Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Creasy47 wrote: »

6. That guy wasn't important, merely a new courier that's a fresh member of the IMF, much like the previous one that delivered the mission to Ethan in Fallout.

And his role was to establish for the audience that every IMF member makes The Choice.
    Also he's played by an actor by the name of Alex James Phelps. Yep: he's Jim Phelps.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    @ringfire211, been a while since I last saw it so might overlook some huge details here and wind up incorrect, but:

1. The White Widow possesses one half of the key. Why she's going through with a sale when Grace still has the other half key is indeed a mystery. However, her plan wasn't outright to agree to sell to Gabriel; she was going to sell it to Kittridge, netting her $100 million, whereas Gabriel knew through the Entity that he would wind up with the key no matter what, so he was positioning himself to merely kill and rob whoever obtained it in the end. But you're right, unless I'm overthinking something, Grace ends up fleeing the party with her half of the key still, so Alanna setting up a meet was pretty pointless. Last I recall, there's a bunch of sleight of hand at the party and Grace ends up leaving with it.

2. Again, I don't think Grace had that expectation. She definitely doesn't want it going to Gabriel and is partly using this meet to acquire protection for herself (while disguised as the White Widow). She has that change of heart and ends up canceling the deal, pickpocketing the full key back, and trying to flee. After this point, her sole desire is to keep the key from falling into the wrong hands, despite having her own motivations before.

3. I'm not sure if Kittridge and Denlinger are together but I'm assuming not, considering the latter is hidden away in a cabin. Kittridge just wants America to possess the key and have the power it inevitably unlocks, whereas Denlinger wants it probably for the same reasons but selfishly because he knows the key will eventually prove he had a hand, accidental or not, in the sinking of the sub and wants to clear his name.

4. Yes, I think he considers the Entity having "overperformed" when it infiltrated the Sevastopol and that was when it went rogue.

5. I don't remember that "one key" quote. I was under the impression they were both on the sub and both were retrieved when the bodies later turned up in the melting ice elsewhere.

6. That guy wasn't important, merely a new courier that's a fresh member of the IMF, much like the previous one that delivered the mission to Ethan in Fallout.

7. It's an IMF car. His phone app lists cars and safehouses and something else, if memory serves, so it's hinting at the IMF having assets like this stationed all around the world as a last resort for agents in the field.

I do think the film and its plot points will become a bit more clear with a few more viewings but there's no denying it's very confusing on a first (and even second) viewing and I'm sure a lot of it won't hold up to scrutiny. Even the details I remember are fuzzy and left me confused when typing this up.
    Thanks for the responses, Creasy.

1. Actually the White Widow doesn’t possess one half of the key. Grace (disguised as White Widow) does. Kittridge has the other half. That’s why they’re having the transaction on the train. So that Kittridge can get the other half of the key. So the question remains - what is the real White Widow doing on the train when she doesn’t have the half key in her possession? She clearly didn’t get it from Grace the night before. So she’s basically empty handed on the train. So why is she there? That’s a mystery.

3. Denlinger is basically a more evil version of Kittridge but what he’s doing on that train is kind of muddled. I’m guessing that like Gabriel he’s trying to get his hands on the key. Is he shadowing Kittridge without the latter knowing it? Or did they both board the train together? If so wouldn’t they both be at the table during the transaction with “White Widow”? Or is Denlinger planning to kill Kittridge and grab the key for himself? Same as Gabriel’s plan? Not clear.

I would really like someone to do a step by step path that those 2 keys have taken. Preferably someone who has seen the film more than once. I’m really confused about the path these 2 keys have taken. Ilsa had the one key in the desert and that’s the one she gives to Ethan who then gives it to Kittridge? But isn’t that the same key that Ethan then tries to use as bait at the airport to see where the courier will take that key? Which then keeps exchanging hands. So then where’s the second key? How does Kittridge come to possess it on the train? To match with the first key that Grace disguised as White Widow brings to the exchange on the train? And did both those keys originate from the sunken submarine? If so then whoever recovered the wreckage (CIA?) should have recovered both keys, right? So how did they get separated?
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Friday (9/1)

Mission: Impossible - 20
    Mission: Impossible Two - 10 (-2)
    Mission: Impossible Three - 8
    M:I Ghost Protocol - 21 (+1)
    M:I Rogue Nation - 23
    M:I Fallout - 21
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 21
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @ringfire211

1. You are right, I totally forgot that. The White Widow is an arms dealer/broker, so it makes sense that she'd be there to get her fee, of sorts, but yes, why would she be there if Kittridge has one half and the other half is in the wind? I'm really itching for this one to release digitally or on physical media so I can trace it myself and try to recognize every clue and plot point and connect it all myself.

3. I do think Denlinger had his own plans, probably to kill Kittridge after the transaction or whatever led him to be able to manipulate the Entity for his own gains while covering his tracks.

I'd gladly rush to cinemas to see it for a third time if it was still playing, but even then, I don't think I could take notes quickly enough to discern it all myself. I'm looking forward to getting to the point where I can trace, follow, and understand it all, or at least recognize there's some bad script work involved and it doesn't make much sense when put under a microscope.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    @ringfire211

1. You are right, I totally forgot that. The White Widow is an arms dealer/broker, so it makes sense that she'd be there to get her fee, of sorts, but yes, why would she be there if Kittridge has one half and the other half is in the wind? I'm really itching for this one to release digitally or on physical media so I can trace it myself and try to recognize every clue and plot point and connect it all myself.

3. I do think Denlinger had his own plans, probably to kill Kittridge after the transaction or whatever led him to be able to manipulate the Entity for his own gains while covering his tracks.

I'd gladly rush to cinemas to see it for a third time if it was still playing, but even then, I don't think I could take notes quickly enough to discern it all myself. I'm looking forward to getting to the point where I can trace, follow, and understand it all, or at least recognize there's some bad script work involved and it doesn't make much sense when put under a microscope.
    Yep you really need to watch this one on Blu-Ray so that you can pause it every time the key changes hands and take notes. And not just regarding the key but other developments in the plot too.

But I really want to know how those 2 keys initially came into the possession of whoever had them. And the path that they took from there on out. I still can’t recall who had them first. I mean after the submarine explosion.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Saturday

Mission: Impossible Two - 10
    Mission: Impossible Three - 6 -2
    M:I Ghost Protocol - 22 +1

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited September 2023 Posts: 16,333
    Saturday

Mission: Impossible Two - 11 +1
    Mission: Impossible Three - 4 -2

M:I Ghost Protocol - 22
    Saturday

Mission: Impossible Two - 12 (+1)
    Mission: Impossible Three - 2 (-2)

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mission: Impossible Two - 10 -2
    Mission: Impossible Three - 2
    M:I Fallout - 22 +1

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mission: Impossible Three - 0 -2
    M:I Fallout - 23 +1
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited September 2023 Posts: 4,398
    Shame. I'm too late to support MI3. I definitely prefer it to other entries here.
    But anyway, thanks for coming up with this game.

Mission: Impossible Two - 8 (-2)
    M:I Rogue Nation - 24 (+1)
    M:I Fallout - 23

Eliminated:
    Mission: Impossible Three

• Mission: Impossible - 20
    Mission: Impossible Two - 6 (-2)
    M:I Rogue Nation - 24
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 22 (+1)
    @ringfire211, it sounds to me like the Americans retrieved the keys and Ilsa got one half because she killed the courier delivering it. The other half isn't as clear.

Saturday Vote:

Mission: Impossible Two - 6
    M:I Ghost Protocol - 20 (-2)
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 23 (+1)

Eliminated:

Mission: Impossible III
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    3 booted before 2??? I can't comprehend that.
    In a general fan tally, it'd never happen, but for me personally, I'm glad that's the case.
    While it's not as polished as the films that followed, I absolutely love MI:3
    I purposefully try hard every time to see what everybody else does when I rewatch it and I can't. Abrams' style doesn't work for me at all in the M:I universe. PSH is an outstanding villain though, arguably the best in the entire series.
    Oh I get feeling that way about a film; I’m the same when it comes to MI:2, no matter how many times I try to give it a chance I U just can’t make it to through the film . At this point when I do a MI marathon, I just skip 2
    mtm wrote: »
    Mission: Impossible Three - 0 -2

simpsons-leonardo-nimoy.gif
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 6,747
    I had not made the connection that Dead Reckoning is like Billion Dollar Brain (or if I had, i forgot). In fact, this dialogue is from the movie:

-Who ordered you to kill me? Leo?
    -I had to do it. It was an order... from the Brain.

(The Brain being the supercomputer guiding a fight against communism).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    What was that I read before about MI2 being eliminated? ;)

I'm a little surprised that MI2 wasn't the first one to be knocked out. I have like all 7 of the MI films thus far, but MI2 is my clear least favourite.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Saturday (9/2)

M:I Ghost Protocol - 21 (+1)
    M:I Fallout - 21 (-2)
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 23

Eliminated:

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Saturday Vote (9/2)

M:I Ghost Protocol - 21
    M:I Rogue Nation - 25 (+1)
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 21 (-2)

Eliminated:

Mission: Impossible Three (bafflingly)

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Saturday Vote (9/2)

Mission: Impossible Two - 4 (-2)
    M:I Ghost Protocol - 21
    M:I Rogue Nation - 26 (+1)

Eliminated:

Rather surprised to see M:I3 go first.
    It really felt like a course correction after M:I2, but if I can be honest they’re all quite good. Also as a millennial, I do appreciate the 00’s era grainy, hyper-saturated look with a heavy dose of shaky cam ie. Bourne.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sunday

Mission: Impossible Two - 2 -2
    M:I Ghost Protocol - 22 +1
    M:I Rogue Nation - 26

Eliminated:

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited September 2023 Posts: 16,333
    Sunday

Mission: Impossible - 21+1
    Mission: Impossible Two - 0 -2

Eliminated:
    Mission: Impossible Two
  • Sunday

Mission: Impossible - 21
    M:I Ghost Protocol - 20 (-2)
    M:I Fallout - 22 (+1)

Eliminated:
    Sunday

Mission: Impossible - 21
    M:I Ghost Protocol - 20
    M:I Rogue Nation - 24 -2
    M:I Fallout - 23 +1

Eliminated:
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Sunday

Mission: Impossible - 19 (-2)