Would you rather EON adapt the continuation novels OR continue to develop their own adventures?

Comments

Venutius wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Still amazed by how much NTTD "borrowed" (consciously or not) from CR'67.
    Yes - so much so, I've sometimes wondered if some of the writers included stuff partly as an in-joke to see how much they could get away with before someone twigged.
    In CR'67, Bond retires after an unhappy relationship and goes off to live somewhere idyllic. His '007' number is assigned to another agent. Bond's asked to return to work - he’s reluctant but then agrees. The villains make a failed attempt to kill him in his car. There's doubts about the loyalty of the female lead. She has a daughter with Bond that he's never seen. They meet up and rekindle their love. The main villain is killed and replaced by a younger villain with a plan to kill large parts of the world's population. He kidnaps Bond’s daughter, forcing Bond to track him to his base. The villain's lair explodes and Bond is killed, though the world is saved. Yep - NTTD is virtually a remake of CR'67, man!

Blimey!!!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Wow! Never realized all the parallels between the movies. Crazy!

Lets move on to another question and see if this can spark some debate.

Through out the series Bond has been deeply associated with Aston Martin. Starting with GF and then in TB, OHMSS the Aston was featured. After a long hiatus Aston Martin returned in TLD and went on to appear in GE, and TND. However the tricked out car in TND and TWINE was a BMW. The Vanish, I mean Vanquish returned in DAD and then throughout Daniel's run we were back with Aston Martin.

Some were fatigued by the Aston Martin, or maybe it was the use, or over use of the DB-5.

Bond has driven Lotus Esprit and BMW in some of the films. It would appear that the producers like the product placement money of Aston Martin. I guess this is a hypothetical question, here it goes.

In the next film would you like Bond to drive an Aston Martin OR Bond drives a different make of vehicle?

Feel free to offer up what type of vehicle you think Bond would be suited for, or plead your case as to why the producers should continue with the Aston Martin cars!
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Well I don't want him to drive a DB5, but Aston Martin really is the perfect companion with Bond, there's nothing else that is as beautiful, luxury, British, and so inextricably tied to the franchise anyway. The DB12 is still an Aston Martin but it looks ugly in the way that all modern cars look ugly, although they might be up to the DB14 by the time Bond 26 starts.

I prefer the look of the Bentley Batur, and Bentley is the only make that comes close to Aston, but they're not as cool and I'd rather keep that for book Bond anyhow.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Thanks @echo and @Venutius. I really feel stupid, but I've never picked up on the CR'67 and NTTD parallels .... until both of you pointed them out. Now, I can never watch NTTD the same way again. :))

As for the selection, as I've stated several times over the years, CR'67 is a guilty pleasure of mind. And I do love the Burt Bacharach score. Although the film is non-cannon, the score is in my top 5. I also love CR'67 for another reason ....

joannapettet.jpg
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Yes - so much so, I've sometimes wondered if some of the writers included stuff partly as an in-joke to see how much they could get away with before someone twigged.
    In CR'67, Bond retires after an unhappy relationship and goes off to live somewhere idyllic. His '007' number is assigned to another agent. Bond's asked to return to work - he’s reluctant but then agrees. The villains make a failed attempt to kill him in his car. There's doubts about the loyalty of the female lead. She has a daughter with Bond that he's never seen. They meet up and rekindle their love. The main villain is killed and replaced by a younger villain with a plan to kill large parts of the world's population. He kidnaps Bond’s daughter, forcing Bond to track him to his base. The villain's lair explodes and Bond is killed, though the world is saved. Yep - NTTD is virtually a remake of CR'67, man!

Very well done, your analysis.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Barbel on AJB was the first one to list the similarities, I think!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    If and when James Bond turns up again, he'll be just a military officer in His(!) Majesty's Service, and why they should provide him with an Aston Martin that costs five times his annual salary is beyond me. I'm sure that they'll revive the DB5 somehow, but it makes no more sense than in any other film after Thunderball. My opinion is still that the only car that ever made some kind of sense for Bond in any film was the BMW 7 series in TND, because nobody would have recognised that one as unusual at the time, and nor would anyone do today (except for the strange, U.S. size format licence plate which is for me a problem they could have solved easily by adopting the much bigger German format). Every other recent car was really nonsense, no matter which one.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Thanks for the shout-out @thedove! I enjoyed reading all the comments. I always wondered whether the two most unpopular EON films could beat the unofficial entries amongst the fans.

Regarding the newest question. Bond and Aston Martin will always be connected, but I rather liked that Rog and Pierce had their own 'brands'. Ideally I'd say one actor has Astons, the next one something else, and the one after that has an Aston again. So in that scenario, the next guy should have another brand, perhaps Bentley would be a nice change?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,932
    mtm wrote: »
    Barbel on AJB was the first one to list the similarities, I think!
    Yeah, it was someone over there, that's for sure - I remember saying so when we first recounted all this to much mirth last year. The credit goes to that guy, definitely - pretty sure I even paraphrased him, tbh. So damn funny it bears repeating, though, no? As for the next Bond's car, I want to see Sope step out of the DB5. Sorry/not sorry, as the kids used to say in 2010. ;)
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,074
    I have to ask, what’s with the obsession over Sope Dirisu being a potential Bond? People bring his name up a lot on the site these days and I’m just not seeing Bond when I look at him.

As for the question, I’d maybe like to see the next Bond steer (pun intended) clear of AM’s for a bit.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters

And I'll add that in the first drafts of NTTD, there's Bond being knighted, in CR '67, he's already knighted as 'Sir James Bond' 😅.
    Different make of car. I'm ready for something new in this department.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    90s Bentley - dark green or green-black, like Elektra King's private helicopter. A nod to the past, and something a little more inconspicuous. Personally I'm craving a Bond motorbike, with or without extras.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    For me Aston suits him perfectly so I don’t mind sticking to it. Just one though, not four like in NTTD!
    I have to ask, what’s with the obsession over Sope Dirisu being a potential Bond? People bring his name up a lot on the site these days and I’m just not seeing Bond when I look at him.

As for the question, I’d maybe like to see the next Bond steer (pun intended) clear of AM’s for a bit.

I think it’s because he’s been in Gangs of London where there’s a Bondian element to his performance. There’s even a Greg Williams video of him running around with a gun for one of his roles. I think people can just more easily imagine what him as Bond would look like compared to other candidates based on his previous roles (for what it’s worth I like him and would put him on my list of potential Bonds).

Anyway, Astons it is for me. It’s a brand that’s kinda synonymous with Bond now.
  • 007HallY wrote: »

I think it’s because he’s been in Gangs of London where there’s a Bondian element to his performance. There’s even a Greg Williams video of him running around with a gun for one of his roles. I think people can just more easily imagine what him as Bond would look like compared to other candidates based on his previous roles (for what it’s worth I like him and would put him on my list of potential Bonds).

Anyway, Astons it is for me. It’s a brand that’s kinda synonymous with Bond now.

That’s explains. Unfortunately I haven’t seen Gangs of London so I can’t comment on his performance but I’ve seen the show be thrown around on here a lot. I don’t have any list of potential actors for the part because I don’t want to be disappointed when the casting inevitably does happen but I find it interesting how there are some people chanting for the likes of Sope, Aidan Turner, and whoever else to get the part.
    007HallY wrote: »

That’s explains. Unfortunately I haven’t seen Gangs of London so I can’t comment on his performance but I’ve seen the show be thrown around on here a lot. I don’t have any list of potential actors for the part because I don’t want to be disappointed when the casting inevitably does happen but I find it interesting how there are some people chanting for the likes of Sope, Aidan Turner, and whoever else to get the part.

It’s worth watching in fairness. Dirisu’s good in it.

Yeah, fair enough. At the end of the day none of us know how any of our favourites for the role will actually handle the audition, if they are even considered. I think once casting is underway we’ll start to get rumours with grains of truth and a name will begin to appear (even in 2005 amongst all the Clive Owen whispers or rumours of Brosnan returning Craig’s name was mentioned during the casting process, albeit to a much lesser degree). We’re just not quite there yet.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I wouldnt mind seeing a new brand of car. Or perhaps have a film or two where Bond doesnt have one. That said, I would preferably want it to remain a British brand, McClaren perhaps.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, NTTD became a bit of a car showroom to a slightly embarrassing degree, so no car would be fine.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    It was going to be 3 Astons, which is still excessive but they CGI'd the Valhalla for the DBS, iirc. I do like how has the beat up Land Rover and Land Cruiser for some semblance of balance. Like Paloma I wish the car she 'borrows' had more than a few secs of screen time and then Logan's crappy Corolla is also there I suppose.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    No more DB5, but yes to AM
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Aston Martin DBX.

Not because it's the best looking or most amazing sports car available. Or fastest.

But because it would be unexpectedly tripped out with the most unbelievably over-the-top gadgets seen to date in Bond films.

01c9e272dc44e388806ae6b79919003574130b9b.gifv
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I have been thinking about what kind of new gadgets they could include in a future tricked out Q branch car, as we have seen so many over the years.

Best I could come up with was (I have tried to keep them mainly defensive rather than offensive weaponry etc):

1. EMP device, for disabling local cars (something similar was in the Nightfire game).
    2. Suspension system capable of putting the vehicle on either left or right two wheels, for manoeuvring out of tight spits (again, seen in the Nightfire game).
    3. Full internal virtual display on windscreen, windows, rear window etc for tracking baddies, oncoming vehicles, threats etc.
    4. Ultra-grippy tyres, for driving along tunnel walls, ceiling etc, for short periods.
    5. Electrical stinger spike system, deployed from boot.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Great job with the auto vehicle discussion. I can appreciate the relationship with Aston Martin, but I find myself wishing they gave the DB-5 a rest and showed us more modern Aston Martins.

Lets try this one. I have heard some on here espouse or suggest that it might be fun to see an "older" Bond. Some have suggested it would be fun to see Dalton or Brosnan come back and play their version as an older, wiser agent. It certainly has been an un-mined aspect of the character, keeping him young, and in some cases denying his age (Roger in AVTAK).

Lets say that EON is interested in bringing back Dalton or Brosnan for a one off adventure of an older agent.

Would you rather Dalton OR Brosnan return for a one off older Bond adventure?

You can share why your choice would be the right one. Is there a loose story to tie up? Neither ended up with a proper send off film and maybe this rectifies that. Tim only did 2 adventure so this would make a trilogy for him. I am interested to see the reasons that a certain actor is chosen.
  • Sorry Timothy. But I’d do anything for a 5th, more grounded Brossa film.
    Dalton without a doubt.
    Tim.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    As if it wasn't obvious enough. :P
    HlvzogYl.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Well seeing as how we already have 4 films with Brosnan, 5 if we include EON.

T-Dalts. He deserves all all important third film.... I would even take it in the form of a game at this point.
  • In an alternate universe, Daniel Craig made two Bond films - CR and QoS. Comparisons are made to Tim Dalton , both a 2 film Bond.
    Because QoS doesn’t perform , box office and script/strike issues, Craig isn’t rehired for a 3rd film. Michael Wilson , feeling guilty since dumping Brosnan by phone call nearly 10 years ago , convinces Barbara to rehire Brosnan back - with a hefty Connery style sum! The 50th anniversary of James Bond approaches , and the producers decide a redo of DAD is in the cards , though much more toned down . ;) In order for Brosnans arc to complete , a villain thought long dead is resurrected - Alec Trevelyan lives! The bone crushing satellite didn’t kill him, and all these years later he wants revenge on Bond, and M. The film is Skyfall as we know it , except instead of Silva as the former 00 agent we have 006 , Sean Bean and Pierce Brosnan in SkyfallEye.. releasing worldwide Nov 2012.