Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 15,083
    007HallY wrote: »
    Perhaps Branagh could play the villain.

And if he does I insist he use his Russian accent from Tenet again. Preferably in a film where it can be heard sufficiently.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is for you.

Not seen that before. I love a good Kenneth Branagh Russian villain accent. So hammy.

Not too sure about Chris Pine in this film though having looked up a couple of clips.

It's decent enough spy fun. One enjoyable thing about it is that Branagh's evil Moscow headquarters building which features a lot is actually directly opposite the Shanghai skyscraper that Bond follows Patrice up in Skyfall. Both are just around the corner from Liverpool Street.
    mtm wrote: »
    I think if you compare the Craig Bonds to something like the Mission Impossible films, which cost far less, you can see the difference. MI has almost nothing in the way of Bond’s grand sets, big builds or more extravagant action (although the action in MI is superb of course) - I can certainly see the money.

Yeah, NTTD isn't a favourite of mine but even I have to admit it looked really good throughout.

Yeah same here. Just look at what they built for the Cuba section- it's incredible. In contrast the latest MI film built some train carriages and a replica steam train. Not cheap certainly, but not on the same scale.
    Perhaps Branagh could play the villain.

And if he does I insist he use his Russian accent from Tenet again. Preferably in a film where it can be heard sufficiently.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is for you.

Not seen that before. I love a good Kenneth Branagh Russian villain accent. So hammy.

Not too sure about Chris Pine in this film though having looked up a couple of clips.

It's decent enough spy fun. One enjoyable thing about it is that Branagh's evil Moscow headquarters building which features a lot is actually directly opposite the Shanghai skyscraper that Bond follows Patrice up in Skyfall. Both are just around the corner from Liverpool Street.

It does look fun. Just watched a scene with Branagh trying to threaten Kiera Knightly by sticking a lightbulb in her mouth. And he has an outlandish Russian accent. Who can say no to that?

Genuinely didn’t know those were filmed there either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes indeed; here's the Skyfall building, and behind you is Branagh's HQ.

The Skyfall one also appears in the opening to Hitman's Bodyguard if you've seen it: Ryan Reynolds rescues Richard E Grant from there as I remember.
  • So Barbara was finally asked about Nolan:
    In addition to finding a new Bond, Broccoli and Wilson also have to find a new director who will be an active participant in what she calls a "reinvention" of the franchise. "We're always open-minded about directors, but it's very early stages. It's awhile off."

One filmmaker with a well-known affinity for 007 is Christopher Nolan, and rumors about the Oppenheimer director's potential involvement in the post-Craig era have been flying about recently. "I'm a big fan of Chris Nolan," Broccoli says when asked if she's spoken with the director about his Bond fandom. "I know him and his wife [producer Emma Thomas] socially, and we've had lots of discussions about movies and Bond in general. He's phenomenal — I loved Oppenheimer. He's a great director."
    So Barbara was finally asked about Nolan:
    In addition to finding a new Bond, Broccoli and Wilson also have to find a new director who will be an active participant in what she calls a "reinvention" of the franchise. "We're always open-minded about directors, but it's very early stages. It's awhile off."

One filmmaker with a well-known affinity for 007 is Christopher Nolan, and rumors about the Oppenheimer director's potential involvement in the post-Craig era have been flying about recently. "I'm a big fan of Chris Nolan," Broccoli says when asked if she's spoken with the director about his Bond fandom. "I know him and his wife [producer Emma Thomas] socially, and we've had lots of discussions about movies and Bond in general. He's phenomenal — I loved Oppenheimer. He's a great director."

Interesting. Boils down to how well Eon and Nolan would work together. Though I am not a big fan of Nolan, he could handle a dark Fleming/thriller style Bond. Not my ideal choice when compared to the directing style of Young or Campbell. Also, I have no wish to see a period film.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,998
    Cillian Murphy
    is
    Ian Fleming's James Bond 007
    in
    Christopher Nolan's
    Timemumble

With Marion Cotillard as "She"
    And Leonardo DiCaprio as "He"
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Very diplomatic and noncommittal.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    After watching The Killer, I'd be up for seeing Erik Messerschmidt as a cinematographer on a future Bond film. He also did Mank and episodes of Mindhunter.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Exactly, like most professionals Barbara Broccoli has answered the question diplomatically. Even if there is a glimmer that he might be in contention to direct a future Bond film, it's far too early too make comment. Similarly, she may be thinking there's no way I want someone having that much control of the series as Nolan would want.
    It's a pointless question in some ways, similarly if asked who is your favourite Bond.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Benny wrote: »

Exactly, like most professionals Barbara Broccoli has answered the question diplomatically. Even if there is a glimmer that he might be in contention to direct a future Bond film, it's far too early too make comment. Similarly, she may be thinking there's no way I want someone having that much control of the series as Nolan would want.
    It's a pointless question in some ways, similarly if asked who is your favourite Bond.

Diplomatic yes but she shared a lot of stuff she didn't have to.

I'm open to a lot of alternatives, and this comment shapes my expectations.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I just think if they snub Nolan then they REALLY have to make sure they have quality material because people are bound to make comparisons to "what could have been".
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited November 2023 Posts: 567
    I just think if they snub Nolan then they REALLY have to make sure they have quality material because people are bound to make comparisons to "what could have been".

People have been doing that for the last decade anyway. There'll always be 'what ifs' in the series. They can make whatever movie they like with whomever they like without feeling as if they have some sort of obligation to the public.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited November 2023 Posts: 3,393

They could hire him, if worthy of money.
    Because let's admit it, they're making movies for money, maybe since from the start, since the Cubby years.
    But now, it's more like quantity over quality.

And think of it, they could've hired Nolan since 2012, Skyfall is a film that shouts for Nolan to direct (also, Nolan was really big at that time), but whatever got in the way, for me it's just one thing: If The Price Is Right.

I don't think they cared for the people if they come up with what ifs, as @George_Kaplan said, they've been doing that for years, we have a lot of what ifs in the series, no one could satisfy fans, every films have what ifs, because it's what the fans may satisfy to themselves.

For them, as long as Bond is profitable, they're going to do what they want to do.
  • SIS_HQ wrote: »
    And think of it, they could've hired Nolan since 2012, Skyfall is a film that shouts for Nolan to direct (also, Nolan was really big at that time), but whatever got in the way,

What got in the way as far as we know is that it wasn't time for a reinvention. The moment Nolan has been waiting for all those years is here.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Here’s the thing about this supposed control everyone keeps assuming Nolan wants. He is extremely aware that Eon are the big bosses and that taking on a Bond film is like becoming a tenant for a lease. He can do all he likes with his lease, but under the confines of that lease as defined by the landlords, which is Eon.

So all these rumors and assumptions that Nolan is demanding complete creative control just seems unfounded. Besides, it’s not like Nolan is gonna try to do something esoteric with Bond like he did with TENET. His Batman films remain the only instance he worked on a franchise, and for the most part he worked to deliver big crowd pleasers with those, and will likely do with Bond if he gets it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

‘Snub Nolan’- so we’ve decided he’s definitely decided to do it and the ball is in Eon’s court, then.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,159
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

Because let's admit it, they're making movies for money, maybe since from the start, since the Cubby years.

And think of it, they could've hired Nolan since 2012, Skyfall is a film that shouts for Nolan to direct (also, Nolan was really big at that time), but whatever got in the way, for me it's just one thing: If The Price Is Right.

I don't think they cared for the people if they come up with what ifs, as @George_Kaplan said, they've been doing that for years, we have a lot of what ifs in the series, no one could satisfy fans, every films have what ifs, because it's what the fans may satisfy to themselves.

For them, as long as Bond is profitable, they're going to do what they want to do.

If Oppenhiemer wins big at the oscars the chatter around him directing Bond next is gonna go nuts. Its going to be very difficult NOT to see him as the heir apparent to the franchise, especially with the media working in overdrive and EON creatively adrift. If the next film is just "good" i.e. nothing special the common narrative will be "eh, shoulda got Nolan..."
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited November 2023 Posts: 3,393
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

If Oppenhiemer wins big at the oscars the chatter around him directing Bond next is gonna go nuts. Its going to be very difficult NOT to see him as the heir apparent to the franchise, especially with the media working in overdrive and EON creatively adrift. If the next film is just "good" i.e. nothing special the common narrative will be "eh, shoulda got Nolan..."

Yes, I know his popularity these days, he's the talk of the town when it comes to directing the next Bond film.

He's obviously the safest choice as of now, the same for people shouting for Henry Cavill as Bond, and Anya Taylor Joy as the Bond Girl, and people would've the same sentiment if the next Bond is not up to their expectations.

But the thing is, EON doesn't want to gamble with big name personalities, and Nolan is one of those, because again, financial demands, like what I've said, if the price is right.

That's why they're opting for some directors with Nolan-flare type of directing like Mendes and Fukunaga, because maybe, it came to their knowledge that it's what the people demand, but they're afraid of paying high cost for such people.

And it's not just Nolan, there's also Edgar Wright who's second in line of running for the next Bond director after Nolan, oh and there's Villeneuve, especially with Dune: Part Two coming in 2024, now it's Nolan, next it's Villeneuve, let's see how it will change.

Like "hey! Have you seen the Part Two of Dune? Man! Get Villeneuve for Bond! He can do it!" Nolan would be forgotten and Villeneuve would be the new talk of the town.

‘Snub Nolan’- so we’ve decided he’s definitely decided to do it and the ball is in Eon’s court, then.

He's a lifelong fan, It's no secret he wants to do a Bond film. :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

He's a lifelong fan, It's no secret he wants to do a Bond film. :)

Spielberg was / is a Bond fan, and lobbied to land the directors reigns in the 80's and EON didn't get him to direct a Bond film.
    Here’s the thing about this supposed control everyone keeps assuming Nolan wants. He is extremely aware that Eon are the big bosses and that taking on a Bond film is like becoming a tenant for a lease. He can do all he likes with his lease, but under the confines of that lease as defined by the landlords, which is Eon.

So all these rumors and assumptions that Nolan is demanding complete creative control just seems unfounded. Besides, it’s not like Nolan is gonna try to do something esoteric with Bond like he did with TENET. His Batman films remain the only instance he worked on a franchise, and for the most part he worked to deliver big crowd pleasers with those, and will likely do with Bond if he gets it.

Most directors work under those sorts of conditions no matter how much creative control they have. Nolan did to an extent when he did his Batman films.

I think the only downside is how public Nolan has made it clear he wants that amount of input. I can imagine it might rub EON the wrong way a bit/frame him as the sole creative ‘genius’ behind this hypothetical film, when in reality Bond films (and films in general) are much more collaborative.

But at the end of the day I don’t know for sure. I think it’s clear for now though that Nolan’s not going to be flying in at this early stage and coming up with an original story all by himself.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    EON are very good at keeping an open mind, their options open and doing what they feel is right. They won’t just go for Nolan because he wants to do it, for the same reason they won’t cast Cavill because many people are saying they should.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Speaking as a big Nolan fan, I'm not sure why we "really really really" need him for the next Bond film, as if there's absolutely no one else who can handle the job.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,159
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Speaking as a big Nolan fan, I'm not sure why we "really really really" need him for the next Bond film, as if there's absolutely no one else who can handle the job.

Absolutely there are other choices, some better some worse.

I'm mostly talking about how the film will be percieved by the casual audience, the average Chris Stuckmann/John Campea watcher. If Bond is considered a 7/10 movie a lot of non-bond fans will say that they missed an opportunity and snubbing Nolan was a mistake. There will be the narrative that forms: "why didn't they just hire Nolan?"
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 3,024
    It comes back to just how little I think the average viewer cares about Nolan’s name and just how big the Janes Bond franchise is. I think regardless of whether a Bond film is ‘good’ or not, they always stand on their own.

If anything it’ll be some of us fans who will call a non-Nolan Bond film a missed opportunity, not the non-Bond fans (and yes, the more filmey ones in that demographic). Even then I think it’ll be a minority. There are very few of us/them even now who tend to think that Danny Boyle not making NTTD was a missed opportunity. I don’t think the average viewer, if in fact they know that Boyle was originally attached, would either.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don’t think the average viewer, if in fact they know that Boyle was originally attached, would either.
    The average viewer probably didn't (and still doesn't) even know Cary Fukunaga was the actual director.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 3,024
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I don’t think the average viewer, if in fact they know that Boyle was originally attached, would either.
    The average viewer probably didn't (and still doesn't) even know Cary Fukunaga was the actual director.

I suspect not many know who he is. But yes. Even with a director like Nolan the amount of people I know who didn’t realise he’d directed Oppenheimer was surprising to me. They know his Batman films, but not necessarily his name. Many don’t care. It’s not uncommon.

Film fans, even the non-Bond ones, make up such a small number of the large collective audiences that watch these films. It literally doesn’t matter what those specific fans think, or what we as Bond fans think (even if such a widespread opinion about Nolan comparisons existed with an alternative Bond 26 director). Before a teaser trailer comes out the vast majority of people won’t keep up with press or rumours about Bond 26. Nolan or indeed any other director is near irrelevant beyond what they can bring to the film itself.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Absolutely there are other choices, some better some worse.

I'm mostly talking about how the film will be percieved by the casual audience, the average Chris Stuckmann/John Campea watcher. If Bond is considered a 7/10 movie a lot of non-bond fans will say that they missed an opportunity and snubbing Nolan was a mistake. There will be the narrative that forms: "why didn't they just hire Nolan?"

Why should Eon feel beholden to the general public or the media? It's their franchise and they can decide where they're going and who's going to take them there. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think Boyle not doing NTTD was a missed opportunity. No doubt when the next Bond is chosen there'll be people saying it should've been someone else.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

Because MI flopped. That's why.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    EoN, like other producers worth their salt, are like professional athletes: yes, they have to entertain their fans, but, to actually get the job done, they mostly drown out the noise from the stands and get on with it.