Actors Who Could Have Played Bond Villains

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would love to see Hugh Laurie as a Bond villain. I've said it in other threads, but he would be excellent.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I would love to see Hugh Laurie as a Bond villain. I've said it in other threads, but he would be excellent.

Indeed. Hugh is amazing, and now he has all the time in the world for movies. I love listening to interviews of him. He does an amazing American accent, and the British isn't even noticeable.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I love when actors have such excellent accents that you completely forget they are of a different nationality. Take Christian Bale, Colin Farrell, or even Hugh Laurie: they play some great, immersive characters at times (American Psycho, In Bruges, and House, respectively) that I just don't even recognize the possibility of them being British or Irish.

And like we said when we spoke of the series finale of House: as sad as it is for the series to have ended, it's nice knowing Hugh Laurie can branch out to other projects now. Perhaps a villain for Bond 24? You never know.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I love when actors have such excellent accents that you completely forget they are of a different nationality. Take Christian Bale, Colin Farrell, or even Hugh Laurie: they play some great, immersive characters at times (American Psycho, In Bruges, and House, respectively) that I just don't even recognize the possibility of them being British or Irish.

And like we said when we spoke of the series finale of House: as sad as it is for the series to have ended, it's nice knowing Hugh Laurie can branch out to other projects now. Perhaps a villain for Bond 24? You never know.

Hugh even auditioned for House in an American accent, and no one there knew he was British. That is impressive. And in regards to House and its conclusion, along with the endings of all great TV shows, I remember a great quote I once read:

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. :)
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that's a great quote, and very true. We had season upon season of excellent, addictive material, that I really cannot wait to go back and rematch, time and time again.

As for his audition, I loved it. I believe it was during his filming of The Flight of the Phoenix, so he was already rugged and beaten looking, and he pulled off the accent flawlessly. I recall seeing an interview he had (on Ellen, I believe) where he said the hardest word for him to pronounce was "New York", so any time his friends asked him where he was going - if it were New York - he would flat-out lie.

I really hope he gets interested in upcoming projects within the coming months. I could understand working all of those years of your life on just one show, that you would probably want a break. But, I hope he returns soon, as I already miss his work.

If you haven't seen it, check out Street Kings. He isn't in the film too often, but he's always fun to see when he pops up in scenes.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    A great actor that could make a good Bond villain would be Dustin Hoffman. Though he's a bit old now, if he were a few years younger he could be nice.
    Other suggestions would be Bruce Willis, and even Mel Gibson.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    A great actor that could make a good Bond villain would be Dustin Hoffman. Though he's a bit old now, if he were a few years younger he could be nice.
    Other suggestions would be Bruce Willis, and even Mel Gibson.

One of the finest actors that will ever grace the screen. Rain Man alone shows his superb abilities, and The Death Of A Salesman is another great film I recommend. Dustin commands the screen in everything he is in. True acting expertise there.
    Dustin really is a great actor. I absolutely love Rain Man - truly moving performance. Even when I saw The Marathon Man a few months ago, I was in awe at how much I enjoyed myself. It even had a feeling of Bond in it at times, and I loved the film that much more because of it.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Yes, he could even combine with a Bond movie. Maybe for Bond 24? :)
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 126
    Without a doubt -Daniel Day Lewis.

Maybe JJ will get some guts and cast him as Kahn in a Star Trek Movie.

Could You Imagine DDL in a Scaramanga role in a Bond Movie ?

He IS the best actor on the planet. He will probably get a 3rd Oscar for ''Lincoln".
  • oo7oo7
    dafoe should have got a film not a game. i guess he could still come back
  • Charles Dance for the late '80s or early '90s would make a great Bond villian.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    oo7 wrote:

Dafoe for me is now too awesome to play a villain. After seeing him in 'The Hunter', he became one of the best actors in the planet, imo. I want Dafoe to play enigmatic, mysterious characters, but no more main villains. Dafoe is a genius, and from now on he should focus on playing in movies like The Hunter, which is a masterpiece (imo).
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 126
    at The risk of getting flamed out of this site, I'll say it once

Sean Connery.

others

Malcom Mcdowell-how that never happened in the 70's after " A Clockwork Orange" I have no idea.

David Bowie
    Albert Finney
    Lee J.Cobb-If they had an american mob main villian
    Robert Duvall-Maybe the best American Actor we have ever had. Better Than Pacino, De niro. He doesnt get enough credit
    Richard Attenborough
    Ben Kingsley-Did you guys like "Sneakers" ?
    oo7 wrote:

Dafoe for me is now too awesome to play a villain. After seeing him in 'The Hunter', he became one of the best actors in the planet, imo. I want Dafoe to play enigmatic, mysterious characters, but no more main villains. Dafoe is a genius, and from now on he should focus on playing in movies like The Hunter, which is a masterpiece (imo).

That movie has been on a 'Highly Anticipated' list of mine for quite some time now, and I was very happy to read that it's coming to Netflix Instant in a few weeks. I can't wait to watch it.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 53
    GARY OLDMAN. #noargument
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,894
    @Indyfanaticya

I Do watch the language, f-bombs especially.
    GARY OLDMAN. #noargument

For me, he was too good as a spy (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) to be a Bond villain, as much as I would love it (10 years ago I would've been all for it, sadly my perception of him has changed).

Every time I'd see Oldman and Bond on screen I'd be thinking, What's George Smiley up to now?" Even though I've seen him in many more villainous roles and thought he was excellent in them as well.

Maybe in 10 years give him as go as M? He's already been the head of MI6 in another fictional world.
    Werner Herzog would make a great Bond villain!
    Also, Joss Ackland in the 1980s and John Malkovich any time he likes. :)
    Ackland did well as 'Sath Afreekan' Arjen Rudd in Lethal Weapon II and also played a nasty type in Van Damme disappointment 'Nowhere to Run' I remember, but not all up on some of the actors other works, only to say I think he would of made a fun Bond villain at the right time, bit of a wasted opportunity really

Other names I would of liked to have seen would include Dougray Scott, John Voight, Ed Harris, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Vince McMahon, James Woods. The latter would of been quite impressive for sure
    edited August 2012 Posts: 40,480
    Wasn't Scott in the running to play James Bond at some point? I could have swore he was. If not, perhaps I'm mixing it up and he was slated to play a Bond villain.

Either way, he would be a great choice for a villain. I loved him as rival agent Ambrose in 'M:I-2.'
    Yes, he was rumored to be a contender for the role of Bond himself, but nothing ever came of it, still more suited as a Bond adversary though from what I've seen of his work. I remember his Sean Ambrose character from Mission Impossible II, and was quite impressed, could of featured in either The World Is Not Enough or Die Another Day around the same time. It really could of worked
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    From what i've read in the past, Scott was all but ready to sign on the dotted line for Bond#20. It was all down to whether Brosan wanted to return for a 4th film.
  • @Indyfanaticya

I Do watch the language, f-bombs especially.
    I apologize.

GARY OLDMAN. #noargument

Hell yes ! Please, take him for the next Bond !

One year ago I would have said, without any hesitation, Ralph Fiennes. But I don't loose hope in a (not very) possible twist about his character in SkyFall.
    I would love to see Jean Dujardin in a distinguished french bad guy (but he need to work his terrible accent).
    - Benedict Cumberbatch (but I rather see him as the next Bond, but I doubt it so...)
    - Tom Hardy
    - Cilian Murphy
    - And two south corean actors : Lee Byung-hun (maybe more a henchman) and Min-sik Choi (the crazy guy of Old Boy. He would be perfect if he speak english correctly)
    A heavily underrated actor who gives me a very big 'Dominic Greene' vibe and would be a great psychological villain is Robert Knepper, probably best known from his role in 'Prison Break.'
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that's a great quote, and very true. We had season upon season of excellent, addictive material, that I really cannot wait to go back and rematch, time and time again.

As for his audition, I loved it. I believe it was during his filming of The Flight of the Phoenix, so he was already rugged and beaten looking, and he pulled off the accent flawlessly. I recall seeing an interview he had (on Ellen, I believe) where he said the hardest word for him to pronounce was "New York", so any time his friends asked him where he was going - if it were New York - he would flat-out lie.

I really hope he gets interested in upcoming projects within the coming months. I could understand working all of those years of your life on just one show, that you would probably want a break. But, I hope he returns soon, as I already miss his work.

If you haven't seen it, check out Street Kings. He isn't in the film too often, but he's always fun to see when he pops up in scenes.

I completely agree with both of you. Hugh Laurie is an extremely talented man. He's one of my favorite actors. And of course I love HOUSE.

I think he would be a great Bond villain. And I know he would enjoy it very much because he told me himself!

A few years ago, I had the great luck and honor to talk with Hugh Laurie on a live web chat. One of my questions was "Would you like to be in a Bond film?" to which he replied "James Bond villain, best gig ever!"
    @gt007, no way, really? That is awesome! I really wish the word would get around for him to do 'Bond 24.' He would love to play the villain, he's now done with 'House,' so his schedule is a lot more open, why not?
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    @Creasy47 Well, rumour has it he's playing the villain in ROBOCOP. I doubt they'd give him another villain role so soon.

The same goes for Christopher Eccleston who's playing the villain in THOR 2. He's another great actor and my personal favorite for the modern incarnation of Blofeld, if EON wants to bring him back.