Who should/could be a Bond actor?

1116311641166116811691198

Comments

  • edited March 21 Posts: 3,289
    peter wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly

    From yesterday's Variety:

    Sources close to Taylor-Johnson downplayed the report and said he has not been cast as Bond, but technically anything is possible in the future.

    This has been a hoax. No, I don't think someone as big as Nolan could be kept secret, with a secret script, and with a coronation of one actor (whether ATJ or someone else).

    Looking at the time line of the strikes, when did you expect this secret script to have been written and ready for Nolan to take on?

    And when, in recent times, was a role as big as Bond (or Batman or Superman), just given to an actor without screentestt and a competitive audition process.

    But I've been saying the same thing over and over for two days, and sources close to ATJ, when asked by VARIETY (one of the main industry publications), about this, they flat out said he hasn't been cast.

    What more does one need.

    But, tomorrow is Friday, and according to The Sun he will be signing any day now...

    Let's see what happens tomorrow. I'm expecting either a full press conference with the likes of Nolan, Babs, and ATJ announcing the new Bond film, with a script based on the unused Fleming bits from DAF, MR, TSWLM and TMWTGG.

    OR

    A huge headline in The Sun apologising for their dreadful mistake, and the journo involved to be named and shamed, then booted out while eating his/her hat.

    *setting my alarm clock for tomorrow, excited with anticipation*
  • Posts: 2,598
    peter wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly

    From yesterday's Variety:

    Sources close to Taylor-Johnson downplayed the report and said he has not been cast as Bond, but technically anything is possible in the future.

    This has been a hoax. No, I don't think someone as big as Nolan could be kept secret, with a secret script, and with a coronation of one actor (whether ATJ or someone else).

    Looking at the time line of the strikes, when did you expect this secret script to have been written and ready for Nolan to take on?

    And when, in recent times, was a role as big as Bond (or Batman or Superman), just given to an actor without screentestt and a competitive audition process.

    But I've been saying the same thing over and over for two days, and sources close to ATJ, when asked by VARIETY (one of the main industry publications), about this, they flat out said he hasn't been cast.

    What more does one need.

    But, tomorrow is Friday, and according to The Sun he will be signing any day now...

    Let's see what happens tomorrow. I'm expecting either a full press conference with the likes of Nolan, Babs, and ATJ announcing the new bond film, based on the unused Fleming bits from DAF, MR, TSWLM and TMWTGG.

    OR

    A huge headline in The Sun apologising for their dreadful mistake, and the journo involved to be booted out while eating his/her hat.

    *setting my alarm clock for tomorrow, excited with anticipation*

    The Sun won’t give a damn.

  • edited March 21 Posts: 886
    peter wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly

    From yesterday's Variety:

    Sources close to Taylor-Johnson downplayed the report and said he has not been cast as Bond, but technically anything is possible in the future.

    This has been a hoax. No, I don't think someone as big as Nolan could be kept secret, with a secret script, and with a coronation of one actor (whether ATJ or someone else).

    Looking at the time line of the strikes, when did you expect this secret script to have been written and ready for Nolan to take on?

    And when, in recent times, was a role as big as Bond (or Batman or Superman), just given to an actor without screentestt and a competitive audition process.

    But I've been saying the same thing over and over for two days, and sources close to ATJ, when asked by VARIETY (one of the main industry publications), about this, they flat out said he hasn't been cast.

    What more does one need.

    But, tomorrow is Friday, and according to The Sun he will be signing any day now...

    Let's see what happens tomorrow. I'm expecting either a full press conference with the likes of Nolan, Babs, and ATJ announcing the new Bond film, with a script based on the unused Fleming bits from DAF, MR, TSWLM and TMWTGG.

    OR

    A huge headline in The Sun apologising for their dreadful mistake, and the journo involved to be named and shamed, then booted out while eating his/her hat.

    *setting my alarm clock for tomorrow, excited with anticipation*

    The full press conference will be next week ;)
  • Posts: 3,289
    peter wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly

    From yesterday's Variety:

    Sources close to Taylor-Johnson downplayed the report and said he has not been cast as Bond, but technically anything is possible in the future.

    This has been a hoax. No, I don't think someone as big as Nolan could be kept secret, with a secret script, and with a coronation of one actor (whether ATJ or someone else).

    Looking at the time line of the strikes, when did you expect this secret script to have been written and ready for Nolan to take on?

    And when, in recent times, was a role as big as Bond (or Batman or Superman), just given to an actor without screentestt and a competitive audition process.

    But I've been saying the same thing over and over for two days, and sources close to ATJ, when asked by VARIETY (one of the main industry publications), about this, they flat out said he hasn't been cast.

    What more does one need.

    But, tomorrow is Friday, and according to The Sun he will be signing any day now...

    Let's see what happens tomorrow. I'm expecting either a full press conference with the likes of Nolan, Babs, and ATJ announcing the new Bond film, with a script based on the unused Fleming bits from DAF, MR, TSWLM and TMWTGG.

    OR

    A huge headline in The Sun apologising for their dreadful mistake, and the journo involved to be named and shamed, then booted out while eating his/her hat.

    *setting my alarm clock for tomorrow, excited with anticipation*

    The full press conference will be next week ;)

    I can't wait...

    Hide-the-Pain-Harold.jpg
  • Posts: 3,211
    peter wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly

    From yesterday's Variety:

    Sources close to Taylor-Johnson downplayed the report and said he has not been cast as Bond, but technically anything is possible in the future.

    This has been a hoax. No, I don't think someone as big as Nolan could be kept secret, with a secret script, and with a coronation of one actor (whether ATJ or someone else).

    Looking at the time line of the strikes, when did you expect this secret script to have been written and ready for Nolan to take on?

    And when, in recent times, was a role as big as Bond (or Batman or Superman), just given to an actor without screentestt and a competitive audition process.

    But I've been saying the same thing over and over for two days, and sources close to ATJ, when asked by VARIETY (one of the main industry publications), about this, they flat out said he hasn't been cast.

    What more does one need.

    But, tomorrow is Friday, and according to The Sun he will be signing any day now...

    Let's see what happens tomorrow. I'm expecting either a full press conference with the likes of Nolan, Babs, and ATJ announcing the new Bond film, with a script based on the unused Fleming bits from DAF, MR, TSWLM and TMWTGG.

    OR

    A huge headline in The Sun apologising for their dreadful mistake, and the journo involved to be named and shamed, then booted out while eating his/her hat.

    *setting my alarm clock for tomorrow, excited with anticipation*

    I'm gonna predict neither of those will happen.
  • edited March 21 Posts: 314
    Imagine this scenario. Idris Elba is 38 years old, not his current age of 51. He's made all the stuff he's made right now but he's currently 38 in 2024. People online say "Elba should be Bond! He's perfect! Cast him! He's the obvious choice!"

    Okay, but what if people look at his resume and discover he's actually unpopular and people don't support his films.

    Films where Elba was the main star or one of the leading cast members:

    Beast - flop
    Three Thousand Years of Longing - flop
    The Harder They Fall - limited release then to Netflix
    The Suicide Squad - flop
    Cats - flop (the reviews were brutal! Yikes)
    The Dark Tower - flop
    The Mountain Between Us - failed to break even

    He hasn't has a break out hit with him as the lead actor so why would Eon listen to fans saying "Elba is perfect for Bond!" and then approach Elba knowing his lack of box office appeal and knowing he'll want a lot of money to commit to a three or four film Bond contract and hire him? They wouldn't. Eon would think "we've seen Elba's recent box office record and it hasn't brought in any profit for the studios and production companies that invested in his films. Why should we pay Elba millions of dollars to commit to the Bond franchise when he's proven not to be even moderate box office let alone had one hit film."

    Take Henry Cavill. Be it fair or unfair, his two spy films tanked hard at the box office. The Man From Uncle, Argylle. Henry Cavill would probably say to his agent "I'm still very interested in playing Bond but let's forget Uncle and Argylle flopped, tell Eon I'm interested in playing Bond for 10 million dollars and it goes up 25 percent per film."

    And Henry's agent says "Okay, Henry. I don't think Barbara Broccoli will be interested but I'll make some telephone calls."

    So Henry's agent contacts Eon and they have a pleasant chat but Broccoli or her representative says "no, Cavill's market value dropped after Uncle in 2015 and it's fallen off a cliff after Argylle was released. He's not worth the salary you want. It's an emphatic no. We cannot consider your client as he's priced himself out of the role."

    And meanwhile many people online just say "Cavill must be Bond!"

    It's a film business. It's not a popularity contest (accepting Pierce Brosnan was the overwhelming favourite back in the 1990s). Brosnan didn't overprice his value back in 1994. My guess is Cavill, Elba, Chris Hemsworth (if considered) would overprice their value. I do not believe Cavill, Elba, Hilddleston, Hardy, Murphy would play Bond at a relatively low fee. Never gonna happen. And my guess is Clive Owen and Hugh Jackman also overpriced their value.

    I also think if Nolan got paid 100 million for Oppenheimer (!)... Eon aren't going to waste time negotiating with Nolan. Nolan will want some huge fee for Bond 26 ? I guess so. Why would Eon indulge him? Hire Edgar Wright or someone like him and save the cash.

    I would argue salary demand is the most important factor in casting Bond. Craig was much cheaper to cast than Owen or Jackman and Brosnan was much cheaper to cast than Mel Gibson (who revealed he was approached to play Bond) and George Lazenby was much cheaper to cast than whatever famous actor was considered in 1967.












  • edited March 21 Posts: 3,289
    007HallY wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly

    From yesterday's Variety:

    Sources close to Taylor-Johnson downplayed the report and said he has not been cast as Bond, but technically anything is possible in the future.

    This has been a hoax. No, I don't think someone as big as Nolan could be kept secret, with a secret script, and with a coronation of one actor (whether ATJ or someone else).

    Looking at the time line of the strikes, when did you expect this secret script to have been written and ready for Nolan to take on?

    And when, in recent times, was a role as big as Bond (or Batman or Superman), just given to an actor without screentestt and a competitive audition process.

    But I've been saying the same thing over and over for two days, and sources close to ATJ, when asked by VARIETY (one of the main industry publications), about this, they flat out said he hasn't been cast.

    What more does one need.

    But, tomorrow is Friday, and according to The Sun he will be signing any day now...

    Let's see what happens tomorrow. I'm expecting either a full press conference with the likes of Nolan, Babs, and ATJ announcing the new Bond film, with a script based on the unused Fleming bits from DAF, MR, TSWLM and TMWTGG.

    OR

    A huge headline in The Sun apologising for their dreadful mistake, and the journo involved to be named and shamed, then booted out while eating his/her hat.

    *setting my alarm clock for tomorrow, excited with anticipation*

    I'm gonna predict neither of those will happen.

    *Desperately ignoring such negative comments*

    Hide-the-Pain-Harold.jpg
  • edited March 21 Posts: 3,211
    Well, the thing about Idris Elba is he's actually quite popular as an actor. His film career has been... well not great, to put it lightly, but he was in Luther which obviously hit the right notes with the British (and even some of the American) public, and of course he's an actor with some very good character acting and television shows under his belt such as The Wire. He himself is charismatic and a good bet to have on chat shows. Even in those flops I know people who really rate The Suicide Squad quite highly and his performances in some of those films.

    So if Elba was hypothetically 38 years old and had some of those specific flops (and hits) under his belt, I'd still say EON would cast him if he were the right fit for what they wanted. And ultimately that's in their hands. As it is, Elba doesn't have longevity due to being in his 50s, and the reason he was never considered for the part wasn't due to his bankability as an actor, but simply the fact that we had a James Bond.
    007HallY wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly

    From yesterday's Variety:

    Sources close to Taylor-Johnson downplayed the report and said he has not been cast as Bond, but technically anything is possible in the future.

    This has been a hoax. No, I don't think someone as big as Nolan could be kept secret, with a secret script, and with a coronation of one actor (whether ATJ or someone else).

    Looking at the time line of the strikes, when did you expect this secret script to have been written and ready for Nolan to take on?

    And when, in recent times, was a role as big as Bond (or Batman or Superman), just given to an actor without screentestt and a competitive audition process.

    But I've been saying the same thing over and over for two days, and sources close to ATJ, when asked by VARIETY (one of the main industry publications), about this, they flat out said he hasn't been cast.

    What more does one need.

    But, tomorrow is Friday, and according to The Sun he will be signing any day now...

    Let's see what happens tomorrow. I'm expecting either a full press conference with the likes of Nolan, Babs, and ATJ announcing the new Bond film, with a script based on the unused Fleming bits from DAF, MR, TSWLM and TMWTGG.

    OR

    A huge headline in The Sun apologising for their dreadful mistake, and the journo involved to be named and shamed, then booted out while eating his/her hat.

    *setting my alarm clock for tomorrow, excited with anticipation*

    I'm gonna predict neither of those will happen.

    *Desperately ignoring such negative comments*

    Hide-the-Pain-Harold.jpg

    Haha, we'll see I guess.

    Either way, I'd look on the bright side. It'll be Friday and on the off chance that this is correct, then it's cause as a Bond fan for celebratory drinks at the pub. If it's not, then it's an excuse for Friday drowning of sorrows. Either way it'll be Friday and I'll be at the pub. Can't lose I'd say.
  • edited March 21 Posts: 314
    Here's some comment on YouTube about Henry Cavill:

    The Next James Bond Is Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    16K views · 2 days ago

    Comments



    @joergzabbee3921
    1 day ago
    He wasn't even born to play Superman 😅 Well he's good looking but like Brosnan this guy has no edge or charisma at all.

    1



    @TimeBomb014X
    1 day ago
    I wouls love to see him as Bond, but if past experience is to go by, better Henry do his own thing that he has control because he is very passionate about these things and if they had him do something Bond would never do he would clash heads with then

    2



    @juliangrant9718
    1 day ago
    He's like Connery and Dalton mixed in one. There's no one else who comes close to perfect.

    5



    @kuda9464
    1 day ago
    I'd rather have someone else get the role, *Henry is already a mega star* and Bond is such a great opportunity. However, it's a terrible time to be Bond. It could ruin his career instead.

    The above comment is not reality. Henry Cavill is not a mega star. He last film Argylle may end up the biggest flop of the year. It cost 200 million dollars (it was reported Apple paid that amount to acquire the film) and bombed hard.

    People need to do research before saying dumb stuff. Does this guy know Argylle and Uncle flopped or is he just saying dumb stuff for the sake of it? 🙄

    Cavill is not box office/not a mega star but if he thinks he is then he'll never play Bond. His salary won't be accepted by Eon. And that applies to all actors overpricing themselves. Time will tell if Aaron Taylor-Johnson is dumb or smart and values himself in a sensible way. Maybe he'll be open to a reasonable fee!
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited March 21 Posts: 164
    Cavill can't act. It's that simple. He is mostly popular due to his good looks, alpha male type combined with his nerdy love for gaming as well as being quite introverted. Superman, to an extent, but Bond? Stay the heck away please.

    ATJ is even worse, go be Kraven in the woods flying around or whatever.
  • edited March 21 Posts: 314
    I don't think Henry Cavill and Idris Elba have ever been popular. The internet/social media can brainwash people to think certain actors are popular but the box office stats tell the harsh reality.

    In 2015 The Man From Uncle made $110,045,109 worldwide.

    In 2015 Spectre made $880,707,597 worldwide. Seven times more money.

    Cavill brought zero fanbase to Uncle.

    In 2017 The Dark Tower starring Idris Elba made $113,231,078 worldwide. Idris Elba brought zero fanbase to that planned franchise.
    By 2019, producer Ron Howard was silent on any discussion of a sequel when he admitted that the film had failed to capture the basis of the Dark Tower source material, because they had tried to reduce it to PG-13 rather than the dark R-rated horror story it should have been

    Noone supported Elba nor Cavill.

    Cavill was front and center promotion for Argylle. So called 'popular' Henry Cavill didn't equal box office.
    Box office
    As of March 19, 2024, Argylle has grossed $45.2 million in the United States and Canada, and $50.7 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $95.9 million. Variety noted that for a traditional studio release, the film would need to gross around $500 million worldwide to break even.

    Argylle is one of the biggest flops in film history. Apple may have lost 400 million dollars on the film 😧 so if you think Eon Productions want to hire an actor with a 400 million dollar loss on his resume, I doubt it! Same with Elba.

    To be fair it's not their fault if people don't want to see their films, but from Eon's perspective they don't need the hassle of hiring Cavill or whoever if they have an awful box office history. If you want to be a film star and your films flop you can't expect Eon to pay you top dollar to be Bond.

    Of course hardly anyone thinks about that when they post social media comments like the ones here:

    https://www.gbnews.com/celebrity/henry-cavill-james-bond-snub-aaron-taylor-johnson

    None consider Argylle may have lost Apple 400 million dollars (apparently it's a stinker so maybe it was fated to fail!) and none consider the possibility Cavill would still want a hefty fee for a three or four film Bond contract. People don't think like that!

    They just say "Cavill must be Bond!"

    Yeah, well, good luck convincing Babs and MG to spend 100 million or so dollars (or rather Amazon's dollars) on Cavill. That could be the amount he'd want over four films given a pay increase per each film. 100 million to play Bond in all films vs his last film Argylle losing 400 million. Kinda not worth it. I think Babs and MG will pass on Henry.🤭



  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,674
    I think Cavill and Elba are popular enough, I just don't think they're true, definitive movie stars that put more butts in seats based on name recognition alone.
  • Posts: 9,807
    Cavill is already the highlander and i want that movie to happen as the franchise has been dead far too long
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 21 Posts: 5,871
    This is gonna sound harsh but I just find candidates like Hiddleston, Cavill and Elba just to be products of unimaginative casting. I've said it before but they're actors who are easy to put forward because they have basically played the part already... it's the reason I think there was such a huge push for Aiden after And Then There Were None, because he was literally sat there being suave in a tuxedo and smoking a cigarette.
  • edited March 21 Posts: 3,211
    Elba and Cavill are popular. They've both been in television shows which have good reviews and fan followings. They've both been in some popular films amongst the flops. Generally both are considered likeable offscreen. People definitely know who they are. Often if a film isn't going to be financially viable there are many other reasons for this as opposed to the actors (ie. The Suicide Squad was arguably a victim of Covid, being released simultaneously on HBO Max, and the fact that the first film was a notorious failure, despite being popular on streaming services and getting great reviews).

    I mean, Daniel Craig wasn't in a dissimilar situation before Bond, having starred in a number of films which made little if no money (even very good films like Munich and Layer Cake were not financial hits at all). There was no indication he could have starred in some of the biggest moneymaking Bond films of all time, with his presence in the role being a massive contributing factor. Hell, even when he was Bond he starred in some financial flops like Flashbacks of a Fool, Definance, and Cowboys and Aliens. EoN simply thought he was the best man for the job back in '05 and saw potential in him.
  • bondywondy wrote: »
    I don't think Henry Cavill and Idris Elba have ever been popular. The internet/social media can brainwash people to think certain actors are popular but the box office stats tell the harsh reality.

    In 2015 The Man From Uncle made $110,045,109 worldwide.

    In 2015 Spectre made $880,707,597 worldwide. Seven times more money.


    Cavill brought zero fanbase to Uncle.

    In 2017 The Dark Tower starring Idris Elba made $113,231,078 worldwide. Idris Elba brought zero fanbase to that planned franchise.
    By 2019, producer Ron Howard was silent on any discussion of a sequel when he admitted that the film had failed to capture the basis of the Dark Tower source material, because they had tried to reduce it to PG-13 rather than the dark R-rated horror story it should have been

    Noone supported Elba nor Cavill.

    Cavill was front and center promotion for Argylle. So called 'popular' Henry Cavill didn't equal box office.
    Box office
    As of March 19, 2024, Argylle has grossed $45.2 million in the United States and Canada, and $50.7 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $95.9 million. Variety noted that for a traditional studio release, the film would need to gross around $500 million worldwide to break even.

    Argylle is one of the biggest flops in film history. Apple may have lost 400 million dollars on the film 😧 so if you think Eon Productions want to hire an actor with a 400 million dollar loss on his resume, I doubt it! Same with Elba.

    To be fair it's not their fault if people don't want to see their films, but from Eon's perspective they don't need the hassle of hiring Cavill or whoever if they have an awful box office history. If you want to be a film star and your films flop you can't expect Eon to pay you top dollar to be Bond.

    Of course hardly anyone thinks about that when they post social media comments like the ones here:

    https://www.gbnews.com/celebrity/henry-cavill-james-bond-snub-aaron-taylor-johnson

    None consider Argylle may have lost Apple 400 million dollars (apparently it's a stinker so maybe it was fated to fail!) and none consider the possibility Cavill would still want a hefty fee for a three or four film Bond contract. People don't think like that!

    They just say "Cavill must be Bond!"

    Yeah, well, good luck convincing Babs and MG to spend 100 million or so dollars (or rather Amazon's dollars) on Cavill. That could be the amount he'd want over four films given a pay increase per each film. 100 million to play Bond in all films vs his last film Argylle losing 400 million. Kinda not worth it. I think Babs and MG will pass on Henry.🤭



    I can't tell if you're trolling given the emojis you include, and statements like "To be fair it's not their fault if people don't want to see their films", but putting the failures of those movies on both Elba and Cavil as if they're the "sole cause" for why those movies weren't successful is incredibly inaccurate. Those movies failed for plenty of other reasons, none to do with Cavil or Elba. If you're bored by the prospect of their names being thrown around for Bond then fine, I am too. But don't go making strawman arguments about their "lack of popularity" when it's quite clear as day that both actors are incredibly popular and actually do have large (if not to the size of Bond's) fanbases.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited March 21 Posts: 1,488
    The ATJ Rolling Stone UK cover story really says a lot, the actor says he doesn't "need a new future" laid out for him. Sounds like a rejection of Bond to me. And I do wonder if maybe The Sun heard he had a major cover story coming up and just guessed it would be a Bond move?

    https://x.com/RollingStoneUK/status/1770387720331722974?s=20
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 8,864
    LucknFate wrote: »
    The ATJ Rolling Stone UK cover story really says a lot, the actor says he doesn't "need a new future" laid out for him. Sounds like a rejection of Bond to me. And I do wonder if maybe The Sun heard he had a major cover story coming up and just guessed it would be a Bond move?

    https://x.com/RollingStoneUK/status/1770387720331722974?s=20

    Good theory, @LucknFate

    One of my friends from the UK thinks it may’ve had to do with Murdoch’s people taking heat off of The Royals (?). They wanted the spin to be as far away from Kate as possible .

    🤷‍♂️
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 21 Posts: 2,976
    mtm wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Didnt someone here actually con the sun into printing a fake story

    Not quite the same but years ago I made a fun fan poster for CR before it came out and put some credits on it to fill it out, and I put Goldfrapp on as doing the title song (I wasn't trying to hoax anyone, it was just a fan poster). The poster got seen somewhere else and that seemed to start news stories about Goldfrapp doing the song, which wasn't my intention at all. Eventually David Arnold went on the radio and said they weren't involved and said how it had all come from a fan poster.
    Although the story gets a bit mixed up because I think Goldfrapp actually did turn out to have been vaguely involved with one of the films.
    :)) Absolute classic.
    Idris was fairly popular in the UK a decade back due to Luther, so I guess the Bond thing arose from that rather than any of his films, tbf. Have to say, though, that I could never see him as Bond even when I tried. Not for the obvious reason (I can readily see Sope as Bond) or for any overt reason, actually - Idris just didn't come over that way for me. Have to say, most of the recent suggestions strike me that way too. ATJ slightly less so than most, funnily enough. Or maybe I just have to work less hard to picture it, I dunno! Not sure that should be enough to give him the nod, though...!
    As for the ATJ hoax, the way The Sun work, whoever concocted it won't be out on their ear by the weekend, they'll be the toast of the pub, with everyone buying them pints and slapping their back. God, worra rag.
  • edited March 21 Posts: 3,211
    peter wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »
    The ATJ Rolling Stone UK cover story really says a lot, the actor says he doesn't "need a new future" laid out for him. Sounds like a rejection of Bond to me. And I do wonder if maybe The Sun heard he had a major cover story coming up and just guessed it would be a Bond move?

    https://x.com/RollingStoneUK/status/1770387720331722974?s=20

    Good theory, @LucknFate

    One of my friends from the UK thinks it may’ve had to do with Murdoch’s people taking heat off of The Royals (?). They wanted the spin to be as far away from Kate as possible .

    🤷‍♂️

    My favourite bit from a quick read of that:

    "Speaking of violent masculinity, those Bond rumours are impossible not to ask about, but I’m greeted with a predictable poker face. “I can only really talk about the things I’m going to show and tell,” he says. “So, The Fall Guy, Nosferatu, Kraven the Hunter. I’m here to promote those.” When I say it must be flattering to be associated with 007, he stares at me in silence. I add that I know he couldn’t possibly spill the beans to a journalist in this context; Barbara Broccoli is one formidable woman. More silence, although it is wry rather than severe. I laugh nervously. He asks me how my pasta is."

     Haha. Regardless though, whatever I think of him as an actor, I'm sure he'll be fine with or without Bond. As I said I'm looking forward to seeing him in Nosferatu.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 21 Posts: 5,871
    LucknFate wrote: »
    The ATJ Rolling Stone UK cover story really says a lot, the actor says he doesn't "need a new future" laid out for him. Sounds like a rejection of Bond to me. And I do wonder if maybe The Sun heard he had a major cover story coming up and just guessed it would be a Bond move?

    https://x.com/RollingStoneUK/status/1770387720331722974?s=20
    @LucknFate I wouldn't say it's a rejection myself. In the article itself, the quote actually reads, "I don’t feel like I need to have a future drawn out for me. I feel like: whatever’s drawn out for me, I can fuckin’ do better,”. No mention of the word "new" which I think makes the quote imply something else.

    The writer also states afterwards that, "we’re discussing the idea of mapping out a career plan", which is what he seems to be rejecting. He seems very in the moment. “It’s the best when you sometimes lose all inhibitions completely, and you feel like you’re dangling there, and the director has sort of got one finger on the back of your shirt, so you don’t fall. It’s all about chasing that feeling. There’s nothing so exhilarating as that.

    So overall I think the discussion about Bond was met by an actor who just wants to focus on what's doing at the moment and not dwell on what could happen in the future.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Posts: 1,488
    Denbigh wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »
    The ATJ Rolling Stone UK cover story really says a lot, the actor says he doesn't "need a new future" laid out for him. Sounds like a rejection of Bond to me. And I do wonder if maybe The Sun heard he had a major cover story coming up and just guessed it would be a Bond move?

    https://x.com/RollingStoneUK/status/1770387720331722974?s=20
    @LucknFate I wouldn't say it's a rejection myself. In the article itself, the quote actually reads, "I don’t feel like I need to have a future drawn out for me. I feel like: whatever’s drawn out for me, I can fuckin’ do better,”. No mention of the word "new" which I think makes the quote imply something else.

    The writer also states afterwards that, "we’re discussing the idea of mapping out a career plan", so I would interpret the quote to mean that ATJ is rejecting the idea of planning his career or searching for something in his career. He seems very in the moment. “It’s the best when you sometimes lose all inhibitions completely, and you feel like you’re dangling there, and the director has sort of got one finger on the back of your shirt, so you don’t fall. It’s all about chasing that feeling. There’s nothing so exhilarating as that.

    I wonder what director would offer that in a Bond role to ATJ? Who he'd have in mind to do it... I suppose my read doesn't work with his deal with Marvel, either...
  • Posts: 3,211
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »
    The ATJ Rolling Stone UK cover story really says a lot, the actor says he doesn't "need a new future" laid out for him. Sounds like a rejection of Bond to me. And I do wonder if maybe The Sun heard he had a major cover story coming up and just guessed it would be a Bond move?

    https://x.com/RollingStoneUK/status/1770387720331722974?s=20
    @LucknFate I wouldn't say it's a rejection myself. In the article itself, the quote actually reads, "I don’t feel like I need to have a future drawn out for me. I feel like: whatever’s drawn out for me, I can fuckin’ do better,”. No mention of the word "new" which I think makes the quote imply something else.

    The writer also states afterwards that, "we’re discussing the idea of mapping out a career plan", so I would interpret the quote to mean that ATJ is rejecting the idea of planning his career or searching for something in his career. He seems very in the moment. “It’s the best when you sometimes lose all inhibitions completely, and you feel like you’re dangling there, and the director has sort of got one finger on the back of your shirt, so you don’t fall. It’s all about chasing that feeling. There’s nothing so exhilarating as that.

    I wonder what director would offer that in a Bond role to ATJ? Who he'd have in mind to do it... I suppose my read doesn't work with his deal with Marvel, either...

    I suppose he means that metaphorically/in a way that's more about him being able to do what's intuitive to him as an actor in a certain role with the director only stepping in when needed. I'd say in a sense all very good directors do that/create that environment (and certainly all very good directors who have worked on Bond/with actors confident and experienced enough).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 21 Posts: 5,871
    007HallY wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »
    The ATJ Rolling Stone UK cover story really says a lot, the actor says he doesn't "need a new future" laid out for him. Sounds like a rejection of Bond to me. And I do wonder if maybe The Sun heard he had a major cover story coming up and just guessed it would be a Bond move?

    https://x.com/RollingStoneUK/status/1770387720331722974?s=20
    @LucknFate I wouldn't say it's a rejection myself. In the article itself, the quote actually reads, "I don’t feel like I need to have a future drawn out for me. I feel like: whatever’s drawn out for me, I can fuckin’ do better,”. No mention of the word "new" which I think makes the quote imply something else.

    The writer also states afterwards that, "we’re discussing the idea of mapping out a career plan", so I would interpret the quote to mean that ATJ is rejecting the idea of planning his career or searching for something in his career. He seems very in the moment. “It’s the best when you sometimes lose all inhibitions completely, and you feel like you’re dangling there, and the director has sort of got one finger on the back of your shirt, so you don’t fall. It’s all about chasing that feeling. There’s nothing so exhilarating as that.

    I wonder what director would offer that in a Bond role to ATJ? Who he'd have in mind to do it... I suppose my read doesn't work with his deal with Marvel, either...

    I suppose he means that metaphorically/in a way that's more about him being able to do what's intuitive to him as an actor in a certain role with the director only stepping in when needed. I'd say in a sense all very good directors do that/create that environment (and certainly all very good directors who have worked on Bond/with actors confident and experienced enough).
    I've always found this interview quite funny with ATJ where he discusses pitching an idea to Tom Ford for Nocturnal Animals.

  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 8,068
    Moving on...

    It is absolutely impossible that the powers that be at EoN have not discussed potential Bond actors. I would love to be a fly on the wall for those conversations: just how many names that they may have bandied about have been mentioned here?
  • Posts: 3,211
    talos7 wrote: »
    Moving on...

    It is absolutely impossible that the powers that be at EoN have not discussed potential Bond actors. I would love to be a fly on the wall for those conversations: just how many names that they may have bandied about have been mentioned here?

    I suspect BB and MGW have been keeping an eye out for potential Bond 7's as early as 2015. Nothing officially will happen until the time comes, but they may well have talked with some of these actors informally (even if it's just a quick meeting at an event or whatever). But yes, it'd be naive to think they've not thought about this at all.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »
    The ATJ Rolling Stone UK cover story really says a lot, the actor says he doesn't "need a new future" laid out for him. Sounds like a rejection of Bond to me. And I do wonder if maybe The Sun heard he had a major cover story coming up and just guessed it would be a Bond move?

    https://x.com/RollingStoneUK/status/1770387720331722974?s=20
    @LucknFate I wouldn't say it's a rejection myself. In the article itself, the quote actually reads, "I don’t feel like I need to have a future drawn out for me. I feel like: whatever’s drawn out for me, I can fuckin’ do better,”. No mention of the word "new" which I think makes the quote imply something else.

    The writer also states afterwards that, "we’re discussing the idea of mapping out a career plan", so I would interpret the quote to mean that ATJ is rejecting the idea of planning his career or searching for something in his career. He seems very in the moment. “It’s the best when you sometimes lose all inhibitions completely, and you feel like you’re dangling there, and the director has sort of got one finger on the back of your shirt, so you don’t fall. It’s all about chasing that feeling. There’s nothing so exhilarating as that.

    I wonder what director would offer that in a Bond role to ATJ? Who he'd have in mind to do it... I suppose my read doesn't work with his deal with Marvel, either...

    I suppose he means that metaphorically/in a way that's more about him being able to do what's intuitive to him as an actor in a certain role with the director only stepping in when needed. I'd say in a sense all very good directors do that/create that environment (and certainly all very good directors who have worked on Bond/with actors confident and experienced enough).
    I've always found this interview quite funny with ATJ where he discusses pitching an idea to Tom Ford for Nocturnal Animals.


    Perhaps he can incorporate that burping in his hypothetical Bond audition?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 21 Posts: 5,871
    007HallY wrote: »
    Perhaps he can incorporate that burping in his hypothetical Bond audition?
    After too many martinis? Why not? ;)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Posts: 2,976
    Tom Ford's got a lower voice than ATJ...?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 8,068
    Venutius wrote: »
    Tom Ford's got a lower voice than ATJ...?

    Who doesn't ? ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Posts: 8,061
    bondywondy wrote: »
    I don't think Henry Cavill and Idris Elba have ever been popular. The internet/social media can brainwash people to think certain actors are popular but the box office stats tell the harsh reality.

    In 2015 The Man From Uncle made $110,045,109 worldwide.

    In 2015 Spectre made $880,707,597 worldwide. Seven times more money.

    Cavill brought zero fanbase to Uncle.

    In 2017 The Dark Tower starring Idris Elba made $113,231,078 worldwide. Idris Elba brought zero fanbase to that planned franchise.
    By 2019, producer Ron Howard was silent on any discussion of a sequel when he admitted that the film had failed to capture the basis of the Dark Tower source material, because they had tried to reduce it to PG-13 rather than the dark R-rated horror story it should have been

    Noone supported Elba nor Cavill.

    Cavill was front and center promotion for Argylle. So called 'popular' Henry Cavill didn't equal box office.
    Box office
    As of March 19, 2024, Argylle has grossed $45.2 million in the United States and Canada, and $50.7 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $95.9 million. Variety noted that for a traditional studio release, the film would need to gross around $500 million worldwide to break even.

    Argylle is one of the biggest flops in film history. Apple may have lost 400 million dollars on the film 😧 so if you think Eon Productions want to hire an actor with a 400 million dollar loss on his resume, I doubt it! Same with Elba.

    To be fair it's not their fault if people don't want to see their films, but from Eon's perspective they don't need the hassle of hiring Cavill or whoever if they have an awful box office history. If you want to be a film star and your films flop you can't expect Eon to pay you top dollar to be Bond.

    Of course hardly anyone thinks about that when they post social media comments like the ones here:

    https://www.gbnews.com/celebrity/henry-cavill-james-bond-snub-aaron-taylor-johnson

    None consider Argylle may have lost Apple 400 million dollars (apparently it's a stinker so maybe it was fated to fail!) and none consider the possibility Cavill would still want a hefty fee for a three or four film Bond contract. People don't think like that!

    They just say "Cavill must be Bond!"

    Yeah, well, good luck convincing Babs and MG to spend 100 million or so dollars (or rather Amazon's dollars) on Cavill. That could be the amount he'd want over four films given a pay increase per each film. 100 million to play Bond in all films vs his last film Argylle losing 400 million. Kinda not worth it. I think Babs and MG will pass on Henry.🤭



    I think the sole reason Argylle hasn't done well is the horrendous trailers they've put out. I mean, making a spy movie with Cavill as a sort of Bond but then with his hair like that just screams 'far-worse-than-CR'69-Bond_parody', and maybe the CR69 reference isn't known to everybody, the effect is the same. There's no story (in the trailer), there's stupid CGI, etc.
    Cavill did well in 'The Witcher', which made him popular. And MI:fallout.

    Personally I think Vaugn is the sole reason Argylle bombed, but I'm biased against anything that's in the style of Kingsman.

    I don't understand how one go from Layer Cake to things like that. But then again, I never understood how the director of 'once were worriors' could make something like DAD.

    Guy Richie on the other hand does believe that Cavill has potential, and certainly is still proud of The Man From Uncle, see here:



    That one I DO want to see. And for those who claim Cavill can't act, I disagree. Like Brosnan, he's just better when they let him loosen up a bit.
Sign In or Register to comment.