Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 22 Posts: 2,928
    mtm wrote: »
    Do people at the Sun really sometimes just sit down and completely make up stories?

Yes.

If that really is the case, I don't understand how they can do that. Don't they feel bad when they write a completely fabricated story? No moral compass? No journalistic integrity?
    Nail. Head. Exactly that - The Sun has no journalistic integrity and their journalists and editor certainly have no moral compass whatsoever. It's not just showbiz yarns they concoct - newsagents in Liverpool still refuse to sell the Sun because of the blatant and vile lies they printed about the Hillsborough Disaster in 1989 (The Sun actually claimed on its front page that Liverpool fans urinated on the dying!). It really is a worthless rag of the very worst kind.
    peter wrote: »
    Do people at the Sun really sometimes just sit down and completely make up stories? I mean them hearing insider rumours about AJT and reporting it as a done deal is different from completely making it up. If they completely make up stories, how is that not illegal?

I still think with this one there is some evidence or grain of truth in the story. I doubt it is 100% made up.

Maybe ATJ hasn't officially even had an audition yet, let alone been chosen for the part, as many here have rightly pointed out - there is no script or director on board (as far as we know).

BUT - maybe someone in the know, close to Barbara, a friend-of-a-friend has heard on the grapevine that she is keen on ATJ as a potential new Bond, maybe a private conversation between 2 people that has been leaked, and someone in The Scum has ran with it - a few times now.

Nah, it was made up.

It was a hoax and The Sun’s track record since 2022 regarding Bond Reports are banking on readers to have a heavy dose of amnesia.

I mean, just read their “breaking news” article on ATJ. Nothing about that was even close to reality.

Like the Dougray Scott article back in the day, this had quotes from “sources” and the usual “it’s his job”, he’s “going to sign by end of the week”…

Lots of “details” that amounted to nothing, a big fat zero.

It was a hoax. That’s it.

EDIT: @jetsetwilly , a reminder of the breaking Sun stories since Craig departed the role:

June 12, 2022: The Sun claims Idris Elba “is now being considered” to play James Bond “after ranking highly in market research tests.” Oh, really?

Nov. 27, 2022: The tabloid claims Aaron Taylor-Johnson “is a surprise frontrunner to become the next James Bond after he took part in a top-secret screen test.” This story kicked off Aaron Taylor-Johnson fever for a time.

Dec. 10, 2022: The Sun now claims that Taylor-Johnson has filmed a gunbarrel sequence and Eon Productions “looks to reveal the franchise’s new star in March (2023).” Such an announcement never materializes.

Dec. 9, 2023: You can’t keep a good tabloid down. The Sun now says Eon is seeking two actors to play Bond at two stages of life, one younger and one older, with Paul Mescal as a possibility as a younger Bond.

The story has this line: “Rumours about 007’s potential replacement have been swirling for years.” Yeah. And The Sun has been stirring the pot for those rumors.

March 7, 2024: The Sun comes out with a new story that Cillian Murphy, 47, the star of Oppenheimer, is a new favorite to play Bond. If this comes to pass, he’d be the oldest actor for a Bond debut in an Eon film. Roger Moore was in his mid-40s when he filmed Live And Let Die.

(From The Spy Command)

The Sun wants nothing more than clicks. No one in their right minds would leak anything to these guys. They’re a joke.

Best off referring to that gutter trash tabloid rag as The Scum. What's more annoying is how this story has been picked up globally as though it could actually be happening.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 22 Posts: 14,960
    Do people at the Sun really sometimes just sit down and completely make up stories?

Yes.

If that really is the case, I don't understand how they can do that. Don't they feel bad when they write a completely fabricated story? No moral compass? No journalistic integrity?

Well just look at what they did in the Huw Edwards case if you want a recent example of integrity, or lack of it. This Bond news is at least completely harmless.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A trash story from a dubious tabloid, but for ATJ and EoN, the equivalent of millions of dollars in free publicity and exposure.
    talos7 wrote: »
    A trash story from a dubious tabloid, but for ATJ and EoN, the equivalent of millions of dollars in free publicity and exposure.

If EON want free publicity they just have to talk.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Yep, and that’s why they’re fearless with their trash…. No harm, no foul, 😂.

It’s a lesson to wait for reputable sources and not to believe the “noise”…..
    edited March 22 Posts: 7,980

It would not gain a fraction of the traction that this story achieved; it’s a sad but harsh reality.

Also, I’m not saying that it’s something that they were seeking, but they’ll surely take it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Thankfully, EON isn’t James Gunn. They don’t sit on Twitter or Threads telling people whether certain scoops are true or not. It’s a waste of time. Why bother when the truth will come out when production starts anyway?
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Thankfully, EON isn’t James Gunn. They don’t sit on Twitter or Threads telling people whether certain scoops are true or not. It’s a waste of time. Why bother when the truth will come out when production starts anyway?

Free publicity but this time with real news.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 22 Posts: 14,960

It would not gain a fraction of the traction that this story achieved; it’s a sad but harsh reality.

No it's not; when they announce the next Bond it will be front page news everywhere, quite literally. It will dwarf this silly story.
    But they only talk when they have something to say.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 22 Posts: 5,869

…which would last about five minutes because if their comment is “ATj isn’t our Bond”, the story would die faster than it is, with only the few who would think they’re lying continuing to hype him up. The longer people are unsure of the truth, the more they’ll discuss both options. Also, speaking hypothetically, if it was true, EON are even less likely to comment, so overall, EON should and will say nothing until they want to announce it on their own terms.

…which would last about five minutes because if their comment is “ATj isn’t our Bond”, the story would die faster than it is, with only the few who would think they’re lying continuing to hype him up. The longer people are unsure of the truth, the more they’ll discuss both options. Also, speaking hypothetically, if it was true, EON are even less likely to comment, so overall, EON should and will say nothing until they want to announce it on their own terms.

"Their own terms", that's the problem. They need new terms.

;)

No it's not; when they announce the next Bond it will be front page news everywhere, quite literally. It will dwarf this silly story.
    But they only talk when they have something to say.

I’m not talking about the formal announcement of a new film; obviously they are nowhere near that point. No doubt that will receive massive coverage.

It was said, “ If EON want free publicity they just have to talk.” About what? Shy of announcing details of a new production it would not get the attention that this trash story received.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    echo wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »
    Who's the modern equivalent of Daniel Craig, though? Dan was literally the best British actor of his generation. I don't see anyone who's clearly head and shoulders above his contemporaries in this era.

Paul Mescal.

Interesting. Gave me a slightly new perspective on him, in an open way.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Ok, I get what you're saying and I know the last few years have been rough in certain ways for certain fans, but let's talk hypothetically again. What if the scoop that The Sun got was true? and ATJ was about to sign a contract, it wouldn't matter, because it would never force EON's hand. They would never give in and go "alright, you got us, here he is". They'd stick to whatever plans they have in place and announce the news when they're ready.

So overall, either way, it makes sense that EON have said and will continue to say nothing.
    peter wrote: »
    Do people at the Sun really sometimes just sit down and completely make up stories? I mean them hearing insider rumours about AJT and reporting it as a done deal is different from completely making it up. If they completely make up stories, how is that not illegal?

I still think with this one there is some evidence or grain of truth in the story. I doubt it is 100% made up.

Maybe ATJ hasn't officially even had an audition yet, let alone been chosen for the part, as many here have rightly pointed out - there is no script or director on board (as far as we know).

BUT - maybe someone in the know, close to Barbara, a friend-of-a-friend has heard on the grapevine that she is keen on ATJ as a potential new Bond, maybe a private conversation between 2 people that has been leaked, and someone in The Scum has ran with it - a few times now.

Nah, it was made up.

It was a hoax and The Sun’s track record since 2022 regarding Bond Reports are banking on readers to have a heavy dose of amnesia.

I mean, just read their “breaking news” article on ATJ. Nothing about that was even close to reality.

Like the Dougray Scott article back in the day, this had quotes from “sources” and the usual “it’s his job”, he’s “going to sign by end of the week”…

Lots of “details” that amounted to nothing, a big fat zero.

It was a hoax. That’s it.

EDIT: @jetsetwilly , a reminder of the breaking Sun stories since Craig departed the role:

June 12, 2022: The Sun claims Idris Elba “is now being considered” to play James Bond “after ranking highly in market research tests.” Oh, really?

Nov. 27, 2022: The tabloid claims Aaron Taylor-Johnson “is a surprise frontrunner to become the next James Bond after he took part in a top-secret screen test.” This story kicked off Aaron Taylor-Johnson fever for a time.

Dec. 10, 2022: The Sun now claims that Taylor-Johnson has filmed a gunbarrel sequence and Eon Productions “looks to reveal the franchise’s new star in March (2023).” Such an announcement never materializes.

Dec. 9, 2023: You can’t keep a good tabloid down. The Sun now says Eon is seeking two actors to play Bond at two stages of life, one younger and one older, with Paul Mescal as a possibility as a younger Bond.

The story has this line: “Rumours about 007’s potential replacement have been swirling for years.” Yeah. And The Sun has been stirring the pot for those rumors.

March 7, 2024: The Sun comes out with a new story that Cillian Murphy, 47, the star of Oppenheimer, is a new favorite to play Bond. If this comes to pass, he’d be the oldest actor for a Bond debut in an Eon film. Roger Moore was in his mid-40s when he filmed Live And Let Die.

(From The Spy Command)

The Sun wants nothing more than clicks. No one in their right minds would leak anything to these guys. They’re a joke.

Thank you for cataloguing all their nonsense.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I believe Barbara was eyeing Craig long before a script was written and a director was chosen. It's possible someone has heard her saying ATJ is the man, but she would still organize screentests, like she did with Craig. Another thing is, looking closely at ATJ, he looks a bit like the last three Bonds. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong or right, but just my thinking, though that ATJ could well be him.
  • edited March 22 Posts: 2,901
    Anyone have any predictions who the next actor to get caught up in the rumour mill/tabloids for Bond will be? I feel they'll go back to a classic like Idris Elba or Aidan Turner before another completely random name is thrown about... promptly followed by some sort of claim that ATJ's odds of getting the role have now been drastically lowered or something.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Anyone have any predictions who the next actor to get caught up in the rumour mill/tabloids for Bond will be? I feel they'll go back to a classic like Idris Elba or Aidan Turner before another completely random name is thrown about... promptly followed by some sort of claim that ATJ's odds of getting the role have now been drastically lowered or something.

I can see Theo James being the next tabloid fodder.
  • edited March 22 Posts: 704
    Tom Bateman flies under the radar and I don't know why.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm surprised there wasn't more of it when The Gentlemen was released. Seems that moment might have passed.
    Tom Bateman flies under the radar and I don't know why.
    I don't think he's in the public eye enough. The average viewer/reader probably doesn't even know who he is.
    Callum got the tiniest amount of attention around the release of Boys in the Boat and Masters of the Air, but it went no further and I can't see his name being thrown back into the ring as ATJ has.
    Benny wrote: »
    A 60's, 70's or 80's Bond wouldn't be accepted by audiences today. The series and the character have evolved.

What would today's audiences reject in a 60s, 70s, or 80s Bond?
    CrabKey wrote: »
    A 60's, 70's or 80's Bond wouldn't be accepted by audiences today. The series and the character have evolved.

This opens a can of worms and could actually be its own topic. Lol.

Plenty.

Connery semi-raping in the barn in GF, his inappropriate blackmail behaviour in the shower with one of the staff in TB, strangling a female with her bra in DAF, Lazenby sleeping around with female patients in OHMSS while supposedly in love with the girl he would then marry, Moore violently slapping Maud Adams around, then later sleeping with her while Ekland is pushed into a closet and told to stay there in TMWTGG, etc.

By the mid 80's even before Dalton came on the scene, Bond's antics calmed down considerably from the 60's and 70's.

Now that is odd, isn’t it? One would’ve thought that the success of The Gentlemen would have ignited that particular fuse, for the publicity alone, but it didn’t. I guess Theo has marked his limit on that more than enough.
    Univex wrote: »

Now that is odd, isn’t it? One would’ve thought that the success of The Gentlemen would have ignited that particular fuse, for the publicity alone, but it didn’t. I guess Theo has marked his limit on that more than enough.

His reluctance seems sincere…
  • edited March 22 Posts: 6,677
    Univex wrote: »

His reluctance seems sincere…

It does. And to be frank, at this point, I’d rather he commited to several seasons of The Gentlemen than to Bond.
    Bond isn’t coming anytime soon. And if I’m wrong, I’ll be happy about it.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Ok, I get what you're saying and I know the last few years have been rough in certain ways for certain fans, but let's talk hypothetically again. What if the scoop that The Sun got was true? and ATJ was about to sign a contract, it wouldn't matter, because it would never force EON's hand. They would never give in and go "alright, you got us, here he is". They'd stick to whatever plans they have in place and announce the news when they're ready.

So overall, either way, it makes sense that EON have said and will continue to say nothing.

Didn’t EoN speed up the Craig announcement because the rags got to Craig’s mum, and she inadvertently told them he had signed, therefore expediting his reveal (he was still shooting, or doing re-shoots for Invasion, and had to get back sooner than expected)?

And no @DEKE_RIVERS , they make the films, they’re in control, they don’t need “new terms”. Who runs any business like that???

Plenty.

Connery semi-raping in the barn in GF, his inappropriate blackmail behaviour in the shower with one of the staff in TB, strangling a female with her bra in DAF, Lazenby sleeping around with female patients in OHMSS while supposedly in love with the girl he would then marry, Moore violently slapping Maud Adams around, then later sleeping with her while Ekland is pushed into a closet and told to stay there in TMWTGG, etc.

By the mid 80's even before Dalton came on the scene, Bond's antics calmed down considerably from the 60's and 70's.

I thought there might have been something new I hadn't read before. Perhaps something along the lines of style, tone, setting, etc.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Plenty.

I thought there might have been something new I hadn't read before. Perhaps something along the lines of style, tone, setting, etc.

The 60s is timeless when it comes to tone/style and settings …

But yeah, the other stuff is very problematic if a Bond today slapped Tatiana or pulled the barn scene or whipped off a bikini top to strangle a woman.

As far as slapping or hitting women, I’m pretty sure Fleming’s Bond never did that…