were kind of like that. I love TLD, and I love Tim's reveal, but there's nothing terribly impressive or novel about how that shot looks.
    I’m sorry but I don’t see what’s so special or original about a guy looking off into the distance. We’ve seen this stuff before. Nothing new there. Give me a stealthy looking Bond like Pierce peaking from behind a wall in the shadows in GE any day! That shot from SP actually looks like a postcard. Nothing Bondian about it.

Actually that’s been my issue with these last few films. As good looking as they may be they come across too much like postcards to me. Too pristine, too neat, too painting-like. I like my film to look a bit more realistic. None of the 60s Bonds have that perfect postcard look yet they do a great job of telling a story AS WELL AS drawing me in to want to come and visit all those places. That’s how a Bond film should look! Even when it comes to 80s Bonds I get more out of Alan Hume’s cinematography than these last few Bonds (aside from Roger Deakins). Watching FYEO or OP I get more out of those locations than the last few Bonds. The cinematography fits the story perfectly and beautifully captures the locations with a realistic look. Instead of a fake-looking postcard look that’s been run through several filters and touched up to death.
    Spectre, easily.

I’m sorry but I don’t see what’s so special or original about a guy looking off into the distance. We’ve seen this stuff before. Nothing new there. Give me a stealthy looking Bond like Pierce peaking from behind a wall in the shadows in GE any day! That shot from SP actually looks like a postcard. Nothing Bondian about it.

Well, I don't think any of these shots are the best of their era, of their films, or in many cases, of their scenes. There's a lowest-common-denominator quality here. All six not only feature James Bond, but James Bond posing in a Bondian way. The Spectre one is the only one with anything more interesting than Captain Kirk lighting, and I also find that one a somewhat strange choice for that film, or for the Craig era.
    Spectre, easily.

Well, I don't think any of these shots are the best of their era, of their films, or in many cases, of their scenes. There's a lowest-common-denominator quality here. All six not only feature James Bond, but James Bond posing in a Bondian way. The Spectre one is the only one with anything more interesting than Captain Kirk lighting, and I also find that one a somewhat strange choice for that film, or for the Craig era.
    Well, that’s just the thing. It’s not Bondian. It’s a postcard shot. But also the color filters in SP are a big turn-off for me so I can’t really say too much good about that film. The GE shot has a cool techno-noir feel to it which permeates the film as a whole and makes it unique in the franchise. SP as a whole looks either yellow or smoky or washed out. Definitely not my thing.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited March 27 Posts: 4,312
    Spectre, easily.

Well, that’s just the thing. It’s not Bondian. It’s a postcard shot. But also the color filters in SP are a big turn-off for me so I can’t really say too much good about that film. The GE shot has a cool techno-noir feel to it which permeates the film as a whole and makes it unique in the franchise. SP as a whole looks either yellow or smoky or washed out. Definitely not my thing.

You have to view the finalist in light of how they were selected. They competed in a round system first against all other suggested images from the same film and only later against each other. Suggest one image from a Bond movie that encapsulates what you think is most Bondian and then scroll back to see where it lost against some other image.

It is just a game and everyone will view some other image as most iconic. The one where Connery leans against the AM did not even compete, because only screenshots were allowed and that was a publicity still. One day we can play this game with publicity material, maybe then a worthy winner is more obvious.
    edited March 27 Posts: 1,691
    Well it looks like people voted for shots that most resemble publicity stills! I guess if it's about the most Bondian shot, and "most Bondian" means they pointed the camera at James Bond, then it does make more sense to me.
    Well, that’s just the thing. It’s not Bondian. It’s a postcard shot.

received-1191932578441421.jpg

Is this less Bondian and more "postcard-like" because of its contrived composition? I don't really follow. This stuff didn't start with Spectre or Skyfall or the Craig era. (Though it did get better.)

Goldeneye isn't a bad-looking movie, but I'm not sure it's "techno noir" as much as it's just a movie from 1995. In any case, shots more imaginative than this Morticia Addams one are all over that movie too.

Well just my two cents of course, but back when we were voting per film I always voted for what I considered the most beautiful shot, which wasn't always the most iconic one.

I see why the shots here were chosen, and I quite like all of them. But it seems iconicness has overall been considered as the most important part of a shot.

As for the competition, I will open the lines tomorrow :)
    edited March 27 Posts: 8,034
    Yes, it seems like iconography definitely had a big part to play and that's certainly understandable. However, a lot of the choices put forward, including the GF one above, manage to be both iconic and attractive in their own right. I also quite like the SP choice, even if I didn't vote for it ultimately.

Best not to turn yet another thread into a debate by throwing terms like "Bondian" and "contrived composition" around; just focus on the voting. Don't sour the mood, folks. :)

Nicely put, @GoldenGun.
    Whatever processes were behind people's votes, it's nice to see the widely-loathed DAD and SP getting some deserved positive attention! TMWTGG too, to some extent!

I've seen surveys of the world's funniest joke where people of various cultures are asked to vote, and what you end up with is a joke that is the least unfunny to the largest number of people, and probably not the funniest joke in the world.
    Yes, it seems like iconography definitely had a big part to play and that's certainly understandable. However, a lot of the choices put forward, including the GF one above, manage to be both iconic and attractive in their own right. I also quite like the SP choice, even if I didn't vote for it ultimately.

Best not to turn yet another thread into a debate by throwing terms like "Bondian" and "contrived composition" around; just focus on the voting. Don't sour the mood, folks. :)

Quite right, @CraigMooreOHMSS!
    Whatever processes were behind people's votes, it's nice to see the widely-loathed DAD and SP getting some deserved positive attention! TMWTGG too, to some extent!

Indeed, I was delighted about that too!
    Okay folks, this is the big one!

The big final between Tim's introduction in TLD and Pierce's in GE!

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
    The_Living_Daylights_006.jpg?bwg=1648733311

GOLDENEYE
    Goldeneye-0029.jpg

Please vote for your favourite :)
    TLD

Fair enough! But to be clear on one thing, I only meant "contrived" in the sense of "deliberate". I used it to describe the shots I most admired! :)

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Definitely GE from these two.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    GE
    GoldenEye of these two.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    TLD
    TLD for me too.

So that makes:

TLD - 3