Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    The moment that stood out to me was where Bond drops a bomb on a bridge, killing Russian soldiers as they were charging towards Afghan fighters. As the bridge collapses we see the Afghan fighters cheering for Bond, to victorious John Barry music.

Contrast that to GE where Bond kills a bunch of Russian soldiers after Orumov calls for them after murdering Mishkin. They were likely not affiliated with Janus, just a bunch of unfortunate souls following the orders of a corrupt general.

Right, I forgot that the PTS in GE is Cold War but ... but maybe not just a bunch of Russians, as it was still the Soviet Union they might as easily have included Ukrainians, Georgians, etc. I get that we tend to lump them all together .... but there's probably an analogy to be made here with the UK, where not everyone's English. But then GE applies to my theory too, the "good Russian" being Natalya, only here she's offset by at least three bad ones, even if Xenia indicates she's Georgian.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    And Zhukovsky is what, neutral leading towards "ally," I guess ...
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Feyador wrote: »
    The moment that stood out to me was where Bond drops a bomb on a bridge, killing Russian soldiers as they were charging towards Afghan fighters. As the bridge collapses we see the Afghan fighters cheering for Bond, to victorious John Barry music.

Contrast that to GE where Bond kills a bunch of Russian soldiers after Orumov calls for them after murdering Mishkin. They were likely not affiliated with Janus, just a bunch of unfortunate souls following the orders of a corrupt general.

Right, I forgot that the PTS in GE is Cold War but ... but maybe not just a bunch of Russians, as it was still the Soviet Union they might as easily have included Ukrainians, Georgians, etc. I get that we tend to lump them all together .... but there's probably an analogy to be made here with the UK, where not everyone's English. But then GE applies to my theory too, the "good Russian" being Natalya, only here she's offset by at least three bad ones, even if Xenia indicates she's Georgian.

Just to clarify, I was only speaking of the scene after Mishkin gets killed. But good point on bringing up the PTS where Bond is indiscriminately killing soldiers who probably had no clue they were under the command of a traitorous general.

Just to clarify, I was only speaking of the scene after Mishkin gets killed. But good point on bringing up the PTS where Bond is indiscriminately killing soldiers who probably had no clue they were under the command of a traitorous general.

We don't know. We don't even know the relationship between Alec Trevelyan and Ourumov.
    Aaron Taylor Johnson: Long speculated as the front runner. Was seen at the Omega event last year. Was seen holidaying at Goldeneye last year. Friends of Barbara Broccoli.
    If he is officially announced I won't be in the least bit surprised. Feels like the worst kept secret in Hollywood. He's a solid choice, but I'm honestly MORE interested in who the director will be. Is it going to be a true visionary genius / auteur (Denis Villenenue / Christopher Nolan) or another Roger Spottiswoode? If it's the latter, then it doesn't matter who they put in the role. It'll just be a man in a tuxedo. We need a great script and a great director. When we know that, then I'll start to get excited. Until, my Don Perignon 53 remains on ice.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

We don't know. We don't even know the relationship between Alec Trevelyan and Ourumov.

All things indicate Trevelyan faked his death and was in league with Ourumov.

All things indicate Trevelyan faked his death and was in league with Ourumov.

Yes, I Know. That's all.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Burgess wrote: »
    I’m sure it’s unlikely, but what if Nolan came on as a producer, Broccoli and Wilson moved into Executive Producing and Villeneuve directed? Thunderball was a special case but, for that film, Broccoli and Saltzman Executive Produced while McClory Produced.

Barbara's not taking a back seat to anyone.

She was mentioned at the Oscars despite not having a film in contention. That's power, folks.

It's not real. Whether or not it happens, it being in the tabloids means as much as if I said it.
    BMB007 wrote: »

It's not real. Whether or not it happens, it being in the tabloids means as much as if I said it.

The Sun got it right about Daniel Craig back in 2005, so I wouldn't simply dismiss this because it came from the same tabloid.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I could be mistaken... but neither source strikes me as particularly trustworthy. I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm just waiting for official news before I jump on anything the Sun publishes (except for what its Page 3 used to be.)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I could be mistaken... but neither source strikes me as particularly trustworthy. I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm just waiting for official news before I jump on anything the Sun publishes (except for what its Page 3 used to be.)

Right now I'm keeping an open mind, but nice to see Bond making TV news headlines again anyway.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I would believe it if it really happens (there's a signing with ATJ, Barbara and Michael at the press), but for now, it would be hard, especially after the reminders of Barbara that they have no any idea yet about which direction they would take Bond, it's hard.

Maybe had Barbara said the announcement by herself, probably it would be more credible.
    It's all over TikTok now, ITV news the lot. I got a bad feeling about this
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited March 19 Posts: 40,474
    When it's on TikTok, that's when you know it's gotta be a legitimate, factual truth!

Maybe it winds up true, maybe it doesn't, but still exciting to see any kind of movement after years of silence.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    When it's on TikTok, that's when you know it's gotta be a legitimate, factual truth!

I get all my medical advice from TikTok. ;)
    I'm just saying ITV's official TikTok account are reporting it. It's not only The S*n. You should see the videos Aston Martin make, if you're into filmmaking.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Babs and MGW have been making such terrible decisions lately that I have no trouble believing they've chosen ATJ for the role.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited March 19 Posts: 40,474
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I get all my medical advice from TikTok. ;)

You too??

@DewiWynBond, just being cheeky, wasn't trying to discredit what you've found.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm sincerely in the camp that this a big nothing burger, and, as it stands, @DewiWynBond has as much chance at signing his Bond contract by Friday, as ATJ has.

And I'm rooting for Dewi...
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 19 Posts: 1,368
    It all depends on what direction Eon are planning on taking Bond 7. If we're comparing ATJ to Craig's style of playing Bond, then there's only going to be one winner. I think fans always imagine a new Bond in scenes the previous Bond has done and it's usually difficult seeing it. When Craig was announced as Bond, fans found it hard to envisage him saying things like "They'll print anything these days". So the usual verdict is "I can't see it, until the new Bond creates his own style.
    I'm just saying ITV's official TikTok account are reporting it. It's not only The S*n. You should see the videos Aston Martin make, if you're into filmmaking.

They're all citing the tabloid. It's a loop.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited March 19 Posts: 3,391
    How could they announce the new Bond actor without announcing the Bond director first or the scriptwriters first? Are those still Purvis and Wade?

Because they couldn't easily hire a new Bond actor without it undergoing screentests, and they couldn't do screentests without having a director taking it and a scriptwriter writing the scene.

I mean they've kept the screen tests, the scriptwriting behind our backs with Barbara telling lies that 'they have still no idea on where to take Bond'?

This is impossible, for me at least, it would still take at least maybe another one or two years before the announcement of the new Bond actor because it would go through a long process of scriptwriting, choosing a director, screentesting before hiring a new Bond actor.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    How could they announce the new Bond actor without announcing the Bond director first or the scriptwriters first? Are still Purvis and Wade?

Because they couldn't easily hire a new Bond actor without it undergoing screentests, and they couldn't do screentests without having a director taking it and a scriptwriter writing the scene.

I mean they've kept the screen tests, the scriptwriting behind our backs with Barbara telling lies that 'they have still no idea on where to take Bond'?

This is impossible, for me at least, it would still take at least maybe another one or two years before the announcement of the new Bond actor because it would go through a long process of scriptwriting, choosing a director, screentesting before hiring a new Bond actor.

Maybe they were waiting for Denis Villeneuve. I mean, It is possible that they already had the director chosen.
    They consistently said Eve wasn’t Moneypenny, Oberhauser wasn’t Blofeld, and Craig stated on a talkshow the date he announced his return for Bond 25 that nothing was happening and no decisions were made, only to say a couple hours later that things had been in motion for a while. That seems to be EONs MO as of late, not that there is a problem with it. Wouldn’t surprise me either way.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 19 Posts: 1,368
    Same with them saying Zimmer was brought in longer than we thought to score NTTD. Even Sam Smith blatantly denied working on SP's title song back then.
    @SIS_HQ Will they pick the Bond actor before the director? You are right, they won’t. But it’s entirely possible that they will announce the director and the actor at the same event.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I hope when this proves to be false, cooler heads will wait for the process to play out (finish the script, hire Deni- I mean, a director, auditions (does anyone truly believe that, outside of prime Daniel Day Lewis, they'd just hand over a multi film contract to someone like ATJ (or any actor in his peer group), without screentesting him, and testing others to compare and contrast him to? You don't have to work in film to understand that that's not the way huge roles like this are won, and you don't have to work in film to realize how absolutely insane that would be. It's a risk not even worth conceiving of, let alone following through on).

The role of James Bond won't be a coronation.

Whoever wins this role will be involved with a strict vetting process and competitive auditions. And he will have to perform scenes from the new script....

(And you can take that to the bank. The blood bank... And then buy my Blockbuster stores from me)
    peter wrote: »
    I'm sincerely in the camp that this a big nothing burger, and, as it stands, @DewiWynBond has as much chance at signing his Bond contract by Friday, as ATJ has.

And I'm rooting for Dewi...

Thanks man. If all else fails I could star in your epic kung fu-sword-witchcraft movie 🤔