Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Does anyone here seriously find it likely that EON hasn't found their director yet? I find it more likely that they have, but have decided to keep it a secret for a little longer for some reason.

They may have directors in mind, or have consulted with directors to see if they would like to potentially helm Bond 26, but unless there is a more finished script, I cannot see them hiring a director just yet.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I don't think they have a director yet. I think they want a big gap between killing off Bond and starting a new incarnation.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I don't think they have a director yet. I think they want a big gap between killing off Bond and starting a new incarnation.

I've always thought so.
  • GBFGBF
    I'm a little worried that the time between the next films will be as long as it was last time under Craig. It could mean that every new film has to be longer, more emotional and more bombastic than its predecessor in order to justify the long wait. But these excesses come to an end quite quickly. It also loses meaning when another taboo has to be broken with every Bond film. I have the feeling that the recent Bond films were made as if there were no sequels. Because there has to be freedom for a successor. Not everything can be told and used up yet. Consider how long it took to build up a character like Blofeld in the first films in the series in the early 1960s. The myth was already badly damaged in SPECTER and then casually killed in NTTD.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It seemed longer because of the covid delays that pushed it almost 2 years. The initial release was November 2019, only 4 years past Spectre. I know that the differences with Boyle caused a little delay but still filming commenced in the earlier part of 2019.

I truly believe that EON backed themselves into a corner at this point and they don't know where to go. Combine that with changes within especially if Michael retires whom for 35 years was producing the films.

Let's compare large gaps in film franchise sequels and reboots.

Batman 1997-2005. 2012-2022
    Superman 1987-2006. 2006-2013
    Star Wars. 1983-1999. 2005-2015
    Lord of the Rings. 2003-2012

Even MI went 6 years between 2 and 3 another 5-1/2 between 3 and 4.

• GBFGBF
    It seemed longer because of the covid delays that pushed it almost 2 years. The initial release was November 2019, only 4 years past Spectre. I know that the differences with Boyle caused a little delay but still filming commenced in the earlier part of 2019.

I truly believe that EON backed themselves into a corner at this point and they don't know where to go. Combine that with changes within especially if Michael retires whom for 35 years was producing the films.

Let's compare large gaps in film franchise sequels and reboots.

Batman 1997-2005. 2012-2022
    Superman 1987-2006. 2006-2013
    Star Wars. 1983-1999. 2005-2015
    Lord of the Rings. 2003-2012

Even MI went 6 years between 2 and 3 another 5-1/2 between 3 and 4.

This is true. But I think one reason the franchise has survived as long as it has has been its consistency. You could just rely on Bond coming back within an acceptable time frame. This also made it possible for less successful films to be produced because one always knew that there would be a next - and perhaps better - film afterwards. There was also a strong relationship between each film that other franchises don't have. I think you can't compare the Star Wars films from different eras, for example, because there's just too much time between them. This is easily possible in Bond films and that's great. However, I fear that the production of the Bond films will become more and more similar to the production of these other franchises.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    And I think that's why they're stuck at the moment. Do they develop another self contained storyline or produce more standalone adventures
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 12 Posts: 2,928
    MGW's said that they always look at the response to a film before deciding which way to go with the next one. In the modern era, the change from QOS to SF is the clearest example of that. This suggests that they're going to take the next guy's run on a film-by-film basis, rather than having a pre-planned arc. Periods of reflection, rethinking and resetting between films are likely to increase the chances of longer gaps between them. This seems to be EON's practice, so I guess we should expect it for the foreseeable.
    I suppose it wasn't until Spectre that they developed it all into self contained storyline. Evident with SF having little to no reference to CR and QOS with those being basically one story in two films.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 12 Posts: 2,928
    I suppose it wasn't until Spectre that they developed it all into self contained storyline. Evident with SF having little to no reference to CR and QOS with those being basically one story in two films.

Yes and after QOS, when he was asked about future films dealing with Vesper/Quantum, Dan was quoted as saying something like 'I'm so ****ing done with that storyline'! Good job he didn't know what was coming, I guess.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Second generation wealth ....

Compare Barbara with her father, the business he created, the background he was from. Hard work and devotion to its success became a self perpetuating family enterprise of which he was the padrone. It was no longer just about the money, but a reason for being and a context for the family dynamic.

For the next generation, with its own interests, of necessity different from that of the father, it becomes more akin to a perpetual wealth generator. All the better when prestige is attached to it. That way it becomes collateral in facilitating other, "more interesting" projects. Being the "Bond producer" will open every door. So no need to actually made them that often. The prestige and the power have already accrued ....
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Nice observation @Feyador .
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 12 Posts: 5,979
    Except that Barbara and Michael accomplished quite a bit on their own in the '90s and '00s ...resuscitating the series with GE-DAD, casting Craig and the rest of the extraordinary actors in CR, etc.

You might want to poke around the Internet about Cubby a bit before you lionize him. Just saying. ;)
    I think Barbara and Michael are doing a fine job.
    Feyador wrote: »

Compare Barbara with her father, the business he created, the background he was from. Hard work and devotion to its success became a self perpetuating family enterprise of which he was the padrone. It was no longer just about the money, but a reason for being and a context for the family dynamic.

For the next generation, with its own interests, of necessity different from that of the father, it becomes more akin to a perpetual wealth generator. All the better when prestige is attached to it. That way it becomes collateral in facilitating other, "more interesting" projects. Being the "Bond producer" will open every door. So no need to actually made them that often. The prestige and the power have already accrued ....

Honest question — why does this post focus on Barbara Broccoli and not Michael Wilson, who has just as much say on the films as she does?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    BMB007 wrote: »

Honest question — why does this post focus on Barbara Broccoli and not Michael Wilson, who has just as much say on the films as she does?

Yes, and, being the original Bond producers, saw the two main guys become wealthier than God, they knee-capped their leading star and continued rolling in the dough….

https://www.nydailynews.com/2020/04/02/the-bond-market-how-two-men-made-millions-off-007/amp/

🤷‍♂️… it was always a business for a perpetual wealth generator…
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited February 12 Posts: 735
    BMB007 wrote: »

I mentioned Barbara by name and not Michael, that's true. My impression is that she is now lead among them. Perhaps I'm wrong. She's certainly younger and probably represents the future of the franchise more so than Michael. And so the generational contrast is sharper today with her father regarding the point of the post:

Why I don't think we will see Bond films for the foreseeable future at more than, say, one or two a decade.

Of course the blockbuster dynamic in which the series is situated seemingly demands the annual budget of a small country and an army to match in making then, so that shouldn't be discounted too ....

I don't actually have a problem with Bond films at an ever decreasing rate of release. And if there were no more I would be content with what we have. In such an unlikely scenario NTTD would have been a fitting conclusion.

As for the post above yours, my use of the word "padrone" suggest something less than a complete "lionization" of Albert R.

I also think Michael and Barbara have done a fine job with the films under their stewardship. The Craig years have personally reinvigorated my love of the entire series.

And I thank them for it.
  • Feyador wrote: »

The third generation is the worst. The second watched the hard work of the first one.
  • GBFGBF
    I still hope we will end up with a three year gap between Bond films. In the 60s 1 year was the normal waiting time for a new Bond film. From the 70s onwards it was 2 years until the late 90s (with the exception we all know too well after LTK). Three years seemed to have been the standard when Craig became Bond. There had been 4 Films between 2006 and 2015. NTTD was delayed by many unfortunate incidents including COVID. My fear is that there does not seem to remain any time pressure anymore. And five or six years will become normal for waiting for another Bond film.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2024/03/ian-fleming-killing-james-bond/677175/

This was an interesting article on Flemings desire to kill off Bond. It provides some context to the death of Bond in No Time To Die. Also, I agree with the author "The Black Daffodil" would be a great Bond movie title.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It's interesting that's there's hardly been any Bond rumours of late, calm before the storm maybe?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2024/03/ian-fleming-killing-james-bond/677175/

This was an interesting article on Flemings desire to kill off Bond. It provides some context to the death of Bond in No Time To Die. Also, I agree with the author "The Black Daffodil" would be a great Bond movie title.

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing, @Bentley007.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    It's interesting that's there's hardly been any Bond rumours of late, calm before the storm maybe?

Who knows. I'm as eager to find out as anyone else. I miss the second half of the nineties, when the next film was sure to come out in two years.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 13 Posts: 8,087
    In order for 2026 to still be viable they would have to have a actor chosen and announced by next summer. I think a more realistic timeframe is the 007 game releases 2025, actor announced 2026, new film in late 2027/first half of 2028.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In order for 2026 to still be viable they would have to have a actor chosen and announced by next summer. I think a more realistic timeframe is the 007 game releases 2025, actor announced 2026, new film in late 2027/first half of 2028.

Curious on what you base this off @Mendes4Lyfe
    Benny wrote: »

Curious on what you base this off @Mendes4Lyfe

I think its pretty self-explanatory. Based on the comments from Babs, Greg and having heard no official movement on Bond 26, even a website, it would seem that the chances of them having an actor already announced by next summer, and thus making that November 2026 release date, very low.
  • Four months are a lot of months.
    Four months are a lot of months.

EON have had 28 months since Bond 25 released.
  • edited February 13 Posts: 704
    Four months are a lot of months.

EON have had 28 months since Bond 25 released.

And they have more until 2026.
    Remenber, this year is 2024.
    52 since production completed
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Thanks for reminding me to read this! Fleming is a fascinating figure, warts and all.
    Am i the only one who would cheer at a shot for shot remake of a view to a kill just so we had something new lol

It has been 3 years 4 if you count when it was supposed to come out