Comments

It's a New World
    With New Enemies
    And New Threats
    But You Can Still Depend
    On One Man
    Johnson. Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

"Man"?
    An actor I've seen a couple of times I believe could make an interesting Bond is Jack O'Connell. He has that rough Craig edge to him. Others may be more familiar with him and think I may be way off the mark. He's certainly compelling on screen.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    CrabKey wrote: »
    An actor I've seen a couple of times I believe could make an interesting Bond is Jack O'Connell. He has that rough Craig edge to him. Others may be more familiar with him and think I may be way off the mark. He's certainly compelling on screen.

He’s listed as 5’8”, which probably means 7 or less. As someone who is a true 5’8”, that’s too short for Bond.
    @talos7 Film can make anyone look tall. Besides, it's 2024. Let's get over this short man B.S.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    @talos7 Film can make anyone look tall. Besides, it's 2024. Let's get over this short man B.S.

Not BS in the least. They should not have to make an actor look tall; Craig was just about the limit.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sope Dirisu is 6’1” or 185cm
    Perfect height for Bond.
    Also has a masculine voice. Great actor and Bondian qualities. He ticks all the right boxes.
    He's short. Not even worth discussing. Move along. This is not the Bond we're looking for.
    Let's move on, write me a script.
  • CrabKey wrote: »

Every time his name was brought up, and I mentioned it myself several times, it was argued that he was too small for the role. Honestly, I think that if Eon considers he is the best among the contenders, giving the best screen test, he will be chosen, no matter his height. But again, it will depend of who is the running. Regarding O'Connell, I think he has the look - his height being, again, the only major flaw to his casting.

MV5BMzVjNzBmZjYtYmE2MS00M2FhLTk4YzktYTc0YjIzOTA4YTYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg
    O’Connell may not have the height, but he has what all other so called candidates lack: gravitas. Oh, and acting chops. And the respect of many filmmakers. After seeing him in many productions, I’d be ok with his casting. He steals every scene he’s in.
  • edited January 14 Posts: 2,901
    O’Connell’s one I’ve noticed crops up again and again here. He’s very high on my favourites. And regarding his height I’d put it like this…

Is he a good age for the part? Yes, definitely. Even if the next film were not released until 3 years from now he could still potentially do at least 10 more years as Bond. Even then still be younger than Craig and Brosnan were during their last films.

Does he have talent? Yes. He’s proven he’s a strong character actor and is certainly versatile. I’d even say having watched Starred Up he moves very well onscreen (not just in terms of the fight scenes, but simply in terms of his walk/how he looked around a room when entering. For me there was something Bond-esque there even when his character wasn’t). He’s got gravitas, charisma, that more raw masculine energy we talk about, and as others have noted here he’s a more overtly expressive actor in comparison to Craig, so could stand out in the role.

Does he have a broad appeal? Well, yes. He’s appeared on British and American talk shows, and always comes off well and quite funny in a down to earth way for me. I can imagine younger men (or people in general) particularity who like the Bond films thinking the same. He’s a well regarded actor but isn’t ’Tom Cruise’ famous. I think quite a few British audiences would even recognise him.

Does he want to do it? He’s said yes in the past, but a long while ago so it may well have changed.

Does he have the ‘look’? A bit rough around the edges/more on the untraditional side but no more than Connery or Craig I think. He’s a good looking chap, and I can even see him having the ‘cruel mouth’ and ‘cold blue eyes’ in the right context, much like Craig. Good naturally deep voice, and he can do accents. He’s got a good physique and physicality as I mentioned.

I mean, I dunno, obviously I’m not EON/can’t see how he’d audition, but he’s ticking a lot of boxes for me personally. More than most of other actors I’ve seen mentioned. Add to that I’ve never once thought he’s looked short in his films. I’m not sure if he’d be passed because of his height alone if he were considered, and if one of the only flaws with a candidate is that they’re of average height, I’m not sure how terrible a flaw that is really.
    O’Connell has been my favourite “realistic” (obviously none of us know what will happen, but I think he seems to be in the realm of possibility for the reasons @007HallY mentioned) choice for the role for a while now. Terrific actor, commanding screen presence, young enough to make it feel fresh but still oozes masculinity in a way that hardly any actors his age do. The only thing I wasn’t sure he could pull off was the voice, but after seeing how much better at accents he’s gotten in Rogue Heroes, I think he could do it.
    Univex wrote: »
    O’Connell may not have the height, but he has what all other so called candidates lack: gravitas. Oh, and acting chops. And the respect of many filmmakers. After seeing him in many productions, I’d be ok with his casting. He steals every scene he’s in.

Glad you’ve come around on him mate, I remember you not being sold a couple of years ago. Makes me think he could win people over in the same way Craig did.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    O'Connell should play Wayne Rooney in his future biopic

The search continues
  • O'Connell should play Wayne Rooney in his future biopic
    He looks as much like Rooney as Roger Moore does... So it doesn't mean much.
    Its weird when most of the actors you honestly wanted have aged out and now your left with a new crop that you dont know or don’t like
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Its weird when most of the actors you honestly wanted have aged out and now your left with a new crop that you dont know or don’t like

Yeah that sums it up mate. Most of the actors who are 35 or under I can't envisage as Bond
  • Question to the people who don't like the idea of ATJ as Bond: is his voice the no. 1 reason you are against him playing Bond? If not, what is?
  • edited January 14 Posts: 2,901
    Question to the people who don't like the idea of ATJ as Bond: is his voice the no. 1 reason you are against him playing Bond? If not, what is?

I’m don’t dislike him, but I don’t think he’s the strongest potential. I don’t think his voice is an issue at all (plenty of great actors had relatively quite high pitched voices offscreen, but could either deepen them sufficiently or were very expressive in how they used their voices - Marlon Brando being a notable example of an actor who did both well). I think the biggest problem with ATJ is that I find he doesn’t always jump out at me when he’s onscreen to the point I find even good performances from him a bit forgettable. I know I’m not the only person who’s said that. I think he just lacks that extra bit of gravitas too. I’m sure if he’s picked he’d prove me wrong though. He’s otherwise a good actor.
    Question to the people who don't like the idea of ATJ as Bond: is his voice the no. 1 reason you are against him playing Bond? If not, what is?

Absolutely, it’s hideous; he sounds like a prepubescent boy. Also, for all of the charisma that some say that he possesses, I find him extremely bland .
  • Personally I find him to be a bit too smug.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Smug and forgettable. And the voice didn’t bother me in Bullet Train, but if Bullet Train were a Bond film, the voice would grate.
    Personally I find him to be a bit too smug.

It’s one thing to be smug and charismatic, but smug and bland is really obnoxious.
  • talos7 wrote: »
    Personally I find him to be a bit too smug.

It’s one thing to be smug and charismatic, but smug and bland is really obnoxious.

Agreed. Moore and Brosnan were the former, whereas I feel ATJ would fall under the latter category. Who knows I could be completely wrong though.
  • I agree that ATJ appears somewhat smug but is that necessarily a bad thing? I mean isnt Bond a bit smug?
  • edited January 14 Posts: 332
    I agree that ATJ appears somewhat smug but is that necessarily a bad thing? I mean isnt Bond a bit smug?

With a high pitched voice and zero screen presence its a bad thing.
    A high pitched voice is not limited to o him; it’s shockingly, and disheartening, just how many young actors have weak voices. Just why is that? Is it a lack of training, generational or something in the environment? It’s so strange.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    If finding a suitable young actor is hard. ( For us fans it seems to be, it may not be for EON and the casting director) Then what about going for an older actor.
    Also, following on from Daniel Craig could be a hard act to follow. But what if the actor chosen for Bond 26 already has experience. It's just a thought, but what if Pierce Brosnan came back for one film as James Bond. Obviously, Pierce is in his early 70's now, so he couldn't do as much action as he once did. A retired Bond called back to duty on one last mission, a sort of NSNA film, but made by EON.
    It probably doesn't sound as good as it did in my head, but I also thought it would make the transition from Craig to the next actor easier, if in between we had an aging former Bond. It's just a thought.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited January 14 Posts: 2,513

His voice is a stumbling block for me, I find him a bit forgettable in general, he vanishes into the roles but to the point were I wouldn't even know he was in it at all.

I do think he looks smug as well (I don't know anything about him personally) just the face he pulls when he's photographed, looks really arrogant.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    ATJ has resting Dwayne Johnson face. =))
    Q7OB2wwl.png
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Well just to offer up a different opinion, and this will come as no surprise, I personally don't mind his voice or the apparent smugness. I think he's a good actor with a good look, good instincts and enough talent in my eyes to create his own version of our favourite British spy.