Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    UK prime minister Rishi Sunak threw his hat in the ring on Wednesday:

“Barbara, I hear you might be casting for a special vacancy. Wise politicians always keep their options open. So I just wanted to say, if you’re looking for someone with conflict experience, a strong track record of handling evil villains, or indeed someone who is comfortable with the risk of being replaced in a few years, then I’m your man.”

https://deadline.com/2024/02/christopher-nolan-rishi-sunak-bfi-denis-villeneuve-1235826377/

With any luck, he'll be out of a job soon. So he will be available.

He'll be too busy in his new job of heading a multinational company. Plus, he couldn't afford the drop in wages.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 17 Posts: 2,928
    Aidan Turner barely looks older now than he did a decade ago. Looking at that new clip, I honestly can't envisage a scenario in which Cubby wouldn't have snapped him up years ago - or any reason why he wouldn't sign him now.
  • edited February 17 Posts: 6,677
    Aidan Turner is still the best option, IMO. And Theo right after him. At least they look and sound like men, and have acting chops, and age gracefully as some have said.

And why wouldn't they play Bond from their 40s to their 60s? What's wrong with that couple of decades? A Commander is more believable in that demographic, right? It seems there's some misconception that lower demographics want people their own age or close to play their heroes. Are we ready to cater to this notion? Are we ready to bow to younger generations because they are the ones that go to the theaters? In my experience and from many other narratives, I believe that there is a huge portion of avid cinema goers that is composed of older people. Not old, older. I do understand all of the points being made. Specially your post, @thelivingroyale, which is very lucid. I'm just not ready to concede that starting young so they can span over two decades in their 30s and 40s is the new absolute for Bond. Bond could, IMO, be in his 40s and even 50s, if played by the right actor.

Aidan Turner and Theo James are not too old to play James Bond. And they won't be too old for a couple of years. All IMHO, of course.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Univex wrote: »
    Aidan Turner is still the best option, IMO. And Theo right after him. At least they look and sound like men, and have acting chops, and age gracefully as some have said.

And why wouldn't they play Bond from their 40s to their 60s? What's wrong with that couple of decades? A Commander is more believable in that demographic, right? It seems there's some misconception that lower demographics want people their own age or close to play their heroes. Are we ready to cater to this notion? Are we ready to bow to younger generations because they are the ones that go to the theaters? In my experience and from many other narratives, I believe that there is a huge portion of avid cinema goers that is composed of older people. Not old, older. I do understand all of the points being made. Specially your post, @thelivingroyale, which is very lucid. I'm just not ready to concede that starting young so they can span over two decades in their 30s and 40s is the new absolute for Bond. Bond could, IMO, be in his 40s and even 50s, if played by the right actor.

Aidan Turner and Theo James are not too old to play James Bond. And they won't be too old for a couple of years. All IMHO, of course.

Honestly I think Brosnan could have played bond until the 2010's quite convincingly. The days of actors turning 40 and becoming bloated, haggered shadows of their younger selves are long gone, and it's not as if Bond does much philandering nowadays anyway, so why should it matter whether he's 45 or 55?
  • edited February 17 Posts: 12,837
    it's not as if Bond does much philandering nowadays anyway

Even if he stops shagging around (doubtful, I think NTTD was pretty obviously a one off, and Craig’s age could’ve been a factor there), there’s always going to be a female lead, and chances are 99% of the time she’s going to be a fit young woman in her 30s. Sometimes even late 20s.

I don’t think they should try too hard to appeal to young people @Univex, it’s a fine line. But it is something they’ll be thinking about for the sake of longetivity, and I don’t think young people particularly want to see a man in his 50s shagging someone decades younger than he is. That’s not to say Theo James or Aidan Turner are too old now. But assuming we get Bond 25 in 2027 or 2028 (as you’ve predicted Mendes, and I agree), Turner would be 44 or 45. Meaning he’d be pushing 50 by his second film, or maybe even turning 50 with these long gaps, and likely in his 50s by film three. If they want him to do five, he’d probably be pushing 60 by his last one.

I’d be well up for an older actor knocking out a quick trilogy but that just doesn’t seem to be how they’re approaching it. I think they’ll want a long term investment. And it’s a fair point about the commander title, tough to imagine it on some suggestions we’ve had, but to be fair, it was always just a title. He was never an actual Naval commander. And he’s been depicted in his thirties and played by actors of that age before.

I will agree they’re both aging very well, and James is still one of my favourite suggestions. But I just can’t see either happening at this point.
    Anybody mentioned Marc Rhys? Throwing his name out there for the sake of it. 35 now, Welsh, tall, handsome. Maybe too handsome actually, too soft. I'm not convinced at all, I've only seen him in one romcom, but hey who knows.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Anybody mentioned Marc Rhys? Throwing his name out there for the sake of it. 35 now, Welsh, tall, handsome. Maybe too handsome actually, too soft. I'm not convinced at all, I've only seen him in one romcom, but hey who knows.

Are you recommending or dismissing him? Haha. Could be a henchman with the long hair.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I watched The Last Letter from Your Lover last night. Calum Turner is interesting as an actor, but I still don't know if he'd work as Bond; Joe Alwyn, occasionally mentioned round these parts, was also in the film and is much easier to see in the role, though I would like him to dye his hair black to be more on-model.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I watched The Last Letter from Your Lover last night. Calum Turner is interesting as an actor, but I still don't know if he'd work as Bond; Joe Alwyn, occasionally mentioned round these parts, was also in the film and is much easier to see in the role, though I would like him to dye his hair black to be more on-model.

I’m not familiar with him; I pulled up a couple of interviews and he has a good voice and presence. It would not surprise me if he became a part of the conversation as casting progresses.
  • Leo Suter as James Bond:

r0y5txk2yuhc1.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=8e59ce40e4fef4e66619a33f7b63db61774728c1
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Leo Suter as James Bond:

r0y5txk2yuhc1.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=8e59ce40e4fef4e66619a33f7b63db61774728c1

He looks great. In fact, I would not have recognised him, he looks so very Timothy Dalton. Is that a genuine shot or is it a photoshop/A.I. sleight of hand?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    He has a kind of Dalton / Brosnan look in that shot.
    If it’s genuine, then I hope he’s on the EON shortlist.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Vidnoz (logo bottom left corner) is AI. It's not real.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    Vidnoz (logo bottom left corner) is AI. It's not real.
    I was going to write it, but you were quicker.

Regarding Leo Suter, I don't know his acting abilities, but he has the physique and the age. Not a favourite of mine, but a good potential contender none the less.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    AI altered pictures creep me out for some reason. I do think Suter would be great in the role though
    It is AI but does give a hint as to how he could look as Bond.

Personally I think the hair is a little too “fluffy” , a problem that plagued Moore in his later films, Dalton, and Brosnan in Goldeneye
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »

Personally I think the hair is a little too “fluffy” , a problem that plagued Moore in his later films, Dalton, and Brosnan in Goldeneye

Now see, I actually loved Brosnan's hair in GE and wish he kept it like that for at least another installment.
    Yes, I'm not sure if we're going to get a hairstyle like that for Bond again anytime soon.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

Now see, I actually loved Brosnan's hair in GE and wish he kept it like that for at least another installment.

Agree fully. Looked great + sexy for the ladies
    I find it funny how as the Brosnan films went on his hair increasingly gained the ability to stay in perfect shape even after fight scenes or running around. I don't think I remember seeing a single hair of his being out of place throughout the whole of TWINE, even if he'd been underwater.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Are you recommending or dismissing him? Haha. Could be a henchman with the long hair.

I'm throwing his name out there just in case. Frankly I'm just going through Netflix at the moment looking for British actors who could hypothetically play Bond.
    Norton was fine in Bob marley honestly if he was the next 007 i wouldnt complain and i wouldnt be excited i would just be ok…

In fact there isnt a single actor (since fassbender and hardy are “too old”) that would have me super excited

I am trying to get excited about ATJ because i would be shocked if it wasnt him but yeah
  • edited February 22 Posts: 6,677
    Theo James' Layer Cake? ;)

Wow, possibly; If he is not yet on EoN’s radar, this could do it.
  • That looks great. Loved the film apart from the attempted rape bit and it looks like a fun sequel. Brilliant cast. My money’s still on them going for someone younger though.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited February 22 Posts: 1,430
    that looks good
  • What Leo Suter might look like as Bond.

Credit due to The ShadowOperator007 at Reddit.

here-is-what-mark-rowley-the-last-kingdom-or-leo-suter-v0-r0y5txk2yuhc1.png?width=864&format=png&auto=webp&s=067f6f1dd2a54fd0305d369e09c5d405a2406c99
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Leo Suter as James Bond:

I genuinely thought that was a photo of Timothy Dalton for a few seconds there. That can only be a good thing!
  • edited February 22 Posts: 17,291
    Univex wrote: »
    Theo James' Layer Cake? ;)

I'm so going to watch this once it's released. It's easily the best Netflix promo I've seen in a while.