Would you rather have a video game based on LALD OR TSWLM?

Comments

Sign me up for Piz Gloria as well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'll take the yacht, please. I love the water, especially the warm kind, helps with peace of my mind and when I'm bored of one place, I'll just sail into another port!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'll admit that as soon as I saw "yacht" that music popped into my head.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Nice to see the yacht getting some love. I think the yacht is a more practical choice for a vacation spot as it can travel. Piz Gloria looks lovely but not sure I would want to stay there for a vacation.

Ok lets move on to another one!

In the course of Sean's, Roger's, Pierce's and Daniel's films there have been masterpieces and some uneven films. The law of averages says when you do more than 2 films they aren't all going to be solid hits. So for the next few we are going to pair some of those uneven films up against each other and see which one you would rather give a watch to.

First up, Daniel against Sean!

Would you rather watch DAF or SP?

Yes different tones in each movie. But both are often towards the bottom of people's rankings. Sean was trying a different tone and welcoming a less serious era of Bond films, Daniel was bringing back an old enemy and updating it for modern audiences. DAF represented the last time Blofeld was on screen till SP!

This was Sean's last, and SP was written to be Daniel's last one, or at least could have served as his last one!

So mi6 community, which film would you rather watch. If you could only choose from these two titles. :) ;)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Both are my dark horse favorites and in my top 10.

I like DAF more than SP but love Craig's performance in SP more than Connerys in DAF
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Craig in SP, at least he is in better shape and looks more interested in being there.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Daniel in SP unquestionably, for me.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DAF. It's a tonally more coherent movie.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited October 2023 Posts: 3,391
    Both are in my bottom 5.

But would rather watch Daniel in SP, for me, his performance is one of the positive aspects of the film, his approach of Madeleine in Austria with him trying to convince her to be on his side after saving her from Mr. Hinx, that interaction between the two, felt like it came from Fleming books.
    Madeleine: Argh, don't touch me!
    Bond: Hey! You need to take a breath and calm down, you're in shock.
    Madeleine: Get away from me! Just get away!
    Madeleine: Did it cross your mind that you led them to me?
    Bond: I haven't got time for this. You need to tell me everything you know about L'Americain.
    Madeleine: Go to hell!
    Bond: I gave your father my word!
    Madeleine: And why should I trust you? Because my father did?
    Bond: Because right now, Dr. Swann, I'm your best chance of staying alive.

This is Craig speaking like how Fleming's Bond spoke in the books when he's having an interaction with a woman.

Then you have Bond identifying the Rolls Royce car that Blofeld used to picked them up in Morocco while they're in waiting shed, a man with knowledge of brands, very Flemingesque:
    Madeleine: What's that?
    Bond:That is a 1948 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith.

And SP is ahead of DAF for me in bottom 5.
    SP is #22, DAF is #24.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    No matter how much I have a soft spot for Diamonds, I’d probably watch Spectre to see Monica Bellucci waiting for the assassins to take her out, only to have Bond ambush them.

Love that scene.

I also love the following scenes with Ms. Sciarra and Bond as they have a little, yet highly charged, verbal sparring match.

And after they sleep with each other, and before Bond heads off to the meeting, Craig looks spectacular as James Bond.

Connery was fantastic and light of foot in Diamonds, but he’s no match for Craig (even if this is my least favourite of Craig’s Bond films).
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I quite like DAF, but I am unofficially the community's biggest SP fan, so I'll take the latter ;)
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Yeah as flawed as it is I'm too much of a Craig fangirl to say anything other than Spectre
  • Are we referring to film or performance? In that sense I’m inclined to prefer Craig as Bond in SP, but I get more enjoyment out of DAF as a film.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Both are in my bottom 5.

But would rather watch Daniel in SP, for me, his performance is one of the positive aspects of the film, his approach of Madeleine in Austria with him trying to convince her to be on his side after saving her from Mr. Hinx, that interaction between the two, felt like it came from Fleming books.
    Bond: I haven't got time for this. You need to tell me everything you know about L'Americain.

This is Craig speaking like how Fleming's Bond spoke in the books when he's having an interaction with a woman.

Then you have Bond identifying the Rolls Royce car that Blofeld used to picked them up in Morocco while they're in waiting shed, a man with knowledge of brands, very Flemingesque:

SP is #22, DAF is #24.

Great post!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    thedove wrote: »
    Nice to see the yacht getting some love. I think the yacht is a more practical choice for a vacation spot as it can travel. Piz Gloria looks lovely but not sure I would want to stay there for a vacation.

Ok lets move on to another one!

In the course of Sean's, Roger's, Pierce's and Daniel's films there have been masterpieces and some uneven films. The law of averages says when you do more than 2 films they aren't all going to be solid hits. So for the next few we are going to pair some of those uneven films up against each other and see which one you would rather give a watch to.

First up, Daniel against Sean!

Yes different tones in each movie. But both are often towards the bottom of people's rankings. Sean was trying a different tone and welcoming a less serious era of Bond films, Daniel was bringing back an old enemy and updating it for modern audiences. DAF represented the last time Blofeld was on screen till SP!

This was Sean's last, and SP was written to be Daniel's last one, or at least could have served as his last one!

So mi6 community, which film would you rather watch. If you could only choose from these two titles. :) ;)

I'm not sure I read or understood the comments inbetween. And I totally like the Craig era. But I would indeed rather watch DAD again (for its nonsensical but funny dialogue) quite a bit more than SP. It's just a whole effing bunch of more fun.
    SP for me. It gets a hard time around here, but I enjoy majority of it. DAF not so much, it has its moments, but few and far between!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    thedove wrote: »

I'll buck the trend and vote for Sean in DAF. It's got a terrific John Barry score, some of the most quotable dialogue in the series, Sean and Jill seem to be enjoying themselves more than Daniel and Lea, it moves quicker and is 28 minutes shorter. Basically I have more fun watching it of these two options.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'll always take DAF and SP than a good majority of Bond films
    DAF without question. One of my go-to Bonds that I never tire of.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Both of these are among my favorite Bond films, but I'll take DAF.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2023 Posts: 7,526
    I always love to see love for SP. I put it on super often, it never feels long to me at all; tempus fugit when you’re having fun!

And I’m certainly not blind to its many flaws… I wish I could have script doctored it, I could have made it much better. ;)
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    For those asking I kept it vague. I was thinking of which film and not the performance of the actor. But I will keep it up to you to decide.

Great answers and I am enjoying that SP is getting some love. DAF is one of my guilty pleasures. Its fun and camp. Sean seems more engaged than before. I think it has some great dialogue and the casting was great, except for maybe Grey has Blofeld.

Overall I am choosing DAF over SP
    I really like SP, but I'd got for DAF just because it was the second Bond film I saw in the cinema, after OHMSS the year before at a Pontins holiday camp, and, although I was only 6, I still remember the experience and the audience cheering when Connery first appeared. I also love Barry's score and Shirley's title song, which is a classic.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Daniel in Spectre no doubt.
    I watched it again last night and I forgot how much I love his performance. Some of his line deliveries are some of my favourite in the series, "tell me where he is!" and "I could think of worse ways to go" are two of my favourites
    Both are in my bottom 5.

SP is #22, DAF is #24.

Yeah, can definitely see all that. We often speak of Craig’s SP performance being his closest to Connery’s in GF (so closer to the classic film Bond) but there’s definitely a touch of Fleming in there too.

I prefer Craig’s performance in SP. As mixed as I am about the film itself I like that they run with the concept of a more relaxed, invigorated Bond after the events of SF. It feels more like he’s in his prime in this film, which is kinda cool to see.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland

I'll buck the trend and vote for Sean in DAF. It's got a terrific John Barry score, some of the most quotable dialogue in the series, Sean and Jill seem to be enjoying themselves more than Daniel and Lea, it moves quicker and is 28 minutes shorter. Basically I have more fun watching it of these two options.
    Very good points. Another big plus for me are Wint and Kidd and Bond standing on an elevator in pure style. I still prefer SP, though. However, both are a bit disappointing and will always stay in the lower half of my ranking.

Very good points. Another big plus for me are Wint and Kidd and Bond standing on an elevator in pure style. I still prefer SP, though. However, both are a bit disappointing and will always stay in the lower half of my ranking.

Wint and Kidd are very memorable and fun, while also being rare nasty and threatening. Spectre's hench man, as much as I like the actor, is just too "off the peg".
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Well, DAF is even Moore's personal favorite:

https://screenrant.com/roger-moore-favorite-bond-movie-diamonds-forever/

He'd stated that in some interviews as well.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well, DAF is even Moore's personal favorite:

https://screenrant.com/roger-moore-favorite-bond-movie-diamonds-forever/

He'd stated that in some interviews as well.

Well, all I can say is that even a Saint has flaws...

Anyway, DAF for me is too much of a sloppy film, with moonbuggy wheels randomly running through the screen and that uttery stupid alleyway changing-of-sides as signs that they just weren't paying attention. SP was made properly. Yes, the story has (too many) flaws, but at least the production itself was sound enough. So I'd rather watch SP.

on the previous one, after a long deliberation, I think I'll go for the yacht. IRRC it was quite an impressive ship, and though I love Switserland, and the view must be amazing I'm not much of an avid skiier.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Man that’s a tough choice; Zboth rank at the bottom for me . I’ll go wit DAF ; at least it has the nostalgia value.