Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

007HallY wrote: »
    I know one of the last things Turner said about the part was that he values having a degree of privacy that he wouldn’t get if he took such a role, so I’m not sure if he’s that keen. He’s had Bond rumours attached to him for so long now. He must be sick of having to answer questions about a role he may not even be that interested in, and may never play.

I think he’s a good actor, but I personally don’t see anything special that he could bring. He strikes me as more Dalton-esque than Moore or Brosnan honestly, much more subtle and intense. I don’t think his age is a problem at all, but I can see him not even being on EON’s radar if he’s not what they’re looking for from this particular version of Bond.

Every bond actor starts out playing it how they think the audience expects, and ends up just doing what comes naturally. Roger was naturally charming and self-deprecating so that's how he played it, Brosnan was smooth and debonair, Craig was grumpy and abrasive, Dalton was brooding and intense. While I agree Turner resembles dalton in the looks department - they share that dark aura - I think based on interviews his Bond would be very much cut from the same clothe as Brosnan and Moore. There's a reason he was cast as the sexy, handsome hobbit who got the girl (kinda).

3032cb2715d81e1bcde9131c86a2778f.jpg

Obviously we can only wait and see. My instinct is he’s not the guy (but I could be wrong). But as I said it depends on what they want from their Bond. Regardless of what each actor naturally brought, Craig was gritty (not entirely sure where grumpy comes from - I’d say he’s one of the more humorous Bonds) and abrasive because that’s what they wanted, as was Brosnan being smooth and debonaire.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Looks are irrelevant to me when it comes to Styles cause I personally think the guy isn't a good actor. He's gonna be the one to convince me HE is James Bond in the next era? Nah, no way.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I know one of the last things Turner said about the part was that he values having a degree of privacy that he wouldn’t get if he took such a role, so I’m not sure if he’s that keen. He’s had Bond rumours attached to him for so long now. He must be sick of having to answer questions about a role he may not even be that interested in, and may never play.

I think he’s a good actor, but I personally don’t see anything special that he could bring. He strikes me as more Dalton-esque than Moore or Brosnan honestly, much more subtle and intense. I don’t think his age is a problem at all, but I can see him not even being on EON’s radar if he’s not what they’re looking for from this particular version of Bond.

Every bond actor starts out playing it how they think the audience expects, and ends up just doing what comes naturally. Roger was naturally charming and self-deprecating so that's how he played it, Brosnan was smooth and debonair, Craig was grumpy and abrasive, Dalton was brooding and intense. While I agree Turner resembles dalton in the looks department - they share that dark aura - I think based on interviews his Bond would be very much cut from the same clothe as Brosnan and Moore. There's a reason he was cast as the sexy, handsome hobbit who got the girl (kinda).

Obviously we can only wait and see. My instinct is he’s not the guy (but I could be wrong). But as I said it depends on what they want from their Bond. Regardless of what each actor naturally brought, Craig was gritty (not entirely sure where grumpy comes from - I’d say he’s one of the more humorous Bonds) and abrasive because that’s what they wanted, as was Brosnan being smooth and debonaire.

The humour sometimes comes from the fact he is so grumpy. I'm thinking "you still have spots", "you ought to do it sometime really lends perspective", "do me a favour, throw that down the toilet". Can you really imagine the Brosnan bond saying "definitely the same desk" and storming off?

If you don't think Turner will be the guy, and you believe EON will select an actor based on where they want to take it, can we infer that you don't think EON will take it into the Moore/Brosnan broad crowdpleasing arena?
  • edited February 29 Posts: 2,911

The humour sometimes comes from the fact he is so grumpy. I'm thinking "you still have spots", "you ought to do it sometime really lends perspective", "do me a favour, throw that down the toilet". Can you really imagine the Brosnan bond saying "definitely the same desk" and storming off?

If you don't think Turner will be the guy, and you believe EON will select an actor based on where they want to take it, can we infer that you don't think EON will take it into the Moore/Brosnan broad crowdpleasing arena?

I’d have said that’s more sarcastic than grumpy. Personally those individual examples remind me of Fleming’s Bond and his sense of humour, but with the cinematic character’s tendency to quip. I find his Bond on the whole much wittier/humorous than Dalton and Lazenby’s especially. I can imagine the Brosnan Bond of TWINE and DAD saying something like that personally, yes, considering the storylines he was given (although I don’t think he’d have been as funny personally, the dialogue for the dramatic scenes in those two films can be a bit hit or miss).

I don’t know where they’ll want to take it. I think every screen Bond has the same fundamental traits, but in terms of the specifics I really can’t say what they’ll look for. There might be some element of what they did with Craig’s Bond carried through (and I’d argue that’s just as crowdpleasing) but I think it goes deeper than just a ‘Brosnan or Moore’ interpretation. Part of it depends on what the individual actor brings to the audition naturally.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 29 Posts: 1,368
    I think if EON wants a brand new and inventive iteration of Bond, Bond 7 should be an imperfect, but perfect James Bond. Imperfect in the sense that if he doesn't take pills, he can't be normal. But still perfect once he takes his pills. Maybe him also struggling with alcohol as well, but still delivers his 007 style when normal. I don't know, just something distance himself from Craig's Bond portrayal and the other Bonds as well.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think if EON wants a brand new and inventive iteration of Bond, Bond 7 should be an imperfect, but perfect James Bond. Imperfect in the sense that if he doesn't take pills, he can't be normal. But still perfect once he takes his pills. Maybe him also struggling with alcohol as well, but still delivers his 007 style when normal. I don't know, just something distance himself from Craig's Bond portrayal and the other Bonds as well.

What would he be taking pills for? Or are you speaking metaphorically?
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    DarthDimi wrote: »

What would he be taking pills for? Or are you speaking metaphorically?

I think @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ is referring to Silva's implication in SF that Bond takes painkillers, or his use of stimulants in the novels, such as the Benzedrine he takes before his bridge game with Drax in MR.
    Oh, not metaphorically @DarthDimi Yeah @George_Kaplan is spot on on what I meant.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 1 Posts: 23,553
    Oh, not metaphorically @DarthDimi Yeah @George_Kaplan is spot on on what I meant.

Interesting. I like the idea, quite frankly. I mean, he probably shouldn't be a drug addict, but 'life on the edge', if done well, couldn't harm the character. The difficulty will be to sell such a Bond to modern audiences. Remember, he doesn't smoke anymore, nor does he liquor up his liver into guaranteed cirrhosis. Pills could be seen as sending the wrong message too. I'm not saying I like that trend, but I fear it's where we're headed.
  • edited March 1 Posts: 2,911
    Personally, I don’t think Bond’s the type of character to indulge in drugs the same way as he enjoys his drink. It’s just not something he does unless he has to, and it’s never really depicted in a positive light. In SF he uses painkillers seemingly because of his injuries, and it’s clearly taking a toll on him. In the books he uses a little bit of Benzedrine as a stimulant, but he seems to regret it in MR as it doesn’t make him as sharp as he should be. The only other example I can think of from the books is when he arrives in Vegas in the DAF novel and finds a novelty oxygen dispenser of some sort, takes a hit, and misses a rather obvious goon taking his photo.

I’m all for a more risk taking Bond though, one who makes quite impulsive decisions to get the job done, and genuinely puts himself in quite dangerous positions other people wouldn’t. As much as he usually does anyway.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Interesting. I like the idea, quite frankly. I mean, he probably shouldn't be a drug addict, but 'life on the edge', if done well, couldn't harm the character. The difficulty will be to sell such a Bond to modern audiences. Remember, he doesn't smoke anymore, nor does he liquor up his liver into guaranteed cirrhosis. Pills could be seen as sending the wrong message too. I'm not saying I like that trend, but I fear it's where we're headed.

Yeah. I know what you mean. If done wrong, it could send the wrong message. I just felt bits of literary Bond should be brought into Cinematic Bond or any other original demeanour that could be created for Bond 7 to make him distinctive from the other Bonds, but still retaining the usual Bond traits.
    Personally, I don’t think Bond’s the type of character to indulge in drugs the same way as he enjoys his drink. It’s just not something he does unless he has to, and it’s never really depicted in a positive light. In SF he uses painkillers seemingly because of his injuries, and it’s clearly taking a toll on him. In the books he uses a little bit of Benzedrine as a stimulant, but he seems to regret it in MR as it doesn’t make him as sharp as he should be. The only other example I can think of from the books is when he arrives in Vegas in the DAF novel and finds a novelty oxygen dispenser of some sort, takes a hit, and misses a rather obvious goon taking his photo.

I’m all for a more risk taking Bond though, one who makes quite impulsive decisions to get the job done, and genuinely puts himself in quite dangerous positions other people wouldn’t. As much as he usually does anyway.

Yeah. An impulsive Bond. Although, Dalton's Bond had this paranoia thing about him. That's why he's always called the most literary James Bond. Dalton's Bond really knew how to sell the danger and the suspenseful scenes, then leading to frenetic action scenes. Craig's Bond also showed the same trait in CR & QoS.
  • edited March 1 Posts: 2,911

Yeah. An impulsive Bond. Although, Dalton's Bond had this paranoia thing about him. That's why he's always called the most literary James Bond. Dalton's Bond really knew how to sell the danger and the suspenseful scenes, then leading to frenetic action scenes. Craig's Bond also showed the same trait in CR & QoS.

I love how Dalton’s Bond in LTK infiltrates Sanchez’s group. When you think about it it’s an absurdly dangerous thing to even make himself known to Sanchez, much less use his real name (if Dario had seen Bond around earlier he’d have been dead), and he’s constantly thinking on his feet to come up with bluffs. I find it similar to Craig’s Bond in SF when he gets to Silva’s island. Instead of sneaking off the boat and trying to infiltrate the island (which probably wouldn’t have worked) he just makes himself known and willingly gets captured in order to move things along (and it arguably even puts Silva’s guard down/allows Bond time to get back-up in).

Both decisions are reckless and put not only Bond but others in danger too. They’re very much gambles and don’t even pay off as expected. But it’s very much a trait of Fleming’s Bond. In DAF he essentially blows his cover (for little other reason other than he’s not really getting anywhere and wants to put the villains on the back foot) by disobeying the Mafia’s orders/continuing to gamble and winning after playing a fixed card game. It even results in the death of his driver and him getting captured.
  • I've just watched the outfit. I propose Johnny Flynn as a contender.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I've just watched the outfit. I propose Johnny Flynn as a contender.

He's been mentioned before. I really like him, but he's another candidate who's just into his forties, so probably just a little too old. He really has been great in everything I've seen him in, though (Beast is worth checking out).
  • edited March 2 Posts: 6,677
    I've just watched the outfit. I propose Johnny Flynn as a contender.

He's been mentioned before. I really like him, but he's another candidate who's just into his forties, so probably just a little too old. He really has been great in everything I've seen him in, though (Beast is worth checking out).

Wasn't he Fleming himself in Operation Mincemeat?

johnny-flynn-1652712180995.jpg

Here's him next to a Bond-should-have-been.

stream_1920x1080x0_v2_3_0.jpg

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I really think Leo Suter is the one to watch. As someone who thinks that Hugh Jackman would have made a great Bond, combining the lightness and charm of Moore with the physicality and intensity of Craig, Suter seems to possess the same qualities. He could be a Bond for a new era who can balance the light and serious. He has a great voice and is extremely likable; He would make a great ambassador for the Bond franchise

Here are two interviews; the first shows his charm, as well as a clean cut look, and he even introduces his character as "young Stringer, James Stringer". His section picks up at about the 7:40 mark.

The second shows his physicality; for those who find him too muscular he mentions training up or down for a role

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @talos7 I completely agree mate. He's perhaps one breakout role away from being considered by the public, but maybe him not being on public lists will be in his favour?
    I don't think anyone (aside from @Pierce2Daniel on here) was suggesting Cary Fukunaga as a director for NTTD, for example.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    He's certainly growing on me, @talos7
    Most definitely an actor who should get an audition methinks.
    A new name to consider... Cosmo Jarvis.

He is currently starring in a TV adaption of my favourite book Shogun on Disney and is playing the lead Richard Chamberlain role from the 1980s version for any others old enough to remember it!

British actor and musician, 34 and has had a few film roles but nothing breakout yet. What caught the eye was the intensity and Charisma (albeit only two episodes in so far) which makes you watch him when he is on screen. He also has an interesting look.

not sure if he is right but will definitely be watching the rest of the series with interest.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    TFC1 wrote: »
    A new name to consider... Cosmo Jarvis.

He is currently starring in a TV adaption of my favourite book Shogun on Disney and is playing the lead Richard Chamberlain role from the 1980s version for any others old enough to remember it!

British actor and musician, 34 and has had a few film roles but nothing breakout yet. What caught the eye was the intensity and Charisma (albeit only two episodes in so far) which makes you watch him when he is on screen. He also has an interesting look.

not sure if he is right but will definitely be watching the rest of the series with interest.
    He's not a new name around here, several of us have brought him up before, Pierce2Daniel being the first in 2018. He's an interesting actor and the right age, and I knew that once Shogun came out he'd be mentioned again. He can look very different from role to role - check out Lady Macbeth and Calm With Horses to see his acting range is pretty decent.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I find Cosmo Jarvis more suited for the villain role. He may not have that special charisma that Babs is looking for and found in Craig.
  • edited March 4 Posts: 2,911
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I find Cosmo Jarvis more suited for the villain role. He may not have that special charisma that Babs is looking for and found in Craig.

Yeah, completely agree. I think for me there’s just a sense that he’s too muscular, too chiseled looking etc. I think Bond needs to have certain qualities (athletic, handsome), but there also needs to be a warmth and slight ‘underdog’ quality to him too.

But I can definitely see Jarvis playing a great henchman. Also the fact that his screen name is Cosmo is something I find funny for some reason.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I really think Leo Suter is the one to watch. As someone who thinks that Hugh Jackman would have made a great Bond, combining the lightness and charm of Moore with the physicality and intensity of Craig, Suter seems to possess the same qualities. He could be a Bond for a new era who can balance the light and serious. He has a great voice and is extremely likable; He would make a great ambassador for the Bond franchise

Here are two interviews; the first shows his charm, as well as a clean cut look, and he even introduces his character as "young Stringer, James Stringer". His section picks up at about the 7:40 mark.

The second shows his physicality; for those who find him too muscular he mentions training up or down for a role

He's the right age, right background, that's for sure. Not a big name, but a few roles. I could see him getting it for sure.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited March 4 Posts: 4,312
    It's funny how Suter can be so different in a role. Based on the interview I would have said he is too handsome and almost too roger-moore-ish. But then as a Viking...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    zebrafish wrote: »
    It's funny how Suter can be so different in a role. Based on the interview I would have said he is too handsome and almost too roger-moore-ish. But then as a Viking...

Exactly…
    I'm starting to warm up to Suter. Just keep his hair well cut and dark, with no ridiculous highlights. I like his voice and attitude.
    Cosmo Jarvis looks like an MMA fighter, but that means he looks like he's been punched in the face a lot.
    Voice could be smoother. Punching was weak.
    Our agent should be an expert with throwing weapons....