Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    To me that's exactly what he's referring to as a possibility.

As a Bond film being different from the inherent bleakness of Oppenheimer.

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    peter wrote: »
    The film industry is in a state of flux, an identity crisis.

It's like the markets, in a way, @crabkey. One can look at them to see what consumers are "buying"..

Same thing in film: producers look to box office, not to see who they can copy, but what consumers are buying (and analyze why certain films are consistently trending). And right now, the box office is one of multiple personalities. Expectations of hit films have been all over the map.

While the project I'm on gears for preproduction in the New Year, I've been hired to write another adaptation. It's a tricky, tricky, tricky story, but one of the things the producers and I have done over the last couple of weeks, was to watch and analyze film of a similar genre, to see what elements they got right, and elements that may have failed them.

EoN and other producers who make big tent pole films are doing the exact same thing, on a much grander scale, but unfortunately "trends" to analyze aren't out there right now; they're all over the place.

I'd argue that what they have spotted is that whilst the film industry is navigating very choppy waters, the video games market is very much on the rise. The new Bond game could well be a huge earner for Eon just in itself, let alone the side effect on Bond's popularity with the younger generation. Although the movies will always have the glamour and prestige, this side-hustle could end up driving the franchise in the future.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,575
    @sandbagger1 … I think you’re pretty bang-on here. Gregg Wilson has taken a big role in the development of this upcoming game, and it feels like “all hands on deck” for the project….
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 15,032
    I think it is quite funny that fandom sees involvement in a TV show as awful, and yet video games are fine :D
    mtm wrote: »
    I think it is quite funny that fandom sees involvement in a TV show as awful, and yet video games are fine :D

You don't see a difference?
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,978

I can’t blame them/us. Bond video games gave us Goldeneye, Agent Under Fire, Nightfire, and Everything or Nothing.

James Bond tv shows gave us…. James Bond Jr.

(And yes, that was highly simplified and we of course have the likes of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, Blood Stone, and 007 Legends… but I have fond memories of 3 of the 4 above games I first mentioned so am very biased, haha.)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

They are different media, but I do wonder why 'Bond should only be on the big screen' doesn't apply to one of them.

They are different media, but I do wonder why 'Bond should only be on the big screen' doesn't apply to one of them.

Reality shows are always sneered at, and scripted TV has traditionally been seen as cheaper and less prestigious than film (though this has changed somewhat, for the majority it is true); video games on the other hand are often quality productions that are critically acclaimed, not something you can say about reality TV.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Videogames have come a long way. A videogame can be written as good as a film. Just look at some of the story driven games that have been released over the last 3-4 generations. Reality tv is still reality tv, and hasn't produced anything ground breaking since the original Big Brother.
  • 007HallY wrote: »

I can’t blame them/us. Bond video games gave us Goldeneye, Agent Under Fire, Nightfire, and Everything or Nothing.

(And yes, that was highly simplified and we of course have the likes of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, Blood Stone, and 007 Legends… but I have fond memories of 3 of the 4 above games I first mentioned so am very biased, haha.)

Don’t forget From Russia With Love! That one is still my favorite one to play.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,978
    007HallY wrote: »

Must admit I never enjoyed that one as much. I still think something like YOLT, TSWLM or TB would have been better suited to a game (underwater scenes in a game could have been cool), but again I’m probably biased as FRWL is my favourite Bond film and I wasn’t as much into games by this point.
  • 007HallY wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »

Must admit I never enjoyed that one as much. I still think something like YOLT, TSWLM or TB would have been better suited to a game (underwater scenes in a game could have been cool), but again I’m probably biased as FRWL is my favourite Bond film and I wasn’t as much into games by this point.

Understandable. Those three films you mentioned would’ve probably worked better, or an original story with Connery returning would’ve been great as well. For me, I actually played FRWL the game before seeing the movie for the first time on TV back in ‘05, so for me going from the game to the film didn’t seem like much of a jump at all to me at the time. These days I can see the flaws in the game, but not to many video games place you in the shoes of a 1960’s Sean Connery, so l’m very forgiving towards it!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 15,032

Reality shows are always sneered at, and scripted TV has traditionally been seen as cheaper and less prestigious than film (though this has changed somewhat, for the majority it is true); video games on the other hand are often quality productions that are critically acclaimed, not something you can say about reality TV.

I didn't say Reality TV though; I'm talking about TV in general, and the idea of an Amazon spinoff has been frequently dismissed. And there's nothing about modern TV productions which aren't quality productions, not critically-acclaimed.

I didn't say Reality TV though; I'm talking about TV in general, and the idea of an Amazon spinoff has been frequently dismissed. And there's nothing about modern TV productions which aren't quality productions, not critically-acclaimed.
    Marvel and Star Wars TV shows have been accused of diluting the brand and causing burnout in the audience, I imagine there would be a similar worry if Bond's universe was expanded with spinoffs.

Videogames have come a long way. A videogame can be written as good as a film. Just look at some of the story driven games that have been released over the last 3-4 generations. Reality tv is still reality tv, and hasn't produced anything ground breaking since the original Big Brother.

Agree with this though I don't play video games unless...................they are in VR.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited November 2023 Posts: 3,393
    After David Morris, Sophie Harley, Charles De Temple, and the likes (recently Chopard designed Paloma's jewelry).

Maybe Valérie Danenberg could design the next Bond jewelry.

https://danenberg.fr/?fbclid=IwAR1Fmx-6G7ogQbjFbpSjqzpGAsDcRKmKZIENpl1UvMXm1djquS-2UDeXztM
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    Been thinking a lot recently about how I'd like to see some new original allies introduced like we used to get. Not necessarily in Bond 26 specifically, but just in general. For example, I think Ke Huy Quan (Everything Everywhere All At Once, Indiana Jones, The Goonies) would a fun addition to the franchise as an original ally.

230315133922-ke-huy-quan-oscar-restricted.jpg?c=original
  • I had a dream last night in which Craig was announced to return as Bond in a movie that was essentially a reboot. :D
    @Colonel_Venus I hope nothing like that comes to pass. Not a fan of giving up the role only to decide you want to come back.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Bond 26 is gonna feel so different and modern, bond 25 was fully completed shooting in 2019 its already a 4 year old film technically.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Been thinking a lot recently about how I'd like to see some new original allies introduced like we used to get. Not necessarily in Bond 26 specifically, but just in general. For example, I think Ke Huy Quan (Everything Everywhere All At Once, Indiana Jones, The Goonies) would a fun addition to the franchise as an original ally.

230315133922-ke-huy-quan-oscar-restricted.jpg?c=original

I completely agree mate, I watched OHMSS last week and forgot how much I love Drago. I think they wanted to show Craig's Bond as lone wolf, which is fine for his portrayal, but allies are always great in Bond.
  • Bond 26 is gonna feel so different and modern, bond 25 was fully completed shooting in 2019 its already a 4 year old film technically.

I hope so.
  • Nolan comments on Bond again:

So he is either telling the truth, in which case in sounds like he wanted to do it but did not work out... or is not telling the truth. 🤔
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think Nolan is gearing up for awards season.

So far, other “contenders” haven’t performed nearly as well as Oppenheimer (although I thought Killers of the Flower Moon was superior to Oppenheimer). Right now, it appears as if Nolan should start clearing his shelves, because he will be going home with some serious hardware (prediction, he will will get Oscar’s Best Picture, but the academy will give Gerwig Best Director).

After this, Nolan will have the world at his feet, the vaults will be open and he’ll be able to do whatever original story is cooking inside his brain.

Will he want to do Bond (about a three year commitment from development, through production, post and opening the film worldwide; as I said a few months back, I also think this genre is not in his creative wheelhouse anymore)?

For now, I’d take the man at his word.
  • peter wrote: »
    Will he want to do Bond?
    We know that he wants to do Bond. Even in this interview he said that the rumours are sadly not true.

Imagine that you are a producer who is about to reboot a franchise. Now imagine that there is a world class director out there who just directed a mega hit that is about to win many Oscars, and this director happens to be a gigantic fan of the franchise you are about to reboot AND has directed several highly successful films in the same genre. And then imagine not hiring him....
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Will he want to do Bond?
    We know that he wants to do Bond. Even in this interview he said that the rumours are sadly not true.

I wouldn't dissect his language too much- that's just a polite way of responding.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He may be a fan, but I’m not sure if this genre is in his creative wheelhouse anymore.

I just don’t see this union happening, unless the story is tailor made for Nolan.

And producers (EoN, and others), won’t tailor make a script for a director; they develop the best story they can for success at the box office, then they seek out the talent (in front of, and behind the camera).

• peter wrote: »
    I just don’t see this union happening, unless the story is tailor made for Nolan.

And producers (EoN, and others), won’t tailor make a script for a director; they develop the best story they can for success at the box office, then they seek out the talent (in front of, and behind the camera).

?? Nolan would only agree to it if he both directed AND wrote the movie. So the script would be 100% tailor made for him considering that he would be the one writing it.

And him wanting to write the script would be a very silly reason for EON to reject him considering that he has a much better track record as a writer than franchise regulars Purvis and Wade have.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think any initial story will always be born out of EoN’s HQ.

Will he want to do Bond?

Imagine that you are a producer who is about to reboot a franchise. Now imagine that there is a world class director out there who just directed a mega hit that is about to win many Oscars, and this director happens to be a gigantic fan of the franchise you are about to reboot AND has directed several highly successful films in the same genre. And then imagine not hiring him....

Well, we won’t know what’s happened behind the scenes for a while, if at all. Hell, we won’t know for a bit who is directing the next Bond film, whether that’s Nolan or not (my gut instinct has always been he won’t as it’s just not quite the right fit, but even this clip proves little).

Sometimes certain directors aren’t suited for Bond though, no matter how famous or whether they’re fans or not. Doesn’t matter if you’re a world class director, if EON don’t believe they’re going to make the Bond film they need and work with them, they won’t hire them. I’m glad they didn’t just jump towards Nolan (it would be a strange thing for any producer to do at this stage, likely incredibly stupid too). As was said there are good reasons why he might not be the best pick.

It’s also tempting to read a lot into what these people are saying publicly/how the rumours feed into this, but again it’s not something we know for now. Did Nolan in fact pitch a period Bond piece only to have the producers shut this down, even to the point where their recent publicity rounds hammered home Bond’s modernity? Did Nolan’s initial public quotes of wanting more creative control annoy the producers? Probably not to both, and we won’t know for sure either way. Anyway, I have faith they’ll find someone suited to the job.