What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

peter wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    I recently watched the Batman trilogy again (Batman day) and it reminded my that Nolam IMHO struggles with the human/character side. This was confirmed when I googled "Nolan cold". He perhaps would be good for a return to the SC era if thats the way they wanted to go but I think he would stuggle if they wanted the more emotional style (CR. SF ) There are very few great directors who can do action and, at the same time, leave room for the relationaship side of things

I agree wholeheartedly, @patb

Yeah, the last two Dark Knight films are especially cerebral and idea oriented when you rewatch them, and not always in a good way (I tend to be in the minority saying this too, but I think the ending of TDK is especially odd when you actually give it a second thought, and it's not something ever particularly critiqued in the next film which is a bit of a missed opportunity). A bit too much contrived, pseudo philosophical speeches from characters for me too.
    The cerebral point is well made. It's a thin line between having your own style and being self indulgent. It's as though Nolan can't help himself, an itch he has to scratch. If he tried scratching the itch for a Bond movie, it could go wrong very badly IMHO.
    Is it too late for Michael Mann?
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 6,677
    I find it interesting that whenever a cultural object is more intelectual, people start talking about self indulgence and criptic egotism and pseudo philosophical,… when they should be honest and say they prefer it medium rare, or Michael Mann overdone/scorched. Now, when something is rare - pun intended - resistance begins. Kubrick faced similar criticism back in the day, for example.

In the literary world this reasoning is even more nefarious. The so called market has killed the noveau roman and experimentation with those same arguments: self endulgence, dense, pseudo intelectualism,…

I, for one, appreciate rarity. And I would confidently put Nolan at the helm of a Bond film. It’s not the sort of experimentation I dread.
  • Could not disagree more. Not only do I think he does not struggle with the human/character side, I believe he is GREAT at it.
    Could not disagree more. Not only do I think he does not struggle with the human/character side, I believe he is GREAT at it.
    Me too.
    We all interpret these movies differently..I would be interested to hear from Nolan fans re characters in his movies where they feel a genuine emotional connection to?
  • Imagine if they announced Nolan on March 11, 2024, a day after he wins an Oscar for directing!
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited September 2023 Posts: 1,006
    Imagine if they announced Nolan on March 11, 2024, a day after he wins an Oscar for directing!

Doubt Nolan would go for that as he'd want to bask in the spotlight of Oppenheimer's (likely) big Oscar haul.

However, it does seem feasible that he is announced to direct Bond 26 in the lead up to the Oscars! (Like 2-ish weeks prior). Would be a nice double peak in the media.
    patb wrote: »
    We all interpret these movies differently..I would be interested to hear from Nolan fans re characters in his movies where they feel a genuine emotional connection to?

Have you seen Interetellar and Mcconaughey’s interpretation? Or Pacino in Insomnia? Or Memento? Or The Prestige’s character motivations? I mean, all of his characters have backgrounds and sollid psychological constructions. And how can you not feel emotional when Mcconaughey watches his son’s recordings? Or the angst of the life long detective when murdering his partner in Insomnia? Or DiCaprio’s pain with the appearances if his suicidal wife in his constructs?

But this is the wrong thread for this, and I lack the time for it. Others can further expand on this.
  • Every time this century when there was a bigger than 3 year gap between two Bond films, the new director was announced 2.25 to 2.5 years after the release of the last film.

Martin Campbell was announced in February 2005
    Sam Mendes was announced in January 2011
    Danny Boyle was announced in May 2018
    Bond 26 director to be announced in early 2024?
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Every time this century when there was a bigger than 3 year gap between two Bond films, the new director was announced 2.25 to 2.5 years after the release of the last film.

The strikes still have to end!
  • LucknFate wrote: »
    The writer's strike is over.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    The writer's strike is over.

Yes.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Every time this century when there was a bigger than 3 year gap between two Bond films, the new director was announced 2.25 to 2.5 years after the release of the last film.

I wouldn't set too much store by that. Every situation is different.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 487
    Of course every situation is different. All I am saying is that no more than two years after the release of the last Bond film the producers are usually at the stage of very actively looking for a director.
    It's an interesting and probably notable analysis, for sure. We won't go 2024 without some sort of news, good or bad.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 991
    Pros and Cons of a Nolan Bond movie (if the rumors are true):
    Pros:

- Would probably be a decent movie.
    - Guaranteed success.
    - If there's continuity again at least it will be planned.
    - Action will use practical effects.
    - Will likely be 2-3 years between films.

Cons:
    - Years of more of dark, sad and serious*.
    - Could feel less like a Bond movie, and more like a Nolan movie that happens to have James Bond.
    - A 60s set movie would be EON admitting they no longer know how to make a modern Bond movie.
    - Wouldn't have the fun, wink at the audience of Connery/Moore/Brosnan*.
    - New Bond actor could get overshadowed by Nolan.
    - Probably no David Arnold*.
    - This sub would get overrun by Nolan/film study bros.

- Dankanator6, r/JamesBond

*Depends on which tone/portrayal/composer/whatever you prefer.
    - The sound mixing would be really bad as usual.
    - Bond himself would be very bland and have no quips.
    - The script would be bad (the things they said in tenet was some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard).
    - The gadgets would be disappointing*.
    - The villain would probably be bad (the joker and bane were elevated by their actors. Liam neeson in batman begins and the villain in tenet were so boring).
    - If it's a period piece it would be a massive step back.

- I_love_lucja_1738, r/JamesBond
    Interesting and I think accurate perspectives for the broadest audience out there. There's appetite, but it'd somehow be a creative gamble yielding so much power.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 2023 Posts: 8,548
    - The sound mixing would be really bad as usual.
    - Bond himself would be very bland and have no quips.
    - The script would be bad (the things they said in tenet was some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard).
    - The gadgets would be disappointing*.
    - The villain would probably be bad (the joker and bane were elevated by their actors. Liam neeson in batman begins and the villain in tenet were so boring).
    - If it's a period piece it would be a massive step back.

Plus Nolan doesn’t know how to write and shoot engaging female leads. Whatever good that creeps out of these (mostly) one dimensional female leads usually comes from the actor cast in the role (and her own innate talent).
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,934
    Anya Taylor-Joy would transcend most flat scripts, though, right? Although, it'd be a huge shame to waste her on anything less than wonderful. I hate that damn word 'iconic', but imagining the on-screen pairing of Anya and Sope leaves you struggling to find a better word for it...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Venutius , I really enjoy Taylor-Joy… She’s got a very strong screen presence. I personally would never want to see her in a Nolan film just so I can see her slowly become not much more than background wallpaper.
    :)) Yeah, when you put it like that...
    Whatever is the next Bond, whoever is the next Bond, ATJ must be in it. And I mean Anya Taylor-Joy, of course ;)
    Just for fun: Ranking the previous Bond directors in order of how likely they are to be asked to direct Bond 26. From most likely to least likely, with comments about why they could be hired and why they probably won't be hired.

1. Mendes
    - pro: delivered one of the most successful Bond movies of all time
    - con: his follow-up was far less successful
    2. Campbell
    - pro: rebooted the franchise twice - both times very successfully
    - con: he will turn 80 this month
    3. Fukunaga
    - pro: directed the last Bond film, which overall was a success and EON seemed to be very satisfied with
    - con: the allegations probably sank his chances. before they surfaced, he was probably the no. 1 on this list
    4. Forster
    - pro: can't really name any
    - con: his Bond movie was a disappointment
    5. Spottiswoode
    - con: too old, not a very good director
    6. Tamahori
    - con: EON probably would not want to make another DAD-style Bond film
    7. Glen
    - pro: very experienced. directed FIVE Bond films!
    - con: he is 91

Overall I have to say that I doubt Bond 26 will be directed by someone who has made a Bond film before. And Mendes is the only one whose return would not completely shock me.
    Campbell only makes a good film when everything is already in place. Look at most of his other films.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,934
    Forster said that he turned down EON's offer to direct Craig's third film. I may have mentioned it once or twice before, but I jolly well love QOS - yet Forster said if he'd done another, he'd've wanted it to be a much lighter movie with the return of all the tropes, gadgets and gags. So I vote that Forster doesn't come back! ;)
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited October 2023 Posts: 1,006
    Venutius wrote: »
    Forster said that he turned down EON's offer to direct Craig's third film. I may have mentioned it once or twice before, but I jolly well love QOS - yet Forster said if he'd done another, he'd've wanted it to be a much lighter movie with the return of all the tropes, gadgets and gags. So I vote that Forster doesn't come back! ;)

I do remember that.
    As a fellow QOS fan, I'd welcome the idea given his dramatic chops... and let's face it: Quantum could've been a much lesser film considering what he had to work with.

I'd want Schaefer back on cinematography and Arnold doing the score too.
    Maybe if Nolan directs two Bond films set in the past, the first one could be a faithful adaptation of Moonraker entirely set in England as the novel, and his second one a big, global one.
    Imagine if they announced Nolan on March 11, 2024, a day after he wins an Oscar for directing!

Easy now.... there's Ridley Scott and his Napoleon epic.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2023 Posts: 8,113
    A stray thought just crossed my mind:

Now that development on Bond 26 can truly get underway, we could be getting the film much sooner than expected and Amazon are probably breathing down EONs neck to get a move on so...

What's to stop Babs from simply hiring P+W, Martin Campbell and David Arnold again to start the next era? I mean if they want to hit a November 2025 release - it would work and be much less likely to cause problems/delays than another Boyle/Mendes type.

Call me crazy but I still think Campbell can pull off a great bond film if hes given the right material to work with.