Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Denbigh wrote: »
    It does seem ATJ is more popular amongst general fans than the hardcore ones. I remember the response on social media when the rumours started being overwhelmingly positive.

Is that true though? I mean, it may be, but, outside of a bunch of clickbait articles from 18 and 24 months ago, I just didn’t hear general Bond fans in my (granted, small) cirle, even ask me about ATJ and the veracity of these articles. It just didn’t “click” with them. In my life, I still get asked about the same old, same old “candidate” (Hardy, Elba, Fassbender). Thankfully these are even thinning out…

@Denbigh , and Colonel Venus, and a few people here have championed him.

But in “life”, outside of clickbait articles with sources that say he shot the gun barrel , I just haven’t heard anything about ATJ being a fan favourite.

I dunno 🤷‍♂️ ?? Maybe I’m sheltered….
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Voice, a quality that all Bond actors have possessed is a strong voice; yes, even George. ATJ has the voice of a prepubescent boy and his attempting to deepen it for the role would come off as contrived and artificial.

@peter mentioned our fun little game ; look at, or I should say listen to the two remaining candidates, if you were going to hire an actor to portray Bond for an audiobook, you can choose between Aaron Taylor Johnson, Theo James or Leo Suter, where would ATJ be on that list?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 16 Posts: 5,869
    Well from what I saw online at the time the rumours spread, it was generally positive. Maybe I should've said general audiences as opposed to fans.

And I'm personally not gonna be comparing everything to Suter or James just yet. They're good candidates. I have my doubts, from Suter's experience to even James' willingness to remove his beard/stubble, but I can see to an extent why they are where they are, but I wouldn't go as far as to consider them the blueprint just yet.

As for ATJ's voice, it's never bothered me and don't think it ever will so I remain open minded on him as always. I think he has ability to capture the duality of Bond as a cold-blooded assassin and humorous charmer.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    I stand with @peter

You sir, are a delight.

peter wrote: »
    It does seem ATJ is more popular amongst general fans than the hardcore ones. I remember the response on social media when the rumours started being overwhelmingly positive.

Is that true though? I mean, it may be, but, outside of a bunch of clickbait articles from 18 and 24 months ago, I just didn’t hear general Bond fans in my (granted, small) cirle, even ask me about ATJ and the veracity of these articles. It just didn’t “click” with them. In my life, I still get asked about the same old, same old “candidate” (Hardy, Elba, Fassbender). Thankfully these are even thinning out…

But in “life”, outside of clickbait articles with sources that say he shot the gun barrel , I just haven’t heard anything about ATJ being a fan favourite.

The big three in the bond fan community did do a video on it (david Zaritsky Calvin dyson and joe darrlington) so there is that and i agree your a delight
    talos7 wrote: »
    Voice, a quality that all Bond actors have possessed is a strong voice; yes, even George. ATJ has the voice of a prepubescent boy and his attempting to deepen it for the role would come off as contrived and artificial.

@peter mentioned our fun little game ; look at, or I should say listen to the two remaining candidates, if you were going to hire an actor to portray Bond for an audiobook, you can choose between Aaron Taylor Johnson, Theo James or Leo Suter, where would ATJ be on that list?

I was one of those who championed ATJ for a day or two, but I couldn't bear to listen to that high pitched nonsense, and I hated, really despised his smug, ridiculous attitude. So it's a big no from me.

Voice is key. Voice is what got me to like Craig in the first place. Voice was there since Connery, and Dalton still can kill with words, as any deep voiced Welsh can. Voice is one of the main aspects of the character, and it's not even described in the books, as far as I can remember. But it is key for me.

And yes, @buddyoldchap, my friend, @peter is a delight, it's a very well established fact in the forums. Lucidity, knowledge, and good manners maketh (that) man. Also, yes, AT has a damn good voice as well ;) Leo Suter has it. But Theo James has even voiced The Witcher, there's no fighting against that. He has the superior voice and eyebrows ;)

How ridiculous can we fans get when discussing these things? :) It's just marvelous.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 16 Posts: 8,507
    Risico007 wrote: »

The big three in the bond fan community did do a video on it (david Zaritsky Calvin dyson and joe darrlington) so there is that and i agree your a delight

One statement that called me a delight felt like a compliment, the other, not so much, so thank you @buddyoldchap , 😂!

@Risico007 , I didn't watch these YouTube videos, so I can't comment. But they, and you, are entitled to your feelings. If they like ATJ, then awesome 👍! Three people in a world of eight billion (must be Gospel! 🤣🤣🤣).

In the end, I don't have a horse in the race, but my view remains: there are way more suitable candidates than ATJ. That's my opinion, and the"big three" won't change my mind.

Edit: and thank you to you too, @Univex ... I'm feeling the love today (let's keep it rolling!!)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Whatever or whoever, I'm excited and its gonna be fun when the ball starts to get rolling.
    Whatever or whoever, I'm excited and its gonna be fun when the ball starts to get rolling.

Can't wait. Last night I dreamt the whole thing, I mean the whole movie. Lines and everything. That didn't happen to me since 2005/06, regarding our man Bond. Such interesting times, even with the lack of true news.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: @Denbigh is always ready with optimistic energy and a positive attitude. And I wholly agree: when the actor’s revealed, and when this next film’s released, there will be plenty of sighs of relief (like finally being able to empty one’s bladder after holding it in, almost to the breaking point)….

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: @Denbigh is always ready with optimistic energy and a positive attitude. And I wholly agree: when the actor’s revealed, and when this next film’s released, there will be plenty of sighs of relief (like finally being able to empty one’s bladder after holding it in, almost to the breaking point)….

:)) :)) :))
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 17 Posts: 2,932
    Theo James was so convincing as an insufferable git in that Inbetweeners film that I've hated him ever since. I feel like one of those old biddies who'd see a soap villain in the street and hit him with their handbag because they couldn't differentiate the actor from the character! :D
    Theo James is interviewed in The Observer today, and shares his thoughts on Bond:

“Oh, Barbara Brocs…” says James, with a smirk. “I say that as if I know her: never met her, know nothing about it. But I’ll give her a nickname. Everyone’s interested in that because it’s a big part of British cultural identity, but that probably wouldn’t be me. I do think there are better people for that job. And, honestly, it would be terrifying: if you do that, there’s no going back. You’re opening Pandora’s box there. You have got to be willing to live a very different life and have a different life for your family. And that would be pretty tricky. Plus, my mates would take the piss out of me. Because they always say, ‘Bondopoulos – the Greek Bond.’”

Is the speculation flattering or annoying? “It’s flattering, but it’s also every male actor within a certain age,” James answers. “It’s not like it’s two dudes. It’s 50 guys, literally 50 people. So no… I’d like to play a seminal British figure in a different historical period. I know it’s been done so many times, but I’ve always liked the idea of exploring Henry VIII in a way that isn’t defined by the maniacal sociopath. Because he was that, but then there’s also the journey to become that man. And he shaped Britain and our sense of social understanding of what it is to be British.”
    If he’s playing hard to get, he’s really selling it.
    Like I said, he’s not lying when he says these things.
    If he shows up to the meeting with his cuffs undone, he's got the job ;)
    😂
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 17 Posts: 1,368
    Hmmm. Theo James, though. Even Brosnan denied it in these interviews.

You know, Theo James "never met" Barbara Brocs... Really? I mean, by now is that really a possibility, when even his friends joke about him being a greek Bond? That they've never met and he has the courage to imagine his own nickname for her is, well, hard to believe, to say the least. Who knows? He's a professional liar, after all, isn't he?
    I mean, he could be lying about never having met BB (it’d be a pretty pointless lie even if he were seriously being considered/contractually obligated not to say anything or whatever - many people have met Broccoli and likely it’s simply not something he’d mention at all if he was in the running).

Other than that, no auditions are being held, the script has not materialised, and it’s likely that Bond 26 is basically in the earliest stages of development. Without some sort of concrete assurance that he either has the part or at least an audition (both of which are unlikely at this stage), there’s no reason for any actor to dismiss themselves like this. I really don’t think he’s interested.
    I think Dalton and Craig were never really interested. But as always, if EON really want Theo as Bond, they'll convince him....that's if Barbara really, really wants him.
    Agreed, if they want him they’ll try to get him. But he ultimately has to be convinced. I would say it’s a bit more nuanced with Craig and Dalton. I get the feeling they were more conflicted about it than not interested. It makes sense that those particular actors would be hesitant to do Bond without some assurance of the direction of their movies.

So yeah, James could change his mind. But he’s not playing games. This is how he feels at the current time.
    edited March 17 Posts: 1,368
    007HallY wrote: »
    Agreed, if they want him they’ll try to get him. But he ultimately has to be convinced. I would say it’s a bit more nuanced with Craig and Dalton. I get the feeling they were more conflicted about it than not interested. It makes sense that those particular actors would be hesitant to do Bond without some assurance of the direction of their movies.

So yeah, James could change his mind. But he’s not playing games. This is how he feels at the current time.

Yeah....would also be nice to have a Bond actor whose real name is "James". Imagine the media saying "Come experience Theo as James" 😀
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    MV5BMTAwM2Y2MjUtMzUyOC00M2NkLWFlMGEtMGEyMDIwN2ExYWIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk0NDUwMjQ@._V1_.jpg
    Tom Sharp https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8515317/ (Picture is from Short Night Shadows from 2018)

https://www.e-talenta.eu/members/profile/tom-sharp
    https://en.media.crew-united.com/fullprofile/actor-tom-sharp.html

Comercial made for Amazon

Seen a couple times in this videoclip. There is also sort of Gunbarrel reference in it, not with him. Artist for song mabey be intresting doing title song. Whyle him in this video is a bit doubtfull because it look it a warning for/anti drugs video include drinking.

other video
    https://en.media.crew-united.com/video/tom-sharp?vi=138707
    https://showreel.e-talenta.eu/tom-sharp

He did theater, but be very new with film. His biggest project is that comercial, videoclip and upcoming tv series of 7 episodes.
    https://deadline.com/2023/09/daily-wire-series-pendragon-cycle-casts-lead-actor-filming-europe-1235550413/
  • edited March 18 Posts: 176
    He has a good look, and he's going to be starring in a show called The Pendragon Cycle. But it looks like the show is being produced by The Daily Wire though, which is a pretty big red flag. It's made by the same dude that made that despicable anti-trans movie.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring

But he never said he didn't think he was right for it, or that he wasn't interested, which is quite a key difference. Craig said he felt the films needed to change, but likewise never ruled himself out.
    edited March 18 Posts: 1,368

But he never said he didn't think he was right for it, or that he wasn't interested, which is quite a key difference. Craig said he felt the films needed to change, but likewise never ruled himself out.

True. Yeah. Maybe Theo James is being honest. If Barbara really wants him, she would have to really convince him then. I think he would mix up the arrogant and still likeable side of Bond well.
    Nobody is up for it. As usual.
  • edited March 19 Posts: 486
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Let's gooooo! And link to the original Sun article: https://www.the-sun.com/tv/10823180/aaron-taylor-johnson-offered-role-james-bond/

Yes, I get it, it's the Sun. Still, any rumour is exciting IMHO. Also, if this is true, it means that they very likely have a director too but managed to keep it a secret so far and decided to not announce the pick yet.