Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well you are in Yorkshire :P
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    I think the show would be good, I think it's well prepared enough, and of course, there's Brian Cox, who have that Bond villain style as the host to challenge the contestants.
    I'm hoping it would be good, and would cover all of the Bond films (we know some Bond projects are always leaving some Bond films and just picking out the iconic ones), hoping here, all of the Bond films would be covered.

I wonder who has done the score for it...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I was just thinking that this didn’t age so well, @Mendes4Lyfe :

“It's anything to put off the day we have someone besides Daniel Craig in the tux, I fear... “

If you actually read my posts, rather than twisting it to fit your narrative, i was saying that from what I’ve heard, not a lot has been happening on B26, certainly not a secret audition and secret casting for one actor.

🤔

About my hibernation question?……….
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    mtm wrote: »
    Well you are in Yorkshire :P
    :))
    The moment the decision was made to kill Bond, the producers knew the series was headed in a new direction. That was long before filming of NTTD concluded. Nothing I've read to date or the strike convinces me there hasn't been time to plan for the next Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    CrabKey wrote: »
    The moment the decision was made to kill Bond, the producers knew the series was headed in a new direction. That was long before filming of NTTD concluded. Nothing I've read to date or the strike convinces me there hasn't been time to plan for the next Bond.

I agree, to act as if no thought or work has been done on the next incarnation is ludicrous.
    CrabKey wrote: »

How many years would that be already?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    cjfukunaga-dcraig.jpg?fit=1280%2C853&ssl=1
    Tomorrow it'll be 4 years since filming for NTTD wrapped
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    So Turner will NOT be Bond then? Who would have thought?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    M:I 8’s released got delayed to 2025.

Superman: Legacy principal shoot date has been delayed to spring.

More projects have already died and will never see the light of day.

The entire industry has been disrupted, and there is a lot of evidence of these disruptions…
    The delays to Mission Impossible 7 and 8 are making the wait for NTTD seem standard
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

The entire industry has been disrupted, and there is a lot of evidence of these disruptions…

Edit: great article @Mallory and it is one of the only things (along with the Spy Command), that have a reasonable and realistic understanding of the business and why there are delays.

I hope all the members on this site who feel impatient, click this link…
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 3,279

Yes I get this. But at least MI and Superman are work in progress.

I suppose what we would all want to hear as fans is there is a draft script they are working on, but no one has been cast yet, and so there isn't a shoot date yet either. That would at least sound promising.

To say rather dismissively that they haven't even thought about starting the next one yet is what is disappointing fans.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 14,990
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    The delays to Mission Impossible 7 and 8 are making the wait for NTTD seem standard

Yeah NTTD had it easy compared to them- it must feel like a cursed set! Covid, strikes, lockdowns, they've had it all. By the time it comes out they'll started shooting five years before!

Yes I get this. But at least MI and Superman are work in progress.

I suppose what we would all want to hear as fans is there is a draft script they are working on, but no one has been cast yet, and so there isn't a shoot date yet either. That would at least sound promising.

To say rather dismissively that they haven't even thought about starting the next one yet is what is disappointing fans.

They can't cast anyone when there's a strike on (I feel like this has been pointed out a few times in this thread! :) ), and as actual work-in-progress films (as you say) are having their release dates pushed back, issuing one for a film which hasn't even started would seem pretty optimistic, no?

She was also promoting the TV show, not talking about the next movie, so probably didn't want to talk about it; what she said about it may not be the entire truth (they tend to only announce directors etc. when they've actually been hired, not before they've finished negotiations etc.); and may well have had her hands tied by some sort of internal situation anyway. There's no need to be disappointed just yet.
    Why isn’t the British film industry in uproar about this? Do they not care that James fricking Bond seems to be delayed indefinitely by the inactions of their lethargic caretakers? There should be demonstrations from the entertainment industry for the better treatment of a British public institution like Bknd. 😡
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2023 Posts: 5,869
    Why isn’t the British film industry in uproar about this? Do they not care that James fricking Bond seems to be delayed indefinitely by the inactions of their lethargic caretakers? There should be demonstrations from the entertainment industry for the better treatment of a British public institution like Bknd. 😡
    Because maybe the industry understands better than anyone why EON are taking their time to consider where they want to take the franchise going forward? And to suggest that there should be protests based on this information is going a bit far don't you think? Do you also think there should have been protests when it took six years before Goldeneye was released?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Plus they also probably understand that what has been said in a bit of outwards-facing marketing fluff for a TV show probably isn't a forensically accurate portrayal of the internal state of play of a multi-million dollar movie project too :)
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited October 2023 Posts: 3,392

They don't care, I mean have there been any good films from British Film Franchises in the last ten years?
    Look at Harry Potter and its spin offs Fantastic Beasts, for example.

For me, if there's anyone who should be concerned about this, it's the IFP.

If Lucy Fleming is still in charge, why not have her question Broccoli and Wilson about the state of the Franchise? Well, I'm not expecting, killing Bond doesn't bother her either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What's it got to do with IFP?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    “Lethargic caretakers”, “protests” “Lucy Fleming”????

Either not relevant to making films, or just flat-out hyperbolic and untrue exclamations.

They're still in charge with the character too, right? What I'm saying is if who's the one in charge with IFP should question Broccoli and Wilson about these long delays.

Because they still have the rights regarding the James Bond character.

That's my thought.

Think of why the Franchise still couldn't adapt those continuation novels, because the IFP still have the control, think of why they still couldn't adapt TSWLM novel? And I think that's also the reason.

They still have the influence, power and control over the James Bond Franchise.

I'm actually surprised that IFP had no reaction regarding the events of NTTD (killing Bond), so let alone this.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent

They don't care, I mean have there been any good films from British Film Franchises in the last ten years?
    Look at Harry Potter and its spin offs Fantastic Beasts, for example.

For me, if there's anyone who should be concerned about this, it's the IFP.

If Lucy Fleming is still in charge, why not have her question Broccoli and Wilson about the state of the Franchise? Well, I'm not expecting, killing Bond doesn't bother her either.

Paddington? Which itself has changed director and taken 6 years to get a release date for the third film which is still going to be another year.

Also IFP have done Young Bond and Sherwood's trilogy, I think they're much more risk taking than EON have been. But yeah given those I don't think killing Bond would've phased them, they've keep plowing on and there's no reason to think EON aren't doing the same.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Bingo.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,934
    I think the new guy will actually benefit from having a relatively long gap between his run and Dan's and delays due to the strikes are out of EON's hands, so it's perfectly understandable that they haven't made any practical progress. It's the idea that 'we haven't even started to think about' what they want to do next that's troubling. If we take EON at their word, it's not that they haven't decided which way to go, but that they haven't even thought about it. That's not goood... I know BB said that she was 'in denial' about the end of the Craig era, but not even to have begun to vaguely consider the next step yet? Hmm. I'm hoping it's not actually true and it's just a blanket denial to stop the press from niggling away at them with the same old questions.

Bingo.

Read my statement above.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Delays due to the strikes are one thing. That's out of their hands and it's perfectly understandable. It's the idea that 'we haven't even started to think about' what they want to do next that's troubling. I know BB said that she was 'in denial' about the end of the Craig era, but even to have begun to vaguely consider the next step yet? Hmm.

I think due to these factors:

1. Barbara is still looking into the new Hollywood trends, perhaps?
    2. Introducing the new Bond actor into this era is really hard, especially which tone are they going? Is it going to be campy? Gritty again? That's another thing.
    3. How to keep Bond relevant into this world.
    4. Introducing Bond into the new generation of audiences.
    5. Barbara Broccoli is busy doing other projects (see Till).

It's hard to blame Barbara Broccoli, it's really hard to think of a new tactic, if it's still in the Craig Era, then it's more easier because people already acknowledged his era, but what we're talking here is introducing the new Bond actor into the role, everything's new: new tone, new style, all is new and different from the Craig Era, and that's the hardest thing: making the new Bond actor's era a distinction from the previous eras, they've tried all the formulas, so they're thinking into something unique and haven't done before.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

They're still in charge with the character too, right? What I'm saying is if who's the one in charge with IFP should question Broccoli and Wilson about these long delays.

Because they still have the rights regarding the James Bond character.

That's my thought.

Think of why the Franchise still couldn't adapt those continuation novels, because the IFP still have the control, think of why they still couldn't adapt TSWLM novel? And I think that's also the reason.

They still have the influence, power and control over the James Bond Franchise.

I'm actually surprised that IFP had no reaction regarding the events of NTTD (killing Bond), so let alone this.

I'm not sure what you're on about. They have control over what they do with the character themselves to a certain extent but it belongs to Danjaq i.e. EON.
    If you open a recent Bond novel you'll see an inscription saying 'James Bond 007 used under licence from Danjaq LLC' - they're not in control of Bond overall at all and have no power, no. However you certainly won't see the IFP name on a Bond film. If anything, EON have the power over them. They can choose to take James Bond away from IFP any time they like. I can well imagine, in fact, that EON have signoff on the novels IFP produce.

EON are resistant to adapting continuation novels because a) there's nothing really crying out to be adapted
    b) they'd have to pay adaptation rights which they don't have to do if they come up with a story themselves.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @SIS_HQ , I have read your statements, and one doesn’t have to do with the other.

They are separate entities in entirely different mediums….
    Venutius wrote: »
    Delays due to the strikes are one thing. That's out of their hands and it's perfectly understandable. It's the idea that 'we haven't even started to think about' what they want to do next that's troubling. If we take them at their word, it's not that they haven't decided which way to go, but that they haven't even thought about it. That's not goood... I know BB said that she was 'in denial' about the end of the Craig era, but not even to have begun to vaguely consider the next step yet? Hmm.

The quote wasn't the best to be honest, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a white lie on Barbara's part. I doubt they've done no work on Bond 26 whatsoever
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @SIS_HQ , I have read your statements, and one doesn’t have to do with the other.

They are separate entities in entirely different mediums….

Yes indeed, and one owns the character whilst the other just uses it under licence from the other. A licensee has no power over the item which they're effectively renting.