Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Just because Cubby decided to stop making non-Bond films doesn’t mean Barbara should carry that same obligation.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Not non-stop but more than one film in eight years would be nice. :-w
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Just because Cubby decided to stop making non-Bond films doesn’t mean Barbara should carry that same obligation.

But I thought Barbara Broccoli and MGW were put on this earth, not as film producers, but solely as James Bond film producers. They’re not allowed to explore any other subjects that may interest them as storytellers!!!!! They should be giving me a Bond film every two years!!!!!!!
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Not sure if this even posted yet, but it's very cool

I have to admit, that’s rather well done.
    Of course, BB can do whatever she wants. If another Bond film is never made, so be it.
    But, fair or not, Bond fans can be as critical and demanding as they choose.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Given the state of movie franchises right now, with even Marvel suffering and demand for original cinema seemingly being at the forefront (just look at Barbie and Oppenheimer), I think EON's patience will only be a benefit for them going forward, especially with a new era on the horizon.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,093
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Given the state of movie franchises right now, with even Marvel suffering and demand for original cinema seemingly being at the forefront (just look at Barbie and Oppenheimer), I think EON's patience will only be a benefit for them going forward, especially with a new era on the horizon.

It seems like there is a shift happening across the whole industry right now. Marvel is losing steam, DC is rebooting, a lot of legacy franchises are ending like Indiana Jones, Mission Impossible, Fast & Furious, Halloween, Star Wars, etc and at the same time original movies are exploding at the boxoffice. Maybe EON are partly holding back development to observe what exactly the outcomes are of this transition, and to make sure they can position themselves to be on the correct side. I will have my gripes, but when it comes to these gaps between actors, EON have the knack of judging it right and coming out on top.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,507

It seems like there is a shift happening across the whole industry right now. Marvel is losing steam, DC is rebooting, a lot of legacy franchises are ending like Indiana Jones, Mission Impossible, Fast & Furious, Halloween, Star Wars, etc and at the same time original movies are exploding at the boxoffice. Maybe EON are partly holding back development to observe what exactly the outcomes are of this transition, and to make sure they can position themselves to be on the correct side. I will have my gripes, but when it comes to these gaps between actors, EON have the knack of judging it right and coming out on top.

@Mendes4Lyfe , I’ve disagreed with you many times, and not to get under your skin; I genuinely disagree with a lot of your posts, as you do mine.

But this is a very realistic observation and I have to agree with you, absolutely. If Bourne pointed the way before, what film is out there right now that would indicate to EoN and others what audiences want? Is it Oppenheimer, or Barbie? Well, the two films are of different genres and are outliers and not formulas.

The international box office is all over the map. Top Gun: Maverick destroyed all competition; M:I flops. John Wick 4 puttered; Mario Bros makes over a billion… The industry is in a really turbulent time. Add strikes, a pandemic, and yes wars and a recession (creates inflation, people are losing jobs; most become much more careful where and how they spend their money). Good post @Mendes4Lyfe
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    "There will be another Bond someday, but we’re not actively developing it.” - Gregg Wilson
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1831288/James-Bond-producer-Gregg-Wilson-next-Bond-007-Road-to-a-Million
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 104
    Really sad times...looks more like a 2030 (or later) release now. ☹️
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    well they would not be actively developing a new film during a writers and actors strikes
  • peterpeter Toronto
    weboffear wrote: »
    well they would not be actively developing a new film during a writers and actors strikes

Correct.

People should also look at the Bond Experience video posted.

He takes a level-headed approach to this, as Mendes4lyfe did a few posts back.

Also, to think that zilch is being done?…. I mean, decide for yourselves. I take it more as: in the very very very rough assembly stage, nothing to show anyone outside of HQ.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    "There will be another Bond someday, but we’re not actively developing it.” - Gregg Wilson
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1831288/James-Bond-producer-Gregg-Wilson-next-Bond-007-Road-to-a-Million

I still think, or maybe hope, that there is a great deal of plausible deniability in the use of the word “actively “.
    🤞
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 104
    weboffear wrote: »

That would be understandable, but why don't they refer to the strikes directly? The way they communicate it, it looks more like they haven't given any thought about the next film yet, and that's hard to believe.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    A pandemic and two strikes. Plus Eon is basically in the same position they were in 1968.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It's encouraging to hear they're INACTIVELY developing BOND 26.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Looking forward to 2027!

But in all honesty… I just can’t be impatient about this. I don’t really care how long it takes for them to get to it, all that matters is that I get a Bond film down the line. Whether it’s released on 2025 or 2027 makes no significant difference because I know the year it comes out I’ll be excited about the prospect of an upcoming Bond film all the same.

The only thing that could possibly dampen whatever enthusiasm I may have is Henry Cavill being cast.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 486

It’s a new world
    With new enemies
    And new threats
    But you can still depend
    On one man
    NOLAN
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,093
    peter wrote: »

@Mendes4Lyfe , I’ve disagreed with you many times, and not to get under your skin; I genuinely disagree with a lot of your posts, as you do mine.

But this is a very realistic observation and I have to agree with you, absolutely. If Bourne pointed the way before, what film is out there right now that would indicate to EoN and others what audiences want? Is it Oppenheimer, or Barbie? Well, the two films are of different genres and are outliers and not formulas.

The international box office is all over the map. Top Gun: Maverick destroyed all competition; M:I flops. John Wick 4 puttered; Mario Bros makes over a billion… The industry is in a really turbulent time. Add strikes, a pandemic, and yes wars and a recession (creates inflation, people are losing jobs; most become much more careful where and how they spend their money). Good post @Mendes4Lyfe

That's actually true @peter it's not as if they can just say "make the next one about karate" and move right on ahead. Wherever they take the franchise, it's going to be a much more involved process, and one misstep can be disastrous in this climate as we saw this summer. The rulebook has essentially been thrown out, and personally I never thought I'd see Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones flopping at the boxoffice, even without speilberg at the helm. I think perhaps EON have recognised that even Bond cannot expect to sail to boxoffice glory with ease in this environment, and they're very carefully watching things play out until that very obvious trend starts building momentum that they can latch onto and take advantage.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Asking the insiders here: Isn’t „active development“ a very specific status of a movie? Basically, we know they still haven’t set up a shell company for it, so it’s not really a surprise they aren’t in active development. That doesn’t have to mean they haven’t thought and talked about it. *He said, copingly.*
    What connection did Harrison Ford with today's audiences? He has been Indy since 1981. Maybe the same actor playing the same role over 42 years doesn't appeal to viewers not even born when the first film came out. At least Bond has remained somewhat fresh by continuing to cast new actors. Possibly a key to success.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Asking the insiders here: Isn’t „active development“ a very specific status of a movie? Basically, we know they still haven’t set up a shell company for it, so it’s not really a surprise they aren’t in active development. That doesn’t have to mean they haven’t thought and talked about it. *He said, copingly.*

No, “active” development really isn’t a technical term. It’s usually “we’re in development “ (that’s not to say ppl don’t throw in the word “active” but it’s not really specific to the development period)… and you’re right @ImpertinentGoon , I don’t believe for one milli-second that zilch is happening. But I do believe that where they were before the strikes, is where they are now, and any movement there was pre-strikes, I believe there’s been some u-turn back to square one.

It’s a new world
    With new enemies
    And new threats
    But you can still depend
    On one man
    NOLAN

What an anticlimactic ending.
  • Agent0099Agent0099 Milford, Michigan

I think Mark is hinting at some inside knowledge.
  • I don’t know how many times the producers will have to say they aren’t developing the next Bond film for people to believe them. I take it at face value , they aren’t working on it in any capacity, right now .
  • Agent0099 wrote: »

I think Mark is hinting at some inside knowledge.

That’s what I’m thinking too.
  • I don’t know how many times the producers will have to say they aren’t developing the next Bond film for people to believe them. I take it at face value , they aren’t working on it in any capacity, right now .

You are talking about a company that only 2 *days* before the official announcement of Daniel Craig stated that the decision on James Bond #6 had not been made yet.

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=2889

Often when EON has an option to say "no comment", they instead lie. Then again, I am not blaming them. These are white lies, so it's not a big deal.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I don’t know how many times the producers will have to say they aren’t developing the next Bond film for people to believe them. I take it at face value , they aren’t working on it in any capacity, right now .

I think there's a truth that lies between zero is happening on B26, and ATJ is Bond, was auditioned, shot the gun barrel and Nolan will be directing him in a two picture deal, which will be period pieces.

The truth is closer to nothing is happening, only for me to be told, "not much is happening", but the powers that be are talking and hammering out something (I'd assume a direction).

That's why I think that whatever movement was happening before the strikes, has u-turned back to square one.

And I do believe that one of the reasons why there was a U-turn or a "pause", is partly because (I can't believe I am writing this, lol), of what @Mendes4Lyfe commented on today: EoN, like any company, does look at box office trends to assess what global audiences may want to see in an action-thriller.

But right now, this industry walked out of a three year global pandemic into two straight strikes (one still to be resolved (I'm hoping by the end of the weekend, or early in the week)), and there are no real proper trends for EoN to measure themselves up to in the action-thriller genre right now.

This is no time for EoN just to make any old James Bond flick. They need a firm understanding over which direction they move in to better assure, not just a "hit" film, but to launch an entirely new era.

Once again, The Bond Experience did an excellent video breaking down what goes into these films (I'd just add these same elements, to one degree or another, go into all film projects), and everyone should also heed David's advice....
    Has EON ever made an any old James Bond flick?If so, would producers have shared that view, that they were just cranking out a film with no firm understanding of where their series was headed?

On this thread posters have speculated where Bond might be headed. Often bold speculations, quickly followed up by 'level headed' posters that Bond won't change much at all.

If Bond 26 won't be this, that, or the other, in fact changed very little, where is the reinvention? What is being reinvented? What will set this Bond and Bond films apart from all that came before? What could we see that we haven't seen before?
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 1,708