Where does Bond go after Craig?

1418419421423424482

Comments

  • i detest AI. If Bond ever goes.down that route my interest is over.
  • Posts: 2,544
    AI is one of those ideas that in itself can become dated quickly. A bit like how the idea of surveillance/the Nine Eyes programme in SP falls flat because it’s simply an idea - and one which we’d become used to by 2015. To make something genuinely scary you have to show the audience what the villain’s threat can do. Anyway, the new MI films have jumped on the AI plot trend and look how that’s fared.

    It’s why I think the nanobots in NTTD work - they touch on very general ideas such as technology advancing and a weaponised virus being spread (which of course was weirdly very prophetic of them) but packs it all into this fictional plot device. It’s not about something specifically topical but touches on very general fears from the time. That’s how I think they should go into the next one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,792
    I know TND did it, but I wouldn't mind some sort of return to the fake news idea. Maybe a more online bad actor introducing false stories to provoke uprisings etc.
  • Posts: 1,419
    mtm wrote: »
    I know TND did it, but I wouldn't mind some sort of return to the fake news idea. Maybe a more online bad actor introducing false stories to provoke uprisings etc.

    As you say, TND did it. Not what I'm looking for in the next Bond film.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,955
    TND oddly glossed over the internet, but now that’s been covered by Craig’s run.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,792
    I guess folks weren't yet getting their general news from the net in '97. I think there's mileage in a different angle on it from the one TND took.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2023 Posts: 7,853
    Unfortunately we won't see Bond 26 until 2027/8 at the earliest and it will probably have a metamodern dimension to it after Barbenhiemer that seems to be the next hollywood trend.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,792
    Bizarre logic. Gross-out comedies were the latest Hollywood trend when they tried the last reboot but Bond didn't exactly go down that path.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Posts: 7,853
    mtm wrote: »
    Bizarre logic. Gross-out comedies were the latest Hollywood trend when they tried the last reboot but Bond didn't exactly go down that path.

    No gritty reboots were the trend last time, and they did exactly that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 14,792
    They were one trend at the time (in as far as one other franchise did it). There were many others.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2023 Posts: 7,853
    Barbie had the whole idea of barbieland and the commentary of feminism and toxic masculinity, Oppenhiemer worked so well because the threat of the bomb could be easily equated for the existential dangers of technology/modernity and AI, and both films made (or close to) a billion dollars in a summer of flops. I promise you, any tentpole movie script scheduled for release in the late 2020's is now being hastily rewritten to include some kind of metamodern hook, as that will be interpreted by hollywood as "what gen z wants to see".
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 14,792
    You think Oppenheimer was 'metamodern' because it had a meaning which can be seen as relevant to the present day? That's really not a new thing in the world of filmmaking...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2023 Posts: 7,853
    mtm wrote: »
    You think Oppenheimer was 'metamodern' because it had a meaning which can be seen as relevant to the present day? That's really not a new thing in the world of filmmaking...

    The way it was pulled off certainly is though, it inspired a lot of 18 - 29 years to watch a 3 hour movie they wouldn't usually give 2 hoots about.
  • mtm wrote: »
    I know TND did it, but I wouldn't mind some sort of return to the fake news idea. Maybe a more online bad actor introducing false stories to provoke uprisings etc.

    Trump is the real life Eliott Carver
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    edited December 2023 Posts: 3,960
    mtm wrote: »
    I know TND did it, but I wouldn't mind some sort of return to the fake news idea. Maybe a more online bad actor introducing false stories to provoke uprisings etc.

    Trump is the real life Eliott Carver

    There’s a difference: I enjoy watching Elliot Carver. And Carver didn’t want to run for political office.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,792
    mtm wrote: »
    You think Oppenheimer was 'metamodern' because it had a meaning which can be seen as relevant to the present day? That's really not a new thing in the world of filmmaking...

    The way it was pulled off certainly is though, it inspired a lot of 18 - 29 years to watch a 3 hour movie they wouldn't usually give 2 hoots about.

    What was metamodern about how it was 'pulled off'?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Posts: 7,853
    mtm wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    You think Oppenheimer was 'metamodern' because it had a meaning which can be seen as relevant to the present day? That's really not a new thing in the world of filmmaking...

    The way it was pulled off certainly is though, it inspired a lot of 18 - 29 years to watch a 3 hour movie they wouldn't usually give 2 hoots about.

    What was metamodern about how it was 'pulled off'?

    Basically the same way barbie was, how they played with the iconic image of oppenhiemer and the real man underneath.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 7,711
    mtm wrote: »
    I know TND did it, but I wouldn't mind some sort of return to the fake news idea. Maybe a more online bad actor introducing false stories to provoke uprisings etc.

    Trump is the real life Eliott Carver

    Oh please, eye roll
  • BennyBenny keeping tabs on youAdministrator, Moderator
    Posts: 14,723
    Wow, some...interesting logic being displayed here I see.
    Let's not get too ahead of ourselves with what trend Bond 26 will follow, or how Trump is a real life Carver.
    It's only going to end in senseless bickering.

    It's always possible that Bond 26 will create it's own trend, and wont follow someone else's path.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 7,711
    We all come here because we are fans of James Bond; this board is made up of a collection of individuals with a very broad range of social and political ideologies. I’ve always tried to approach forums like this as “ neutral zones “ , in the language of Highlander, Holy Ground; unless a topic is specifically political, which I would avoid,
    avoiding specific references allows a diverse group of individuals to come in and interact in discussing their common interest. Doing otherwise can be extremely inflammatory and alienating.

    Moving on…
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2023 Posts: 7,853
    If we can't talk about what trends are likely to happen in the next film in a thread titled where does bond go after craig? Then what is the point in such a thread even existing?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 14,792
    edited
  • BennyBenny keeping tabs on youAdministrator, Moderator
    Posts: 14,723
    If we can't talk about what trends are likely to happen in the next film in a thread titled where does bond go after craig? Then what is the point in such a thread even existing?

    No one said you couldn't talk about trends in Bond 26, but you seem to claim that you guarantee what will likely happen based on Barbie and Oppenheimer.
    That's ludicrous.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Posts: 1,380
    I think right now every fan faces two approaches which could be tricky:

    Option A.: I want something completely new, that I haven't seen before from Bond, that fits the character but takes him in a new tonal or creative dimension.

    Option B.: I want a stripped-back, by-the-books Bond adventure with everything I expect from the movies I love.

    I'm not saying one approach is correct, or that there can't be a hybrid mix. Ideally Option A has plenty of Option B, with more added on top?
  • Posts: 1,678
    Back to my Godzilla comment: Give us a recognizable BOND with a gripping story we care about while not relying on massive amounts of money.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 7,711
    delfloria wrote: »
    Back to my Godzilla comment: Give us a recognizable BOND with a gripping story we care about while not relying on massive amounts of money.

    Exactly…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 14,792
    I dunno, I quite like them being big lavish productions. I feel like that's half the point.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,181
    You can meet in the middle: retain the Bond style and the big, grandiose productions without having the budget run up to $300 million-plus before the marketing even begins to amass further costs.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 14,792
    I don't know, can you? I don't know much about making a massive movie- I think it's easy to say 'spend less' but I have no idea how possible that is when it's all going on the screen. And why do we want them to? What's the problem?
    Spending lots in this country is good for the workforce and local economy, and I can't say I care massively about Amazon's bank account, and I think they can afford it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Posts: 7,853
    The original bond films weren't mega-budgets, but then they were almost always 2 hours and had a lot more sleuthing around.
Sign In or Register to comment.