Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mtm wrote: »
    High frame rate? I hope you don't have your motion smoothing on? Tom and McQ don't like that! :)

I tweaked my settings based on advice for best picture, maybe I should set them to default lol

I will check if i have switched on motion smoothing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @mtm yep motion smoothing was indeed on, switched it off will see what the picture looks like now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 14,961
    patb wrote: »
    These recent comments perhaps sum up where MI has gone wrong? a focus on the strengths and weaknesses of the stunt work when we all know that it takes more than stunts to make a great movie.

I'm not sure a conversation about some specific elements between three or four people represents the general audience reaction.
    @mtm yep motion smoothing was indeed on, switched it off will see what the picture looks like now.

You have pleased Tom :D
    mtm wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    These recent comments perhaps sum up where MI has gone wrong? a focus on the strengths and weaknesses of the stunt work when we all know that it takes more than stunts to make a great movie.

I'm not sure a conversation about some specific elements between three or four people represents the general audience reaction.

You have pleased Tom :D

Cheers for suggestion it resolved the issue.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

From my experience, night and day, motion smoothing truly creates a “ soap opera effect “ ; I’ve seen classic films looking like something shot on video for a daily melodrama.
    talos7 wrote: »

From my experience, night and day, motion smoothing truly creates a “ soap opera effect “ ; I’ve seen classic films looking like something shot on video for a daily melodrama.

That is a very accurate description of how the 3rd act looked on my TV before I switched motion smoothing off.

Well at least it gives me another excuse to watch the entire film again.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 252
    ‘Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One’ Extended Edition Soundtrack to Be Released

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/10/26/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-part-one-extended-edition-soundtrack-to-be-released/

3 (!) hours Soundtrack

Why is that not possible on NTTD?
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    ‘Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One’ Extended Edition Soundtrack to Be Released

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/10/26/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-part-one-extended-edition-soundtrack-to-be-released/

3 (!) hours Soundtrack

Why is that not possible on NTTD?

Extended wow, the Dead Reckoning score I bought last week already has 39 tracks on it.
    Watching Dead Reckoning probably for the 10th time, this is the best Bond film I have seen in years. Joking aside I love this film.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Watching Dead Reckoning probably for the 10th time, this is the best Bond film I have seen in years. Joking aside I love this film.

Just got my physical copy in the mail - looking forward to 2nd viewing!

I always thought Rogue Nation was the most Bondian M:I film. It's like Spectre done better.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I always thought Rogue Nation was the most Bondian M:I film. It's like Spectre done better.

I agree 100%; Rogue Nation would have made a great Bond film.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 118
    I see that mission impossible dead reckoning part 2 has been dropped? And pushed back to 2025? Correction it's still called part 2 just delayed to 2025.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 118
    Actually they are dropping the name how weird. How will they able to tell the rest of the story?https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-part-2-1235611645/amp/?safe=strict
    I was just looking at the DRp1 steelbooks trying to decide which one to buy, then I thought I best hold off as they have Part 1 on them, if there is a title change and its no longer Part 2 then they will have to reprint/reissue all the Blurays at some point.

81Kg2x6A6uL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

7132qtpkeiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

the first one matches up better with my other steelbooks from the series.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I didn't particularly like the all-red steelbook. I prefer the first, but didn't want to shell out an arm and a leg for it. I'm hoping it'll be a Christmas gift for me, as the wait will be worth it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I rewatched DR pt. 1 today. My ranking today would be this:

1) GP
    2) F
    3) RN
    4) DR
    5) III
    2) M:I
    1) II
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,376
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I didn't particularly like the all-red steelbook. I prefer the first, but didn't want to shell out an arm and a leg for it. I'm hoping it'll be a Christmas gift for me, as the wait will be worth it.

£35 each here in the UK, not keen on the red one either there is too much... red.

Rogue Nation is the film in the series that I am still not sure how I feel about, I need to watch it again soon. RN is better than most of DC's Bond films though.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I know it's stylized like some of those posters but the all-red does feel a bit lazy to me. It's like that SP steelbook (and ironically enough, the last steelbook I bothered purchasing, if memory services) it was all book, a tiny logo, nothing remotely impressive for the price.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I know it's stylized like some of those posters but the all-red does feel a bit lazy to me. It's like that SP steelbook (and ironically enough, the last steelbook I bothered purchasing, if memory services) it was all book, a tiny logo, nothing remotely impressive for the price.

Generally I find a lot of modern art work for movies very lazy Bond especially, there seems a reluctance to be creative or make any real effort.

When I see a cover of an action movie I expect the art to look exciting, I am looking at a TB framed print I have next to my PC full of guns, action and explosions.
    Just been listening to License to Kill score and this question popped into my head...

How many Mission Impossible films are better than LTK if any (which foreshadows my answer)....
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Just been listening to License to Kill score and this question popped into my head...

How many Mission Impossible films are better than LTK if any (which foreshadows my answer)....

All but one, two and three for me. I love LTK, I would rate M:I III on par with it, and Ghost Protocol and onwards better.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

All but one, two and three for me. I love LTK, I would rate M:I III on par with it, and Ghost Protocol and onwards better.

Very interesting, I love the Mission Impossible series though I would not put any of the films above :LTK.

M:I and Fallout get closest to LTK both top tier films.
    I think Dead Reckoning moved up to 3rd. This film is so much fun, and then intense.
    I'll probably crack open my 4K copy of it on Christmas morning and rewatch it, but as for now, I still think I'd rank the latest one as my favorite still.
    I'll probably crack open my 4K copy of it on Christmas morning and rewatch it, but as for now, I still think I'd rank the latest one as my favorite still.

Watching the digital copy of DRp1 now, I am obsessed I love this move. I think out of all the films emotionally this hits hardest.

Watching the digital copy of DRp1 now, I am obsessed I love this move. I think out of all the films emotionally this hits hardest.

I'd agree with you there. MI3 can get pretty emotional but my distaste for just about all the other elements brings down that factor. It's just right for me in DR P1.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm very jealous of those who got so much out of Dead Reckoning. I wanted to love it so much.
    I'm very jealous of those who got so much out of Dead Reckoning. I wanted to love it so much.

It's a unique feeling, isn't it? I've had it with both Bond and this series quite a few times. Of course, it's always better when you're on the side of loving something.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It's a unique feeling, isn't it? I've had it with both Bond and this series quite a few times. Of course, it's always better when you're on the side of loving something.

Absolutely - sometimes I get annoyed when I can't look past my misgivings with something. Life is always better when you like things!

Absolutely - sometimes I get annoyed when I can't look past my misgivings with something. Life is always better when you like things!

Too right, my friend. That's how I felt with SF and why I ended up paying to see it five times in theaters, convinced I was missing something, that it'd finally "click" for me on a viewing, but it never did, even 11 years later. It's definitely annoying when that happens.