Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 25 Posts: 1,368
    I think Green's body language have nothing to do with Bond. It's more like her now being a veteran and legend and sitting with a newbie. Plus, Green is a deep introvert. Not sure she's easily blown away by men too.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    She's thinking: "Dammit, I thought they said I'd be sitting next to Aidan Turner"
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 26 Posts: 2,932
    Benny wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but Callum Turner just doesn't convey Bond too me...something about his look, doesn't suggest James Bond too me.
    Same, tbh. I just don't see it. Although, having said that, I couldn't see Dan as Bond either - until I actually saw him as Bond! Strangely, Turner could probably play Hoagy Carmichael in a biopic.

She's thinking: "Dammit, I thought they said I'd be sitting next to Aidan Turner"
    :))
  • They're casting an almost 49 y/o as Mister Fantastic. Men are looking very good in their forties and fifties in this day and age. Trust the older men lol
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    I'm sorry, but Callum Turner just doesn't convey Bond too me.
    He is a fine actor, don't get me wrong, I find nothing wrong about that. However something about his look, doesn't suggest James Bond too me. I can't pinpoint what it is, but I'd be initially disappointed if he was cast.
    I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt, but he'd really have to sell it too me.

A 100% on point, yet again
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 25 Posts: 1,368
    Same as Craig. He didn't look the part to most people, until he said "Yes, Considerably". Not saying Callum Turner must be James Bond. But most actors don't look the part, until they act the part.
    I think to give ourselves a clue of who Barbara would pick, we should be looking at actors, we can't see in the part. I don't know if it's true or not, but I kept hearing that Barbara wanted Sean Bean as James Bond over Pierce Brosnan. But if feels true, because of how she chose Craig over guys like Clive Owen and Julian McMahon. But I think McMahon would have been great as well.
    Problem is, if Sean Bean had played Bond, we would’ve been complaining about Bond dying in GE ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 25 Posts: 17,810
    Univex wrote: »
    Problem is, if Sean Bean had played Bond, we would’ve been complaining about Bond dying in GE ;)

Complaining about Bond dying? We don't want to go down that road again. ;)
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Late 30s early 40s forever!
    6b26cc845e14c45105664584da3f6d02.gif

Very nice GIF!
    Yes, I'd prefer a Bond in this age range.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 25 Posts: 2,932
    Yes, it's an old rumour that BB wanted Sean Bean as Bond, but was overruled by Cubby. Don't know if it's true, but it's plausible - in the sense that you can believe BB wanting to cast against type and you can also believe that Cubby would've vetoed Bean on looks/height alone. Mind you, there's also the other old rumour that Cubby held out for Dalton to come back for GE but was pretty much told by the studio that they'd only finance the film if Brosnan got the gig. Who knows.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    007HallY wrote: »
    I like Ritchie, but I’m not sure if he’s right. I feel his action scenes, while often fun and great, can feel a bit too stylised for Bond (I don’t mean in terms of concept or stunt, but simply in terms of how they’re shot and edited if that makes sense). I’d say the same about the likes of Mathew Vaughn or Gareth Evans. I’d prefer to see a director more used to stripping things back.
    That's why I think Ritchie is a good option. I don't want another Michael Apted.

Aw what's wrong with Apted? Speaking of lesser known British directors, I just remembered that (the also sadly departed) Roger Michell was due to direct Quantum. I'd have loved to have seen that, as I love a lot of his work.
    Then again, I'm now a big fan of the film as directed by Forster, even though I was left feeling deflated and confused after the first viewing upon it's release. It's now one of my favourites!...
    tumblr_inline_mk1dyzb24V1qz4rgp.gif
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'll be sitting in the cinema on opening night no matter who is cast.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'll be sitting in the cinema on opening night no matter who is cast.

I think most of us will, even if we claim otherwise!
  • PaoChanelPaoChanel USA
    Henry Cavill or Sam Heughan for the next Bond. Period.

Theo James should be cast in one of the huge Fay fantasy shows coming up, either as Xaden in Empyrean series, Rhysand in ACOTAR, or Hunt or Ruhn in Crescent City. He strikes me as a Fey male, not Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 26 Posts: 5,869
    The funny thing is that I’ve always thought Edgerton would be a good Felix Leiter…

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 29 Posts: 8,090
    Continuing from the bond 26 thread...

Harry styles would be a smart choice to hook in the under 30 demographic, something they desperately need to do. Personally I don't think the next actor will be a complete unknown, but that doesn't mean it won't be someone out of left field like Styles or possibly Holland.

For me, there's still no substitutes.

3032cb2715d81e1bcde9131c86a2778f.jpg
    A part of getting more under 30s will be, in part, based on the actor, no doubt. But I don’t think Styles would add much in this area. As I said in the other thread a lot of his fan base won’t necessarily be Bond fans, and I don’t think his involvement in his other movies propelled them to a high degree of success. A good charismatic actor with a sense of humour offscreen would be an asset, and would be more beneficial in this area. Anyway, I think Styles is a wonderful Pop Star - he doesn’t need Bond just as much as Bond doesn’t need him. And fundamentally I don’t think he’s right for the part.
    For me Aidan Turner just exudes the type of crowd pleasing bond energy that people miss, and IMO he's starting to age into bond, whereas 5 years ago he looked a bit too youthful. If they are going for the broad approach of Moore and Brosnan, then I think he would be perfect for that.
  • edited February 29 Posts: 2,911
    I know one of the last things Turner said about the part was that he values having a degree of privacy that he wouldn’t get if he took such a role, so I’m not sure if he’s that keen. He’s had Bond rumours attached to him for so long now. He must be sick of having to answer questions about a role he may not even be that interested in, and may never play.

I think he’s a good actor, but I personally don’t see anything special that he could bring. He strikes me as more Dalton-esque than Moore or Brosnan honestly, much more subtle and intense. I don’t think his age is a problem at all, but I can see him not even being on EON’s radar if he’s not what they’re looking for from this particular version of Bond.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Harry styles would be a smart choice to hook in the under 30 demographic, something they desperately need to do. Personally I don't think the next actor will be a complete unknown, but that doesn't mean it won't be someone out of left field like Styles or possibly Holland.

So we’re going for a mix of Magnum PI and Manuel from Fawlty Towers.
  • Benny wrote: »

So we’re going for a mix of Magnum PI and Manuel from Fawlty Towers.

😂🤣
  • edited February 29 Posts: 693
    What kind of Bond do you want to see? @Benny
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

The only answer I can give is, the right one.
    In the history of the franchise, we’ve never had a dud Bond.
    Sure some of the actors haven’t been as well received by the public. But as Bond fans, all the Bond actors have appealed to a certain fan group.
    I have no reason then , to doubt that this should not continue. When the time comes to cast and announce the next Bond, I’m quietly confident it’ll be the right choice.
    edited February 29 Posts: 8,090
    007HallY wrote: »
    I know one of the last things Turner said about the part was that he values having a degree of privacy that he wouldn’t get if he took such a role, so I’m not sure if he’s that keen. He’s had Bond rumours attached to him for so long now. He must be sick of having to answer questions about a role he may not even be that interested in, and may never play.

I think he’s a good actor, but I personally don’t see anything special that he could bring. He strikes me as more Dalton-esque than Moore or Brosnan honestly, much more subtle and intense. I don’t think his age is a problem at all, but I can see him not even being on EON’s radar if he’s not what they’re looking for from this particular version of Bond.

Every bond actor starts out playing it how they think the audience expects, and ends up just doing what comes naturally. Roger was naturally charming and self-deprecating so that's how he played it, Brosnan was smooth and debonair, Craig was grumpy and abrasive, Dalton was brooding and intense. While I agree Turner resembles dalton in the looks department - they share that dark aura - I think based on interviews his Bond would be very much cut from the same clothe as Brosnan and Moore. There's a reason he was cast as the sexy, handsome hobbit who got the girl (kinda).

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I found this photo on line and tweaked the hair a bit.

QpFl9sJ.jpeg
  • What kind if Bond do you want to see? @Benny

The only answer I can give is, the right one.
    In the history of the franchise, we’ve never had a dud Bond.
    Sure some of the actors haven’t been as well received by the public. But as Bond fans, all the Bond actors have appealed to a certain fan group.
    I have no reason then , to doubt that this should not continue. When the time comes to cast and announce the next Bond, I’m quietly confident it’ll be the right choice.

Good answer! The reason I ask is to see if I can model myself on some qualities of the character that are desired. To the be the best of the best.
    He's got those Watermelon Sugar

Eyes.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    He is a very successful singer with loads of money. Him being Bond is pure fan-fantasy and we should probably discuss actors with a real chance of becoming Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    zebrafish wrote: »
    He is a very successful singer with loads of money. Him being Bond is pure fan-fantasy and we should probably discuss actors with a real chance of becoming Bond.

At this stage thinking outside of the box is part of the process. Many successful singers have become very successful actors and actresses, some even Oscar winners.

zebrafish wrote: »

I personally wouldn't want him as Bond at all, but that's just me.