Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm a pessimist, but even I don't believe Barbara Broccoli has no intention of making another Bond. I'm sure a small hiatus was planned when they decided to kill off Bond, otherwise it just looks cheap and has no weight, imo.

They didn't put that 'Bond will return' line in the credits out of reflex.

Imagine if they did. Biggest "oops" in the history of filmmaking, I reckon. :-D
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Lol.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 16 Posts: 5,869
    Honestly I think its kinda unfair and disrespectful to the legacy of Barbara Broccoli. Her and Michael have been great leaders. They might not have given you everything you wanted and there have been some bumps along the way, but they've kept the franchise alive and given us many extremely successful entries and some not so much that were still successful in the grand scheme of the series and the industry as a whole.

This desire to have her quit or be fired is just finger pointing at best and doing so won't get you whatever you're looking for. Losing EON or specifically Barbara would damage the series in my opinion and turn it into a cardboard copy of itself in the hands of other producers who would just see dollar signs in their future.
  • edited February 16 Posts: 2,901
    I like how a brief comment can elicit Bond fans analysing it. But as others have said she's not going to reveal any details at a script development/planning stage, and in the most straightforward sense nothing likely is happening (ie. the film is not being made, which means it not in pre-production, but could well be at the initial stage I mentioned).

I guess I just analysed it, come to think of it... oh well.
    edited February 16 Posts: 23,548
    007HallY wrote: »
    I like how a brief comment can elicit Bond fans analysing it. But as others have said she's not going to reveal any details at a script development/planning stage, and in the most straightforward sense nothing likely is happening (ie. the film is not being made, which means it not in pre-production, but could well be at the initial stage I mentioned).

We all analyse these things because we care. :-) These brief bits of news also function as Rorschach tests: we often read into them what we want. And that's fine. I simply think that the most pessimistic interpretation -- "Barbara doesn't want to make more Bond films!" -- is unnecessary. I don't think she alone has the power to make such a decision, and I'm sure she does want to make more films (or have others make more Bond films.)
  • edited February 16 Posts: 2,901
    DarthDimi wrote: »

We all analyse these things because we care. :-) These brief bits of news also function as Rorschach tests: we often read into them what we want. And that's fine. I simply think that the most pessimistic interpretation -- "Barbara doesn't want to make more Bond films!" -- is unnecessary. I don't think she alone has the power to make such a decision, and I'm sure she does want to make more films (or have others make more Bond films.)

Oh yeah, agreed. There's nothing to suggest she doesn't want to make these films. I'm pretty sure we as fans tend to oversimplify the amount of time and development needed just lay the foundation of these movies too. It's not necessarily a job many would want if they knew the ins and outs (and honestly, having read what the majority of us write in terms of direction the series should take, I think it's for the best she and EON are at the helm - pretty sure most of us would have destroyed the series by now!)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Not to mention the amount of money involved in all of these decisions.
  • edited February 16 Posts: 704

"Want" is not the word. Maybe she's tired.

Oh yeah, agreed. There's nothing to suggest she doesn't want to make these films. I'm pretty sure we as fans tend to oversimplify the amount of time and development needed just lay the foundation of these movies too. It's not necessarily a job many would want if they knew the ins and outs (and honestly, having read what the majority of us write in terms of direction the series should take, I think it's for the best she and EON are at the helm - pretty sure most of us would have destroyed the series by now!)

Absolutely. Nowadays, you don't *just* make another film that will cost a few hundred million dollars. I am convinced that it is a very time- and energy-consuming endeavour.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Not to mention the amount of money involved in all of these decisions.

And looking at Disney, even the biggest studios sitting on a pile of money start feeling the pain when these incredibly expensive projects aren't sufficiently profitable. Bond films have become costly projects; you don't *just* churn out the next one.
  • So the Bond 26 update is there is no update. What a suprise. We ain't going t9 get the film until 2026 at earliest I suspect once Amazon have signed off on it.
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    am i the only one who finds Denis Villeneuve and his missus sitting with Barbara very interesting , considering he was at one time strongly rumoured to be Bond 25s director
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    So the Bond 26 update is there is no update. What a suprise. We ain't going t9 get the film until 2026 at earliest I suspect once Amazon have signed off on it.

Could Pinewood even accommodate the Bond 26 production in late 2025 and into the first half of 2026? Appreciate Bond can move elsewhere when required but these sound stages and studios are booked up years ahead.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 16 Posts: 5,869
    I do find it interesting that we’ve gone above and beyond to discuss and accept what a mammoth task EON have ahead of them following Craig, the death of that version of the character, finding Bond’s new place in the world, yet we can’t accept that this will take sufficient time. Why should EON start running before they can walk? Why share information or give status reports when even if names and ideas are being thrown around, nothing is concrete.

I also think the industries lacking some mystery at the moment anyway. Every move Disney or WB make at the moment is reported ahead of time, let’s be grateful for our ability to be teased and surprised.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 16 Posts: 2,928
    I grew up working class in the North of England under Thatcher, so I'm a pessimist who expects the worst. Despite that, as Darth Dimi noted, BB used the word 'yet' - 'nothing's happening yet.' The implication of that word is that something will be happening in future. James Bond will return.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I wouldn't be surprised if Barbara was just being coy, the last thing we need is a running commentary of how the process is going.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited February 16 Posts: 652
    Between no Bond 26 and a Bond 26 starring Aaron Taylor Johnson, I'd choose no Bond 26.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Why is no one also analyzing this exchange?:

I nodded towards director Denis Villeneuve, in town for the world premiere Thursday of his exciting Dune: Part Two, who was seated with Dune producer and documentarian Tanya Lapointe at Broccoli’s table, and when I asked if she’d discussed the next Bond with him, she avoided the question. “I must go and say goodnight to the Prime Minister,” she uttered.

Villeneuve met with Broccoli and wanted to direct Craig in his last film, but he couldn’t make the schedule work as he was already in preproduction for Dune.

Now he’s at her table last night…

Broccoli brushed away the annoying press.

She has nothing to tell us, but there are things moving.
    Would a running commentary of how the process is going be a bad thing? If she is being coy, why?
    peter wrote: »
    Why is no one also analyzing this exchange?:

I nodded towards director Denis Villeneuve, in town for the world premiere Thursday of his exciting Dune: Part Two, who was seated with Dune producer and documentarian Tanya Lapointe at Broccoli’s table, and when I asked if she’d discussed the next Bond with him, she avoided the question. “I must go and say goodnight to the Prime Minister,” she uttered.

Villeneuve met with Broccoli and wanted to direct Craig in his last film, but he couldn’t make the schedule work as he was already in preproduction for Dune.

Now he’s at her table last night…

Broccoli brushed away the annoying press.

She has nothing to tell us, but there are things moving.

This is very exciting, @peter. Love Villeneuve. But hasn’t he got a lot of projects already on his future plate? I mean, being the big Bond fan that he is, I’m sure he’d put them aside for the opportunity.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited February 16 Posts: 8,502
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Would a running commentary of how the process is going be a bad thing? If she is being coy, why?

For many reasons; I just posted something about my own producer yesterday; she holds as many cards to her chest, before announcing anything, including our cast, and usually makes no, NO, announcement until first week of principal!

Why, @CrabKey ? Because in the film industry, things fall apart daily. If you announce you’re about to cast so-and-so as M, and the next morning, they pull out because of scheduling conflicts, then you look like an idiot. If you make several announcements during development and preproduction that all fall apart (par for the course, even for EoN (look at locations that changes for example (India to Turkey)), then you’d look like an impulsive producer, with no control, making announcements before locking things!

You don’t announce anything until the very last moment… when you are sure everything is locked!

EDIT: @Univex , it is exciting because we know how close Villeneuve came to directing Craig in his last film (scheduling of Dune’s preproduction stopped everything in their tracks); these two want this to happen. Will it? I don’t know. But I’m guessing they will try and get Villeneuve attached (and then it’s up to his managers and agents to massage his busy film schedule…. , but, I imagine, as a fan that he is, getting the chance not only to direct a Bond film, but be a part of launching the new era, must be tempting.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Blind faith.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Blind faith.

What'd you mean? Am I speaking out of turn? Do you really think nothing is happening on Bond? Why? Because EoN aren’t telling us their every phone call? Their every lunch meeting? Why would you say that @Birdleson ?
    @Peter - I can see that within the industry itself. I'm not sure the general public takes note of those things. When I read of changes taking place, I don't regard them as failures on the part of filmmakers or think of them as idiots. Thanks for the insight.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    CrabKey wrote: »
    @Peter - I can see that within the industry itself. I'm not sure the general public takes note of those things. When I read of changes taking place, I don't regard them as failures on the part of filmmakers or think of them as idiots. Thanks for the insight.

Well, @CrabKey , a very fine point and to expand; my producer has held back announcements not just to keep information from the public, but just as much to keep info out of other producers hands (who is being cast, and who is directing). The film industry is as much about elbows to the face, as it is limousines and award ceremonies. If anyone doubts any of this, please contact me privately and I will show you texts I’ve received about this exact thing, 😂.

It’s not hyperbole or blind faith, 😂

Edit: I’m texting and walking, so reconstructed a puzzling first line— hope the edit is clearer.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Unlike some, I don't beat a discussion to death (or take up every contrasting comment as a call to arms). My point was made.
  • edited February 16 Posts: 6,677
    Villeneuve for Bond26’s director chair, now, wouldn’t that be something. I, for one, would be very excited. No harm in imagining it at this point. I mean, what would one say about a Villeneuve Bond film?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Unlike some, I don't beat a discussion to death (or take up every contrasting comment as a call to arms). My point was made.

I still don’t understand your point, @Birdleson . Am I beating a discussion to death? I just joined it about an hour ago?

I’m being honest: what do you mean by blind faith? And are you pointing a finger at me, as a mod, saying I’m beating to death this discussion?

I’m obviously obtuse, and I don’t get, nor understand your messaging.
    Denis V would make what he's been making....snores...Blade Runner sequel...Dune...snnooooorresss...
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited February 16 Posts: 1,006
    Certainly more excited about Denis Villaneuve than I am for Nolan. I think pacing would be tightened up because, well, Bond isn't artistic/contemplative SciFi. Sicario moves along quite well.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited February 16 Posts: 1,430
    I just don't see Denis dropping everything for Bond anytime soon. We shouldn't want him for Bond 26 in that regard, he is very much booked. And I want Dune 3: Messiah this decade, over his Bond film, sorry. Plenty of people can make a good Bond movie now, Denis is busy and will get a shot if he really wanted, I'm sure. But 26 may not be it. Though, I imagine for BB, it would be one hell of a coup to get him to drop a few projects for your movie. That would be quite the headline.

In terms of the actual quotes of the evening... we're not getting any major news from a press pool side chat at a non-Eon event/venue. We shouldn't want little nuggets, we should want and expect something big. Something like a press conference, even.

I will say though, having interviewed her in a press setting myself within the past year, BB does seem a little... patient. But then again, from what I surmise, she always is aloof like that until there's money in play.