Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

peter wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    bondywondy wrote: »
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I just don't really see this guy as Bond at all. Wrong voice, wrong way about him.

I don't need an "obvious" choice for Bond. I was all for Craig when he was announced because despite not looking like the previous Bonds he had a few scene-stealing performances behind him (Munich for example) and a good presence. ATJ seems like a lightweight.

Yeah, he's not exactly a Timothy Dalton 'I'm a serious actor' type. ;)) He sounds like some reality TV star.

Big Brother Bond.

=))

But he is an actor so he can transform into a secret agent and wow Barbara Broccoli and she'll offer him a 7 film contract over the next 30 years. 🤭

Yeah, I don’t think this guy is wowing BB, or EoN…

How sure are you

Why? Are you considering purchasing one of my Blockbuster Stores?

How is the location?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I just don't really see this guy as Bond at all. Wrong voice, wrong way about him.

I don't need an "obvious" choice for Bond. I was all for Craig when he was announced because despite not looking like the previous Bonds he had a few scene-stealing performances behind him (Munich for example) and a good presence. ATJ seems like a lightweight.

Yeah, he's not exactly a Timothy Dalton 'I'm a serious actor' type. ;)) He sounds like some reality TV star.

Big Brother Bond.

=))

But he is an actor so he can transform into a secret agent and wow Barbara Broccoli and she'll offer him a 7 film contract over the next 30 years. 🤭

How sure are you

How is the location?

Ocean view.
    ATJ is clearly very comfortable giving interviews. And he seems to be much more comfortable in his own skin than Craig. And I am saying this as a big Daniel Craig fan!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Big Brother Bond.

=))

How sure are you

How is the location?

Ocean view.

The Last Blockbuster is in Bend, Oregon , which is a beautiful state.

https://bendblockbuster.com/
    Wanted Cavill, but I'm fine with ATJ as long as they in post give him a higher pitch voice.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »

Big Brother Bond.

=))

How sure are you

How is the location?

Ocean view.

The Last Blockbuster is in Bend, Oregon , which is a beautiful state.

https://bendblockbuster.com/

🤫 @talos7 … I’m trying to sell *my* Blockbuster Stores 🤫
  • edited March 22 Posts: 9,771

Big Brother Bond.

=))

How sure are you

How is the location?

Ocean view.

Is the price fair

And can i trade you my multiple Radio Shack stores?
    Craig was a very good Bond. But the best actor of his generation? Has any previous
    Bond been that? The best actor of a generation doesn't mean they'd be a great Bond. Christian Bale is a much better actor than Craig. But would he have been a better Bond? Doesn't seem likely.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Craig was a very good Bond. But the best actor of his generation? Has any previous
    Bond been that? The best actor of a generation doesn't mean they'd be a great Bond. Christian Bale is a much better actor than Craig. But would he have been a better Bond? Doesn't seem likely.

Well Christian Bale had two offers batman or Bond and he choose Batman
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    e1f379a5-4b99-45aa-bbde-cdce9fce28af_text.gif

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 22 Posts: 2,928
    No, I wouldn't say that any previous Bond actor has been anything like the best actor of his generation. Nor even the best British actor of his generation. IMO, obvs. Ironically, Craig's reputation and standing as an actor was probably a lot higher in the '90s and early '00s from British tv and indie films than it is now, when he's arguably seen as more of a 'star' than a great actor. Our Friends in the North, Sword of Honour, Archangel, Copenhagen, Some Voices, The Mother, Enduring Love - Craig wasn't famous like Bale, but in the UK he was really highly regarded as an exceptional actor in that period. I doubt we'll ever again have an actor of Dan's calibre as Bond. NTTD Blofeld interrogation scene notwithstanding, obviously...cough.

Bale was cast to play Batman in September 2003: https://www.ign.com/articles/2003/09/11/its-official-christian-bale-is-batman

Are you saying he was offered to play Bond in 2003?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Venutius wrote: »
    Who's the modern equivalent of Daniel Craig, though? Dan was literally the best British actor of his generation. I don't see anyone who's clearly head and shoulders above his contemporaries in this era.

Paul Mescal.

Bale was cast to play Batman in September 2003: https://www.ign.com/articles/2003/09/11/its-official-christian-bale-is-batman

Are you saying he was offered to play Bond in 2003?

Thats What legendary insider Jett said and honestly i believe him hence why this ATJ stuff might not be as silly as many here believe
  • edited March 22 Posts: 3,279

Big Brother Bond.

=))

What will happen if he does get chosen eventually? I'll repost this so it haunts you.... ;))

Personally I would love James Theo to be chosen. Can't stop watching The Gentlemen right now, and I think he would be a superb choice.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Big Brother Bond.

=))

What will happen if he does get chosen eventually? I'll repost this so it haunts you.... ;))

Personally I would love James Theo to be chosen. Can't stop watching The Gentlemen right now, and I think he would be a superb choice.

That's how sure I am that The Sun story was a hoax right from Day One, and how comfortable I feel in my gut that this guy just doesn't have "it", to play Bond.

In the end, IF ATJ is chosen, and that's a very big IF, I'll have to go with the knowledge that EoN has always chosen well. I would never have chosen Brosnan in a million years, and I was very happy with Dalton. But, Brosnan was indeed the right man for the job at the time.

Saying that, yeah, I can't see ATJ as Bond. Not today (isn't there a contract he should be signing?), and not in a month, or year from now, or five years from now.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Big Brother Bond.

=))

That's how sure I am that The Sun story was a hoax right from Day One, and how comfortable I feel in my gut that this guy just doesn't have "it", to play Bond.

In the end, IF ATJ is chosen, and that's a very big IF, I'll have to go with the knowledge that EoN has always chosen well. I would never have chosen Brosnan in a million years, and I was very happy with Dalton. But, Brosnan was indeed the right man for the job at the time.

Saying that, yeah, I can't see ATJ as Bond. Not today (isn't there a contract he should be signing?), and not in a month, or year from now, or five years from now.

Whom would you have chosen to play Bond in GE instead of Pierce @peter ?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Benny wrote: »

Big Brother Bond.

=))

I’d have liked Dalton to stay, or Fiennes or Neeson…. But would have been very happy to keep Dalton— and that was the incorrect choice. Brosnan was the right one. To keep 007 fresh and moving forward…
    I think Brosnan was better than the movies they gave him IMO.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Pierce was clearly the man for the job in the mid nineties. He wasn't the greatest Bond, but he wasn't a terrible Bond either.
    At the time of his movies he was the best man to keep the series going. As the series has progressed, so too has the style and audience. A 60's, 70's or 80's Bond wouldn't be accepted by audiences today. The series and the character have evolved.
    This is how and why the Bond films have continued in my opinion, through evolution.
    Benny wrote: »

Big Brother Bond.

=))

I’d have liked Dalton to stay, or Fiennes or Neeson…. But would have been very happy to keep Dalton— and that was the incorrect choice. Brosnan was the right one. To keep 007 fresh and moving forward…

Yes I agree. I would have loved Dalton to have stayed on, but he didn't have the BO draw that Brozza had, sadly.
  • edited March 22 Posts: 2,901
    Honestly, I'd genuinely say that Brosnan's performance in GE is one of the best of the series. I'd go as far as to say it's a more layered one than Dalton's in LTK (although they are undeniably different). I think he's pretty good in TND and parts of DAD too.

It's only when they tried to get him to act outside his range in TWINE that it fell apart (ie. a less assured Bond trying to process the idea that he's potentially been betrayed by someone he's fallen for... not that the direction or script helps, but Brosnan isn't a Daniel Craig and it comes off as cringey). But for sure, for a lot of people Brosnan is very much their Bond.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd genuinely say that Brosnan's performance in GE is one of the best of the series. I'd go as far as to say it's a more layered one than Dalton's in LTK (although they are undeniably different). I think he's pretty good in TND and parts of DAD too.

It's only when they tried to get him to act outside his range in TWINE that it fell apart (ie. a less assured Bond trying to process the idea that he's potentially been betrayed by someone he's fallen for... not that the direction or script helps, but Brosnan isn't a Daniel Craig and it comes off as cringey). But for sure, for a lot of people Brosnan is very much their Bond.

Naa, I draw the line at comparing Brosnan with Dalton in LTK. Brozza had his strengths but he couldn't compete in the acting stakes against Dalton.

For me Dalton in LTK is still single-handedly the best performance by any actor I have seen play Bond, particularly Fleming Bond.

In LTK that is as close to the Fleming incarnation as you can get, and no one else has come close, with the exception of Connery in FRWL, and Craig in CR and SF.
    Do people at the Sun really sometimes just sit down and completely make up stories? I mean them hearing insider rumours about AJT and reporting it as a done deal is different from completely making it up. If they completely make up stories, how is that not illegal?
  • edited March 22 Posts: 3,279
    Do people at the Sun really sometimes just sit down and completely make up stories? I mean them hearing insider rumours about AJT and reporting it as a done deal is different from completely making it up. If they completely make up stories, how is that not illegal?

I still think with this one there is some evidence or grain of truth in the story. I doubt it is 100% made up.

Maybe ATJ hasn't officially even had an audition yet, let alone been chosen for the part, as many here have rightly pointed out - there is no script or director on board (as far as we know).

BUT - maybe someone in the know, close to Barbara, a friend-of-a-friend has heard on the grapevine that she is keen on ATJ as a potential new Bond, maybe a private conversation between 2 people that has been leaked, and someone in The Scum has ran with it - a few times now.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 22 Posts: 8,505

I still think with this one there is some evidence or grain of truth in the story. I doubt it is 100% made up.

Maybe ATJ hasn't officially even had an audition yet, let alone been chosen for the part, as many here have rightly pointed out - there is no script or director on board (as far as we know).

BUT - maybe someone in the know, close to Barbara, a friend-of-a-friend has heard on the grapevine that she is keen on ATJ as a potential new Bond, maybe a private conversation between 2 people that has been leaked, and someone in The Scum has ran with it - a few times now.

Nah, it was made up.

It was a hoax and The Sun’s track record since 2022 regarding Bond Reports are banking on readers to have a heavy dose of amnesia.

I mean, just read their “breaking news” article on ATJ. Nothing about that was even close to reality.

Like the Dougray Scott article back in the day, this had quotes from “sources” and the usual “it’s his job”, he’s “going to sign by end of the week”…

Lots of “details” that amounted to nothing, a big fat zero.

It was a hoax. That’s it.

EDIT: @jetsetwilly , a reminder of the breaking Sun stories since Craig departed the role:

June 12, 2022: The Sun claims Idris Elba “is now being considered” to play James Bond “after ranking highly in market research tests.” Oh, really?

Nov. 27, 2022: The tabloid claims Aaron Taylor-Johnson “is a surprise frontrunner to become the next James Bond after he took part in a top-secret screen test.” This story kicked off Aaron Taylor-Johnson fever for a time.

Dec. 10, 2022: The Sun now claims that Taylor-Johnson has filmed a gunbarrel sequence and Eon Productions “looks to reveal the franchise’s new star in March (2023).” Such an announcement never materializes.

Dec. 9, 2023: You can’t keep a good tabloid down. The Sun now says Eon is seeking two actors to play Bond at two stages of life, one younger and one older, with Paul Mescal as a possibility as a younger Bond.

The story has this line: “Rumours about 007’s potential replacement have been swirling for years.” Yeah. And The Sun has been stirring the pot for those rumors.

March 7, 2024: The Sun comes out with a new story that Cillian Murphy, 47, the star of Oppenheimer, is a new favorite to play Bond. If this comes to pass, he’d be the oldest actor for a Bond debut in an Eon film. Roger Moore was in his mid-40s when he filmed Live And Let Die.

(From The Spy Command)

The Sun wants nothing more than clicks. No one in their right minds would leak anything to these guys. They’re a joke.

Naa, I draw the line at comparing Brosnan with Dalton in LTK. Brozza had his strengths but he couldn't compete in the acting stakes against Dalton.

For me Dalton in LTK is still single-handedly the best performance by any actor I have seen play Bond, particularly Fleming Bond.

In LTK that is as close to the Fleming incarnation as you can get, and no one else has come close, with the exception of Connery in FRWL, and Craig in CR and SF.

I’d say Dalton’s performance is great - wonderfully intense, dramatic. It’s almost theatrical in the best way possible for film. You really feel this is a Bond hell bent on getting what he wants.

Brosnan’s performance in GE by contrast is breezy, more humorous, and much more a ‘film’ performance for me. While Dalton’s acting is expressive and goes ‘big’ without being hammy (ie. When he discovers Felix and Dela’s bodies), Brosnan in GE will by contrast give a little shift in expression that tells the audience exactly what he’s thinking.

It might well be very competent direction on GE’s part (Dalton is by far the better actor of the two) but they’re two different performances which play to both actor’s strengths. My personal preference is that Bond - even Fleming’s Bond, who contrary to what some say could be quite funny and relaxed - should have those different facets. For some reason Dalton never quite nailed the humour of the character, that ability to look death in the face with a wry smile.

But I do agree, along with Connery in FRWL and Craig in SF, LTK and GE have the most Fleming esque interpretations/Bond performances of the series. I’d say both are top tier Bond performances.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 22 Posts: 14,961

Yes, for me Brosnan knew what the job was: to be a star in a blockbuster movie, and he's great at that. Dalton couldn't, didn't or wasn't directed to do that, and I think that's why audiences were lukewarm on him.
    It's just my point of view, I don't pretend I'm objectively right about that.
    Do people at the Sun really sometimes just sit down and completely make up stories?

Yes.
    mtm wrote: »
    Do people at the Sun really sometimes just sit down and completely make up stories?

Yes.

If that really is the case, I don't understand how they can do that. Don't they feel bad when they write a completely fabricated story? No moral compass? No journalistic integrity?

Yes, for me Brosnan knew what the job was: to be a star in a blockbuster movie, and he's great at that. Dalton couldn't, didn't or wasn't directed to do that, and I think that's why audiences were lukewarm on him.
    It's just my point of view, I don't pretend I'm objectively right about that.

I suppose a lot of it came down to Dalton's interpretation of Fleming's Bond (not to say it was the 'right' one by any means - just his own individual interpretation) and how consciously he wanted to separate himself from the previous actors. I mean, Dalton has done comedy in the past and is quite adept at it. And yet in LTK he almost spits out some of his one liners to the point some of them become clunkers. I suspect with a third film it could have been ironed out.

Yes.

If that really is the case, I don't understand how they can do that. Don't they feel bad when they write a completely fabricated story? No moral compass? No journalistic integrity?

Why would they feel bad? Free publicity for all involved. The Sun has done far worse and consequential things so while this may have annoyed a few casual Bond fans, it doesn't really have much real world impact.