Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    bondywondy wrote: »
    I don't think Henry Cavill and Idris Elba have ever been popular. The internet/social media can brainwash people to think certain actors are popular but the box office stats tell the harsh reality.

In 2015 The Man From Uncle made $110,045,109 worldwide.

In 2015 Spectre made $880,707,597 worldwide. Seven times more money.

Cavill brought zero fanbase to Uncle.

In 2017 The Dark Tower starring Idris Elba made $113,231,078 worldwide. Idris Elba brought zero fanbase to that planned franchise.
    By 2019, producer Ron Howard was silent on any discussion of a sequel when he admitted that the film had failed to capture the basis of the Dark Tower source material, because they had tried to reduce it to PG-13 rather than the dark R-rated horror story it should have been

Noone supported Elba nor Cavill.

Cavill was front and center promotion for Argylle. So called 'popular' Henry Cavill didn't equal box office.
    Box office
    As of March 19, 2024, Argylle has grossed $45.2 million in the United States and Canada, and $50.7 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $95.9 million. Variety noted that for a traditional studio release, the film would need to gross around $500 million worldwide to break even.

Argylle is one of the biggest flops in film history. Apple may have lost 400 million dollars on the film 😧 so if you think Eon Productions want to hire an actor with a 400 million dollar loss on his resume, I doubt it! Same with Elba.

To be fair it's not their fault if people don't want to see their films, but from Eon's perspective they don't need the hassle of hiring Cavill or whoever if they have an awful box office history. If you want to be a film star and your films flop you can't expect Eon to pay you top dollar to be Bond.

Of course hardly anyone thinks about that when they post social media comments like the ones here:

https://www.gbnews.com/celebrity/henry-cavill-james-bond-snub-aaron-taylor-johnson

None consider Argylle may have lost Apple 400 million dollars (apparently it's a stinker so maybe it was fated to fail!) and none consider the possibility Cavill would still want a hefty fee for a three or four film Bond contract. People don't think like that!

They just say "Cavill must be Bond!"

Yeah, well, good luck convincing Babs and MG to spend 100 million or so dollars (or rather Amazon's dollars) on Cavill. That could be the amount he'd want over four films given a pay increase per each film. 100 million to play Bond in all films vs his last film Argylle losing 400 million. Kinda not worth it. I think Babs and MG will pass on Henry.🤭

I think the sole reason Argylle hasn't done well is the horrendous trailers they've put out. I mean, making a spy movie with Cavill as a sort of Bond but then with his hair like that just screams 'far-worse-than-CR'69-Bond_parody', and maybe the CR69 reference isn't known to everybody, the effect is the same. There's no story (in the trailer), there's stupid CGI, etc.
    Cavill did well in 'The Witcher', which made him popular. And MI:fallout.

Personally I think Vaugn is the sole reason Argylle bombed, but I'm biased against anything that's in the style of Kingsman.

I don't understand how one go from Layer Cake to things like that. But then again, I never understood how the director of 'once were worriors' could make something like DAD.

Guy Richie on the other hand does believe that Cavill has potential, and certainly is still proud of The Man From Uncle, see here:

That one I DO want to see. And for those who claim Cavill can't act, I disagree. Like Brosnan, he's just better when they let him loosen up a bit.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 21 Posts: 2,928
    talos7 wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »
    Tom Ford's got a lower voice than ATJ...?

Who doesn't ? ;)
    :)) Excellent. It's back to Joe Pasquale, I guess...
    One of my favourite Hollywood journalists, Jeff Sneider talked about the ATJ rumour on the Hot Mic podcast today. Interestingly, even though he believes the Sun article is complete BS, he does believe ATJ is the frontrunner.
    One of my favourite Hollywood journalists, Jeff Sneider talked about the ATJ rumour on the Hot Mic podcast today. Interestingly, even though he believes the Sun article is complete BS, he does believe ATJ is the frontrunner.

Again my gut says he is our guy and i am Not an ATJ supporter again i saw him in two films and i don’t remember him in either i mean i saw godzilla I remember ken wantanabe I remember brian cranston uhm I remember godzilla heck i remember Elizabeth olsen don’t remember ATJ….

He just has a look that Babs would go for
  • edited March 22 Posts: 2,900
    Risico007 wrote: »

Again my gut says he is our guy and i am Not an ATJ supporter again i saw him in two films and i don’t remember him in either i mean i saw godzilla I remember ken wantanabe I remember brian cranston uhm I remember godzilla heck i remember Elizabeth olsen don’t remember ATJ….

No auditions, no frontrunner.

It's that simple. It doesn't matter whether ATJ is a favoured candidate or not with EON at this point. It's all about auditions
    007HallY wrote: »

No auditions, no frontrunner.

It's that simple. It doesn't matter whether ATJ is a favoured candidate or not with EON at this point. It's all about auditions

Mr T didn’t audition for BA baracus in the a-team

That doesnt apply here but its still pretty crazy to think about
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Mr. T was a hot commodity and The A Team was created with him in mind. ATJ is not in the same league as Mr. T.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Mr. T was a hot commodity and The A Team was created with him in mind. ATJ is not in the same league as Mr. T.

So your saying Mr T would make a better Bond then Mr ATJ

Yeah i can see that
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 22 Posts: 16,330
    Murdock wrote: »

So your saying Mr T would make a better Bond then Mr ATJ

Yeah i can see that

The man can rock a tux so maybe he is our man.
    4eLkCer.png
    Benny wrote: »
    Hahaha ‘bjmdds’ what a character. I’m not sure how his blood pressure is. He got boiled up over Daniel Craig.
    I’m not sure he or the forum over there will cope if the next Bond isn’t one they approve of.

As too the ATJ news, it appears more and more news sites have picked the story up.
    Even The West Australian in Perth are reporting it…
    https://thewest.com.au/entertainment/actor-set-to-replace-daniel-craig-in-iconic-bond-role-revealed--c-14005707
    October 2005 was when Cr-egg came down the Thames River wearing a life preserver jacket clutching on for his life. Now, 19 years later, the green vegetable, it appears, has chosen a childish momma's boy type, whose wife is old enough to be his mother, as her next creation. ATJ's wife, being a friend to Broccoli, will probably have some input into how to further emasculate the Bond character with their new iteration of the role. Aidan Turner would make a superb Bond but once again, with MGW in perpetual hibernation, Barbara is making ALL of the decisions. Since 2015 there has been ONE Bond film made. At this rate, if chosen, ATJ will be 60 after his run is completed. Can you just picture him premiere night walking the red carpet arm and arm with his motherly wife as the people ask, "is that his mother"? The franchise has been retired to bedlam it appears.

• Nice to meet you too!
    meshypushy wrote: »
    You said a mouthful Meshy! If true, another rotten choice.

meshypushy wrote: »

I don’t want to relate to those craignotbond folk.
    They had an aggressive agenda against an actor unfairly.
    As a Bond fan it was a low point for me.

In a funny way, DCINB actually made me WANT to see Craig succeed even more. He wasn’t my first choice back in the day, but I trusted Eon’s judgement and wanted to give him a fair shot from the get go. If they pick ATJ, I will give him that same chance.

One of the most elating feelings I had as a Bond fan was when CR was coming out and the word of mouth was very strong. Of course, I think that actually made (the few) folks at DCINB even more militant against Craig. I remember their pet theories like believing Craig was only being praised because people felt sorry for him or some nonsense. Or the best one: “CR is for people who don’t like Bond movies”.

It’s been so many years since I visited their forums. I wonder how bjmdds’ sanity has been holding up?
    Hello Python! The insanity has been with what EON has done to the franchise the past 22 years. By killing off Bond, Broccoli tried to end the franchise. Her heart is no longer into this, as her muse, Cr-egg, is past tense, and her insane obsession with the soon to be former actor was her driving force. Bezos at some point will have to buy her out and rid the franchise of that influence.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Still holding an insane grudge against EON and Ms. Broccoli I see @bjmdds
    Sadly you’re in the minority who cling to the past too much.
    Daniel Craig, proved through CR (remember the boycott :)) ) and then another 4 films that he was the right man to carry the series forward.
    We just have to wait and see who the next actor will be.

Also, please don’t multi post. Instead please use the edit post function if you wish to add something new.
    Many thanks, and nice to have you here.
    Things quiet over on that other forum? ;)
    bjmdds wrote: »
    Hahaha ‘bjmdds’ what a character. I’m not sure how his blood pressure is. He got boiled up over Daniel Craig.
    I’m not sure he or the forum over there will cope if the next Bond isn’t one they approve of.

As too the ATJ news, it appears more and more news sites have picked the story up.
    Even The West Australian in Perth are reporting it…
    https://thewest.com.au/entertainment/actor-set-to-replace-daniel-craig-in-iconic-bond-role-revealed--c-14005707
    October 2005 was when Cr-egg came down the Thames River wearing a life preserver jacket clutching on for his life. Now, 19 years later, the green vegetable, it appears, has chosen a childish momma's boy type, whose wife is old enough to be his mother, as her next creation. ATJ's wife, being a friend to Broccoli, will probably have some input into how to further emasculate the Bond character with their new iteration of the role. Aidan Turner would make a superb Bond but once again, with MGW in perpetual hibernation, Barbara is making ALL of the decisions. Since 2015 there has been ONE Bond film made. At this rate, if chosen, ATJ will be 60 after his run is completed. Can you just picture him premiere night walking the red carpet arm and arm with his motherly wife as the people ask, "is that his mother"? The franchise has been retired to bedlam it appears.

Welcome back BJ, old buddy... :-h
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited March 22 Posts: 155
    *crickets*

So far

Cringe alert 🚨

s-l1600.jpg
  • edited March 22 Posts: 2,900
    Seeing as it’s Friday I presume an announcement from EON about ATJ becoming Bond and Nolan as the director are imminent? 🤔

Or did ATJ forget to call them back?
    007HallY wrote: »
    Seeing as it’s Friday I presume an announcement from EON about ATJ becoming Bond and Nolan as the director are imminent? 🤔

Or did ATJ forget to call them back?

Well, he did sign his 'fan photo'
  • edited March 22 Posts: 303
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson's REAL Bond Girl: Inside 'new 007 star's' fiercely private marriage to filmmaker and mother-of-four Sam
    peter wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly

From yesterday's Variety:

Sources close to Taylor-Johnson downplayed the report and said he has not been cast as Bond, but technically anything is possible in the future.

This has been a hoax. No, I don't think someone as big as Nolan could be kept secret, with a secret script, and with a coronation of one actor (whether ATJ or someone else).

Looking at the time line of the strikes, when did you expect this secret script to have been written and ready for Nolan to take on?

And when, in recent times, was a role as big as Bond (or Batman or Superman), just given to an actor without screentestt and a competitive audition process.

But I've been saying the same thing over and over for two days, and sources close to ATJ, when asked by VARIETY (one of the main industry publications), about this, they flat out said he hasn't been cast.

What more does one need.

But, tomorrow is Friday, and according to The Sun he will be signing any day now...

Let's see what happens tomorrow. I'm expecting either a full press conference with the likes of Nolan, Babs, and ATJ announcing the new Bond film, with a script based on the unused Fleming bits from DAF, MR, TSWLM and TMWTGG.

OR

A huge headline in The Sun apologising for their dreadful mistake, and the journo involved to be named and shamed, then booted out while eating his/her hat.

*setting my alarm clock for tomorrow, excited with anticipation*

OR

*Nothing happens at all.* Taking a guess that seems the most likely scenario.
    *crickets*

So far

Cringe alert 🚨

s-l1600.jpg

I'm fairly sure you can find bad photos of any actor out there if you look for it. Craig had a few shockers too.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

I'm fairly sure you can find bad photos of any actor out there if you look for it. Craig had a few shockers too.

I'm sure there are, I haven't ever seen any truly bad ones of Timothy Dalton from memory.
    And it would be near impossible to find one of Roger Moore surely.

;)

I'm sure there are, I haven't ever seen any truly bad ones of Timothy Dalton from memory.

;)

Dalton was too cool for school. Even in his early days he looked cool.
    As for Moore, well...

Roger_Moore_at_the_sets_of_Sea_Wolves.jpg
    edited March 22 Posts: 155

;)

As for Moore, well...

Not bad for a 52 year old. Actually better looking than 32 year old backstreet boy ATJ.

;)

As for Moore, well...

Not bad for a 52 year old. Actually better looking than 32 year old backstreet boy ATJ.

Oh dear. I can see you having a few issues if ATJ is chosen. Like the craignotbond movement that started in 2005, you can helps steer the new movement too.

Look, there is even a website to help kickstart it - https://www.aarontaylorjohnsonisnotbond.com/
  • edited March 22 Posts: 303
    bondywondy wrote: »
    I don't think Henry Cavill and Idris Elba have ever been popular. The internet/social media can brainwash people to think certain actors are popular but the box office stats tell the harsh reality.

In 2015 The Man From Uncle made $110,045,109 worldwide.

In 2015 Spectre made $880,707,597 worldwide. Seven times more money.

Cavill brought zero fanbase to Uncle.

In 2017 The Dark Tower starring Idris Elba made $113,231,078 worldwide. Idris Elba brought zero fanbase to that planned franchise.
    By 2019, producer Ron Howard was silent on any discussion of a sequel when he admitted that the film had failed to capture the basis of the Dark Tower source material, because they had tried to reduce it to PG-13 rather than the dark R-rated horror story it should have been

Noone supported Elba nor Cavill.

Cavill was front and center promotion for Argylle. So called 'popular' Henry Cavill didn't equal box office.
    Box office
    As of March 19, 2024, Argylle has grossed $45.2 million in the United States and Canada, and $50.7 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $95.9 million. Variety noted that for a traditional studio release, the film would need to gross around $500 million worldwide to break even.

Argylle is one of the biggest flops in film history. Apple may have lost 400 million dollars on the film 😧 so if you think Eon Productions want to hire an actor with a 400 million dollar loss on his resume, I doubt it! Same with Elba.

To be fair it's not their fault if people don't want to see their films, but from Eon's perspective they don't need the hassle of hiring Cavill or whoever if they have an awful box office history. If you want to be a film star and your films flop you can't expect Eon to pay you top dollar to be Bond.

Of course hardly anyone thinks about that when they post social media comments like the ones here:

https://www.gbnews.com/celebrity/henry-cavill-james-bond-snub-aaron-taylor-johnson

None consider Argylle may have lost Apple 400 million dollars (apparently it's a stinker so maybe it was fated to fail!) and none consider the possibility Cavill would still want a hefty fee for a three or four film Bond contract. People don't think like that!

They just say "Cavill must be Bond!"

Yeah, well, good luck convincing Babs and MG to spend 100 million or so dollars (or rather Amazon's dollars) on Cavill. That could be the amount he'd want over four films given a pay increase per each film. 100 million to play Bond in all films vs his last film Argylle losing 400 million. Kinda not worth it. I think Babs and MG will pass on Henry.🤭

I can't tell if you're trolling given the emojis you include, and statements like "To be fair it's not their fault if people don't want to see their films", but putting the failures of those movies on both Elba and Cavil as if they're the "sole cause" for why those movies weren't successful is incredibly inaccurate. Those movies failed for plenty of other reasons, none to do with Cavil or Elba. If you're bored by the prospect of their names being thrown around for Bond then fine, I am too. But don't go making strawman arguments about their "lack of popularity" when it's quite clear as day that both actors are incredibly popular and actually do have large (if not to the size of Bond's) fanbases.

Please provide a film which proves beyond reasonable doubt "both actors are incredibly popular." I can't find one example. Cavill has had no hit films (be they moderate or big success) when not playing Superman (and Superman, the character itself, was the overwhelming reason people went to see Man of Steel, it wasn't due to Cavill) and Idris Elba has never had a hit film (be it moderate or big success).

Argylle has lost Apple around 400 million dollars, maybe more, and Cavill was marketed as the main attraction in the trailers, he's center stage on the poster. He's standing in the middle as if Apple want you to believe he's the main star:

s-l1600.jpg

He was doing press junkets and he never said or hinted "well, I'm only in a few scenes, Sam Rockwell is the main star."

And I'm repeating myself but it's a fact, go check out his resume on Box Office Mojo, Idris Elba as a leading actor, has never had a moderate to high box office successful film.

Both actors are depreciable assets. Their market value has dropped so there's far less reason for Eon to consider or agree to any high salary they want. Bond is a very long commitment. Given the snail pace of recent Bond films we could get three or four year gaps between Bond 26, 27, 28 etc. That's close to or more than a decade so an established actor will want a large sum of money to commit to the franchise. And it's Bond, arguably the most prestigious acting role in the United Kingdom so actors are going to expect to be paid very well. If you ask anyone "what's the most famous film character in UK film history?" most people will probably say Bond or Harry Potter. Potter may appeal to gen z people.

It's not my trolling to say both actors are not popular. It's a fact based on a decade or so of box office results.

I accept studios do cast actors with bad box office records. Colin Farrell bombed in Miami Vice and Alexander. Despite those films failing to find an audience, for some inexplicable reason he was cast as the leading man in Total Recall (remake). That film also flopped. Yes, Hollywood can reward box office failure actors with more highly paid roles and that's unfair. In Hollywood you can fail up but it doesn't last throughout your entire career. Colin Farrell is no longer making Total Recall high budget films with him as the main star. Hollywood won't cast him in those roles anymore.

Henry Cavill may have one more chance to have a hit if Highlander remake happens but based on his past box office record it's doubtful it will be a hit. Doubtful not impossible. And at the end of the day it's the film goers that have to support Cavill and Elba and Farrell and Chris Pine etc. Just posting " they're incredibly popular" (Cavill and Elba) when the box office stats clearly prove beyond reasonable doubt they're not incredibly popular, is a very misguided comment. If enough people go see Cavill and Elba in some of their films they're popular but they don't go see them! Uncle/Argylle/Dark Tower etc prove that.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Lol, I feel like I was just “ Rick rolled”

;)

As for Moore, well...

Oh dear. I can see you having a few issues if ATJ is chosen. Like the craignotbond movement that started in 2005, you can helps steer the new movement too.

Look, there is even a website to help kickstart it - https://www.aarontaylorjohnsonisnotbond.com/

That’s a funny site. 😂 But who is the princess?

;)

As for Moore, well...

No idea. Princess Kate Middleton maybe? She had allegedly gone missing for a few days until she was photographed shopping recently.

;)

As for Moore, well...

No idea. Princess Kate Middleton maybe? She had allegedly gone missing for a few days until she was photographed shopping recently.

I wasn't a fan of Craig as Bond and that's still the same. ATJ is one of the worst candidates, so obviously I'm against it. Not sure about you, but I am in fact a true fanatic of Bond, especially the Connery classics. No silly website will do anything about that.

;)

As for Moore, well...

Not sure about you, but I am in fact a true fanatic of Bond, especially the Connery classics.
    I wouldn't be here otherwise. ;)